[Unfinished]

the madness which I always dread.

Ingredients
Ingredients
Twisted Dreamer
  profile   poems   message
Joined 21st Oct 2017
Forum Posts: 82

Though she doesn't repeat her rhymes at all... so maybe not that. Hmm.

Valeriyabeyond
Valeriyabeyond
Dhyanna
Dangerous Mind
3awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 3rd May 2020
Forum Posts: 1997

Ingredients said:

You cheated! My original quote only had four lines. You've added a fifth when you quoted me.

This is the original unfinished piece or your own?

Haha cheater?!
This is her unfinished piece
Mine is the shorter version

Yes I would have to agree with your comment on living versus dead poets

Ingredients
Ingredients
Twisted Dreamer
Joined 21st Oct 2017

"There is something which I dread
It is a dark and frightening thing
That sweeps along on destructive wing
The Fear of Madness
It comes to me in times of grief
and of sadness
It's is not the fear of death I dread
It is the fear of madness"

As for your interpretation of the poem. I'd argue that by simplifying it so much you are tossing away alot of good description and value which the reader wouldn't any longer be able to enjoy.

Her flow was inconsistent at times, but I feel it's nearly totally lost as you try to make it your own. I don't know if I would personally say you've finished her work if you lose the way she was attempting to have her words work through our eyes.

You leave the word, "wing" just hanging by itself, begging for a couplet to aid it for instance, I don't read that singular line as powerful enough, or with proper rhythm of words in order to warrant it to be alone. As I said before, she did not use the same rhyme twice. She did use the same  end rhymes with -Dread & Tread- and then at the end with -bed & ???- But I see alot of work put in to make sure that she didn't repeat the same rhyme twice.

Ingredients
Ingredients
Twisted Dreamer
Joined 21st Oct 2017

Whoop, I meant the word Dread. Not the word wing.

Valeriyabeyond
Valeriyabeyond
Dhyanna
Dangerous Mind
Joined 3rd May 2020

Ingredients said:Whoop, I meant the word Dread. Not the word wing.

Very very good critique
I would have to agree with you on every point

LilDragonFly
LilDragonFly
Tyrant of Words
United States
32awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 22nd July 2017
Forum Posts: 77

Ingredients said:Edgar Allan Poe created fiction/science fiction? I definitely do not agree with that assertion.

I took a The Great Courses course on the evolution of science fiction ... Mary Shelley is anointed as the progenitor of Sci Fi ... Poe is credited with being the father of the murder mystery ... "The Murders in the Rue Morgue" ...  

Valeriyabeyond
Valeriyabeyond
Dhyanna
Dangerous Mind
Joined 3rd May 2020

LilDragonFly said:

I took a The Great Courses course on the evolution of science fiction ... Mary Shelley is anointed as the progenitor of Sci Fi ... Poe is credited with being the father of the murder mystery ... "The Murders in the Rue Morgue" ...  

Edgar Allan Poe - Wikipedia
Jump to Genres He is also generally considered the inventor of the detective fiction genre and is further credited with contributing to the emerging genre of science fiction. Poe was the first well-known American writer to earn a living through writing alone, resulting in a financially difficult life and career.

LilDragonFly
LilDragonFly
Tyrant of Words
United States
Joined 22nd July 2017

Valeriyabeyond said:

Edgar Allan Poe - Wikipedia
Jump to Genres He is also generally considered the inventor of the detective fiction genre and is further credited with contributing to the emerging genre of science fiction. Poe was the first well-known American writer to earn a living through writing alone, resulting in a financially difficult life and career.

Of course another major figure was Jules Verne along with H.G. Wells ... great writers all ...

Valeriyabeyond
Valeriyabeyond
Dhyanna
Dangerous Mind
Joined 3rd May 2020

LilDragonFly said:

Of course another major figure was Jules Verne along with H.G. Wells ... great writers all ...

. His work also influenced science fiction, namely Jules Verne, who wrote a sequel to Poe's novel The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym of Nantucket called An Antarctic Mystery.

You are so right my LilDragonfly sister
The host of this thread (duh)( his name has slipped away I apologize)
mentioned how he enjoyed  the more recent poets or "undead"
poets of today
Do you remember the first time you read Tell Tale Heart and how you felt?
Have you felt anything like it since?

LilDragonFly
LilDragonFly
Tyrant of Words
United States
Joined 22nd July 2017

Valeriyabeyond said:

. His work also influenced science fiction, namely Jules Verne, who wrote a sequel to Poe's novel The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym of Nantucket called An Antarctic Mystery.

You are so right my LilDragonfly sister
The host of this thread (duh)( his name has slipped away I apologize)
mentioned how he enjoyed  the more recent poets or "undead"
poets of today
Do you remember the first time you read Tell Tale Heart and how you felt?
Have you felt anything like it since?

I always reread my favorite Poe stories in the month of October ... I do remember reading Tell Tale Heart ... I was taking a creative writing course in high school ... made me want to become a writer ...

Valeriyabeyond
Valeriyabeyond
Dhyanna
Dangerous Mind
Joined 3rd May 2020

LilDragonFly said:

I'm sorry that post was a bit scrambled need coffee
What I had planned on saying was, we have so many talented writers today Stephan King for one who I see as running with the Poe torch
Poe broke open the detective fiction genre therefore we cannot ignore his achievements
We must keep him alive by sharing and reading his great works

Duncan
Duncan
Duncan Alexander
Dangerous Mind
South Africa
1awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 4th May 2010
Forum Posts: 2140

Ingredients said:So I've never understood the idea of caring about what other specific famous or nonfamous poet someone else likes.

I was thinking about this today.

We have organised a poetry evening for tonight. It is the first gathering of our poetry evening in almost a year and there are a number of new and old poets who are looking forward to meeting.

I've been thinking about what I should write or share... I'm sitting at a conclusion that it doesn't really matter. It is the act of sharing that matters here. I'll share a silly poem that rhymes and is(at least on the surface) nonsense. I'll share a "haiku." I'll try and capture what it means to let someone in and share that in a poem too if I can.

Maybe these things won't mean anything to the people I am sharing with or visa versa but effort is never wasted and this(poetry) is a medium that I have sacrificed my self to again and again. I feel I have something to offer in this arena. <3

Edit: Lol. I just re-read the title. I thought you were asking whether "Poets really matter."

Ahavati
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
92awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 8260

Favorite poets were essential for my inspirational awakening into poetry. They remain a constant source today.

Ingredients
Ingredients
Twisted Dreamer
Joined 21st Oct 2017

Ahavati said:Favorite poets were essential for my inspirational awakening into poetry. They remain a constant source today.

Very interesting. I am sure that is true for most people. For me though, it was my grandmother's poetry which drew me in.

Go to page:
Go to: