Go to page:

Do Favorite Poets Really Matter?

Ingredients
Ingredients
Twisted Dreamer
  profile   poems   message
Joined 21st Oct 2017
Forum Posts: 82

So I've never understood the idea of caring about what other specific famous or nonfamous poet someone else likes. Despite the number of people that tend to ask this question.

Here is my argument.

It's all dependent on your own personal tastes. It's equivalent to talking about your taste in music.

Here we are at a party, and someone walks up to you and asks you what bands you like. Suddenly you are on the spot. They are obviously thinking about the bands they like and are looking to make a connection through those and will likely judge you based on your answer even if they don't say so.

Isn't the type of music more important, the style, the genre. Those are the people I believe understand what is more important and relatable, those who ask what you like, not who you like.

Is this an obvious fact? Is it not? Hmm. Other thoughts or rebuttals?

Valeriyabeyond
Valeriyabeyond
Dhyanna
Dangerous Mind
3awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 3rd May 2020
Forum Posts: 1997

Ingredients said:So I've never understood the idea of caring about what other specific famous or nonfamous poet someone else likes. Despite the number of people that tend to ask this question.

Here is my argument.

It's all dependent on your own personal tastes. It's equivalent to talking about your taste in music.

Here we are at a party, and someone walks up to you and asks you what bands you like. Suddenly you are on the spot. They are obviously thinking about the bands they like and are looking to make a connection through those and will likely judge you based on your answer even if they don't say so.

Isn't the type of music more important, the style, the genre. Those are the people I believe understand what is more important and relatable, those who ask what you like, not who you like.

Is this an obvious fact? Is it not? Hmm. Other thoughts or rebuttals?

I would have to say it does matter
If I were to say I like Romantacism what poem or poet would you think of ?
If I said the fiction or science fiction genre which poet or poem would you think of ?

Ingredients
Ingredients
Twisted Dreamer
Joined 21st Oct 2017

I'd say you are hitting the point I was originally trying to make. Poets, at least many tend to write about a multitude of topics. Even from those, not everyone likes every poem about any subject from an author. I'm not saying that we shouldn't be able to go from a genre to a more specific writer/musician. I just disagree with starting out with specifics.

If I were a better and more knowledgeable man about all things famous poets I could probably give you recommendations about those two genres for famous names. It also doesn't help that I give no shits about famous poets.

Though I could give you a decent Romanticism poet though she is not a member of this website and she appears to have taken down her poem which was rather nice and romantic about her husband that I liked. She is always switching up her posted works to showcase others because she is a better person than I. But I sadly can't link you to the specific poem I was thinking about.

Fiction is easier, though science fiction I would be hard-pressed.
Here is my recommendation for fiction. A great writer I enjoy.
https://allpoetry.com/poem/12656002-Terra-Firma-by-Djembeweaver

Valeriyabeyond
Valeriyabeyond
Dhyanna
Dangerous Mind
Joined 3rd May 2020

Ingredients said:I'd say you are hitting the point I was originally trying to make. Poets, at least many tend to write about a multitude of topics. Even from those, not everyone likes every poem about any subject from an author. I'm not saying that we shouldn't be able to go from a genre to a more specific writer/musician. I just disagree with starting out with specifics.

If I were a better and more knowledgeable man about all things famous poets I could probably give you recommendations about those two genres for famous names. It also doesn't help that I give no shits about famous poets.

Though I could give you a decent Romanticism poet though she is not a member of this website and she appears to have taken down her poem which was rather nice and romantic about her husband that I liked. She is always switching up her posted works to showcase others because she is a better person than I. But I sadly can't link you to the specific poem I was thinking about.

Fiction is easier, though science fiction I would be hard-pressed.
Here is my recommendation for fiction. A great writer I enjoy.
https://allpoetry.com/poem/12656002-Terra-Firma-by-Djembeweaver

Thank you I will check that out

Edgar Allan Poe
Wrote Romantacism and he was the creator of the fiction/science fiction genre
His work was beyond Gothic beyond
So, a new genre was created
Thanks that was fun

Ingredients
Ingredients
Twisted Dreamer
Joined 21st Oct 2017

I should of course first had asked another broad question about whether or not you prefer rhyming poetry or free form before I would have recommended him to you.

Valeriyabeyond
Valeriyabeyond
Dhyanna
Dangerous Mind
Joined 3rd May 2020

Ingredients said:I should of course first had asked another broad question about whether or not you prefer rhyming poetry or free form before I would have recommended him to you.

Free verse is my preference
I do read rhyme also
I don't write rhyme very often

Ingredients
Ingredients
Twisted Dreamer
Joined 21st Oct 2017

Edgar Allan Poe created fiction/science fiction? I definitely do not agree with that assertion.

Ingredients
Ingredients
Twisted Dreamer
Joined 21st Oct 2017

Frankenstein is attributed as the first science fiction book, created in 1818. Poe was born in 1809. Unless you mean to tell me he was creating science fiction, or even fiction at the age of at the most 9. I disagree.

Valeriyabeyond
Valeriyabeyond
Dhyanna
Dangerous Mind
Joined 3rd May 2020

Ingredients said:I should of course first had asked another broad question about whether or not you prefer rhyming poetry or free form before I would have recommended him to you.

Very good read
Thanlk you for the link
Do you know of Lucretia Davidson?
1808-1825

Some of her work was left unfinished when she died and became public domain
She wrote Romantacism

I took the liberty of finishing one of her pieces although I don't publish it
except to share it like now

There is something which I dread
It is a dark and frightening thing
That sweeps along on destructive wing
It comes to me in times of grief
and of sadness
It's is not the fear of death I dread
It is the fear of madness

Ingredients
Ingredients
Twisted Dreamer
Joined 21st Oct 2017

Of course, I don't know of Lucretia. I hope I didn't give you the impression that I know many famous writers outside the biggest names at least.

Valeriyabeyond
Valeriyabeyond
Dhyanna
Dangerous Mind
Joined 3rd May 2020

Ingredients said:Of course, I don't know of Lucretia. I hope I didn't give you the impression that I know many famous writers outside the biggest names at least.

There is always room for knowledge
For myself if I were to research a poet their work or life would have to intrigue me
Her life was fascinating

Ingredients
Ingredients
Twisted Dreamer
Joined 21st Oct 2017

Hmm... Interesting poem you've shared. If I may hazard a guess.

"There is something which I dread

(These last four lines are yours?)

and of sadness
It is the fear of madness"

Valeriyabeyond
Valeriyabeyond
Dhyanna
Dangerous Mind
Joined 3rd May 2020

Ingredients said:Hmm... Interesting poem you've shared. If I may hazard a guess.

"There is something which I dread

(These last four lines are yours?)

The Fear of Madness
and of sadness
It is the fear of madness"

HERE is something which I dread,
It is a dark, a fearful thing;
It steals along with withering tread,
Or sweeps on wild destruction's wing.

That thought comes o'er me in the hour
Of grief, of sickness, or of sadness;
'Tis not the dread of death--'tis more,
It is the dread of madness.

O! may these throbbing pulses pause,
Forgetful of their feverish course;
May this hot brain, which, burning, glows
With all its fiery whirlpool's force,

Be cold, and motionless, and still,
A tenant of its lowly bed,
But let not dark delirium steal--
[Unfinished]

Ingredients
Ingredients
Twisted Dreamer
Joined 21st Oct 2017

Valeriyabeyond said:

There is always room for knowledge
For myself if I were to research a poet their work or life would have to intrigue me
Her life was fascinating

I don't doubt that fact. History tends to be interesting after the present in my opinion. Especially when it is written about people who are famous.

I personally enjoy reading poetry of those who are living. Not because I think there is nothing to learn or enjoy about past poets. But because I feel people want to point at the past and say something was great, and often ignore those who are great in front of us.

Ingredients
Ingredients
Twisted Dreamer
Joined 21st Oct 2017

Valeriyabeyond said:

HERE is something which I dread,
It is a dark, a fearful thing;
It steals along with withering tread,
Or sweeps on wild destruction's wing.

That thought comes o'er me in the hour
Of grief, of sickness, or of sadness;
'Tis not the dread of death--'tis more,
It is the dread of madness.

O! may these throbbing pulses pause,
Forgetful of their feverish course;
May this hot brain, which, burning, glows
With all its fiery whirlpool's force,

Be cold, and motionless, and still,
A tenant of its lowly bed,
But let not dark delirium steal--
[Unfinished]

You cheated! My original quote only had four lines. You've added a fifth when you quoted me.

This is the original unfinished piece or your own?

Go to page:
Go to: