Spirit of Indigenous America

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14554

31 Native American Authors to Read Right Now

“Telling our own stories on our own terms is a political act."

In October, Oprah named U.S. Poet Laureate (and Super Soul Sunday guest) Joy Harjo’s anthology of Native American poetry as one of the seven books that gets her through hard times. Featuring the work of 161 Indigenous poets, When the Light of the World Was Subdued, Our Songs Came Through: A Norton Anthology of Native Nations Poetry demonstrates the diversity within the Native American community—and its literary power.

[ . . . ]

https://www.oprahmag.com/entertainment/g34483103/native-american-authors/

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

528 families in Navajo Nation get electricity through CARES Act funds

More than 500 homes in Navajo Nation now have electricity after the tribal utility authority was allowed to use millions of dollars in CARES Act funds.

[ . . . ]

https://kutv.com/news/local/528-families-in-navajo-nation-get-electricity-through-cares-act-funds

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5573

Ahavati said:528 families in Navajo Nation get electricity through CARES Act funds

More than 500 homes in Navajo Nation now have electricity after the tribal utility authority was allowed to use millions of dollars in CARES Act funds.

[ . . . ]

https://kutv.com/news/local/528-families-in-navajo-nation-get-electricity-through-cares-act-funds

It's heartwarming to know that Americans are not only receiving aid in these difficult times, but that caring people are putting that aid into long term good use.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Cherokee Nation To Put Native Language Speakers High On Vaccine Priority List

The Cherokee Nation expects to get its first allotment of COVID-19 vaccines next week.
The Nation has 975 doses of the Pfizer vaccine coming in the first batch, which will go to healthcare workers. Cherokee Elders, especially native language speakers, are also high on the priority list.

"We've lost 20 of those speakers, in recent months, strictly to COVID,” Cherokee Nation Chief of Staff Todd Enlow said. “So, we're doing everything we can to try and protect those speakers and those that hold our culture during this whole pandemic."

The Cherokee nation has almost 900 frontline health workers they hope to vaccinate as soon as possible and about 2,700 employees in critical positions, many who interact with the elderly.

[ . . . ]

https://www.newson6.com/story/5fd2b8c62b94070c2fa73d03/cherokee-nation-to-put-native-language-speakers-high-on-vaccine-priority-list?fbclid=IwAR2heqvqOnMpPltaTj33TEqTMVhAWLrhwi_fwfSc_iyEYyXRhEpOg1seOmk

EdibleWords
Tyrant of Words
8awards
Joined 7th Jan 2018
Forum Posts: 2993

Reparations will be in order after this. Praying for them.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Nez Perce Tribe reclaims 148 acres of ancestral land in Eastern Oregon

Purchase includes traditional fishing grounds and meeting place.
The Nez Perce Tribe is reclaiming an ancestral village site in the Eastern Oregon town of Joseph more than a century after being pushed out the area.

This month, the tribe purchased 148 acres of an area known as “the place of boulders,” or Am’sáaxpa.

Chief Joseph held council on the ridge above, before a sweeping view of the Wallowa Mountains. Hundreds of tribal members would camp there at the peak of the fishing season and catch sockeye salmon along the Wallowa River.

“There’s a lot of excitement buzzing around,” Nez Perce Tribal Executive Committee Chairman Shannon Wheeler said. “We feel fortunate to be at this juncture in time to be able to say that we are on our way home. We feel the landscape misses us, and we miss the landscape.”

[ . . . ]

https://www.opb.org/article/2020/12/25/nez-perce-tribe-eastern-oregon-reclaims-ancestral-land/?fbclid=IwAR0bHsnMP_cLMrPrRAWvDqhvb8NUsIdOJ0fnY0m25gJAGOLp5pCszBlVy8M

Blackwolf
I.M.Blackwolf
Tyrant of Words
13awards
Joined 31st Mar 2018
Forum Posts: 3572

That is great...

Though , there might be a problem in the future...

I would hope not , yet that area , actually most of
Eastern Oregon , is heavily white racist...

Most do not know , Portland is KKK headquarters
the western United States , and many members
settled in Eastern Oregon , and more came...

I used to live in the least racist area there , Eugene ,
yet I did much research , and listened , and saw ,
what was going on...

They shall stand strong , I am sure...

They just should be aware what they could be
stepping into , in that area...

I support them , and wish them the best !

Valeriyabeyond
Dhyana
Dangerous Mind
3awards
Joined 3rd May 2020
Forum Posts: 2668

Blackwolf said:That is great...

Though , there might be a problem in the future...

I would hope not , yet that area , actually most of
Eastern Oregon , is heavily white racist...

Most do not know , Portland is KKK headquarters
the western United States , and many members
settled in Eastern Oregon , and more came...

I used to live in the least racist area there , Eugene ,
yet I did much research , and listened , and saw ,
what was going on...

They shall stand strong , I am sure...

They just should be aware what they could be
stepping into , in that area...

I support them , and wish them the best !

Lets try and keep this thread in support of Indigenous a celebration of all that they are and do
Portland is actually dominated by the Russians
KKK and White Supremacy is not the same with the latter mentioned being anti drugs and alcohol
Which the KKK is not
I have gone against my guidelines to post this but I wanted to back myself up
In the future I would like to see us support each other's posts not voice negativity
Thanks

KKK
After several years of steady decline in membership, the Klan may be at the beginning of somewhat of a plateau. It appears that 2019 efforts to remain relevant, from debuting new websites to content creation in the form of talk shows and flyers, have proven relatively effective in maintaining the Klan’s numbers. Those membership numbers are unlikely to rise in the coming year, due to infighting and difficulty maintaining alliances over the long term

Valeriyabeyond
Dhyana
Dangerous Mind
3awards
Joined 3rd May 2020

Ahavati said:Nez Perce Tribe reclaims 148 acres of ancestral land in Eastern Oregon

Purchase includes traditional fishing grounds and meeting place.
The Nez Perce Tribe is reclaiming an ancestral village site in the Eastern Oregon town of Joseph more than a century after being pushed out the area.

This month, the tribe purchased 148 acres of an area known as “the place of boulders,” or Am’sáaxpa.

Chief Joseph held council on the ridge above, before a sweeping view of the Wallowa Mountains. Hundreds of tribal members would camp there at the peak of the fishing season and catch sockeye salmon along the Wallowa River.

“There’s a lot of excitement buzzing around,” Nez Perce Tribal Executive Committee Chairman Shannon Wheeler said. “We feel fortunate to be at this juncture in time to be able to say that we are on our way home. We feel the landscape misses us, and we miss the landscape.”

[ . . . ]

https://www.opb.org/article/2020/12/25/nez-perce-tribe-eastern-oregon-reclaims-ancestral-land/?fbclid=IwAR0bHsnMP_cLMrPrRAWvDqhvb8NUsIdOJ0fnY0m25gJAGOLp5pCszBlVy8M

Great piece Ahavati
Thank you

Blackwolf
I.M.Blackwolf
Tyrant of Words
13awards
Joined 31st Mar 2018

I repeat...Portland is still dominated by the KKK...

I am totally against them...

White Supremacy and KKK are exactly the same...

And White Supremacy has ***NEVER*** been anti - drugs and alcohol...

Perhaps certain members...definitely not the movement...

And they do not support Native American rights ,
and fight against it in any way they can...

Please , get real , my friend...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unite_the_Right_rally

They are still strong , just under different names , and titles...

And I personally know they are against any Native American help , or
claims of rights in this country...do not try to shut me down...

I know of what I speak

EdibleWords
Tyrant of Words
8awards
Joined 7th Jan 2018
Forum Posts: 2993

Racism remains one of the most mysterious and repulsive phenomena I’ve encountered. It’s completely unnatural, yet is threaded through all places like weeds among roses - perhaps it is otherworldly demonic possessions or some sociopathic aberration of a damaged frontal cortex?

One thing that I loved about certain prominently featured tribes is the Great Spirit prophecies and inclusive brotherly love.

Tribalism - as in the rest of our world - ravaged their beautiful lands for many millennia, yet they are survived and honorably represented by the humanist, saintly teachers of their history - in my mind. The winners among them remain as the children of the Great Spirit. When I think of them, I think of family in Spirit and as one great Tribe.

I look towards their vision of shared utopia for my own hope in dark times.

Valeriyabeyond
Dhyana
Dangerous Mind
3awards
Joined 3rd May 2020

EdibleWords said:Racism remains one of the most mysterious and repulsive phenomena I’ve encountered. It’s completely unnatural, yet is threaded through all places like weeds among roses - perhaps it is otherworldly demonic possessions or some sociopathic aberration of a damaged frontal cortex?

One thing that I loved about certain prominently featured tribes is the Great Spirit prophecies and inclusive brotherly love.

Tribalism - as in the rest of our world - ravaged their beautiful lands for many millennia, yet they are survived and honorably represented by the humanist, saintly teachers of their history - in my mind. The winners among them remain as the children of the Great Spirit. When I think of them, I think of family in Spirit and as one great Tribe.

I look towards their vision of shared utopia for my own hope in dark times.

Beautifully spoken

Valeriyabeyond
Dhyana
Dangerous Mind
3awards
Joined 3rd May 2020

Blackwolf said:I repeat...Portland is still dominated by the KKK...

I am totally against them...

White Supremacy and KKK are exactly the same...

And White Supremacy has ***NEVER*** been anti - drugs and alcohol...

Perhaps certain members...definitely not the movement...

And they do not support Native American rights ,
and fight against it in any way they can...

Please , get real , my friend...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unite_the_Right_rally

They are still strong , just under different names , and titles...

And I personally know they are against any Native American help , or
claims of rights in this country...do not try to shut me down...

I know of what I speak

The KKK and neo Nazis namely "Sober Angry Youth" The "Straightedge" are Russian white supremacist that are against drugs and have occupied Portland along with many other groups of a different names with same ideology for quite some time
They stand for purity
And no I don't support them but I do have friends and aquaintences in the Russian syndicate (not neo Nazis, not skin heads) they are white collar

Yes to whom you speak of  are against Native Americans

I would never shut you down

Blackwolf
I.M.Blackwolf
Tyrant of Words
13awards
Joined 31st Mar 2018

https://sacredland.org/hopi-prophecy/

I saw this very special soul , both at the Whole Life Expo
in San Francisco , years ago , then in Santa Cruz , after...

His words are most special , and important...

Look him up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfFJFgnmJdE

https://youtu.be/qxs8T_RW0I4

Blackwolf
I.M.Blackwolf
Tyrant of Words
13awards
Joined 31st Mar 2018

Valeriyabeyond said:

The KKK and neo Nazis namely "Sober Angry Youth" The "Straightedge" are Russian white supremacist that are against drugs and have occupied Portland along with many other groups of a different names with same ideology for quite some time
They stand for purity
And no I don't support them but I do have friends and aquaintences in the Russian syndicate (not neo Nazis, not skin heads) they are white collar

Yes to whom you speak of  are against Native Americans

I would never shut you down

I think you need to read this , Val...

And understand those same people have not only discriminated
against blacks , but Native Americans in Portland , long before the
reported 1800's , when they were first recorded...

You may know of ***modern*** groups , but you
apparently do not know Oregon's history...

Best to you...check out the article

https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2016/07/racist-history-portland/492035/

Go to page:
Go to: