Blackwolf
Blackwolf
I.M.Blackwolf
Tyrant of Words
12awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 31st Mar 2018
Forum Posts: 3457

Ahavati said:Snow under a microscope. ❄💙

*That* is absolutely beautiful , Ahavati !

Josh
Josh
Joshua Bond
Tyrant of Words
Portugal
35awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 2nd Feb 2017
Forum Posts: 874

Ahavati said:Snow under a microscope. ❄💙

Amazing photo; but according to Science it's just an algorithm subject to Dataism (yawn)

JohnnyBlaze
JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States
20awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 4597

Josh said:

Amazing photo; but according to Science it's just an algorithm subject to Dataism (yawn)

Spockjosh, is that you ..?

Josh
Josh
Joshua Bond
Tyrant of Words
Portugal
Joined 2nd Feb 2017

JohnnyBlaze said:

Spockjosh, is that you ..?

Yuval Harari's "Homo Deus: A Brief History of Tomorrow", which I''ve just finished reading, is probably more responsible for this insight

Ahavati
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
98awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 9707

This is how the jacaranda (violet tree) blooms in Buenos Aires Argentina

Blackwolf
Blackwolf
I.M.Blackwolf
Tyrant of Words
12awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 31st Mar 2018
Forum Posts: 3457

Ahavati said:This is how the jacaranda (violet tree) blooms in Buenos Aires Argentina

Gorgeous , Ahavati...

Just hope no one lives there and is allergic to the tree...

Josh
Josh
Joshua Bond
Tyrant of Words
Portugal
Joined 2nd Feb 2017

Ahavati said:This is how the jacaranda (violet tree) blooms in Buenos Aires Argentina

Great photo. We tried to grow one bought in the Alantejo but it didn't survive 'up north' here. The colours on your photo though remind me why we tried to grow it. It's a lovely tree.

Ahavati
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Josh said:

Great photo. We tried to grow one bought in the Alantejo but it didn't survive 'up north' here. The colours on your photo though remind me why we tried to grow it. It's a lovely tree.

Josh, is it because of the cold weather? I was thinking of getting one for my meditation garden; however, it does get somewhat cold here in the south. Though it's more apt to stay on the warmer side.

Josh
Josh
Joshua Bond
Tyrant of Words
Portugal
Joined 2nd Feb 2017

Ahavati said:

Josh, is it because of the cold weather? I was thinking of getting one for my meditation garden; however, it does get somewhat cold here in the south. Though it's more apt to stay on the warmer side.

I think the problem is cold. We get frosts here Dec/Jan but the sun usually eases them off by mid-morning. However, even just a couple of hours' frost is enough to kill them, I think.
There ara jacaranda trees in the plazas here and around, but like bougainvillea (also have failed attempts to cultivate), it needs protecting in the early years from frost -- once established (5? years) it may be o.k. Worth a try given how lovely it is. You'll probably need to wrap it with horticultural fleece or equivalent during the cold/frost times.

Ahavati
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Josh said:

I think the problem is cold. We get frosts here Dec/Jan but the sun usually eases them off by mid-morning. However, even just a couple of hours' frost is enough to kill them, I think.
There ara jacaranda trees in the plazas here and around, but like bougainvillea (also have failed attempts to cultivate), it needs protecting in the early years from frost -- once established (5? years) it may be o.k. Worth a try given how lovely it is. You'll probably need to wrap it with horticultural fleece or equivalent during the cold/frost times.

I just double-checked the planting zone I lived in, and I am basically the same as Florida ( which kinda surprised me ). Jacaranda trees seem to flourish there, and are also successfully grown indoors and have been successful bonzi trees further north! I had no idea!

I am definitely going to look into one. I love purple and that just jumped out at me.

JohnnyBlaze
JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States
20awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 4597

Ahavati said:

I just double-checked the planting zone I lived in, and I am basically the same as Florida ( which kinda surprised me ). Jacaranda trees seem to flourish there, and are also successfully grown indoors and have been successful bonzi trees further north! I had no idea!

I am definitely going to look into one. I love purple and that just jumped out at me.

HA! I knew it was purple!

SCORE:
Johnny - 1 | Colors - 3,874

anna_grin
anna_grin
ilchruthach
Dangerous Mind
15awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 24th Mar 2013
Forum Posts: 3084

“apple chase” painted by michael the gorilla. apple is the name of michael’s companion dog.

koko and michael grew up learning sign language in a revolutionary study on animal intelligence and communication. koko painted for fun, but michael was the true artist. he was orphaned at three when poachers killed his mother; when asked about his mother later he recounted the story, saying “neck, cut, bad”. he used his art to speak far more than he used his sign language

if that’s not inspiring idk what is

Ahavati
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
Joined 11th Apr 2015

anna_grin said:“apple chase” painted by michael the gorilla. apple is the name of michael’s companion dog.

koko and michael grew up learning sign language in a revolutionary study on animal intelligence and communication. koko painted for fun, but michael was the true artist. he was orphaned at three when poachers killed his mother; when asked about his mother later he recounted the story, saying “neck, cut, bad”. he used his art to speak far more than he used his sign language

if that’s not inspiring idk what is

Thank you for bringing that angle to this thread, anna. Animals are more intelligent than we give them credit for. They suffer so needlessly due to human greed.

xo

JohnnyBlaze said:

HA! I knew it was purple!

SCORE:
Johnny - 1 | Colors - 3,874

LMFAO! For those who don't know, Johnny is colorblinded!

anna_grin
anna_grin
ilchruthach
Dangerous Mind
15awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 24th Mar 2013
Forum Posts: 3084

Ahavati said:

Thank you for bringing that angle to this thread, anna. Animals are more intelligent than we give them credit for. They suffer so needlessly due to human greed.

xo

it’s an amazing story tbh. koko was more of a talker and a socialite, but if you look at paintings of both koko and Michael you can almost instantly tell which is which. you can see how he used art to communicate his deep feelings.  you can buy prints to support the koko foundation and if i was to get one I’d want one of michaels

Ahavati
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
Joined 11th Apr 2015

anna_grin said:

it’s an amazing story tbh. koko was more of a talker and a socialite, but if you look at paintings of both koko and Michael you can almost instantly tell which is which. you can see how he used art to communicate his deep feelings.  you can buy prints to support the koko foundation and if i was to get one I’d want one of michaels

Such a shame Michael passed away. I'm curious as to why they didn't allow Koko to teach another gorilla?

Go to page:
Go to: