Freedom of Speech and Censorship Part 2

drone
drone
Dangerous Mind
Greece
10awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 3rd Sep 2011
Forum Posts: 1349

New face mask rules for taxi passengers will not apply to those in chauffeur-driven cars, Downing Street has said.
Boris Johnson announced further restrictions for England on Tuesday in a bid to stop the spread of coronavirus, including expanded rules over when face coverings should be worn.
The new restrictions included a rule stating passengers in taxis and private hire vehicles would have to wear face masks.

Sad you not rich
you be slave

cabcool
cabcool
Fire of Insight
Jamaica
7awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 27th Feb 2014
Forum Posts: 400

Valeriyabeyond said:500 Word essay on my perspective of what it would be like being black.
This story is of a young black slave a day in the life of if you will.

The Day I Hugged A Peach Tree

People say life is hard, I guess it is for some folks,  what I  know , is life is life
Mamma said,  do your best my child and look up for the Lord is watching you.
That's all I remember of mamma .
Hard was all I  knew,  I  couldn't say any different.  I learned to live life the way the missus wanted me to, never talk back,  and don't ask no questions.

Never did meet a missus who took kindly to me. I still have the mark from my first missus when I was three.
She stuck me with that hot poker right here covered half my back It's smaller now.   I can't see it,  some say it looks like one of the alphabets  from a book 
I was always working with the missus everyday till dark. After a time missus would read to me from books some had pictures she never did let me see um 
I wanted to read so bad but I wasn't gonna ask 

The day was hot when the wagon I was
in stopped on a dusty old road.
I was hearing from the man drivin the wagon how bad we was stinkin, wasn't nothing just us,  I was thinkin

Lines of men was gathering  outside the wagon,  I could hear a commotion I could tell they was white by the way they was  talking 
The driver pulls  me out by my arm and leads me to some wooden stairs, I stood on these wooden boards kinda like the pallets we sleep on. A man in the front is yelling " take it off let me see her" I was just fourteen years old and had been traded four times by now I don't know why the other folks didn't want me.
I was a tad bit prettier than some 
It don't matter I was here again 

A white man with a big belly and white hair grabs my dress and rips it off of me while another man a big man throws a bucket of water on me 
They all started laughin and pointing saying I look like a drowned rat 
I could not cry,  not now otherwise nobody would buy me 
I had to be bought today, I sho didn't want another day on that wagon.
The man with the big belly paid for me that day I member him saying 
"You little nigga whore you better be worth it" . Before going to my bed he took me,  still naked  to where the peaches grew, lots and lots of peaches.
He tied my arms around the tree like I was hugging it and then he did what they all do 
He carried on with fornacating me.
By fourteen I knew how to not,  pay attention to them when they do that
I used to cry,  but they would just strike me with the back of their hand,  them hard knuckles hurt real bad
So I just wait till they finishes

Life for a young slave girl was unimaginably difficult 
I can only guess how they must have altered their way of thinking in order to survive 
This story may seem passive and the girls attitude aloof this depiction of life
Is that of a girl who knew only the life of a slave Born into slavery it  was all she knew 

Hi, Valeriya

You have made a beautiful metaphor out of the agony of a slave girl’s experience.  It reminds me of Maya Angelou’s autobiography and poem, “I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings” (1969), which shows the virtues of strength of character as antidotes to racism and trauma.

I apologise for the extended delay in responding to your heartfelt offering; there was never any doubt on my part that I would have an eventual response for you.  You may recall I was having a difficult time, what with the loss of my mother, and needed a break from the forum.  Not everyone would feel comfortable to gush at the challenge I put forward.  Thanks for your gracious participation; matters of racial divide obviously concern you as much as all those who dedicate their lives to fighting human prejudicial folly.

Here, you have cast yourself as a young slave girl coming of age to physical and then sexual abuse.  The harsh emblems of White supremacy and Black subservience chronicle your vicarious introspection—from seen and not heard to poker iron branding to the auction block to sexual sampling and carnal abuse.  The “mama” imagery is spot on.  You can imagine a poor slave mother having to suckle the children of her White mistress before attending to her own.  You can imagine the dread she feels to see her own child abused without her being in a position to utter a single word in self-defense.  You can imagine the caution lessons of pretense she has to teach her child just for the sake of survival.  Then there are the all-seeing eyes of God through whom comes a flickering faith that things will one day be better.

Your words come across here with pointed clarity and understanding:  

This story may seem passive and the girls attitude aloof this depiction of life Is that of a girl who knew only the life of a slave Born into slavery it was all she knew.”

No need to apologise for the presumably passive voice or aloof attitude.  It’s as if you have lived the story from the inside out, so well have you assumed the persona of the victim.

Bravo, Valeriya!  You could either elicit poetry from this or do something superbly prosaic with it.

Thanks for accepting the challenge and waiting so patiently for my response.  Don’t hesitate to share your further thoughts on my assessment.

lepperochan
lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
66awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 13666

Cabcool, good to see you. most of us have done what you asked. I wonder if you'd be able to write an essay from the perspective of an average white guy

fair is fair and all that jazz

cabcool
cabcool
Fire of Insight
Jamaica
7awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 27th Feb 2014
Forum Posts: 400

lepperochan said:Cabcool, good to see you. most of us have done what you asked. I wonder if you'd be able to write an essay from the perspective of an average white guy

fair is fair and all that jazz

Fair is fair, lepp; I agree.
I will do it.
But only because you have asked.

Your purpose for asking is probably lost, however, in the (il)logic of the situation.  Blacks have suffered for centuries at the hands of White supremacists in the so-called pre-emancipation and post-emancipation worlds.  Getting a White person to assume the status of a Black person for the sake of coming to terms with what it feels like to be the underdog kind of makes sense to balancing the weight of the situation.

Now, why would it be important for a Black person to want to put himself in the position of his White oppressor -- to justify the validity of cruelty??  Do you see that this does not make sense?

Anyway, you are my brother, and I will do as you ask, just for the sake of the brotherhood and for the challenge.

lepperochan
lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Joined 1st Apr 2011

Hullo

yeah I see what you are saying, good fellow. is why I wouldnt ask you to put yourself in the mind of an oppressor, just an average white guy trying to survive the 21st century

figured it would be more of a challenge.
I mean no disrespect, there is some method to my madness

it's very generous of you to accept, and I thank you heaps and bunches. dont feel tethered to a word count

Ahavati
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
91awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 7889

cabcool said:

Fair is fair, lepp; I agree.
I will do it.
But only because you have asked.

Your purpose for asking is probably lost, however, in the (il)logic of the situation.  Blacks have suffered for centuries at the hands of White supremacists in the so-called pre-emancipation and post-emancipation worlds.  Getting a White person to assume the status of a Black person for the sake of coming to terms with what it feels like to be the underdog kind of makes sense to balancing the weight of the situation.

Now, why would it be important for a Black person to want to put himself in the position of his White oppressor -- to justify the validity of cruelty??  Do you see that this does not make sense?

Anyway, you are my brother, and I will do as you ask, just for the sake of the brotherhood and for the challenge.

Cabcool, if it helps, write from an abolitionist's point of view. There were plenty of white abolitionists such as Isaac T Hopper and Thomas Garrett who were instrumental in the Underground Railroad. Which as you are most likely aware, freed at least 30,000 enslaved people, and potentially more than 100,000, escaped to Canada via the Railroad.

Ahavati
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
Joined 11th Apr 2015

The U.S. is 244 years old.

For the first 142 years, women couldn't possess property, could not lawfully keep any money they acquired through inheritance, etc., and didn't have the right to vote. Instead, women were required to concentrate on housework and motherhood.

Just 98 years later, SCJ Ruth Bader Ginsburg is the first women to ever lie in state at the U.S. Capital, and is also the first American Jew.

What is the point of this post? To remind everyone that women haven't always enjoyed the freedom that the majority of men have had. On the contrary, we have had to fight like hell for it by proving we are individual human beings vs chattal.

I hope that very soon we will see a woman leader in this country not because she is a woman, but because women have risen above, and proven they are ready.

lepperochan
lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Joined 1st Apr 2011

Ahavati said:

Cabcool, if it helps, write from an abolitionist's point of view. There were plenty of white abolitionists such as Isaac T Hopper and Thomas Garrett who were instrumental in the Underground Railroad. Which as you are most likely aware, freed at least 30,000 enslaved people, and potentially more than 100,000, escaped to Canada via the Railroad.

Hullo, lady

I understand where you're coming from. my challenge asks for a normal joe soap 21st century white guy just trying to survive . I set that for a reason. if you dont mind I'd like to keep it at those parameters.  I have every confidence in Cabcool's abilities

EdibleWords
EdibleWords
Dangerous Mind
8awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 7th Jan 2018
Forum Posts: 1834

Valeriyabeyond said:
Which they may have done. I  don't know I admitted I did not watch it .
Have warning messages
to those who may be affected by the images
as they sometimes do
for war documentaries
Make it publicly clear to the viewer that the affects of this type of lifestyle can not only lead to the heartache experienced by  those involved in their depiction,  but also to the dangers of pedophilia and child trafficking

A documentary within a documentary expressing the concerns of where this lifestyle could lead
Of course, too much, would take the emphasis off their message

The cutting away of the camera,  before the child grabs her crotch would help, the close ups are
not necessary

I cannot claim to be a director or production manager so I cannot foresee what it entails
to make a film  
I only know what I as a viewer, can do without

I do not have girls,  I have three boys,  and i do not have grandchildren.
I was never a "princess" as a child I was G-Joe
Oh heavens,  that's a whole new issue where parents promote war .

My point here,  is that I can't say how I would feel,  or what I would do differently as a parent as far as enrolling them in dance class, but I think I would lean more towards Tai  Kwon Do

I know two people who have seen this, both women, both liberals/Democrats. One is a psychologist. Her opinion is that those children were exploited and they exposed their breasts, btw, in addition to some other scary imagery - don’t want to repeat it. You should research it!

These are minors! and pedos have already weighed in! They are titillated and thrilled it was made. Ugh!

Bottom line: Don’t show a child being exploited to prove its wrong!

Any innocent adult who watches it and becomes secondarily traumatized is another victim of this film.

Valeriyabeyond
Valeriyabeyond
Valeriya
Dangerous Mind
3awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 3rd May 2020
Forum Posts: 1785

EdibleWords said:

I know two people who have seen this, both women, both liberals/Democrats. One is a psychologist. Her opinion is that those children were exploited and they exposed their breasts, btw, in addition to some other scary imagery - don’t want to repeat it. You should research it!

These are minors! and pedos have already weighed in! They are titillated and thrilled it was made. Ugh!

Bottom line: Don’t show a child being exploited to prove its wrong!

Any innocent adult who watches it and becomes secondarily traumatized is another victim of this film.

Carpe_Noctem
Carpe_Noctem
Did you know the producers auditioned 600 UNDERAGE girls, all having them do the same twerking dance.

Still think this isnt about normalising paedophila? Shame on the narcissistic parents that let their kids audition for this.

EdibleWords
EdibleWords
Dangerous Mind
Joined 7th Jan 2018

cabcool said:Were I A Black Man/Were I A Black Woman

Here is the challenge:

Were I A Black Man/Were I A Black Woman
A 500-word reflection

Could you write a 500-Word reflection in which you state what life should be like, were you a Black man or a Black woman?  Consider, without being necessarily limited to, the following prompts in your reflection:

•   White supremacy and Jim crow
•   Slavery and reparation
•   Black wall street and the economy
•   Police targeting and brutality
•   Politics and change
•   The place of John Howard Griffin

Background reading
•   Synopsis or Movie of John Howard Griffin’s “Black Like Me”  https://youtu.be/Ww0q4XhxPAA
•   Poem by cabcool [ONLY IF YOU DON’T MIND]:  “that i am black” http://mydo.cx/ZTVmMDdj

The inclusion of my personal poem is not for self-promotion.  Note I have not posted it to this thread.  I believe it is pertinent because it addresses a situation in which the persona is speaking from the point of view of being already Black, while you are being asked to imagine yourselves being Black.

Thank you.

Ok. I pick a woman from 2020.

My girlfriend laughed when I said what I wanted.

“You are black! Black girls will never be models.” She stopped quickly and her expression became more sympathetic.

I was angry. Tearing my gaze away down into my eyes in the coffee cup, they were as beautiful as everyone said. My blonde boyfriend loves my eyes. He never hits me unlike her ex-boyfriend did - who’s dad sadly didn’t teach him better because he was never there.

His parents love me. I wish I could say the same of my parents about him. My uncle loves him, but he’s from Africa. South Africa, but he always encourages me to just say Africa, like America is many states, but one. He’s a pan-African. He’s more open with me about these things than with my folks because we agree on politics these days.

I‘m voting for Trump, and so is he. Gone is the America who pretends the KKK can be ignored. Now, because of Trump, they are officially domestic terrorists.

Helping him at his thriving business on the edge of town, I told my uncle later that day what my friend said. Motioning me to sit in his golf cart before he drove us off his green he said, “You are an American! With the biggest, most beautiful dark brown eyes and strong bone structure. Your skin is flawless like your mother’s. Go for it! I moved here because it is the land of opportunity, so I could build my dreams and take those advantages back home!”

He also plans to take us back to Africa with him when he is ready. He tried talking with my parents about this desire last week for the first time. Mom and Dad are scared of the idea. They don’t feel like they will fit in, as they only speak English. But I’m excited!

They all agree it will be culture shock, and it sounds scary but I always love a good thrill! Next year my parents will let me visit with my uncle and his kids during summer break. They hope I’ll realize how much easier American culture is. Instead I will learn and bring home my confidence and experience and I really think Uncle and I will break them! They don’t realize how stubborn we can be!

I was warned, though. Even my uncle wonders if I will get the career of my dreams where we move. It might be more like settling. Lots of hard work, stumbling through awkward and even dangerous language confusion. South Africa has seen a lot of violence. This is where Uncle might suggest that we be open to other areas of Africa and remember, she is one, and she will be, again. But I was really hoping we could see my uncle’s home town. Sadly, it is on an unstable border. Maybe in ten years. Peace is spreading across the world. I have more hope today than ever before.

Lately, though, it’s been weird. I saw a man who was wearing blue (who looked too much like my dad for comfort) getting assaulted and called unbelievable names by white college kids who were trying to “dox” him.

I try not to let anything scare me, but I’m feeling nervous about the street activism these days. And then I saw a skinny guy with earrings in a pink shirt being screamed at because he had on a pink MAGA hat. One girl even threw her drink at him and called him bad word meaning - a bundle of sticks. You know the name. I’m sickened. Some white teens attacked my boyfriend yesterday and said he was a racist, to which I shouted, “he’s my boy, F-off!”

They screamed back “his parents have a flag like a bunch of fascists!” One of them pushed him. I got so mad I jumped and grabbed her hair, throwing her to the ground. She didn’t dare hit me. I got to go on a field trip because I’m BIPOC. It wasn’t a minority field trip, but the white kids in my class only - were excluded. Teacher’s idea.

Suddenly I felt bad for her and got up. She’s annoying and wrong as can be but she’s trying to do the right thing and now I have too much power.

The teacher steps in. Only asking me how I was. I said nothing to get the brat in trouble because only she would be punished with detention. I’d seen it before. She was too privileged to get away with anything. My stomach turning, I suddenly really wanted to leave America even more.

EdibleWords
EdibleWords
Dangerous Mind
Joined 7th Jan 2018

Valeriyabeyond said:

Carpe_Noctem
Carpe_Noctem
Did you know the producers auditioned 600 UNDERAGE girls, all having them do the same twerking dance.

Still think this isnt about normalising paedophila? Shame on the narcissistic parents that let their kids audition for this.

👍👍

Carpe_Noctem
Carpe_Noctem
Dangerous Mind
United Kingdom
Joined 3rd Mar 2013
Forum Posts: 2569

You know they film the auditions, makes one wonder how many of those audition tapes are in the hands of paedophiles

Ahavati
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
Joined 11th Apr 2015

In addition to my own grief this week, I have felt the family and friends of Breonna Taylor's so heavily. This verdict is absolutely heart-breaking.

Black Americans are #sickandtired of the lack of justice for police killings. The Breonna Taylor decision is yet another disappointment

"This was not a surprise for us, and that's the problem," said Ashlee Phillips, a 28-year-old businesswoman who just opened her own thrift shop in Louisville. "We may say 'we're not surprised,' but that doesn't mean that it's not traumatic."

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/27/us/breonna-taylor-frustration-black-community-trnd/index.html

EdibleWords
EdibleWords
Dangerous Mind
Joined 7th Jan 2018

True facts about Breonna Taylor

She wasn’t asleep, she was standing behind her boyfriend
Boyfriend shot first
Landlord heard loud knocking announcing the police
She was involved in crime including a homicide investigation at one point.

Go to page:
Go to: