Freedom of Speech and Censorship Part 2

drone
drone
Dangerous Mind
Greece
10awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 3rd Sep 2011
Forum Posts: 1283

Dozens of arrests have been reported amid a heated anti-lockdown protest in Melbourne, Australia, where hundreds gathered to demand an end to Covid-19 measures, meeting a heavy police presence and at times clashing with officers.
A sizable crowd descended on Melbourne's Shrine of Remembrance on Saturday morning for the ‘Freedom Day’ rally, calling on state authorities to rescind Victoria’s stage-four coronavirus restrictions, which include a nightly curfew.

Chants of “scam!” erupted from the crowd at certain points, apparently led by an elderly man, who was also heard saying: “I can’t believe this is my country! This is my Australia. I was born and bred here – for 82 years!”

A local reporter on the scene reported at least 20 arrests that she’d witnessed first-hand, sharing footage of black-clad officers as they clashed with demonstrators.

Starting their rally at the Shrine of Remembrance, a memorial for veterans of World War I in central Melbourne, the protesters were soon pushed away by riot police, who were seen gathered in large numbers around the area.

Some of the demonstrators have since abandoned the shrine and were seen flocking to another location, according to a local reporter, though their destination was unclear.

A number of arrests were made prior to the rally, with authorities serving warrants to those promoting the prohibited event on social media, including a pregnant woman, who likened her encounter with officers to a “kidnapping.”
Aussie police ‘SATISFIED’ with arrest of pregnant woman over anti-lockdown message. She described it as scary kidnapping

Police also reportedly stopped motorists approaching the area around the shrine on Saturday, checking IDs and detaining some individuals, apparently in hopes of preventing a larger gathering.

During a press briefing ahead of the protest, Victoria Premier Daniel Andrews also warned that the demonstration could result in a longer lockdown for the state, calling it “not safe,” “not smart,” and “not the law.”

“In fact, it is absolutely selfish for people to be out there protesting. The only protest we should be engaged in, the only argument, the only fight we should be engaged in as against this virus,” he said.
To date, Australia has tallied more than 26,000 coronavirus infections, as well as some 750 deaths. With about three-quarters of the country’s cases confined to Victoria, however, state authorities have maintained strict virus restrictions, even as activists, businesses and some MPs call to lift the lockdown, pointing to a severe economic recession brought by the measures and erosion of civil liberties.
Australia’s answer to Mao wants to extend his state of emergency for another YEAR. This should frighten anyone

cabcool
cabcool
Fire of Insight
Jamaica
7awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 27th Feb 2014
Forum Posts: 389

Ahavati said:500 word essay from the perspective of being a black woman per requested:

Privileged

I've watched it all my life; starting with my g'ma breastfeed'n them white babies who growed up to be their master, and was mean as ever. Lawd. I seen it firsthand; white privilege means you got to use the front door while we used the back; it meant available water fountains when ours was scarce, if any at all; it mean sit'n in them restaurants where we wasn't allowed. I used colored-entrances to the movies round back that led to their own section inside away from white folk, and back-seating in the buses. I seen it all.

You have written an essay that goes way beyond the challenge.  What I see here is a work of art that deserves a more conspicuous platform.  Your piece is, in one sense, historic—as it reflects on the “wet nurse” experience in which Black slave mothers breast-fed the infants of their White masters.  I suppose that took place everywhere there were White babies and Black nursing mothers.  The rest of the historic context is specifically the American experience—backdoors and front doors, White fountains, restaurants and back-seats buses, and coloured movie entrances.

See, privilege means "a special right, advantage, or immunity granted or available only to a particular person or group". So if you was white, you was privileged and got to do the things we couldn't. It don't take rocket scientist to concede that fact. The question is, does it still exist? Perhaps not in the literal sense whereas we get to walk in through the front door and sit wherever we choose on the bus. We gets to eat in any restaurant and water fountains are there for the tak'n. But you can't see a person's thoughts; only the emotion in their eyes, and even then, jes sometimes. I tell you now, it still exists in the minds of some just like it did when they was rules. I seen it.
Here, you rationalise privilege as White prerogative that continues to exist in much more subtle forms.  Mind play and innuendo fill the racial gaps but those who are alert can see “the emotion in their eyes.”

Someone once said to me, "I don't see color". I called them a liar 'cause we all see color. We see it in the art we view; the clothes we wear, the sunburns on fair-skinned and the deep tans on olive-skinned. We see the leaves in the fall; the colors of Christmas lights, and decorate our own homes accord'n to our favorite color. We also see the color of each other's skin; I see your white skin and I know you see my black skin. They ain't nothing wrong with that; our heritage is something we should all be proud to know.
This seeing-colour bit is pure poetry, Ahavati!  And I agree with you:   who does not see colour?  We all know when to eat a ripe banana, when to pick ripe tomatoes, when to start using “Youth Hair,” and when to conceal our blush (if our colour changes in a moment of embarrassment).  We also see people who are like ourselves and those who are different, and the sensible ones of us make a conscious effort to be inclusive and accommodating, if not effusive and all-embracing.  We even know where to draw the caution lines, lest we overstep our bounds, or seem condescending.

I want you to see my color and know I am a survivor. I want you to see my color, my blackness, but also the love in my eyes for your white, Latino, Hispanic, Asian, or Native American skin. I want to be who I am: a proud black woman standing among you; and I want you to see that, and be as proud of the heritage and color you are as I want to be. I want us to stand tall, celebrate our differences and grow. I don't want us to stop seeing color; I want us to see beyond the color to the human part inside.
This is your magnanimous resolve: to be proud of who you are, with your helpless shade of colour, living in a world with others endowed (proudly or ashamedly) with their own helpless shades of colour.  Perhaps, then, there would be no so-called supremacy or inferiority of thought, because everyone could be equally vulnerable or equally resilient—the net value of which would be the ability “to see beyond the color to the human part inside.”

I don't want no reparations; I don't want you to walk in my shoes one day. I simply want every race, color, and nation to be privileged too: Asian, Black, Hispanic, Latino, Native American, White, and so forth. When we're all privileged, we're all equal without losing a thing, but gaining everything: humanity.

I'll Love You, regardless of what you see.  

I differ with you slightly on the privilege issue.  You might recall my vehemently dismissing the notion that anyone should consider me a privileged Black because I can read and write, and have a university education.

If what belongs to others rightfully belongs to me, as well, am I, then, really privileged?  Wherever there is privilege for one person or group, those who do not belong to that privileged class must be the underprivileged.  If your sentence were coming from my pen, it would read, “I simply want every race, color, and nation to be normal too:  Asian, Black, Hispanic, Latino, Native American, White, and so forth.  When we're all normal, we're all equal without losing a thing...”

On the whole, a brilliant cameo from the eyes of someone looking into the experience of someone else.  How could I say it is not also your experience?  After all, to see it, believe it, feel it, and commiserate with it is, in the most generous sense, to live it and to be it.

Well done!  Please publish this as prosaic art.

JohnnyBlaze
JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States
20awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 3326

cabcool said:
On the whole, a brilliant cameo from the eyes of someone looking into the experience of someone else.  How could I say it is not also your experience?  After all, to see it, believe it, feel it, and commiserate with it is, in the most generous sense, to live it and to be it.

Well done!  Please publish this as prosaic art.

I told her to right after I read it. It is that compelling and well composed.

drone
drone
Dangerous Mind
Greece
Joined 3rd Sep 2011

Someone once said to me, "I don't see color". I called them a liar 'cause we all see color. We see it in the art we view; the clothes we wear, the sunburns on fair-skinned and the deep tans on olive-skinned. We see the leaves in the fall; the colors of Christmas lights, and decorate our own homes accord'n to our favorite color. We also see the color of each other's skin; I see your white skin and I know you see my black skin. They ain't nothing wrong with that; our heritage is something we should all be proud to know.

To Be
to Act
to Feel
Human
One must be
BLIND
To the colour
of Skin
But one must NOT
Be Blind
To the Colour
Of Speech

AND TO THOSE
WHO HAVE FORGOTTEN

Our Heritage

IS TO BE
IS TO STAY
HUMAN

Does not
the  tower of babel
teach you Anything
Lets start With
One Language
ONE TRIBE

There is
A tribe
Within
All the tribes
THAT WE LIVE IN
Who Believe
It is time
To take back
That
Which has been Stolen

OUR HERITAGE

Our Birthright
to be
Not to act

That we are Human

deep tans on olive-skinned.
HAHAHA
Now that's funny
What colour
is an olive

JohnnyBlaze
JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States
Joined 20th Mar 2015

It just never ends.

Trump referred to Marines buried at cemetery in France in crude and derogatory terms, a former senior official says

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/05/politics/trump-marines-cemetery-france/index.html

President Donald Trump referred to fallen US service members at the Aisne-Marne cemetery in crude and derogatory terms during a November 2018 trip to France to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the end of World War I, a former senior administration official confirmed to CNN.

Trump was supposed to go to an event at the cemetery during the trip, but rain and fog were blamed for him not being able to helicopter to the site. The White House then determined he could not motorcade to the location -- 50 miles outside of Paris -- because it would be too hard to try to secure the roads.

The former official, who declined to be named, largely confirmed reporting from Jeffrey Goldberg in The Atlantic magazine, which cited sources who said Trump rejected the idea of a cemetery visit and proceeded to refer to the fallen soldiers as "losers" and "suckers."

Not surprising, given how Trump referred to John McCain as a loser, as well as countless other people.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/did-trump-call-mccain-a-loser/

drone
drone
Dangerous Mind
Greece
Joined 3rd Sep 2011

I was thinking
I know
it's a little haard
most times
Why can't we
I mean
those of us
Who understand
What colour means
to make a formal written
Request,
to the
Web Mistress
a petition
To change the Rules
on this site
for our brothers and sisters
Who are
not white
So we can have
our own
Forum
SO we can complain
And have Banned
Those
Who use words
in their poems
or open forums
We don't like

Is it not time
To SHAME
The Web Mistress
into doing
What we Want
It would make this site
More
Inclusive
More
Diversive
For those of US
Who want

A Safe Space
From those
Nasty People
Who use words
We Don't Like
Coz It Hurts

Ahavati
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
89awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 7498

I don't want no reparations; I don't want you to walk in my shoes one day. I simply want every race, color, and nation to be privileged too: Asian, Black, Hispanic, Latino, Native American, White, and so forth. When we're all privileged, we're all equal without losing a thing, but gaining everything: humanity.

I'll Love You, regardless of what you see.

cabcool said:
I differ with you slightly on the privilege issue.  You might recall my vehemently dismissing the notion that anyone should consider me a privileged Black because I can read and write, and have a university education.

If what belongs to others rightfully belongs to me, as well, am I, then, really privileged?  Wherever there is privilege for one person or group, those who do not belong to that privileged class must be the underprivileged.  If your sentence were coming from my pen, it would read, “I simply want every race, color, and nation to be normal too:  Asian, Black, Hispanic, Latino, Native American, White, and so forth.  When we're all normal, we're all equal without losing a thing...”

Thanks, Cabcool. I appreciate your time and attention. I think regardless of the specific term we use, i.e. — privileged, normal, et al, there will always be someone to question it. For example, what is normal? What it is to one person ( regardless of color ) may not be what it is to another. The context I meant privileged in this essay was that everyone, regardless of color, gets to enjoy the same human rights of access without reprisal. I'm not referring to male/female individualities ( such as restrooms, etc.). I am referring to open, public events, businesses, job opportunities, education, medical care, police protection, and so forth.

Color never should've been an issue where any of those were concerned. And yet, somehow, it still is. . .

Thank you again for your time and attention.

Also, for the less educated among us:

Olive Skin

Olive skin is a human skin color spectrum. It is often associated with pigmentation in the Type III to Type IV and Type V ranges of the Fitzpatrick scale. It generally refers to light or moderate brown, brownish, or tannish skin, and it is often described as having yellowish, greenish, or golden undertones.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olive_skin

JohnnyBlaze
JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States
Joined 20th Mar 2015

Bringing new meaning to the phrase "sinking ship" .....

'Trump Boat Parade' in Texas disrupted when several boats sink

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/trump-boat-parade-texas-disrupted-when-several-boats-sink-n1239427

No injuries had been reported as of Saturday afternoon.

The lake west of Austin is known for being difficult to navigate at times, and large waves could be seen during the boat parade, The Austin American-Statesman newspaper reported.

Not a good omen for them.

drone
drone
Dangerous Mind
Greece
Joined 3rd Sep 2011

Ahavati said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olive_skin

Olive skin is a human skin color spectrum. It is often associated with pigmentation in the Type III to Type IV and Type V ranges of the Fitzpatrick scale. It generally refers to light or moderate brown, brownish, or tannish skin, and it is often described as having yellowish, greenish, or golden undertones.

This is for the less
Educated
on Sarcasm
That are
Sadly Among Us:

If ONE
has a problom
Reading
Between
The Lines

AND
If one Could  Please
GO Back
To your other Foto
I would expect
You know
Which one
The Blank one
Coz to me
it speaks volumes
about you
And I ain't finished reading

Blackwolf
Blackwolf
I.M.Blackwolf
Tyrant of Words
11awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 31st Mar 2018
Forum Posts: 2677

This is interesting :

Freedom of Speech :

This is someone who has his own channel on You Tube ,
generally updating people on politics and Corona Virus
payments , or other government programs...

He is generally a "dry" style speaker , very calm in his
presentations , with a reserved presentation ;

However :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VG8R-Q9vOcw

Letter to President Trump, Nancy Pelosi, and Mitch McConnell for the Stimulus Check

I was not sure which thread it fit...

Yet , decided Freedom Of Speech

Valeriyabeyond
Valeriyabeyond
Valeriya
Fire of Insight
2awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 3rd May 2020
Forum Posts: 1463

Blackwolf said:This is interesting :

Freedom of Speech :

This is someone who has his own channel on You Tube ,
generally updating people on politics and Corona Virus
payments , or other government programs...

He is generally a "dry" style speaker , very calm in his
presentations , with a reserved presentation ;

However :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VG8R-Q9vOcw

Letter to President Trump, Nancy Pelosi, and Mitch McConnell for the Stimulus Check

I was not sure which thread it fit...

Yet , decided Freedom Of Speech

I really like his passion to help others not just himself. I appreciate the time it took for him to prepare for these letters on our behalf
I especially liked the letter to Mitch McConnell that was spot on
The letter to Pelosi was too timid too restrained as far as reminding her who she works for
We all know she is stalling for her own political  reasons which is what the letter mainly was about.
I feel, he should rewrite the Pelosi letter and hit her with a more personal strike, and aim at her character first by complimenting her, on her character,her years
of service, some of her successes while in office.

Then slam her good (with a thesaurus) on the delay of the stimulus, how it is unbecoming of her to represent (herself) that way
She is obviously not for the people it's about her image
So to hit her career as you would her wearing the wrong color lipstick with a specific scarf will affect her.
End the letter with a compliment thanking her for her hard work and a thank you in advance for the stimulus .

Blackwolf
Blackwolf
I.M.Blackwolf
Tyrant of Words
Joined 31st Mar 2018

Let him know...

He asks for that response...

And he is good at acknowledging feedback

Ahavati
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
Joined 11th Apr 2015

I thought they were very well thought out and thorough. What amazes me is that the majority of people in America would lose their job if they didn't do it. And yet, here are some of the highest paid individuals in our country whose healthcare and retirement are guaranteed by the American people, who cannot do their job and come to an agreement for the American people. . .

The irony of America.

Blackwolf
Blackwolf
I.M.Blackwolf
Tyrant of Words
Joined 31st Mar 2018

Ahavati said: The irony of America.

So many shape their words on the irony board...

What a race , nation , and world we all are...( I still have hopeless hope for us all )

Ahavati
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Blackwolf said:

So many shape their words on the irony board...

What a race , nation , and world we all are...( I still have hopeless hope for us all )

Absolutely. As long as there is breath there is hope.

Go to page:
Go to: