cabcool
cabcool
Fire of Insight
Jamaica
7awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 27th Feb 2014
Forum Posts: 365

lepperochan said:@ Cabcool

I've never been in a room full of people and felt a colour.  was maybe 15 years old when a guy Emanuel came to class.

not gonna lie, on seeing the fellow I was curious about lots of things. what blew my mind at first was he'd a thick Dublin accent.
that's to say, initially he'd sat behind me, so I heard him before I saw him.

I've never felt outnumbered or dominated by another colour, so I don't know what being white feels like. in my world the colour of my skin hasn't gotten me anything but sunburn

for a brief spell in my early teens. I hated protestants. more specifically,  Ulster protestants. I felt every good citizen should.

wasn't until my father gave me some books to read (I think animal farm was the first one)   I started to realize what an idot I was

I have tried, and cannot put myself in the mind of a colour, so it would be disingenuous of me to post something of that nature

what's relatable to me is people who are proper cunts to other people(s) I've seen and been on the receiving end of police brutality, we probably have one of the most corrupt forces in europe

I can relate to your history. we were colonised , probably one of the first. we rose up like your Maroons did (hope I spelled that right) and eventually gained some pseudo republic after some hundreds of years

I think americans, especially americans suffer at the bottom of its capatist leanings. I think that's one of the main contributions to where it stands now

I think the term "white privilege" is one of the stupidest terms ever to be thrown around. its illogical and not attached to reality

I think any term or phrase with a colour in front of it is racist as fuck.

nothing is ever going to change until people see people as people.

we have a saying here, which corresponds to sayings all around the world

"Ní neart go cur le chéile"  – There’s no strength without unity.

on a side note, I thank you for the invitation to self reflect, it's been some time since I've done it. I note (and I'm sorry for the assumption) your poem isn't quite what you asked of me in that you didnt reflect on being a white dude

I hope all is well with you. and thank you again for the kickstart of self reflect

You make me cry, lepp.
If I've never seen honesty before, I see it now, in the baring-of-your-soul that you have given here.

Thank you for your frankness, lepp; I'm really moved. I will have more to say later but just couldn't go to bed without acknowledging your post.

PS I see you have visited 'the last missive.' I appreciate the great honour of your R/L add.

More anon.

cabcool
cabcool
Fire of Insight
Jamaica
7awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 27th Feb 2014
Forum Posts: 365

Ahavati said:500 word essay from the perspective of being a black woman per requested:

Privileged

I've watched it all my life; starting with my g'ma breastfeed'n them white babies who growed up to be their master, and was mean as ever. Lawd. I seen it firsthand; white privilege means you got to use the front door while we used the back; it meant available water fountains when ours was scarce, if any at all; it mean sit'n in them restaurants where we wasn't allowed. I used colored-entrances to the movies round back that led to their own section inside away from white folk, and back-seating in the buses. I seen it all.  

See, privilege means "a special right, advantage, or immunity granted or available only to a particular person or group". So if you was white, you was privileged and got to do the things we couldn't. It don't take rocket scientist to concede that fact. The question is, does it still exist? Perhaps not in the literal sense whereas we get to walk in through the front door and sit wherever we choose on the bus. We gets to eat in any restaurant and water fountains are there for the tak'n. But you can't see a person's thoughts; only the emotion in their eyes, and even then, jes sometimes. I tell you now, it still exists in the minds of some just like it did when they was rules. I seen it.

Someone once said to me, "I don't see color". I called them a liar 'cause we all see color. We see it in the art we view; the clothes we wear, the sunburns on fair-skinned and the deep tans on olive-skinned. We see the leaves in the fall; the colors of Christmas lights, and decorate our own homes accord'n to our favorite color. We also see the color of each other's skin; I see your white skin and I know you see my black skin. They ain't nothing wrong with that; our heritage is something we should all be proud to know.

I want you to see my color and know I am a survivor. I want you to see my color, my blackness, but also the love in my eyes for your white, Latino, Hispanic, Asian, or Native American skin. I want to be who I am: a proud black woman standing among you; and I want you to see that, and be as proud of the heritage and color you are as I want to be. I want us to stand tall, celebrate our differences and grow. I don't want us to stop seeing color; I want us to see beyond the color to the human part inside.

I don't want no reparations; I don't want you to walk in my shoes one day. I simply want every race, color, and nation to be privileged too: Asian, Black, Hispanic, Latino, Native American, White, and so forth. When we're all privileged, we're all equal without losing a thing, but gaining everything: humanity.

I'll Love You, regardless of what you see.  

Thank you, Ahavati!
Bravo for the sincere embracing of Black skin, Black experience, Black liberation.

You, as well, humble me by taking my challenge seriously and assuming a role alien to your personal experience.

I will return here to give you more robust feedback later.

JohnnyBlaze
JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States
20awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 3135

cabcool said:

Thank you, Ahavati!
Bravo for the sincere embracing of Black skin, Black experience, Black liberation.

You, as well, humble me by taking my challenge seriously and assuming a role alien to your personal experience.

I suggested she submit it under one of the prose options; I was that convinced  I was reading someone else!

Ahavati's experience of writing from different personalities paves the road to the point that she can turn on the cruise control for just about any challenge of this nature.

When I get a moment's peace from yardwork, comp judging, and editing my poems ( about 200 remaining out of 1000 something ) - I promise to rise like Maya Angelou to your challenge, Cabby.

Ahavati said:500 word essay from the perspective of being a black woman per requested:

Privileged

I've watched it all my life; starting with my g'ma breastfeed'n them white babies who growed up to be their master, and was mean as ever. Lawd. I seen it firsthand; white privilege means you got to use the front door while we used the back; it meant available water fountains when ours was scarce, if any at all; it mean sit'n in them restaurants where we wasn't allowed. I used colored-entrances to the movies round back that led to their own section inside away from white folk, and back-seating in the buses. I seen it all.  

See, privilege means "a special right, advantage, or immunity granted or available only to a particular person or group". So if you was white, you was privileged and got to do the things we couldn't. It don't take rocket scientist to concede that fact. The question is, does it still exist? Perhaps not in the literal sense whereas we get to walk in through the front door and sit wherever we choose on the bus. We gets to eat in any restaurant and water fountains are there for the tak'n. But you can't see a person's thoughts; only the emotion in their eyes, and even then, jes sometimes. I tell you now, it still exists in the minds of some just like it did when they was rules. I seen it.

Someone once said to me, "I don't see color". I called them a liar 'cause we all see color. We see it in the art we view; the clothes we wear, the sunburns on fair-skinned and the deep tans on olive-skinned. We see the leaves in the fall; the colors of Christmas lights, and decorate our own homes accord'n to our favorite color. We also see the color of each other's skin; I see your white skin and I know you see my black skin. They ain't nothing wrong with that; our heritage is something we should all be proud to know.

I want you to see my color and know I am a survivor. I want you to see my color, my blackness, but also the love in my eyes for your white, Latino, Hispanic, Asian, or Native American skin. I want to be who I am: a proud black woman standing among you; and I want you to see that, and be as proud of the heritage and color you are as I want to be. I want us to stand tall, celebrate our differences and grow. I don't want us to stop seeing color; I want us to see beyond the color to the human part inside.

I don't want no reparations; I don't want you to walk in my shoes one day. I simply want every race, color, and nation to be privileged too: Asian, Black, Hispanic, Latino, Native American, White, and so forth. When we're all privileged, we're all equal without losing a thing, but gaining everything: humanity.

I'll Love You, regardless of what you see.  

Ahavati
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
88awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 7095

cabcool said:

Thank you, Ahavati!

Hi, Cab. Except for the black skin, some of these experiences are personal. I was raised in Deep South Mississippi in part; therefore, saw the 'No Colored' signs as well as witnessed how black people were treated. The stories from my grandmother told of the black woman nursing white babies, just for the babies to grow up and become their master. I picked cotton right along with black people in the early 60's when I was no more than 4-5 years old. We didn't have a bathroom, we used an outhouse; we hauled water from the creek because we didn't have a well. My grandmother used a pot-bellied stove. You could see the dirt through the cracks in the floor boards.

All people have to do is listen to what others want. Not one black person I spoke with wanted people to NOT notice their skin color; not one. On the contrary, they were proud of their heritage. They wanted to be seen as black, they just want white people to look further than their skin color to the love on the inside.

That's what I try to do: honor that. Which is why I use terms black, white, Asian, Hispanic, Latino, Native American, and so forth. Do you think Asians want people to not notice they're Asian, Hispanic, Latino, Native American ( I can speak for Native Americans; that answer is NO ), and so forth? We are what we are not to overlook what we are ( are we not God's creation? ); but, to overcome our differences by celebrating our likenesses and moving forward all together.

This is why the world sees in color—beauty resides in color: the blue of the sky, the yellow of the flower, the pink of the sunset, the purple of the mountains, the rose of a baby's cheek, the green iris of a lover's eye, the ruby of their lips, the olive of their skin, and so forth, and so on. . .

The world IS color. Including skin. And it's all beautiful.  

lepperochan
lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
66awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 13457

@ Cabcool

cheers man, very welcome. feel under no obligation to form a response. shine on

just to clarify, because maybe I didnt say it right.

people seeing people as people doesn't mean people have to go blind. could be wrong, of course. I'm finding it hard to articulate. please, if you have a minute, throw your eyes over these words. I'm sure you know them anyway. taken from King of Ethiopia's speech to UN October 4th 1963.  recorded by Bob Marley 1970s

That until the philosophy which holds one race superior and another inferior is finally and permanently discredited and abandoned; That until there are no longer first-class and second-class citizens of any nation; That until the color of a man's skin is of no more significance than the color of his eyes; That until the basic human rights are equally guaranteed to all without regard to race; That until that day, the dream of lasting peace and world citizenship and the rule of international morality will remain but a fleeting illusion, to be pursued but never attained; And until the ignoble and unhappy regimes that hold our brothers in Angola, in Mozambique and in South Africa in subhuman bondage have been toppled and destroyed; Until bigotry and prejudice and malicious and inhuman self-interest have been replaced by understanding and tolerance and good-will; Until all Africans stand and speak as free beings, equal in the eyes of all men, as they are in the eyes of Heaven; Until that day, the African continent will not know peace. We Africans will fight, if necessary, and we know that we shall win, as we are confident in the victory of good over evil. – Haile Selassie

Valeriyabeyond
Valeriyabeyond
Valeriya
Fire of Insight
  profile   poems   message
Joined 3rd May 2020
Forum Posts: 926

500 Word essay on my perspective of what it would be like being black.
This story is of a young black slave a day in the life of if you will.

The Day I Hugged A Peach Tree

People say life is hard, I guess it is for some folks,  what I  know , is life is life
Mamma said,  do your best my child and look up for the Lord is watching you.
That's all I remember of mamma .
Hard was all I  knew,  I  couldn't say any different.  I learned to live life the way the missus wanted me to, never talk back,  and don't ask no questions.

Never did meet a missus who took kindly to me. I still have the mark from my first missus when I was three.
She stuck me with that hot poker right here covered half my back It's smaller now.   I can't see it,  some say it looks like one of the alphabets  from a book 
I was always working with the missus everyday till dark. After a time missus would read to me from books some had pictures she never did let me see um 
I wanted to read so bad but I wasn't gonna ask 

The day was hot when the wagon I was
in stopped on a dusty old road.
I was hearing from the man drivin the wagon how bad we was stinkin, wasn't nothing just us,  I was thinkin

Lines of men was gathering  outside the wagon,  I could hear a commotion I could tell they was white by the way they was  talking 
The driver pulls  me out by my arm and leads me to some wooden stairs, I stood on these wooden boards kinda like the pallets we sleep on. A man in the front is yelling " take it off let me see her" I was just fourteen years old and had been traded four times by now I don't know why the other folks didn't want me.
I was a tad bit prettier than some 
It don't matter I was here again 

A white man with a big belly and white hair grabs my dress and rips it off of me while another man a big man throws a bucket of water on me 
They all started laughin and pointing saying I look like a drowned rat 
I could not cry,  not now otherwise nobody would buy me 
I had to be bought today, I sho didn't want another day on that wagon.
The man with the big belly paid for me that day I member him saying 
"You little nigga whore you better be worth it" . Before going to my bed he took me,  still naked  to where the peaches grew, lots and lots of peaches.
He tied my arms around the tree like I was hugging it and then he did what they all do 
He carried on with fornacating me.
By fourteen I knew how to not,  pay attention to them when they do that
I used to cry,  but they would just strike me with the back of their hand,  them hard knuckles hurt real bad
So I just wait till they finishes

Life for a young slave girl was unimaginably difficult 
I can only guess how they must have altered their way of thinking in order to survive 
This story may seem passive and the girls attitude aloof this depiction of life
Is that of a girl who knew only the life of a slave Born into slavery it  was all she knew 

dustyJournals
dustyJournals
Thought Provoker
Joined 23rd May 2020
Forum Posts: 396

Seeing one video, I actually thought it was a cardboard cut out of Eminem; don’t know how he managed to stand so still, and not laugh at what was being said beside him. Must have been thinking of Ja Rule having sex with Haileigh or something.

Just seen some videos and one line says how much of a joke the Government is, and all those fools who work for the news outlets:
“They’re back, because the Corona Virus is back.”
Didn’t think it left.
If Boris is kept in office, I call for civil war. That fucker needs throwing out.

Purplelionness
Purplelionness
Strange Creature
Joined 2nd Aug 2020
Forum Posts: 3

I’m very new here. Just joined this morning.

Are there any Black lives matters poems?

Purplelionness
Purplelionness
Strange Creature
Joined 2nd Aug 2020

Morning I have written and got a spoken version of a black lives matter poem. Can I submit them together?

Purplelionness
Purplelionness
Strange Creature
Joined 2nd Aug 2020

Great poem. This subject should be discussed more

JohnnyBlaze
JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States
Joined 20th Mar 2015

Purplelionness said:I’m very new here. Just joined this morning.

Are there any Black lives matters poems?

Welcome to DUP!

Yes, but your best chance at finding them is to search an existing "Theme" like #racism

https://deepundergroundpoetry.com/poems/racism/

Purplelionness said:Morning I have written and got a spoken version of a black lives matter poem. Can I submit them together?

You sure can!

DaddyPhantom
DaddyPhantom
DaddyPhantomPhotoTron
Twisted Dreamer
United States
Joined 21st Aug 2012
Forum Posts: 39

I'm not impressed with #BlackLivesMatter, but why should I be? I'm strictly Underground and, I believe that certain things that started "Underground" should remain that way "The revolution will not be televised"  (Gil Scott-Heron). What happened to the Black Panthers? It was called Coin-Tel-Pro. That's what happened. That movement was infiltrated, then controlled by the very forces that it was fighting.  What happened to Hip Hop Culture when corporations got involved? What happened when they TRIED to monopolize the Punk Movement?  
George Soros donated hundreds of millions to #BlackLivesMatter. Now it's on NBA Tour Buses. Everywhere you look, there's a #BlackLivesMatter poster, sticker, or advertisement. You can't force people to think a certain way. When you do, the passive racist suddenly becomes aggressive. That is basic American Sociology, and you see it happening every day. "Karen" or "Becky" used to be pretty chill before people thought they could force "Change" down their throats.
The change comes with a change in mentalities. A difference in how Brothers and Sisters treat each other. A change in how we raise our kids. A change in how we treat our communities. A change in our diet. A change in our eating habits. A change in our collective spending habits.  
Does #BlackLivesMatter address any of those issues? Will hundreds of millions of dollars change a racist into a non-racist?
It's not practical or logical to think that you can end racism in America or anywhere else. I learned a long time ago that movements let you down. Follow a leader, and that leader will disappoint you. So I began donating my time and my creative talents to my community. My artistic resume over the last 20 years speaks for itself. Before I take my last breath, I can go into the afterlife knowing that I did MY part... without joining, following, or corporate sponsorship.  
I'm not FOR or AGAINST any positive movement. I'm a Brother from Generation X. I roll a bit differently when it comes to "Change" and how to achieve it.  

Ahavati
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
Joined 11th Apr 2015

DaddyPhantom said:. . .

Welcome, DP. While I certainly respect your opinion and feel some of your reasons have merit, I cannot in all good conscious agree that raising awareness is an attempt to force someone's way of thinking. It's an awareness campaign designed to make people think for themselves. I'm not saying that seeing such awareness tools make you uncomfortable, but I am saying that it makes many uncomfortable, irritated, aggravated, and so forth because they just want the issue of racism to go away.  And, historically it has as soon as a strong black leader is shot ( MLK, Malcolm X, and so forth ); or, a thriving black community is burned to the ground ( Black Wall Street, Rosewood, etc. ) because control.

So, yeah, movements and leaders will let you down; however, not of their own accord. You hit the nail on the head—they're infiltrated and neutralized by whom? Other blacks? Latinos? Hispanics? Asians?

Aha. . .

I LOVE the reminders painted on streets, on subways, in bathrooms, wherever they can fit something I hope they fit it because I don't want it to go away. I want each American to weigh why it bothers them so much.  Why racism is such a difficult topic to discuss. Why would they rather see it disappear than faced?

I agree with everything you said about change; however, how can someone change if they don't face their own demons? If they feel their mindset isn't wrong because it was how they were raised? Isn't the very foundation of racism the white man suppressing the black man be it individual, movement, Amendment #13, and so forth?

Do you agree that one must gain a foothold in order to expand? I am happy that black organizations are receiving funding; the proof is going to be in the taste of the pudding and what they do with that funding. Whether or not they expand to what you have outlined. . .or not.  

I am not happy about the circumstances in which these black organizations are receiving funding. Must it always take a life? At least this time, they're not shutting up—good on them being in the face of every space they can occupy.

Thank you for the comment.

JohnnyBlaze
JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States
Joined 20th Mar 2015

I can't attest to the effectiveness of BLM as an organization.

As a "disorganization", you can't deny the power of millions rallying around a black person being no different than any other person and thus giving a huge middle finger to racists across the globe.

Sometimes it is not a matter of boycotting businesses or leveraging the political system with votes or coordinating a massive protest.

Sometimes its just about a show of support and letting racists see for themselves they are the minority without any legitimate reasons to back up their misconceptions and subsequent hatred.

If you have an internet forum of 100 members and 5 of the members are racists harassing black members, then you have up to 95 people that can in one voice tell those 5 to STFU. And chances are, they will STFU up because racists are highly insecure people that harass others as a means of establishing control over an environment that they ultimately feel powerless in.

The 5 racists will have little choice if they want to keep whatever "friends" they have once their racism is exposed for what it is to the entire group. The typical response to discovering you are associating with a bully is to sever ties with the bully A] as a show of your own disapproval (and) B] as a means of self preservation, because you don't want to be associated with a bully for whatever reason.

If you are a racist, I'm certainly not going to support you in any manner.

If you are going to quietly sit with your thumb up your ass while your racist "friend" harasses other people, I'm not going to support you in any fashion either. You're just as guilty by perpetuating the atmosphere of harassment.

So, even if it is "disorganized", a large enough movement can likewise change the atmosphere of any arena simply by making a statement and letting the offending party(s) involved react out of either retaliatory defiance or self perservation.

Ahavati
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
Joined 11th Apr 2015

JohnnyBlaze said:I can't attest to the effectiveness of BLM as an organization.

As a "disorganization", you can't deny the power of millions rallying around a black person being no different than any other person and thus giving a huge middle finger to racists across the globe.

Sometimes it is not a matter of boycotting businesses or leveraging the political system with votes or coordinating a massive protest.

Sometimes its just about a show of support and letting racists see for themselves they are the minority without any legitimate reasons to back up their misconceptions and subsequent hatred.

If you have an internet forum of 100 members and 5 of the members are racists harassing black members, then you have up to 95 people that can in one voice tell those 5 to STFU. And chances are, they will STFU up because racists are highly insecure people that harass others as a means of establishing control over an environment that they ultimately feel powerless in.

The 5 racists will have little choice if they want to keep whatever "friends" they have once their racism is exposed for what it is to the entire group. The typical response to discovering you are associating with a bully is to sever ties with the bully A] as a show of your own disapproval (and) B] as a means of self preservation, because you don't want to be associated with a bully for whatever reason.

If you are a racist, I'm certainly not going to support you in any manner.

If you are going to quietly sit with your thumb up your ass while your racist "friend" harasses other people, I'm not going to support you in any fashion either. You're just as guilty by perpetuating the atmosphere of harassment.

So, even if it is "disorganized", a large enough movement can likewise change the atmosphere of any arena simply by making a statement and letting the offending party(s) involved react out of either retaliatory defiance or self perservation.

Well said!

Go to page:
Go to: