Those works of art represent

Blood spilled on canvas
shall we piss on their glory?

Of those artists
...how many

died for or
because of art?

Not based on fact !!!
Offensive jab posted after the beautiful post by CabCool above you which IS BASED ON FACT

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 14449

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14273

cabcool said:When Heritage Equals Hate: The Truth About the Confederacy...
Jeffery Robinson, Deputy Legal Director, ACLU,
Explodes Myths about White Confederate Statues

Reposted from NowThis Politics was live.
24 August 2017 · Shared with Public

Watch live as Jeffery Robinson, the ACLU’s top racial justice expert, discusses the dark history of Confederate symbols across the country and outlines what we can do to learn from our past and combat systemic racism.

According to Robinson, the periods of Confederate celebration and statue erection coincided with parallel "victories" of White supremacy perpetrating Black oppression.

The video requires 1 hr 42 minutes of your time but is well worth the free, astounding education:

https://www.facebook.com/NowThisPolitics/videos/1677566758941474

Cabcool, this was fabulous; thank you for sharing. Now I'll have to watch 'Anatomy of a Murder' with Jimmy Stewart.  

It's hard-pressed to believe that anyone could disagree with this. Though, as Robinson says, when you're asking someone who has been ingrained with something, you're asking them to do a really hard thing. But, a hard thing is where we are, and a hard thing is what we have to do.

I loved the clip of Mohammad Ali. I actually had no idea that existed.

Robinson's opening reminded me of the old African Proverb ( my favorite ): Until the Lions have their day, history is controlled by the Hunter. I've been involved in many an uncovering of history - it ain't pretty, and you lose a lot of 'friends' because you are actually outgrowing them; they're choosing to remain closed to change.  

I've seen people quoting Robinson in regards to what the removal of confederate flags and monuments won't do, e.g. - produce clean water, put food in mouths, provide medical attention, et al.  However, I haven't seen them quote him on what the removal of confederate flags and monuments does do, i.e. - continues a process that has been ongoing for decades.  It brings us just one more step closer to what we have been fighting for: equality.

Anyone who believes the Civil War was about anything BUT slavery needs to watch this. Anyone who is opposed to the removal of confederate and other monuments who refer to slave owners as heroes needs to watch this. And anyone who believes the Confederate Flag is history not hate need to watch this. It's the best 1.5 hours you will ever invest in regards to history.

Thank you, Cabcool.

I leave you with The Traveling Wilbury's:

And the walls came down
All the way to hell
Never saw them when they're standing
Never saw them when they fell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzMKTZdkaU4

Tear 'em down! Hallelujah and Amen!

I'm already a member of the ACLU, and just joined Color of Change's campaign to take down state-sponsored monuments to the confederacy and white supremacy. I encourage everyone to join in, whether living in America or not.

https://colorofchange.org/

EdibleWords
Tyrant of Words
8awards
Joined 7th Jan 2018
Forum Posts: 2993

cabcool said:

Getting past the outer shell (the formidable length) is the hardest part.  Do not be inhibited: you will come away with tears of sorrow and tears of hope, if not yet tears of joy.

I thought it was really thought provoking. Thank you. 🙏

Unlike the above posters think I wasn’t jabbing at you. We’ve been talking generally about status including of Jesus.

White Jesus, Asian-woman Jesus should all stay!

cabcool
Guardian of Shadows
Jamaica 12awards
Joined 27th Feb 2014
Forum Posts: 740

JohnnyBlaze said:

Great, Cabby - will give this a watch when time permits!

Thank you, JB.  No well-meaning person, Black or White, will consider the contents of this presentation something to overlook.  It is education for all Americans.  It is education for the whole world.  It is education for immediate dissemination, lest the vicious lions perpetuate the killing of the helpless calves.

It emboldens the unaware dispossessed, who are far wealthier than they imagine and it reevaluates and recentres the misguided self-possessed, who are far more lacking than they could ever dream.

cabcool
Guardian of Shadows
Jamaica 12awards
Joined 27th Feb 2014
Forum Posts: 740

Ahavati said:

Cabcool, this was fabulous; thank you for sharing. Now I'll have to watch 'Anatomy of a Murder' with Jimmy Stewart.

My sentiments, exactly, Ahavati:  that movie is a must-see!

It's hard-pressed to believe that anyone could disagree with this. Though, as Robinson says, when you're asking someone who has been ingrained with something, you're asking them to do a really hard thing. But, a hard thing is where we are, and a hard thing is what we have to do.
Anyone not willing to rise up from his/her procrustean bed for the sake of his/her own coming-to-terms with reality deserves to sleep the sleep of death in his/her false comfort.

I loved the clip of Mohammad Ali. I actually had no idea that existed.
I love great "humour" and turns of thoughts (rude awakenings).  Over the years, I have made my own collection of such collectibles.  That Ali piece is somewhere in my archives.

Robinson's opening reminded me of the old African Proverb ( my favorite ): Until the Lions have their day, history is controlled by the Hunter. I've been involved in many an uncovering of history - it ain't pretty, and you lose a lot of 'friends' because you are actually outgrowing them; they're choosing to remain closed to change.  
Your practical knowledge and personal experiences seem to reach far and wide, even to cotton-picking in the South.  Now I see another dimension, the uncovering of history!  Yes:  you have no choice but to leave sleepers behind.

I've seen people quoting Robinson in regards to what the removal of confederate flags and monuments won't do, e.g. - produce clean water, put food in mouths, provide medical attention, et al.  However, I haven't seen them quote him on what the removal of confederate flags and monuments is what it does do, i.e. - continues a process that has been ongoing for decades.  It brings us just one more step closer to what we have been fighting for: equality.  
This is typical of those who want to manipulate information for their own convenience.  It works forward as well as backward:

Forward (a Biblical mixed context):
"And Judas went out and hanged himself" (Matthew 27:5)..."go thou and do likewise" (Luke 10:37).

Backward (from Orwell's Animal Farm)
All animals are equal; but some are more equal than others."

Anyone who believes the Civil War was about anything BUT slavery needs to watch this. Anyone who is opposed to the removal of confederate and other monuments who refer to slave owners as heroes needs to watch this. And anyone who believes the Confederate Flag is history not hate need to watch this. It's the best 1.5 hours you will ever invest in regards to history.

This is where we are today -- NOW.  Everyone needs to watch this and then rise from the dead.  Everyone can contribute incremental change to improve the world:  one small step for each individual who participates, one giant step for mankind!

I leave you with The Traveling Wilbury's:

And the walls came down
All the way to hell
Never saw them when they're standing
Never saw them when they fell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzMKTZdkaU4

Tear 'em down! Hallelujah and Amen!

I'm already a member of the ACLU, and just joined Color of Change's campaign to take down state-sponsored monuments to the confederacy and white supremacy. I encourage everyone to join in, whether living in America or not.

https://colorofchange.org/

Thank you for your robust response, which helps the continuum.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

lepperochan said:https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/culture/books/frederick-douglass-and-ireland-in-his-own-words-a-compelling-account-of-a-historic-moment-1.3632025%3fmode=amp

An interesting read

It is a very interesting read and a book I'd like to have in my library.

In January 1846 [ Douglass ] described the oppression of the Irish as the “same degradation as the American slave”, and although he attributed poverty in Ireland to personal rather than political factors, he remained gripped by the situation of the Irish. Ultimately, the cause of the slave was the cause of oppressed people everywhere. The suffering of one was the suffering of all, and Douglass’s vision duly expanded to include women’s rights and various other struggles in “the cause of humanity”.

That is so true. Until everyone is free and provided for, no one is.

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 14449

if I remember correct both he and O' Connoll brokered a kind of peace between the Irish and African in New York (I think)

both men were giants. the world seems bereft from those kind these days.more shame us

EdibleWords
Tyrant of Words
8awards
Joined 7th Jan 2018

Valeriyabeyond said:

Not based on fact !!!
Offensive jab posted after the beautiful post by CabCool above you which IS BASED ON FACT

I must be missing something.

What’s the tie in between what I posted and Cabcool’s?

I’m just making a point based on a discussion that is parallel.
Probably my gaff was not seeing the way it could be construed as a tie in, something I shall blame no one but myself for.

(However it remains invisible to me, atm)

Back to my point.
I’m against the destructive disrespect of artists. Whether they carved Lincoln or sitting bull.

You want artists feeling learned helplessness and committing suicide instead of making more art? Keep tearing shit down.

Teen students are watching in tears.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

cabcool said:
Thank you for your robust response, which helps the continuum.

I feel the same, Cab. You're an integral part of, as well as a driving force in realization through this discussion.  Thank you for agreeing to be an active and viable contributor. While I may have picked cotton and have lived in the Southern Bible Belt for decades, I wasn't taught the FULL  history I've needed to know in order to make a real difference that brings about true change.

You're part of that, and I thank you. 👊❤

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

lepperochan said:if I remember correct both he and O' Connoll brokered a kind of peace between the Irish and African in New York (I think)

both men were giants. the world seems bereft from those kind these days.more shame us

I know I've heard those two names in conjunction with one another; however, I cannot tell you how because I honestly don't remember.  

You know, bits of history garnered from this class or that person or that article or presentation are like puzzle pieces, until you begin to see the big picture of how they all fit together, they'll always remain just bits.    

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

cabcool said:
My sentiments, exactly, Ahavati:  that movie is a must-see!

If anyone is interested it's ( Anatomy of a Murder ) on Amazon Prime, though not free. You can rent ( $3.99 ) or purchase.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

I ran across the above image while doing some research this morning. This is 1961, and Red Foxx and Eartha Kitt attended a rally in New York for the Freedom Fighters in Birmingham, Alabama. Red was asked to give a speech, and when he began quoting from Genesis he broke down with emotion due to the injustice.  

Almost 60 years later, there has been change; but, not enough. We still have a long way to go in this fight; however, I hope 60 years from now, when my G'precious is an old man, he will be able to see just how far we've come to the point of asking himself if that old world truly existed at all.

EdibleWords
Tyrant of Words
8awards
Joined 7th Jan 2018

The slaves spoken in the above quote  of were the catholic people.

The historians who led me to history believed the Catholic Church was the reason for civil war and the reason Lincoln was shot. So I have to wonder,

🔥did a Jesuit write White Fragility?🔥

Catholics teach original sin. The book teaches inherited guilt.

The purpose is not holy, it’s to break up the union.

Morals don’t apply to Jesuits. They are absolved, even from ripping open the womb of a large pregnant woman in physical aggression.

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5572

Ahavati said:I ran across the above image while doing some research this morning. This is 1961, and Red Foxx and Eartha Kitt attended a rally in New York for the Freedom Fighters in Birmingham, Alabama. Red was asked to give a speech, and when he began quoting from Genesis he broke down with emotion due to the injustice.  

Almost 60 years later, there has been change; but, not enough. We still have a long way to go in this fight; however, I hope 60 years from now, when my G'precious is an old man, he will be able to see just how far we've come to the point of asking himself if that old world truly existed at all.

Amen to that.

Go to page:
Go to: