Go to page:

Freedom of Speech and Censorship Part 2

EdibleWords
Tyrant of Words
8awards
Joined 7th Jan 2018
Forum Posts: 2993

Ahavati said:  The trauma ( PTSD ) of those events can be passed down through genes, and thus generations.  I have to wonder if 400+ years of oppression and racism have embedded themselves in black people, whereas whites literally haven't a clue.

Peasant serfs... Irish slaves, Jewish slavery, it’s in our genes. Sharecroppers. White African slaves.

How many of outwardly black Americans are children of white colonizers also?

Valeriyabeyond
Dhyana
Dangerous Mind
3awards
Joined 3rd May 2020
Forum Posts: 2668

Blackwolf said:No Mistranslation Just Mobilization

I Speak From Deep Contemplation This Is Our Nation

Confrontation , Communication , Condemnation ,

Complication Of Coloration , Not About Demonstration ,

Just An End To Desperation , This Sick Racial Domination ,

This Slick Trick Denigration , Mad Violence In Escalation

Give Me An Explanation , For What We Call Our Exploitation

We Are A Generation Of No Hesitation We Claim Liberation !

Hell yes BW this rocks

Blackwolf
I.M.Blackwolf
Tyrant of Words
13awards
Joined 31st Mar 2018
Forum Posts: 3572

Thankee...*bows*

cabcool
Guardian of Shadows
Jamaica 12awards
Joined 27th Feb 2014
Forum Posts: 770

We Wear The Mask—Paul Laurence Dunbar

We wear the mask that grins and lies,
It hides our cheeks and shades our eyes,--
This debt we pay to human guile;
With torn and bleeding hearts we smile,
And mouth with myriad subtleties.

Why should the world be overwise,
In counting all our tears and sighs?
Nay, let them only see us, while
We wear the mask.

We smile, but, O great Christ, our cries
To thee from tortured souls arise.
We sing, but oh the clay is vile
Beneath our feet, and long the mile;
But let the world dream otherwise,
We wear the mask!

COVID-19:  Pretend To Wear Your Masks Or Just Be Your Real Hypocritical Selves!

African-American poet-novelist Paul Laurence Dunbar wrote this piece in 1895. It is a reaction to the Black experience in late 19th-century America, following the Civil War, marked by intense racism and difficulties.

Surviving oppression was like wearing a mask to disguise the suffering of its wearer so that he could project a more "joyful face" to the world.

Mask is daily, for those who turn a blind eye to the suffering around them.  Blacks are taking off their lifelong masks and  demanding to be seen as human beings with human rights.  
They are saying, "Off with the masks!"

Anti-Black supremacists have merely bright-painted their lifelong masks like the ostrich with its head in the sand, pretending not to see injustice.  They are saying, "On with the masks!"

Nobody knows masks better than post-slavery slaves following in the footsteps of their enslaved foreparents.  Enslaved foreparents pretended to be stupid just to be overlooked by their oppressive masters.  Those who could make out a few words pretended to be illiterate because betraying their abilities would incur wrath.  But they were smart under the mask.  When they sang, "Steal Away To Jesus," they were plotting, in the open, to run away under the shades of night.

Nobody wears masks better than post-slavery slaves following in the footsteps of their enslaved foreparents.  They pretend to be stupid while being wise beyond perception.  Their oppressors pretend to be blind, not knowing their blindness is as real as the darkness that engulfs them.

Masks are neither Black nor White.  BUT THEY ARE WORN DIFFERENTLY.  Some pretend to be wise but they are stupid.  Others pretend to be stupid, but they are shrewd.

We [ALL] wear the mask.

EdibleWords
Tyrant of Words
8awards
Joined 7th Jan 2018

cabcool said:We Wear The Mask—Paul Laurence Dunbar

We wear the mask.

We wear the mask!

💎💎💎💎💎

Blackwolf
I.M.Blackwolf
Tyrant of Words
13awards
Joined 31st Mar 2018

Clay *is not* vile ;

That is a lie , poetic , or not ;

In Obri / Hebrew :

Clay = 28 = Power

Now , think of clay , building with clay ,
and how it cleans us inside and out ;

Only a fool , would claim *Clay* is vile...

( no slight meant to you , Cabcool...merely *Truth* )

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5573

Blackwolf said:Clay *is not* vile ;

In Obri / Hebrew :

Clay = 28 = Power

It's an odd / interesting choice of word for the poem - clay. Normally we walk on soil ( or sand perhaps ), while the clay is deeper down. So It feels like there is some context we aren't privvy to.  

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015

We wear the mask.

We wear the mask!

African-American poet-novelist Paul Laurence Dunbar wrote this piece in 1895. It is a reaction to the Black experience in late 19th-century America, following the Civil War, marked by intense racism and difficulties.

Surviving oppression was like wearing a mask to disguise the suffering of its wearer so that he could project a more "joyful face" to the world.

Mask is daily, for those who turn a blind eye to the suffering around them.  Blacks are taking off their lifelong masks and  demanding to be seen as human beings with human rights.  

Anti-Black supremacists have merely bright-painted their lifelong masks like the ostrich with its head in the sand, pretending not to see injustice.  They are saying, "On with the masks!"

Nobody knows masks better than post-slavery slaves following in the footsteps of their enslaved foreparents.  Enslaved foreparents pretended to be stupid just to be overlooked by their oppressive masters.  Those who could make out a few words pretended to be illiterate because betraying their abilities would incur wrath.  But they were smart under the mask.  When they sang, "Steal Away To Jesus," they were plotting, in the open, to run away under the shades of night.

Nobody wears masks better than post-slavery slaves following in the footsteps of their enslaved foreparents.  They pretend to be stupid while being wise beyond perception.  Their oppressors pretend to be blind, not knowing their blindness is as real as the darkness that engulfs them.

Masks are neither Black nor White.  BUT THEY ARE WORN DIFFERENTLY.  Some pretend to be wise but they are stupid.  Others pretend to be stupid, but they are shrewd.

We [ALL] were the mask.

I honestly believe that it is no coincidence the BLM protests are erupting during the Covid 19 pandemic. It feels related somehow, which your eloquent post has hinted at.

Perhaps the surgical mask is a mass symbolic expression of unity and healing that serves both movements?

People coming together, healing, regardless of skin color underneath.

As for the poem, it's skillfully written and flows smoothly. It is clearly formed, but follows no particular form that I am aware of. I do question the use of the word "subtleties" - that may rhyme to the eyes, but not the ears. Unless it was pronounced as "ties" back in the day?

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14554

In Obri / Hebrew :

Clay = 28 = Power

If you're a slave digging in a pit it may feel vile; which was his entire point. It was obviously a metaphor for the deepest part of physical vs the highest elevation of spiritual. Rather than see the big picture, you focused on one word.

BW. I do love your wisdom and insight, but you take it way too far at times. It then becomes highly intrusive as well as off-putting.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

This was a wonderful post, Cabcool.  You are right about anti-Black supremists keeping their head in the sand, which is indeed a mask. It's the same mask people wear when they see a homeless person and cross the street to avoid them. It's the same way they feel when they see beggars in intersections; they look the other way and pretend not to see them.

The poem reminds me of an old slave song. Very touching the channeled insight he shares.  

Thank you for sharing.

We wear the mask.

We wear the mask!

We [ALL] were the mask.

Blackwolf
I.M.Blackwolf
Tyrant of Words
13awards
Joined 31st Mar 2018

Actually , no , I mean every word of my post ,
and know where it comes from , as I was raised
Catholic , and Christian...

We were indoctrinated with the idea of despising
the earth realm , and focusing only on heaven...

That was 1954...it was worse , before then...

So that is a sore point in my religious upbringing...

And I told the nuns in Catholic School , what I thought ,
and they affirmed earth was bad , the ground and what
was under was the realm of the devil and Satan , and
then beat me with a three sided ruler , or backhanded
me ( and others ) across the face , again and again...

I remember , very well , what clay represented...

( enough said )

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Blackwolf said:Actually , no , I mean every word of my post ,
and know where it comes from , as I was raised
Catholic , and Christian...

We were indoctrinated with the idea of despising
the earth realm , and focusing only on heaven...

That was 1954...it was worse , before then...

So that is a sore point in my religious upbringing...

And I told the nuns in Catholic School , what I thought ,
and they affirmed earth was bad , the ground and what
was under was the realm of the devil and Satan , and
then beat me with a three sided ruler , or backhanded
me ( and others ) across the face , again and again...

I remember , very well , what clay represented...

( enough said )

Fortunately for you, you were not a black slave so therefore cannot fully understand their point of view nor comprehend their burdens. I don't think slaves were indoctrinated to despise the earth; I think they felt the burden of the earth upon their shoulders, being they were the ones to work it with blood and sweat of daily labor that broke the back of many. This is what you are failing to see because you are viewing the word 'clay' through your singular filter of how you were raised - which is not how slaves were raised.

On the contrary, slaves, as depicted in the poem, were not afforded an opportunity to educate themselves outside of the daily labor of work. Anyone thought to be educated would pay the price for that education. So regardless of how difficult your life was under the stringent rule of teachers, I still feel it doesn't compare to being a slave.

My point was while your expertise is appreciated and admired, it can be very intrusive and insensitively conveyed. This is one of those instances. You all but called the poet a liar when he was merely expressing his observations and experience.

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015

Ahavati said:

Fortunately for you, you were not a black slave so therefore cannot fully understand their point of view nor comprehend their burdens. I don't think slaves were indoctrinated to despise the earth; I think they felt the burden of the earth upon their shoulders, being they were the ones to work it with blood and sweat of daily labor that broke the back of many. This is what you are failing to see because you are viewing the word 'clay' through your singular filter of how you were raised - which is not how slaves were raised.

On the contrary, slaves, as depicted in the poem, were not afforded an opportunity to educate themselves outside of the daily labor of work. Anyone thought to be educated would pay the price for that education. So regardless of how difficult your life was under the stringent rule of teachers, I still feel it doesn't compare to being a slave.

My point was while your expertise is appreciated and admired, it can be very intrusive and insensitively conveyed. This is one of those instances. You all but called the poet a liar when he was merely expressing his observations and experience.

Right.

Just as each person experiences their own personal reality, words do have different meanings to different people.

Clay is clay; what we each have to say about clay should not be diminished.  We each tell a unique story.

Blackwolf, your story of abuse is unfortunate. It was instrumental in helping to shape who you are and we can appreciate that. But, at the end of the day?

Clay is clay; let each person have his or her say.  

EdibleWords
Tyrant of Words
8awards
Joined 7th Jan 2018

cabcool said:Masks are neither Black nor White.  BUT THEY ARE WORN DIFFERENTLY.  Some pretend to be wise but they are stupid.  Others pretend to be stupid, but they are shrewd.

[b]We [ALL] were the mask.

Very intelligent and close to the heart. This I have observed. It’s even a game I’ve played.

Being a small attractive female person sometimes means feeling objectified and at the whim of others opinions. Better to just let them see what they want sometimes. Social dynamics and all.

Similar and different... it’s good to embrace those things. I have more in common with some blacks than some whites.

cabcool
Guardian of Shadows
Jamaica 12awards
Joined 27th Feb 2014
Forum Posts: 770

In Obri / Hebrew :

Clay = 28 = Power

Clay, as in God's Hands forming man from the dust, is NOT vile, I agree.

The author is referring to the clay mask, BW! He is contrasting the imitation clay, the impervious outer layer, with the heart of flesh.  Clay does not feel, but flesh does.  By wearing the clay mask, the oppressed Black puts on a disguise that can stand up to the scrutiny and the pain while protecting his frail human condition underneath.

NB  You must look beneath the shallow visual appearances to perceive the deeper, hidden depths of the author's intent.  Otherwise, he has double-masked your intelligence as slaves did their master's with "Steal Away to Jesus."

I rest my case.

Go to page:
Go to: