Go to page:

Freedom of Speech and Censorship Part 2

Ahavati
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
87awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 6751

Not to negate you taking an opportunity to teach, BW, but I agree with her.  These people chanting "Blue Lives Matter" aren't doing it in reference to skin color. They're yelling it to drown out #Blacklivesmatter. They needed to be reminded that blue is a color, not of skin like black ( or white, tan, brown, etc. ) but a "fucking shirt". I think sometimes it's important to note the context in which something is said vs analyzing it beyond what it is. The young-lady is to be commended for standing up the way she did.  

Blackwolf
Blackwolf
I.M.Blackwolf
Dangerous Mind
11awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 31st Mar 2018
Forum Posts: 1931

Ahavati said:Not to negate you taking an opportunity to teach, BW, but I agree with her.  These people chanting "Blue Lives Matter" aren't doing it in reference to skin color. They're yelling it to drown out #Blacklivesmatter. They needed to be reminded that blue is a color, not of skin like black ( or white, tan, brown, etc. ) but a "fucking shirt". I think sometimes it's important to note the context in which something is said vs analyzing it beyond what it is. The young-lady is to be commended for standing up the way she did.  

That was a missed understanding of what I was saying , Ahavati...

No problem , let me clear that up...

Anyone who knows the Code , can , and does use it...

To create word phrases , logos , individual , or business names...

They use it to write reality ;

I also agree with her...

My point is :

Someone at the top , within the police unions , or
otherwise , came up with the expression in the
first place , she heard it , and used it , because ,
and she may , or may not know this , yet it is a
trigger phrase for the human brain , therefore it
has a strong impact...

This is why it is used by those who know ;

"How To Win Friends And Influence People"


Ahavati
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
87awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 6751

Okay, gotcha. I agree with that reasoning.  Her reasoning for using it was because the "Karen" she referenced sitting behind her was saying how awful the last ten days had been for her husband, a police officer.  This young lady wasn't even scheduled nor planning to speak.  But after hearing that she stood up.  

You are right in hearing #Bluelivesmatter one immediately thinks of the police regardless of color, thus control. I imagine it's actually a trigger for those who have suffered injustice at the hands of police.

Ahavati
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
87awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 6751


Players for the Portland Thorns, left, and the North Carolina Courage kneel during the national anthem before the start of their NWSL Challenge Cup soccer match at Zions Bank Stadium Saturday, June 27, 2020, in Herriman, Utah. (AP Photo/Rick Bowmer)AP

NWSL players all kneel, wear Black Lives Matter t-shirts before first game back

Players for the Portland Thorns and the North Carolina Courage knelt during the national anthem Saturday when the National Women’s Soccer League opened the Challenge Cup tournament in Utah.

The players and coaches wore Black Lives Matter T-shirts in warmups before the game, which was nationally televised on CBS. The players also knelt during a moment of silence before kickoff.

“We took a knee today to protest racial injustice, police brutality and systemic racism against Black people and people of color in America. We love our country and we have taken this opportunity to hold it to a higher standard. It is our duty to demand that the liberties and freedoms this nation was founded upon are extended to everyone,” the Thorns and Courage said in a joint statement released before the game.

[ . . . ]

https://www.masslive.com/sports/2020/06/nwsl-players-all-kneel-wear-black-lives-matter-t-shirts-before-first-game-back.html

Blackwolf
Blackwolf
I.M.Blackwolf
Dangerous Mind
11awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 31st Mar 2018
Forum Posts: 1931

F**k Yeah !

About time !

You know , most do not know the origin
of the taking to a knee , you ready ?

It was a Pagan marriage ceremony , designating
dedication , to a cause of devoted union !


Ahavati
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
87awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 6751

WOW!

Princeton strips Woodrow Wilson’s name from school; Demonstrators gather at Hahnemann, Penn’s Landing

Princeton University Saturday announced it would strip the name of former U.S. President Woodrow Wilson from its school of public and international affairs and one of its residential colleges.
Rallies and demonstrations denouncing racial injustice continue across Philadelphia this weekend, including an “Art Thrives from Black Lives” event in West Philadelphia and “Care Not Cops Rally” at City Hall.
More than 850 alumni and students of the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts, along with members of the greater arts community, have signed a petition calling for restructuring its leadership.
Temple became the second area university this past week to withdraw funding from the Philadelphia Police Foundation amid concerns from students, faculty, and protesters about police brutality.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.inquirer.com/health/coronavirus/live/philadelphia-protests-updates-news-black-lives-matter-police-reform-george-floyd-20200627.html%3foutputType=amp

Ahavati
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
87awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 6751

BIGGER WOW! I mean this is the south, y'all.

Mississippi moves to strip Confederate image from its flag

JACKSON, Miss. — Spectators at the Mississippi Capitol broke into applause Saturday as lawmakers took the first steps toward erasing the Confederate battle emblem from the state flag, a symbol that has come under intensifying criticism in recent weeks amid nationwide protests against racial injustice.

“The eyes of the state, the nation and indeed the world are on this House,” the second-ranking officer in the Mississippi House, Jason White, told his colleagues.

The House voted by more than the required two-thirds majority to suspend legislative deadlines and file a bill to change the flag. The Senate was expect to vote on the suspension later Saturday. That would allow debate on a bill as soon as Sunday.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.inquirer.com/health/coronavirus/live/philadelphia-protests-updates-news-black-lives-matter-police-reform-george-floyd-20200627.html%3foutputType=amp

Ahavati
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
87awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 6751

Blackwolf said:F**k Yeah !

About time !

You know , most do not know the origin
of the taking to a knee , you ready ?

It was a Pagan marriage ceremony , designating
dedication , to a cause of devoted union !



👍👊

Ahavati
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
87awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 6751


YONG KIM / STAFF PHOTOGRAPHER

BammRose (top) and Mxstress Lilith dance together on a pole at Malcolm X Park in West Philadelphia on Saturday, June 27, 2020. The group Stilettos, which advocates against racism and unsafe working conditions in the adult entertainment industry, held a "stripper strike." BammRose is the CEO/founder of the Stilettos group.

Stripper strike’ protests discrimination, calls for safer working conditions

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.inquirer.com/health/coronavirus/live/philadelphia-protests-updates-news-black-lives-matter-police-reform-george-floyd-20200627.html%3foutputType=amp

Wut? It is a free speech thread . . . ( lolol )

Blackwolf
Blackwolf
I.M.Blackwolf
Dangerous Mind
11awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 31st Mar 2018
Forum Posts: 1931

Ahavati said:WOW!

Princeton strips Woodrow Wilson’s name from school; Demonstrators gather at Hahnemann, Penn’s Landing

Princeton University Saturday announced it would strip the name of former U.S. President Woodrow Wilson from its school of public and international affairs and one of its residential colleges.
Rallies and demonstrations denouncing racial injustice continue across Philadelphia this weekend, including an “Art Thrives from Black Lives” event in West Philadelphia and “Care Not Cops Rally” at City Hall.
More than 850 alumni and students of the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts, along with members of the greater arts community, have signed a petition calling for restructuring its leadership.
Temple became the second area university this past week to withdraw funding from the Philadelphia Police Foundation amid concerns from students, faculty, and protesters about police brutality.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.inquirer.com/health/coronavirus/live/philadelphia-protests-updates-news-black-lives-matter-police-reform-george-floyd-20200627.html%3foutputType=amp


Yo , Yo , Way To Go !

cabcool
cabcool
Fire of Insight
Jamaica
7awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 27th Feb 2014
Forum Posts: 324

that I am black

"Herein lies the tragedy of the age: not that men are poor—all men know something
of poverty; not that men are wicked—who is good? Not that men are ignorant—
what is truth?  Nay, but that men know so little of men.” —W.E.B. Dubois

 
that i am black is not
        to say you are not white;
that i am wrong is not
        to say that you are right.
while hungry beg i, how
        can you be so well-fed,
so full of life, while here
        i grovel, all but dead?
that you have nightmares means
        not that i have not dreams;
your narrow views mean not
        i cannot grasp extremes;
could i see not, scarce would
        i fathom you were blind!
my stolen freedom liberates
         not you, confined
by cruel vigil with
        your knee upon my neck.
shame’s salt sea mine, proudly
        you claim the quarterdeck;
my lowly being but under-
        scores your fickle pride,
whose false content my lack
        has merely amplified.
that you are white is not
        to say that nothing black
can find true purchase in
        the earth’s vast almanac!
 
© Copyright 2020 June 24
by Clyve A. Bowen♫
Written by cabcool
Go To Page  
Ahavati said:

Thank you for offering my work in this forum, Ahavati.  You do me a great honour.  To the extent that it might be relevant to the discussion, it may resonate with some readers and become a dialogue piece for looking at the colour divide from another angle...

Ahavati
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
87awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 6751

cabcool said:

Thank you for offering my work in this forum, Ahavati.  You do me a great honour.  To the extent that it might be relevant to the discussion, it may resonate with some readers and become a dialogue piece for looking at the colour divide from another angle...


It was my honor, Cabcool.  Things are changing EVERYWHERE, even in places that I thought I wouldn't live to see change!  It's wonderful and we need to keep the momentum up!  The removal of monuments and flags is a wonderful gesture, but we need true reform to move forward. Baby steps are good as long as the baby eventually learns to run.

Blackwolf
Blackwolf
I.M.Blackwolf
Dangerous Mind
11awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 31st Mar 2018
Forum Posts: 1931

All for those of sexual practices , especially condemned ,
to approve mainstream models of those who recognize
we have the power !

Go for it , and know we are with you !

Blackwolf
Blackwolf
I.M.Blackwolf
Dangerous Mind
11awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 31st Mar 2018
Forum Posts: 1931

Cabcool...

We do not agree in religious belief ( and I was *raised* christian / religious) ;

But we agree we must be alllowed our say ; for that , I agree ! Truth !

cabcool
cabcool
Fire of Insight
Jamaica
7awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 27th Feb 2014
Forum Posts: 324

Ahavati said:We'd like to take this moment to thank our moderators Grace and MadameLavender for their assistance in keeping this thread clean and free from self-aggrandizing promotion. Also to all participants for their mutual respect toward one another, as well as their willingness to discuss these matters with an open mind.

I add my hail-up to that, Ahavati!
Moderators can often be left to navigate between rocks and hard places and different rival noises.  Sometimes they have to make sense from dross and logic from blur.  If, after all is said and done, we come away with even a minuscule shred of reason,  we must thank those whose nobility keeps up sane.

To my fellow participants, too:  whether you bring seed or rain or sunshine or drought or weed or bounty; thanks for your unique motifs in this expanding tapestry.  May the outcome be not merely noise and fury but reason and progress.

Go to page:
Go to: