Go to page:

August Virtual Open Mic - 6th August

poet Anonymous

Crazontheinside said:Do you only read, famous and other poets not your own? And how does the set up work if you read? That I would need I mean?

May I draw your attention to the first post in this thread :

FAQ’s

How does it work?

I’m glad you asked.

The format will be slightly different this time. Please let me know beforehand if you would like to read. All names will be drawn from a bowl at random to determine the reading order.

You will be invited to do a set of two /  three / four poems. We will ask you to introduce yourself very briefly, and then the stage is yours while you read your poems. These can be your poems, another DU members work (with permission) or a famous poets work (crediting the author, obviously... we don’t want any plagiarism...)

Once all the poets have read their pieces, we then have a free for all! A good old chat, joke and a social. So it’s a good chance to hang out with other poets. I’m hoping to gather a few non-DU friends for this and open this event up a bit if I can. That’s my goal anyway.

Do I have to have my camera on?

Absolutely not. We want you to be comfortable, so it’s not compulsory. Though a couple of us braved it last time and it was lovely to see and get to know people better. For that reason also, no screenshots are allowed and no recording will take place.

How do I join?

The event will be hosted (the July event has not been organised yet) please PM Missy for the details (when the time comes - this will be announced in the forum)

Are there any rules?

Only a few:

* No screenshots or recording is allowed under any circumstances for the comfort of all taking part. Anyone found to be doing either will not be invited back.

* Verbal bashing of any DU members of any kind is not allowed under any circumstances. We’re all just here for a good night of poetry without all the drama.

* Please do not interrupt or heckle a person when they are reading. It’s nerve wracking enough without that shit.

* Please save conversation outside of the poetry until the end of all the readings. This is so the flow of the evening doesn’t get interrupted.

* Be respectful of others and don’t be a dick.

Crazontheinside
Joanna Ryan-McDonald
Twisted Dreamer
Canada
Joined 5th Feb 2020
Forum Posts: 22

Oh I’m sorry I did read it honest I must have passed it quick I have bad eyes too but my fault. But how do u read it I mean do u go on a link and activate your mic or web cam though I doubt I’ll brave the face part

poet Anonymous

Crazontheinside said:Oh I’m sorry I did read it honest I must have passed it quick I have bad eyes too but my fault. But how do u read it I mean do u go on a link and activate your mic or web cam though I doubt I’ll brave the face part

https://youtu.be/9isp3qPeQ0E

A handy guide to what Zoom is

DanielChristensen
The Fire Elemental
Tyrant of Words
United States 36awards
Joined 27th Feb 2016
Forum Posts: 239

Crazontheinside said:Oh I’m sorry I did read it honest I must have passed it quick I have bad eyes too but my fault. But how do u read it I mean do u go on a link and activate your mic or web cam though I doubt I’ll brave the face part

Hi Joanna, I hope you'll join us for an open mic some time, it's really a nice and respectful bunch of people and we all have a good time sharing poems and usually having a casual chat afterwards. If you know anyone else who you think might be interested, please direct them to this thread.

Stay safe and proceed in calm abiding.

In kindness,
Daniel

Crazontheinside
Joanna Ryan-McDonald
Twisted Dreamer
Canada
Joined 5th Feb 2020

I need to get better with my anxiety, its hell and there is so much sadness in my community (suicides,bullying, od's etc...) I want to help more with my words. there is poetry shops here and I want to read them out loud in front of people but I know my anxiety just wont let me so I thought maybe this would be a good start. also to spread my words of mental health...I have so many that I haven't posted. the more I write and help I find it helps me heal from the torture I went through that's made me this way. really sucks but its life im not one to have people feel sorry for me but when I get a panic attack I feel like everyone does and I hate that. so I need to help myself with that and help other people

Crazontheinside
Joanna Ryan-McDonald
Twisted Dreamer
Canada
Joined 5th Feb 2020

could someone do one with me for practice and to get it set up in my computer? she said you get the invite then download it through the invite

Crazontheinside
Joanna Ryan-McDonald
Twisted Dreamer
Canada
Joined 5th Feb 2020

something else I did that's sad is last year I was helping the overdose awareness day community thing and I drew these shirts for a girl who asked an idea and I created it but the day came I gave her the shirt and she sold them in her name (I wanted no money it was for the cause), so there are shirts with her name on it and I don't want to be that girl who cant come and gets backstabbed anymore because I always help when im asked for a community project to do with mental health. here is the shirt

poet Anonymous

Nothing has been set up yet for July. Once it has, then we’ll talk 🙂

poet Anonymous

Hello chaps & chapettes!

I’ve been waiting to find out some more details about my work before I tried to launch another open mic.

I’m looking to set one up on the week between 3rd - 9th August. Rather than a vote, please can you just express when you can and can’t do and I’ll just go with the date that suits the most people.

I’m afraid we are gonna have to go back to Skype. Purely because l can’t afford the monthly fee to use Zoom which comes out of my own pocket.

So yes. August. Discuss 👍🏻

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
poet Anonymous

Anonymous said:<< post removed >>

Belting

paperstains
Fire of Insight
3awards
Joined 7th May 2017
Forum Posts: 106

Currently, I'm clear for all of those days.  That doesn't sound very helpful, though.

poet Anonymous

paperstains said:Currently, I'm clear for all of those days.  That doesn't sound very helpful, though.

That’s great! Just means you’re super available

DaisyGrace
Dangerous Mind
United States 17awards
Joined 29th Mar 2017
Forum Posts: 1365

Unless it is the weekend or after 5:00 pm eastern standard time, I’m unavailable. Well, I can listen and still be at work. But I could make any time for 7,8, and 9 work.

poet Anonymous

DaisyGrace said:Unless it is the weekend or after 5:00 pm eastern standard time, I’m unavailable. Well, I can listen and still be at work. But I could make any time for 7,8, and 9 work.

Ok thanks I’ll add 7th / 8th / 9th to the tally and keep you posted.

The reason I’m doing it this way is people were clicking the vote without attending just to mess it up. So this way is a more accurate gauge of when people can actually attend :)

Go to page:
Go to: