Go to page:

Freedom of Speech and Censorship

Layla
Fire of Insight
7awards
Joined 3rd May 2018
Forum Posts: 1216

Wow, that actually happened to me too.
It wasn't an apology but empathy and the poor bloke blocked me.
It's ok..if that's all it took to make him feel better than not only i'm empathtic by symapathic also.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14263

Layla said:Wow, that actually happened to me too.
It wasn't an apology but empathy and the poor bloke blocked me.
It's ok..if that's all it took to make him feel better than not only i'm empathtic by symapathic also.

Wasn't he just confused over the unfollow button vs block? I thought we had a discussion about that at some point, and someone was going to try to explain it to him.

Layla
Fire of Insight
7awards
Joined 3rd May 2018
Forum Posts: 1216

Ahavati said:

Wasn't he just confused over the unfollow button vs block? I thought we had a discussion about that at some point, and someone was going to try to explain it to him.

That was a different situation.
There were no msgs exchanged by me and yes it still appears that the confusion of buttons hasn't clarified even though some msgs have been sent by a mod to inform that paticular member.  

This other incident I'm referring to is something that happened about a year ago.  Someone was having a public nervous breakdown in a Du forum and I reached out with empathy and then I was blocked.
What's interesting is that about 4 or maybe 5 yrs ago, another person who was having a public meltdown.  Crying for help on Fb, i reached out thinking its what they needed and feeling that its the right thing to do rather than look away (since they did actually ask for help publicly) and next thing I know I was blocked the next day.
I"m starting to realize situtations like that, its because that person is embarrased upon reflection so the best way to avoid their own issue is by blocking that person.
And, I'm totally cool about it.  
It's everyone's prerogative to do what makes them feel 'right' at the moment.  But since we're all sharing unjust or rightful blocking.  I felt I can share my own experience as well.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14263

Right. Under those conditions, it's not about you but them and how they're viewing the world.  It's a good thing you are not taking it personally.

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
David_Macleod
Tyrant of Words
United Kingdom 39awards
Joined 5th Nov 2014
Forum Posts: 2983

Anonymous said:<< post removed >>

LMFAO

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
PandoraUnleashed
Tyrant of Words
United States 12awards
Joined 29th Mar 2018
Forum Posts: 39

So much THIS, David!!!!
I'm a girl of few words or use here anymore. Traipsing into the threads was my pivotal point of disgust here ; full of bullshit, bullying & narcissism...AND it wasn't YOU playing either of those games.

Don't mind me though, I can't claim proper poetess status and believed in a  family atmosphere.  #1 rule} be here for poetry only, real poetry at that AND never dare visit the trashy erotica genre. 🙄

I forgot to quote his reply...

Here is how I view how forums work or don't work. 2 years of experience on the wrong side of censorship It is certainly something that I have issues with. The mode have a very difficult job as it is. They get accused of all sorts yet most Mods (not all) seem to want to keep the peace and for certain people that might be necessary. In my experience it sometimes is misplaced and there are certain people that seem protected from on high from punishment for breaking DU guidelines. Protected to abuse people on a regular basis even at the expense of losing members. 

Some people are not given real credit for doing things positively for the site so where is the incentive, justice and fairness are not always high on the agenda. So your choice is to put up and shut up or leave. That is the experience of many members and ex-members yet a select few can virtually act with impunity.  This and other threads currently would seem to be bathing in irony without people realising it. 

"DU is all about the poetry!" I hear this by quite a few people who are regularly the very source of discord and drama. Theses same people who rail against censorship are actively complaining about other members and having them censored, usually for no real sin that disagreeing with them. What is clear is that the forums have constantly been the main source of bullying, abuse, hatred and drama. In fact, it appears to be a section where flaming and abuse are being tolerated. 

So what's the point I am trying to make. The death of the forums was once intimated, replacing these with organised groups where rules were set out leaving people in no doubt what would be tolerated or not. They then have a real choice. 

So let's lessen the moderator's workload dealing with bullshit and drama, let's lessen the chance of abuse and bullying even taking place. 

"LET'S ABOLISH THE FORUMS SECTION!" 

If anyone wants to put the work in to form and run a group for poetry based information and ideas then they can simply step up to the plate. 

This for me should be the future of the site and if it doesn't happen then the site will never change or get any better. 

I have been considering my continued membership of DU and I know of quite a few that are also doing so as well. Now I know that my leaving DU is anything like a threat, and a threat it is not. I think I could leave DU without creating a ripple unless its a ripple of applause.  

I now see that the "Abolition of the Forums"in favour of hard-working groups as the only way forward and purely an attempt to bring improvement and positivity to the site. 

I am sure this comment will be reported and may well be taken down, but people who are all about poetry and inclusion will respond with other positive comments 

Valeriyabeyond
Dhyana
Dangerous Mind
3awards
Joined 3rd May 2020
Forum Posts: 2668

PandoraUnleashed said:So much THIS, David!!!!
I'm a girl of few words or use here anymore. Traipsing into the threads was my pivotal point of disgust here ; full of bullshit, bullying & narcissism...AND it wasn't YOU playing either of those games.

Don't mind me though, I can't claim proper poetess status and believed in a  family atmosphere.  #1 rule} be here for poetry only, real poetry at that AND never dare visit the trashy erotica genre. 🙄

I forgot to quote his reply...

This comment is a bit difficult  for me to understand
You lowered yourself straight from the top
To say you are of no use here is unnecessary we all have value ,
This made your comment hold less weight than it otherwise would have
You should claim poetess status as much as anyone else does
and believe me we all have hope for a family atmosphere which is what it is
Show me a family that doesn't fight during get together's
not to mention us girls who still believe in the fairy tale of the betrothed
Stand up tall sister say what you mean and mean what you say
The real hook that grabbed me was your interjection on Erotica
To you its not poetry to others it is
what is the point of  even mentioning erotica  in this context
that is something of a leap from the curb to the pedestal  quite quickly
The whole feel of this is you not giving much credit to yourself only to boost yourself up by putting erotica down
HMmmm  What did all this accomplish
how did this even relate to Davids quote
nobody feels good now

EdibleWords
Tyrant of Words
8awards
Joined 7th Jan 2018
Forum Posts: 2993

Breaking news, Singing ban plus song about isolation with God

EdibleWords
Go To Page  

nikkimoe
Tyrant of Words
United States 12awards
Joined 31st May 2012
Forum Posts: 282

I've been here 8 years.
Dont play much in the forums but I do scroll, I like DUP the way it is.

Every other poetry sites format sucks. DUP has the best format.

Dont like the forums? Dont look at them.
Problem solved.

PandoraUnleashed
Tyrant of Words
United States 12awards
Joined 29th Mar 2018

PandoraUnleashed
Tyrant of Words
United States 12awards
Joined 29th Mar 2018

Valeriyabeyond...

Excuse me, but it's all in light to those of arrogance here, those who've insinuated these things. "They" are why I and many others aren't here. David knew very well what i was saying, as my comment was directed at him and we've spoken about it many times.

So nobody feels good now? How sad. Before you get all defensive, go look at the genre I've posted over 75% of my stuff in.  I only showed up after 9 days away {because I've grown to hate this place} to look at this crap so many of us have felt, because another returning member and I were texting about it.  Family? Hah, you missed the "family" in it's prime. I know all about a family we once had. Not everyone has been part of mine, especially those saying we're delusional to expect a family atmosphere/closeness, that this site is strictly for poetry only.

And BTW, I'm not a poetess and I'm proud to not be as arrogant in wishing for some stupid title. I've carried myself out my entire time here to smear it in faces that I'm here to "write" and don't give a single shit about conformity because they push it. Lowered myself? I think not, empowered myself is more like it, as well as others who aren't considered "proper" minions in writing skills..ones like me that are here to simply "write".

Go to page:
Go to: