Go to page:

Freedom of Speech and Censorship

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14648

WTF?! I am looking into the context of this unacceptable behaviour.

Donald Trump (Part II): "I Can't Breathe", for Nearly 9 Minutes

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Fjw5ykRiBkA&feature=youtu.be

Edit: Here is the original video in context:

https://youtu.be/531VeqkY2nE

While it does NOT infer in anyway it is related to George Floyd, it is nonetheless mocking others, which is appalling and disgraceful.

Layla
Fire of Insight
7awards
Joined 3rd May 2018
Forum Posts: 1216

The last couple of days I noticed on IG that some of the companies I follow have been putting out posts disclosing their employee percentage based on race.  Then i saw that its a campaign called #pulluporshutup forcing the companies to do so within a 72 hour period.  
I actually praised the upfront honesty that the companies I followed did so, till i went to the page where the campaign was hashtagged from and read the word 'force', now i have a mixed feeling about the whole thing.  I'm not sure why the word 'force' bothers me and the rest in the statement that the consumers should basically boycott them if they refuse to disclose their employee %.

What do you all think, is this something that needed to be 'forced' on companies or consumers ?
Will the disclosure help us in the way we make better choices, which companies to purchase from?

Edit: I retract reading the word 'force' but rather the implied meaning of the wording in the statement.

Layla
Fire of Insight
7awards
Joined 3rd May 2018

Here's an example of a post on IG based on the campaign above.

runaway-mindtrain
Dangerous Mind
United States 8awards
Joined 30th July 2017
Forum Posts: 759

That is true and just like today it was white democrats doing all the fuckery... While they blame conservatives....Motherfuck the Jim Crow, racist, terrorist, arsonist, democrat party ... Then and now....

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Layla said:The last couple of days I noticed on IG that some of the companies I follow have been putting out posts disclosing their employee percentage based on race.  Then i saw that its a campaign called #pulluporshutup forcing the companies to do so within a 72 hour period.  
I actually praised the upfront honesty that the companies I followed did so, till i went to the page where the campaign was hashtagged from and read the word 'force', now i have a mixed feeling about the whole thing.  I'm not sure why the word 'force' bothers me and the rest in the statement that the consumers should basically boycott them if they refuse to disclose their employee %.

What do you all think, is this something that needed to be 'forced' on companies or consumers ?
Will the disclosure help us in the way we make better choices, which companies to purchase from?

Edit: I retract reading the word 'force' but rather the implied meaning of the wording in the statement.

Thank you for sharing, Layla.  I wasn't aware of this movement until now.  Corporations stand to make a profit off statements supporting civil rights' issues. They don't put their money where their mouth is by a long shot because their goal is profit and image, not lasting change. They're jumping on the bandwagon of a hot topic without contributing to its success, simply to look good and raise their bottom line: it's a PR move, not a genuine desire to change their methods of operation. After this is all over, they'll go about their merry way without having done anything significant for real change except open their mouths.

I typically eschew ultimatums, and feel the same way in regards to force; however, in this particular case, I do believe such ultimatums are warranted due to the historic contradictions of where these corporate professions stand. Now is the time for white people to follow the lead of black leaders instead of controlling the narrative by making false statements for the sake of their image.  

Now is the time for our lily-white asses ( or olive, in my case ) to listen, follow, and join in.

#pulluporshutup

Layla
Fire of Insight
7awards
Joined 3rd May 2018

I agree Ahavati, this is the time to come out and how companies have been staffing and whether it was intentionally or unintentionally making hiring choices, this will make them be more conscious of it.
We will see how much they will follow up on this, will they put up another list of their employee % at the end of the year to show progress, will they do it volunteerily or they need to be pushed again to do so with this current campaign.
At the end of the day, how many of us will make purchasing choices remembering these companies?
I've purchased from companies that are black owned, run by black women and i did because their products were outstanding, i didn't do it base on race.
On the other hand there are white owned companies that i won't buy because i've had horrible experience with their customer service.
So I'm not sure, going forward how people will make choices how to support, whom to support..again, every step helps in awareness.

I was just thinking about where i work..we have close to 150 employees and its so embarrassing to say that we have only 4 black employees.  Where I am is the second most diverse city in the country, where i live is primarily mid to slightly upper middle class but 90% of the employees are hispanic and the other 10% is split between african american and other.
Yeah..not good.

Umm
Dangerous Mind
1awards
Joined 6th Dec 2015
Forum Posts: 2387

...nevermind.

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5573

Ahavati said:

Some are countering Just to be countering.

Meanwhile, why did I not know about this? This is where it  ( riots and property destruction ) all began. . .

The Devastation of Black Wall Street

Tulsa, Oklahoma. 1921. A wave of racial violence destroys an affluent African-American community, seen as a threat to white-dominated American capitalism.

https://daily.jstor.org/the-devastation-of-black-wall-street/

News to me too. There was never anything like that in school text books of the 70's and 80's.

I've heard all about the Chicago Fire. Apparently a cow supposedly kicking over an oil lantern is more history book worthy.

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 14458

Umm said:...nevermind.

It's a decent debate, I watched a lot of it a while back, but never got to finish it. thanks for sharing  I can finish watching it now

I think, if my Hollywood history serves me correct the conscription riots of 1863 (gangs of newyork) are widely accepted as the most destructive and racially charged riots of (modern) America

it was mostly the Irish who started it. initially it was to protest conscription to the civil war, then turned into an anti-black rampage which saw many people of colour murdered on the street and an orphanage burned to the ground

apparently the Irish thought that if they helped to free the slaves it would come back upon them  afterwards re wages and accommodation etc which was by all accounts (for the Irish Catholics anyway) already a living hell

Umm
Dangerous Mind
1awards
Joined 6th Dec 2015
Forum Posts: 2387

Im glad you liked the debate Lep. However, I'm not ready to participate in this discussion -- so I've stepped out of it.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

JohnnyBlaze said:

News to me too. There was never anything like that in school text books of the 70's and 80's.

I've heard all about the Chicago Fire. Apparently a cow supposedly kicking over an oil lantern is more history book worthy.

Apparently.

Blackwolf
I.M.Blackwolf
Tyrant of Words
13awards
Joined 31st Mar 2018
Forum Posts: 3572

Ahavati said:WTF?! I am looking into the context of this unacceptable behaviour.

Truth about him being an asshole here ;

Yet , he did not say it for 9 minutes ,
and it came from an earlier incident ,
not George Floyd related...

Someone looped an earlier recorded speech...

We *need* to pay close attention to accuracy ,
with any criticisms ,of incidents , and I know
you know that , Ahavati...

I just checked further , and found what was truth...

He is still an asshole...

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

The Real Reason White People Say ‘All Lives Matter’

Why “Black” Makes Us Uncomfortable

Dear fellow white people, let’s have an honest talk about why we say “All Lives Matter.”  First of all, notice that no one was saying “All Lives Matter” before people started saying “Black Lives Matter.”  So “All Lives Matter” is a response to “Black Lives Matter.”  Apparently, something about the statement “Black Lives Matter” makes us uncomfortable.  Why is that?

Now some white people might say that singling out Black people’s lives as mattering somehow means that white lives don’t matter.  Of course, that’s silly.  If you went to a Breast Cancer Awareness event, you wouldn’t think that they were saying that other types of cancer don’t matter.  And you’d be shocked if someone showed up with a sign saying “Colon Cancer Matters” or chanting “All Cancer Patients Matter.”  So clearly, something else is prompting people to say “All Lives Matter” in response to “Black Lives Matter.”

Many of the people saying “All Lives Matter” also are fond of saying “Blue Lives Matter.”  If you find that the statement “Black Lives Matter” bothers you, but not “Blue Lives Matter,” then the operative word is “Black”.  That should tell us something.  There’s something deeply discomfiting about the word “Black.”  I think it’s because it reminds us of our whiteness and challenges our notion that race doesn’t matter.

[ . . . ]

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/dear-fellow-white-people-_b_11109842?ncid=engmodushpmg00000003&fbclid=IwAR1WnF_ChI0ESkaHRHGypBpcWOCQv86vT52ZOuitwraBtcNPz-p2Rf63seg

Valeriyabeyond
Dhyana
Dangerous Mind
3awards
Joined 3rd May 2020
Forum Posts: 2668

Ahavati said:WTF?! I am looking into the context of this unacceptable behaviour.

WTF
I have no words right now that I would share in public
There  are people in the crowd laughing
I need to break away

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Blackwolf said:

Truth about him being an asshole here ;

Yet , he did not say it for 9 minutes ,
and it came from an earlier incident ,
not George Floyd related...

Someone looped an earlier recorded speech...

We *need* to pay close attention to accuracy ,
with any criticisms ,of incidents , and I know
you know that , Ahavati...

I just checked further , and found what was truth...

He is still an asshole...

BW, nowhere does it say Trump ( and I certainly didn't imply it ) said this for 9 min. I think it's common sense that he didn't? But maybe I am wrong on that. . . It was looped for 9 min to give us an idea of just how long George Floyd said  "I Can't Breathe", for Nearly 9 Minutes. . .the very fact that I just had to explain that to you says so much. . .

And if you don't mind cutting the winks when you address me, I would appreciate it. It reminds me of the middle-aged white men down south who like to pat a woman's head and mansplain with a wink what she needs to understand. It's the main reason I typically ignore you.

However, I've chosen to be honest, which is very difficult because the majority do not accept it.

Thank you.

Go to page:
Go to: