Freedom of Speech and Censorship

JohnnyBlaze
JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States
20awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 2568

Do to an increase in concerns about freedom of speech and censorship cluttering up other threads, please post your thoughts about such here.

Recently it's been repeatedly demonstrated that threads at DUP are being locked up after 100 pages or at about 1.5 - 7K comments for reasons yet to be explained by the Webmiss or mods doing the locking who don't even know why themselves. The Webmiss can explain the reasoning for this at her own scheduling. In the meanwhile . . .

What we do know is that the desire for discussion and banter in the forum is picking up steam again after a dry spell and forum threads are once again becoming popular. Perhaps it is a testament to a lack of desire to participate in and maintain groups - can't say for sure.

Rather than have popular threads needlessly locked, new threads created to continue and ultimately having a clusterfuck of threads with similar names - we could be more considerate when posting. Banter is one thing and completely anticipated and acceptable, attempts to derail threads with off topic discussions is another - such drives popular threads into an early grave as well as kills the interest level of those interested in the original topic.

If you are that passionate about a subject, why not create your own thread?

Nothing is preventing you from doing so, except for perhaps a pervasive need to siphon attention away from other threads for personal gratification.

Unless you are being bullied or threatened with banishment by a moderator for personal reasons, you have the freedom to regardless of any complaint you have about being a victim of censorship.

However, if you are being legitimately bullied or threatened by anyone moderator or otherwise, you would do yourself and others a service to speak up about it. Some of us have been in your shoes; you are not alone.

Again, freedom of speech and censorship at DUP or globally - have at it.

Ahavati
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
85awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 5925

It does get confusing. My initial covid-19 thread was closed at 1.5 replies ( 100 pages ), while the Ask a Question thread was at 2.0 replies and the favorite band thread was at 1.7 replies.  The Eternal Darkness. . . thread is currently at 1.5 replies and still going strong.

The former two have been closed and restarted, but not until after questioning the difference.  I do know as a former moderator that a capacity notification is received in regards to a thread's size, which is why popular ones are often closed and restarted. Therefore, it's not a matter of moderators picking random threads to lock. However, it is a moderator's discretion over when to close it once the capacity notification has been received. And, conversely, when not to.  

The initial NaPo 2020 thread was notified it would be closed at 1.5 replies, yet was given a grace period to 1.8 replies ( much appreciated ) .  But, then it was closed without consideration of notification, nor the opportunity to create a new one and redirect subscribers from the old to the new.  This was critical, as we were still in the process of featuring Napo entrants' poetry, and had to resort to messaging until we could get it unlocked to redirect subscribers and participants ( thank you, MadameLavender ).

Knowing the whatnots of limits regarding closures would help us understand, i.e. - threads will be closed with the opportunity to restart ( at 1.5, 1.7, 2.0? replies/pages, etc. ). This simple information would explain the process so every thread starter is on equal grounds and knows what to expect ( and when ), as well as prevent biased actions against certain members by certain moderators who close member threads while leaving their own open.

As to the rest of your points, certain mindsets are always going to insert themselves into popular threads to get noticed.

Edit: I want to add that by decree of Webmiss, members are allowed to criticise the site respectfully. However, this isn't so much a criticism as request for clarification to dispel confusion.

Ahavati
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
Joined 11th Apr 2015

I want to add two things:

First, NaPo is an OFFICIAL DU Function highly advertised and a representation of this site. It should not have just been closed without consideration or discussion. Particularly when it's still in operation featuring its entrants.

Secondly, this might be better served in the suggestion forum for Webmiss.

JohnnyBlaze
JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States
Joined 20th Mar 2015

As long as people can discuss censorship and freedom of speech here instead of polluting innumurable threads, anywhere but the Boiler Room is fine with me.

lepperochan
lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
65awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 13317

The reason threads are locked at a certain level is because after a while when  people click onto it they find themselves on the wrong page and subsequently answer the wrong post

thread count is automated, if a thread hits a certain amount of size and substance a message appears for a mod to lock it and start another

for instance the what's your favourite song thread will have many pages with little volume because for the most part only a link is posted

In regards threads, theres none  more important than another

I gave you a heads up your thread was flagged to be locked up. you asked me to hold off for a few days  I waited 20.

I find it a but odd thet you would both start a thread about free speech, yet you are both the least tolerant people on the site

The NaPo registration thread has no value to the site. people registered, people took part, it is over, well done. it would appear threads are being flogged to death go bring some kind of validity to the hosts

more than that, when Madam lavender opened a comp it was shat on with the same snide digs as always

That's fair enough, free speech and all that jazz.

have a bit of respect. you may gain some

This thread is clearly just for a whinge.

Good stuff, grab some tissues

*hat tip*

MadameLavender
MadameLavender
Guardian of Shadows
United States
75awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 17th Feb 2013
Forum Posts: 5147

As a moderator, I'll  jump in here with a more defined definition of freedom of speech:  We are all "free" to "say" what we choose to, but when what is chosen to be said, is verbal abuse toward another person, stalking, threats, and anything that promotes illegal/criminal activity, then that's the stuff that will get you censored.  

Why?   Because no one is "free" to harm another person, verbally, mentally or emotionally with the words they say--that's just being an asshole on the speaker's part, and to gloss it over under the guise of "it's my right"---nope.  Sorry--it is not your right to be abusive and not get zinged for it.

All freedoms must be used with wisdom--just because you can, doesn't always mean that you should.  

lepperochan
lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
65awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 13317

MadameLavender said:As a moderator, I'll  jump in here with a more defined definition of freedom of speech:  We are all "free" to "say" what we choose to, but when what is chosen to be said, is verbal abuse toward another person, stalking, threats, and anything that promotes illegal/criminal activity, then that's the stuff that will get you censored.  

Why?   Because no one is "free" to harm another person, verbally, mentally or emotionally with the words they say--that's just being an asshole on the speaker's part, and to gloss it over under the guise of "it's my right"---nope.  Sorry--it is not your right to be abusive and not get zinged for it.

All freedoms must be used with wisdom--just because you can, doesn't always mean that you should.  

Agreed, however what we're talking about here is site rules and guidelines and such so technically it doesn't really fall under freedom of speech

That's to say we're not in an environment wher freedom of speech prevails over site regulations

so in that sense, what you said is the hard truth. seems easy enough to understand

JohnnyBlaze
JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States
Joined 20th Mar 2015

MadameLavender said:As a moderator, I'll  jump in here with a more defined definition of freedom of speech:  We are all "free" to "say" what we choose to, but when what is chosen to be said, is verbal abuse toward another person, stalking, threats, and anything that promotes illegal/criminal activity, then that's the stuff that will get you censored.  

Thank for your opinion on the subject! It is greatly appreciated, even if you've had to remind people for several years now. I recall you saying much of the same 5 years ago.

Ahavati
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
Joined 11th Apr 2015

lepperochan said:The reason threads are locked at a certain level is because after a while when  people click onto it they find themselves on the wrong page and subsequently answer the wrong post

thread count is automated, if a thread hits a certain amount of size and substance a message appears for a mod to lock it and start another

for instance the what's your favourite song thread will have many pages with little volume because for the most part only a link is posted

I get that. I actually said that I got that in my response to Johnny.  Many aren't familiarized with the site or its functions in regards to forum threads.

I gave you a heads up your thread was flagged to be locked up. you asked me to hold off for a few days  I waited 20.

And I PUBLICLY thanked you for it ( twice ); however, we are still in the midst of featuring our NaPo entrants, and a little consideration would've been nice so that we could've had a heads up and linked to a new one; thus our subscribers would've been alerted. You just shut the entire thing down.

I find it a but odd thet you would both start a thread about free speech, yet you are both the least tolerant people on the site

I am unsure why you're implicating me here, Craic. I had no idea Johnny was going to start this thread.  However, I stand behind his decision to.

The NaPo registration thread has no value to the site. people registered, people took part, it is over, well done. it would appear threads are being flogged to death go bring some kind of validity to the hosts

It does when it's the communication thread for the event and we haven't finished featuring our entrants yet.  We don't need validity. NaPo is an Official DU Event.  We need a bit of consideration from a moderator who has verbally attacked our character repeatedly ( so much so he's had to be reported ). This response included.

more than that, when Madam lavender opened a comp it was shat on with the same snide digs as always

I have more than enough respect on this site and will not lower myself to reciprocate your character judgments.

A little consideration next time is all we're asking for ( in addition to a bit of understanding ). Thank you.

Ahavati
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Exactly.  Including moderators.  That is an ultimate abuse of power.

JohnnyBlaze
JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States
Joined 20th Mar 2015

lepperochan said:The reason threads are locked at a certain level is because after a while when  people click onto it they find themselves on the wrong page and subsequently answer the wrong post

Good stuff, grab some tissues

*hat tip*

I look forward to the actual reason for locking threads from the actual person who insists they be locked and why, because you certainly had no idea why 2 weeks ago.

And as usual, you make unsubstantiated claims ( about comps and snide remarks ) and provide no evidence to back them up.

As for what you said about the Napo thread ... you must be confusing its "lack of value" with another thread.

Have a nice day.

the5thRiddler
the5thRiddler
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom
  profile   poems   message
Joined 6th Aug 2019
Forum Posts: 1425

I appreciate the competition.
Some real cocky people here, and Iíve laughed at what theyíve wrote.
I get an apology, everything cool. If not, no cookies for you. Simple.
Iím out.

Ahavati
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
Joined 11th Apr 2015

lepperochan said:

You know what, Craic, you are RIGHT! I am the LEAST TOLERANT person of BULLSHIT BULLYING/STALKING/HARASSING on this site and will stand up to it regardless of WHO it is: moderator included.

JohnnyBlaze
JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States
Joined 20th Mar 2015

Ahavati said:

You know what, Craic, you are RIGHT! I am the LEAST TOLERANT person of BULLSHIT BULLYING/STALKING/HARASSING on this site and will stand up to it regardless of WHO it is: moderator included.

^ She really is ... but I do come in a close 2nd. ^

Carpe_Noctem
Carpe_Noctem
Dangerous Mind
United Kingdom
7awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 3rd Mar 2013
Forum Posts: 2412

the5thRiddler said:I appreciate the competition.
Some real cocky people here, and Iíve laughed at what theyíve wrote.
I get an apology, everything cool. If not, no cookies for you. Simple.
Iím out.

Virtue flex exit stage left

Go to page:
Go to: