Go to page:

Recommend a Movie/Documentary/Show

Layla
Fire of Insight
7awards
Joined 3rd May 2018
Forum Posts: 1216

More of great recommendations Yay!
Thanks Gw, Socks, someone named Anonymous, David, Johnny and Ahavati.   I will definitely check back in this thread when I'm looking for something good to watch this week.

I did watch "47 meters down Uncaged" on AmazonPrime and enjoyed it very much.  I think this second movie had better special effects..the thrill, the suspense just kept going.  It was awesome but I did favor the first movie just a tad more only because it had that twist in the end and I"m a sucker when it comes to twists.

Then I watched "Rocketman" on Amazonprime and loved it.  It's about Elton john's life, it had few instances where the characters broke into musicals..which was a bit odd and I didn't particularly care for it cause that musical aspect didn't really amount to anything special.  I think Elton John must've had a big influence in it since he loves musicals and had to insert some in the movie.  The lead actor did a terrific job portraying him, hell he even looked exactly like him, the little boy playing him was so adorable.   Overall great movie..but if i had to compare it to Behemian Rhapsody, Bohemian Rhapsody i liked more.

Now...drum roll for a fanstastic discovery and I don't say it lightly when I say.."Drop everything and go to Amazonprime to watch this movie"
An Indian movie called "Photograph" in Hindu and subtitles of 80% and 20% spoken in english. Gorgeous, understated love story between strangers, class distinction (lighter skin, darker skin) and how life intersects lives accidentely, haphazardly, cosmically..There's no sex, no kissing but just one scene where there hands touch but everything else is slowly built, the characters are so well written as the story unfolds and we have no idea where it's going or how it will end.  The star in my opinion is the grandmother dadi, who is a little firecracker lol, i loved her to pieces.  Watching the scenes shot in India, The streets, the building, the culture, the food, the aroma..down to the street venders cooking on the streets then wrapping the food in newspaper, the nostalgia of food or drinks tied to memory and how we see ourselves in photographs.  One of the most beautiful lines i heard in the movie,  the main actress describing seeing herself in a photograph, she said, " I didn't recognize myself...I looked happy."
Wow, what a line!  A must watch movie, I highly recommend it.

Layla
Fire of Insight
7awards
Joined 3rd May 2018

Jeffrey Epstein: Filthy rich on Neflix.

It's a documentary that if you haven't been disgusted by the rich and the powerful and the power of manipulation by now then you should most definitely watch.  It's a very well produced 4 part series that will suck you in and you can't stop watching as it starts revealing the magnitude of how big the scheme, the violation of the innocent and how the rich manipulate each other becoming richer.
I guess what was fascinating how someone like him who never even finished college, lying his way and his creditentials ended up teaching in a school, then moving on to work on wall street, and up to very rich companies and hanging around presidents, princes, hollywood mogul circles.   I grew up wearing clothes from The Limited, Victoria's secret and frequenting in bed bath and beyond.  I will never step foot in those stores again knowing what I know now and the powers behind them.
Intersting fact on this show is that the author James Patterson is not only one of the producers and takes part in a small segement talking about it, but apparently was a neighbor of Epstein down in florida.
Check it out, Netflix lately has been doing a great job with some of their shows and documentaries.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14648

Netflix has wonderful series and documentaries. The acting and directing are spot on. I've been sucked into La Esclava Blanca ( The White Slave ).  
It's Spanish with English Subtitles and set in Columbia in the 1800's. It was also nominated for Novella of the Year, along with best actress, et al.

It revives the era of slavery and tells the story of Victoria, a woman whom everyone knows as a marchioness who came to America to marry a prosperous merchant of the region. However, the truth is that, years ago, in the same city she was rescued from death and raised in secret by slaves who became her family. Wrested from the hands of her loved ones, Victoria returns impersonating another person to seek justice and free her family.

Layla
Fire of Insight
7awards
Joined 3rd May 2018

I didn't notice that doc but will check it out..ty.  Sounds fascinating.
My personal problem with subtitles i have to find the right time for me to sit down and be still, to watch and read.  Cause i multitask as i watch pretty much anything but once something gets my attention then for sure i'll stop what i'm doing and binge watch.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Layla said:I didn't notice that doc but will check it out..ty.  Sounds fascinating.
My personal problem with subtitles i have to find the right time for me to sit down and be still, to watch and read.  Cause i multitask as i watch pretty much anything but once something gets my attention then for sure i'll stop what i'm doing and binge watch.

I'm the same way with Korean dramas, though I'm actually beginning to understand many of the words, having watched so many.  I do know quite a bit of Spanish, so that helps me watch it.  I think there are 61 episodes and I am only on 16, so I'm not sure how it will fare going forward. But, so far it's been interesting. I'll keep you posted.

Layla
Fire of Insight
7awards
Joined 3rd May 2018

Yes, let me know especially since its a long series.

If you are ever interested in investigative type of documentary that dives nose deep in Scents, perfume, fragrance in everything manufactured there's an excellent one on Netflix called "Stink"
Truly an eye opening documentary and the secrecy behind what the word 'fragrance' means in Ingredient lists and how its the only word that is completely and utterly protected by the government and companies and how that one word can contain thousands and thousands of ingredients hidden and the public can never ever find out.
Also the marketing manipulation into senses how when we enter certain stores there's a whif of scent that envolopes us, making sure the customers have the allure, the experience to stay longer, to shop and spend money while never suspecting what's going on.
Highly recommended Doc to watch.

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
Layla
Fire of Insight
7awards
Joined 3rd May 2018

Thank you Taurek for the recommendation.

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

13th is an amazing documentary which highlights the roots of the #Blacklivesmatter movement in addition to the evolution of the prison system ( or incarcerated slaves ).  If you truly want to educate yourself, you'll watch it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/13th_(film)

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
poet Anonymous

All on Netflix

Documentaries

- Attacking the Devil: Harold Evans and the Last Nazi War Crime
- The Keepers
- The Kalief Browder Story
- Prosecuting Evil
- God Knows Where I Am
- Evelyn
- A Secret Love
- Crip Camp
- Steal A Pencil For Me
- My Beautiful Broken Brain
- Tell Me Who I Am
- The Making of a Murderer

Films

- The Boy In The Striped Pajamas
- Playing For Time

Series

- Atypical
- Jessica Jones
- Luke Cage
- What If

Layla
Fire of Insight
7awards
Joined 3rd May 2018

Thank you Taryn, Taurek and Ahavati.
Tomorrow will be a day of watching some of these suggestions but for sure starting with the '13th' given what the country is going thru right now.  

(I'm looking at your list Taryn, as much as i'm a netflix addict, i have not seen majority of it, so thanks again)

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Warner Bros. makes ‘Just Mercy’ free to rent for ‘systemic racism’ education

The 2019 film “Just Mercy,” which chronicles courtroom struggles against racial injustice and mass incarceration, will be made free on digital platforms throughout June in the wake of George Floyd’s death, Warner Bros. said Tuesday.

https://nypost.com/2020/06/02/warner-bros-makes-just-mercy-free-to-rent-for-systemic-racism-education/?fbclid=IwAR3Z5_DOGPA-aYI8_npRb9Gon5b0xrX2_AXp7UOzPbWpDXtPyLAoi0UlD6A

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5573

You haz 5 days to binge "Mad Men" before it is removed from Netflix. 📺

Go to page:
Go to: