Go to page:

Recommend a Movie/Documentary/Show

poet Anonymous

Ahavati said:

I've seen that; it's phenomenal.

Yes absolutely...the conversation with Frieda, their daughter is very cool. She is pretty awesome...from what I watched of her.

Hotpuffinstuff
Strange Creature
Joined 19th July 2020
Forum Posts: 18

Tv Series

The Looming Tiwer

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5573

Antebellum on Hulu - similar to the style of M. Night Shyamalan, the best mystery / thriller type movie I've seen in quite a while.

Music And Lyrics is currently on the ( free ) Roku channel

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is currently on the ( free ) Peacock channel

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14587

Coming 2 America Amazon Prime: just don't.

anna_grin
ANNAN
Dangerous Mind
15awards
Joined 24th Mar 2013
Forum Posts: 3367

Ahavati said:Coming 2 America Amazon Prime: just don't.

I was wondering about that, love the original
what’s wrong with it?

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

anna_grin said:

I was wondering about that, love the original
what’s wrong with it?

I'm a 'Coming to America' snob; seriously, it's an all-time classic favorite. While I was hampered somewhat by the  trailer for the sequel, I didn't allow it to taint my anticipation. Sadly, my initial instinct proved correct.

What's wrong with it? I don't know where to begin, seriously. Let me just say this: it almost plays out like a Hallmark movie. Yes; I said that.

One thing I LOVED about the first was the soundtrack; it absolutely rocked and fit the movie perfectly. This doesn't do it. This doesn't even land in the same ballpark. But I am a score junkie so it may not affect you.

Second thing I LOVED about the first was the overly ornate presentation of the palace décor and the absolutely ridiculous lifestyle ( exaggerated, of course ). Everything from the dress to the jewelry to the backdrop of the throne was absolutely PERFECTLY ridiculous. I don't know WHO their costume designers were in the sequel, but, Oh Ugh! It comes across as a cheap knock-off. And when I say cheap, I mean cheap looking as well. 😒

The second was so overall disappointing to me, which I would've expected had it been a remake of the first starring different actors; however, these were the SAME actors ( except for Madge Sinclair - dang it ). I will say an appearance by Morgan Freeman was nice surprise. I don't know why I didn't know that before hand. But I didn't.

It direly lacked the parody of the first; I don't think I lol'd once. Pretty certain I didn't if I can't even remember.

I'll stop there because I don't want to ruin it for others, if they choose to waste their time.

anna_grin
ANNAN
Dangerous Mind
15awards
Joined 24th Mar 2013
Forum Posts: 3367

ah so it’s a poorly executed nostalgia trip

I’ll just rewatch the first one 😂

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

anna_grin said:ah so it’s a poorly executed nostalgia trip

I’ll just rewatch the first one 😂

Cheaply. Cheaply executed! I cannot use that word enough!

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015

Ahavati said:

I'm a 'Coming to America' snob; seriously, it's an all-time classic favorite. While I was hampered somewhat by the  trailer for the sequel, I didn't allow it to taint my anticipation. Sadly, my initial instinct proved correct.

What's wrong with it? I don't know where to begin, seriously. Let me just say this: it almost plays out like a Hallmark movie. Yes; I said that.

One thing I LOVED about the first was the soundtrack; it absolutely rocked and fit the movie perfectly. This doesn't do it. This doesn't even land in the same ballpark. But I am a score junkie so it may not affect you.

Second thing I LOVED about the first was the overly ornate presentation of the palace décor and the absolutely ridiculous lifestyle ( exaggerated, of course ). Everything from the dress to the jewelry to the backdrop of the throne was absolutely PERFECTLY ridiculous. I don't know WHO their costume designers were in the sequel, but, Oh Ugh! It comes across as a cheap knock-off. And when I say cheap, I mean cheap looking as well. 😒

The second was so overall disappointing to me, which I would've expected had it been a remake of the first starring different actors; however, these were the SAME actors ( except for Madge Sinclair - dang it ). I will say an appearance by Morgan Freeman was nice surprise. I don't know why I didn't know that before hand. But I didn't.

It direly lacked the parody of the first; I don't think I lol'd once. Pretty certain I didn't if I can't even remember.

I'll stop there because I don't want to ruin it for others, if they choose to waste their time.

Dang it. 😔 I had high hopes. Especially after the line about Wakanda.

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015

Behind Her Eyes - limited series on Netflix.

Okay, so it seems like it's going to be an eight hour version of "Fatal Attraction".

But then there is this whole back story involving a 4th character not involved in the affair that throws a monkeywrench into the whole darn thing. And the ending is not something you are given the opportunity to telegraph via any hints.

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015

Season 2 of Mr. Mercedes is now available for free on the Peacock channel, which continues the storyline of Brady Hartsfield that Stephen King's End of Watch.

Kou_Indigo
Karam L. Parveen-Ashton
Tyrant of Words
United States 69awards
Joined 15th Sep 2011
Forum Posts: 2794

Speaking of Stephen King... I rather enjoyed watching The Dark Tower movie. It was intended as a sequel to the book series, rather than as an adaptation of the books themselves... which I knew well ahead, before watching it. Since I was expecting it to be self-contained (which it was) and not nearly as vast and epic in scope as the books were, I was not nearly as disappointed by it as many fans were. It was great to me, as a fan of all things Stephen King, to see all the little Easter eggs and references to various things that were thrown about here and there for the astute viewer to notice. To me, I felt it was much like Marvels The Dark Tower comics series... not trying to be the books, but rather offering its' own unique glimpse into the Multiverse depicted in the books. There were so many worlds and hints of parallel worlds in those stories, that the movie's events could easily fit into any one of countless alternate futures of The Dark Tower's story. My favorite scenes were mostly those involving the Man in Black... who kind of stole the show in many parts of the movie. But then again, that character (by his many names... Walter O'Dim, Marten Broadcloak, Randal Flagg, etc.) always tends to steal the show whether it be in The Dark Tower or The Stand. He's just this perfect villain that seems to just kind of have fun with his villainy and that makes for some great, memorable stuff. The Dark Tower movie even had a bit of a reference to the Man in Black's Randal Flagg persona when there was (no spoilers) a certain scene involving a smiley face which was ghastly to be sure but also very fitting with that character's crazy, dark and sometimes twisted sense of humor. I did kind of wish they had made the movie a little longer, more Lord of the Rings length and thrown in some of my other favorite characters such as Mordred (the Gunslinger's son, who ended up becoming... something else... in the book series) or Susannah Dean. And at least a glimpse of Discordia would have been awesome! Plus, my personal pick for Roland would have been Karl Urban or someone similar... but Idris Elba still did alright in the role and made the most of all the scenes he was in. It was far, far from being a perfect movie, but I loved it for what it was and found it a fun adventure to watch. I still need to watch the remake of The Stand sometime, and probably the remake of IT also... I loved the old versions of those movies / miniseries and while I am not expecting The Stand to be better than the original (the original was still awesome even re-watching it all these years later) I am sure given that I liked The Dark Tower I will probably like that as well. I tend to be very easy to please when it comes to some movies. Also, I do believe that Stephen King's Storm of the Century does not nearly get enough love... that miniseries was also awesome and one of those rare, unusual cases where it was actually not based on a book but rather it was its' own thing. I also have this personal theory that Legion in that is another form of Randal Flagg... and the way he really looked like an old sorcerer at the end of Storm of the Century it also fits with the whole Man in Black from The Dark Tower being said to be this dark, powerful demonic sorcerer. Apparently too, a lot of people read that into Legion's character as well. Probably not too far from the mark, in that case! I am anxiously looking forward to the new Dune movie too. My favorite science fiction series of all time, easily! Loved the David Lynch version of Dune and the two made for TV miniseries... so I am certain the new one will also delight me. I've heard that Brian Herbert himself even gave it his approval, and being a fan of Brian Herbert's Dune novels (as well as his father's), that seems like praise from a good source to me. I always felt that Dune was basically THE most influential science fantasy book series ever... I mean pretty much without that, Flash Gordon, and various Japanese Samurai movies things like Star Wars never would have existed. So yeah, influential does not even come close when describing Dune's cultural impact on science fiction! Kind of like what J.R.R. Tolkien's novels did for the Fantasy genre. My goodness though... everything I've ever read about Jodorowsky's take on Dune from back in the 1970's (the Dune movie that never got made) sounds truly insane, as in mad, fever-dream surreal vision-like crazy drug trip type of stuff. And it would have been six hours long, too! Part of me actually wishes it had got made because it sounds like it would have been so utterly insane that it would have actually appealed to the more crazy side of me that likes weird, strange, surreal things. Fun fact, though, is that H.R. Giger's designs for it ended up actually being used in David Lynch's Dune... and a lot of Jodorowsky's ideas for Dune's story ended up being recycled by him and used in some of his comic books such as The Incal and much more obviously The Metabarons. I actually have all those comics... brilliant stuff. Highly surreal, heavily philosophical, and utterly, uncompromisingly insane things all throughout them. The artist who did The Incal... Moebius... he also had done concept art for Jodorowsky's Dune. And a LOT of those concepts ended up being used in The Incal series itself! I have always been a huge fan of H.R. Giger and Moebius though, so that is probably why I was always kind of drawn to the stuff they did for that aborted Dune movie. On a totally unrelated note though... I only thought of this because I was thinking of how Moebius is a French artist and how I like surreal movies and art and things... I cannot be the only one who thought that Battlefield Earth (which will go down in infamy as one of the absolute WORST science fiction movies of all time, which is sad because I really wanted to like it) basically ripped off a lot of its' plot and concepts from that old surreal French animated science fiction movie Fantastic Planet!  Basically... humans being kept as primitive "pets" or "slaves" by a large alien race (giants in Fantastic Planet), and one of the humans putting on a device belonging to the aliens that makes him suddenly super smart, and he goes on to basically lead the humans in a revolt against the aliens who in the end opt for peace because they don't want to be destroyed by the now seriously angry and tech-endowed humans. *Sigh* It would have only been more obvious had the aliens in Battlefield Earth been blue-skinned giants instead of extremely tall Klingon-like beings. Sometimes... you really can NOT beat the original when it comes to certain things! With movies, that seems to be the rule more than the exception. Lol. ;)

Northern_Soul
-Missy-
Tyrant of Words
England 32awards
Joined 10th Jan 2021
Forum Posts: 5736

I’ve just watched Unorthodox on Netflix. The story is about Esty, a married woman who flees the oppressive Jewish community she is part of in America to start a new life in Berlin in a music academy.

It’s only 4 episodes, and quite a few subtitles (quite a lot of Yiddish) but I was absolutely captivated by the whole story as it unfolded and feel like I learned a lot about Jewish customs and practices also that I’ve never really looked into before.

Binged all 4 episodes in an evening. Would recommend.

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015

Kou_Indigo said:Speaking of Stephen King... I rather enjoyed watching The Dark Tower movie. It was intended as a sequel to the book series, rather than as an adaptation of the books themselves... which I knew well ahead, before watching it. Since I was expecting it to be self-contained (which it was) and not nearly as vast and epic in scope as the books were, I was not nearly as disappointed by it as many fans were. It was great to me, as a fan of all things Stephen King, to see all the little Easter eggs and references to various things that were thrown about here and there for the astute viewer to notice. To me, I felt it was much like Marvels The Dark Tower comics series... not trying to be the books, but rather offering its' own unique glimpse into the Multiverse depicted in the books. There were so many worlds and hints of parallel worlds in those stories, that the movie's events could easily fit into any one of countless alternate futures of The Dark Tower's story. My favorite scenes were mostly those involving the Man in Black... who kind of stole the show in many parts of the movie. But then again, that character (by his many names... Walter O'Dim, Marten Broadcloak, Randal Flagg, etc.) always tends to steal the show whether it be in The Dark Tower or The Stand. He's just this perfect villain that seems to just kind of have fun with his villainy and that makes for some great, memorable stuff. The Dark Tower movie even had a bit of a reference to the Man in Black's Randal Flagg persona when there was (no spoilers) a certain scene involving a smiley face which was ghastly to be sure but also very fitting with that character's crazy, dark and sometimes twisted sense of humor. I did kind of wish they had made the movie a little longer, more Lord of the Rings length and thrown in some of my other favorite characters such as Mordred (the Gunslinger's son, who ended up becoming... something else... in the book series) or Susannah Dean. And at least a glimpse of Discordia would have been awesome! Plus, my personal pick for Roland would have been Karl Urban or someone similar... but Idris Elba still did alright in the role and made the most of all the scenes he was in. It was far, far from being a perfect movie, but I loved it for what it was and found it a fun adventure to watch. I still need to watch the remake of The Stand sometime, and probably the remake of IT also... I loved the old versions of those movies / miniseries and while I am not expecting The Stand to be better than the original (the original was still awesome even re-watching it all these years later) I am sure given that I liked The Dark Tower I will probably like that as well. I tend to be very easy to please when it comes to some movies. Also, I do believe that Stephen King's Storm of the Century does not nearly get enough love... that miniseries was also awesome and one of those rare, unusual cases where it was actually not based on a book but rather it was its' own thing. I also have this personal theory that Legion in that is another form of Randal Flagg... and the way he really looked like an old sorcerer at the end of Storm of the Century it also fits with the whole Man in Black from The Dark Tower being said to be this dark, powerful demonic sorcerer. Apparently too, a lot of people read that into Legion's character as well.

I had a brand new copy of The Dark Tower, but the disc was cracked when I opened up the cover. I took it as a sign that it wasn't for me. Guess I need to find another after that great review of yours and give it another chance.

The remake of IT was stellar; captured a lot of the essence of the original miniseries while carrying it forward into the late 1980's.

As for the remake of The Stand . . . total ugh. The only things it managed to get right were Flagg being less of a dork, an entertaining version of Tom  Cullen, and a spot on Harold Lauder. Trashcan Man, the best character in the entire story, was completely botched.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

I won't even watch the remake of The Stand ( and wish I hadn't Coming 2 America ).

Has anyone seen Broadchurch? It's an amazing thriller series on Netflix. It's scoring 93 - 98% on Rotten Tomatoes and I can see why. I said scoring because I am on season 3 so don't want to go too far into detail having not seen the rest of it.

Go to page:
Go to: