Go to page:

Recommend a Movie/Documentary/Show

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5572

Ahavati said:

I mean I watched it, all three seasons. What kept me engaged was the descent into politics he ( Sutherland ) demonstrated over time. For some strange reason, it reminded me of Dostoevsky's The Idiot, and one of its underlying premises: Can innocense survive in a cruel world?  

Also, in the middle of the book is a turning point, per se, where the protagonist, Myshkin, has a major choice to make regarding the future direction of his life. This passage is priceless in description and mesmerizing in ethos. Unfortunately, Myshkin chose wrongly. . . and for those who haven't read the book, I'll leave it at that.

I think Sutherland did the same thing in this last season. . .and hope there's a season four to confirm or disprove this assumption.

From the looks of it, it ended with Season 3.

If you are interested in advancing your Korean skills, there was a remake in 2019.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Designated_Survivor%3A_60_Days?wprov=sfla1

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
Bluevelvete
Tyrant of Words
United States 73awards
Joined 21st July 2020
Forum Posts: 2345

One of the BEST comedies ever....

Crazy People
Dudley Moore, Daryl Hannah, Paul Riser

https://youtu.be/_xbzhs09WIQ

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
Bluevelvete
Tyrant of Words
United States 73awards
Joined 21st July 2020
Forum Posts: 2345

The Kids In The Hall

https://youtu.be/IljUTWB2obM

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015

Interested in a long drawn out, not-so-scary but rather lovely ghost story?

Ooops, I meant to say, ghostly love story.

The Haunting of Bly Manor on Netflix

It's 9 episodes, loosely based on The Turn of the Screw by Henry James, and is surprisingly well crafted. Pay attention though, because there is a lot of flashing back and forth.

anna_grin
ANNAN
Dangerous Mind
15awards
Joined 24th Mar 2013
Forum Posts: 3367

The_Silly_Sibyl said:

Oh, boy, I haaaaaate that show. For many reasons, the two most prominent being one, the mysteries aren’t written so that anyone (including Sherlock) can solve them by logical deduction. Many of them aren’t even really mysteries. The show seems to dislike mystery stories and includes characters written to mock people who do like them. Like, you know, the audience providing the ratings.

Two, Sherlock is a prick. A narcissistic, pretentious, selfish, borderline sociopathic arsehole who thinks that he’s better than everyone else. The original Holmes was a genius, but he was also likeable and didn’t rub your face in how much smarter he is than you. Sherlock, on the other hand, is an example of a character written by people who are intimidated by genius and so associate it with arseholery.

stepping in to defend sherlock: the mysteries based on the books tend to be presented quite simply and to be honest, a lot of people could guess them pretty easily. i'll admit it got a little bit doctor who at times.  but i consider sherlock less of a real inconsiderate arsehole than someone who... just doesnt consider emotional consequences.  

its good entertainment

edited to add that the old book version sherlock was very much the same: arrogant, an addict, disdainful of the general public.  it's brought into the modern age but the character portrayal is spot on

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
Magdalena
Spartalena
Tyrant of Words
Wales 62awards
Joined 21st Apr 2012
Forum Posts: 2993

Just watched Night Hunter and what a pleasant surprise to find Henry Cavill was one of the main characters in it (he is in Enola Homes also, he plays Sherlock)  Move over Antonio Cupo , Henry is my new favourite pleasure

Night Hunter is a phycological thriller, that I didn't find at all predictable, and kept you guessing. Enjoyed from start to finish, didn't leave you hanging and a decent enough ending. With the added bonus of hotness

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015

On episode 3 of 10 of The Stand on CBS All Access.

Meh.

I can't fathom watching it twice, which is the benchmark of a great movie or series. But, I'll tough it out.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14145

JohnnyBlaze said:On episode 3 of 10 of The Stand on CBS All Access.

Meh.

I can't fathom watching it twice, which is the benchmark of a great movie or series. But, I'll tough it out.

Wait. What? Is that the movie?

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015

Ahavati said:

Wait. What? Is that the movie?

It's the 10 episode remake that's on weekly at the moment.

And it pretty much blows.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14145

JohnnyBlaze said:

It's the 10 episode remake that's on weekly at the moment.

And it pretty much blows.

Then I won't bother!

Go to page:
Go to: