<< post removed >>
badmalthus
Harry Rout
Dangerous Mind
19awards
Joined 3rd May 2014
Forum Posts: 433

The_Silly_Sibyl said:

That’s a great interview. I often think about what he says on distracting yourself.

Yeah...Woody always nails it.

Magdalena
Spartalena
Tyrant of Words
Wales 62awards
Joined 21st Apr 2012
Forum Posts: 2993

Watching the movie "Enola Holmes" at this very moment.

The_Silly_Sibyl
Jack Thomas
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 2awards
Joined 30th July 2015
Forum Posts: 687

Magdalena said:Watching the movie "Enola Holmes" at this very moment.

Is it any good? I'm a fan of detective stories but can't decide if this is one of those or just a Disney princess caper.

Magdalena
Spartalena
Tyrant of Words
Wales 62awards
Joined 21st Apr 2012

The_Silly_Sibyl said:

Is it any good? I'm a fan of detective stories but can't decide if this is one of those or just a Disney princess caper.

I enjoyed it. The message throughout the movie is my way of thinking, so I took to it from the start. I'm not a Disney princess caper movie person either and I didn't find this movie to be like that. Enola is an independent spunky young lady. She speaks to the audience throughout the movie, but it doesn't distract.
I'm not one for writing reviews, so if you do watch it, I would love to read your take on it.  

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5573

Speaking of, I just finished watching Sherlock on Netflix. The stories are a bit outlandish. Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman are entertaining as heck together, and that is the only reason I suggest it. There was no Enola Holmes in it, but there was a very super intelligent psychotic sister in the final season.

The_Silly_Sibyl
Jack Thomas
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 2awards
Joined 30th July 2015

Magdalena said:

I enjoyed it. The message throughout the movie is my way of thinking, so I took to it from the start. I'm not a Disney princess caper movie person either and I didn't find this movie to be like that. Enola is an independent spunky young lady. She speaks to the audience throughout the movie, but it doesn't distract.
I'm not one for writing reviews, so if you do watch it, I would love to read your take on it.  

Thanks for your take, I appreciate it. My problem with “spunky young lady” movies is that they tend to be written by men who think that a strong woman is a bitch who’ll punch you just for having XY chromosomes. It sounds like Enola Holmes isn’t that movie, tho.

Magdalena
Spartalena
Tyrant of Words
Wales 62awards
Joined 21st Apr 2012

The_Silly_Sibyl said:

Thanks for your take, I appreciate it. My problem with “spunky young lady” movies is that they tend to be written by men who think that a strong woman is a bitch who’ll punch you just for having XY chromosomes. It sounds like Enola Holmes isn’t that movie, tho.

She is trained in Jiu Jitsu but only punches someone who is asking for it

The_Silly_Sibyl
Jack Thomas
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 2awards
Joined 30th July 2015

JohnnyBlaze said:Speaking of, I just finished watching Sherlock on Netflix. The stories are a bit outlandish. Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman are entertaining as heck together, and that is the only reason I suggest it. There was no Enola Holmes in it, but there was a very super intelligent psychotic sister in the final season.

Oh, boy, I haaaaaate that show. For many reasons, the two most prominent being one, the mysteries aren’t written so that anyone (including Sherlock) can solve them by logical deduction. Many of them aren’t even really mysteries. The show seems to dislike mystery stories and includes characters written to mock people who do like them. Like, you know, the audience providing the ratings.

Two, Sherlock is a prick. A narcissistic, pretentious, selfish, borderline sociopathic arsehole who thinks that he’s better than everyone else. The original Holmes was a genius, but he was also likeable and didn’t rub your face in how much smarter he is than you. Sherlock, on the other hand, is an example of a character written by people who are intimidated by genius and so associate it with arseholery.

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015

The_Silly_Sibyl said:

Oh, boy, I haaaaaate that show. For many reasons, the two most prominent being one, the mysteries aren’t written so that anyone (including Sherlock) can solve them by logical deduction. Many of them aren’t even really mysteries. The show seems to dislike mystery stories and includes characters written to mock people who do like them. Like, you know, the audience providing the ratings.

Two, Sherlock is a prick. A narcissistic, pretentious, selfish, borderline sociopathic arsehole who thinks that he’s better than everyone else. The original Holmes was a genius, but he was also likeable and didn’t rub your face in how much smarter he is than you. Sherlock, on the other hand, is an example of a character written by people who are intimidated by genius and so associate it with arseholery.

Nailed it to a T.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14587

Has anyone else seen the series, "Designated Survivor" on Netflix?

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015

Ahavati said:Has anyone else seen the series, "Designated Survivor" on Netflix?

* shrugs *

How bad can it be with a Sutherland in the lead role?

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14587

JohnnyBlaze said:

* shrugs *

How bad can it be with a Sutherland in the lead role?

I mean I watched it, all three seasons. What kept me engaged was the descent into politics he ( Sutherland ) demonstrated over time. For some strange reason, it reminded me of Dostoevsky's The Idiot, and one of its underlying premises: Can innocense survive in a cruel world?  

Also, in the middle of the book is a turning point, per se, where the protagonist, Myshkin, has a major choice to make regarding the future direction of his life. This passage is priceless in description and mesmerizing in ethos. Unfortunately, Myshkin chose wrongly. . . and for those who haven't read the book, I'll leave it at that.

I think Sutherland did the same thing in this last season. . .and hope there's a season four to confirm or disprove this assumption.

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
Go to page:
Go to: