PencilScribbles
Scribbles
Fire of Insight
United States
Joined 29th Aug 2019
Forum Posts: 13

Trailer:

https://youtu.be/3s0LTDhqe5A

PencilScribbles said:"My Octopus Teacher" was really good!

I think it's on Netflix?

Hotpuffinstuff
Strange Creature
Joined 19th July 2020
Forum Posts: 18

The Movie Trumbo

AspergerPoet56
Tyrant of Words
Scotland 30awards
Joined 4th Dec 2018
Forum Posts: 1879

Rebel In The Rye is a movie worth watching

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14634

Enjoying the 4th season of The Crown immensely. Wow at some of the history of the royal family I didn't previously know. . .

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5573

Ahavati said:Enjoying the 4th season of The Crown immensely. Wow at some of the history of the royal family I didn't previously know. . .

Cool beans. I just started Season 1 yesterday. 📺

AspergerPoet56
Tyrant of Words
Scotland 30awards
Joined 4th Dec 2018

Tolkien another movie worthy of a look

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
AspergerPoet56
Tyrant of Words
Scotland 30awards
Joined 4th Dec 2018

The  movie Dark Waters

AspergerPoet56
Tyrant of Words
Scotland 30awards
Joined 4th Dec 2018

British Cmedy Film

Carry On Up The Kyber

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

I just finished watching Hillbilly Elegy and was blown away by the intensity of it. I mean I paused it a couple of times just to take a break. Then I read the reviews. The critics were negative because I guess the author J.D. Vance is a conservative and somehow that poisons the film, making it political in ways I don't understand.

Thankfully it's already one of the top films on Netflix because it deserves to be. Reminds me of the saying that a critic is a newspaperman whose wife ran off with an actor.

And let me tell you as someone with Carolina back-mountain hillbilly blood; that thar be the truth.

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/amy-adams-glenn-close-criticism-netflix-hillbilly-elegy?fbclid=IwAR39s12bheH3P7MqXkjJI0npr7QrDrwuXzeYUg_SivOzIZE3I7WxqhxPjBk

Edit: In case you're not aware, it's a true story. I loved the photos and videos of the family at the end.

AspergerPoet56
Tyrant of Words
Scotland 30awards
Joined 4th Dec 2018

Ahavati said:I just finished watching Hillbilly Elegy and was blown away by the intensity of it. I mean I paused it a couple of times just to take a break. Then I read the reviews. The critics were negative because I guess the author J.D. Vance is a conservative and somehow that poisons the film, making it political in ways I don't understand.

Thankfully it's already one of the top films on Netflix because it deserves to be. Reminds me of the saying that a critic is a newspaperman whose wife ran off with an actor.

And let me tell you as someone with Carolina back-mountain hillbilly blood; that thar be the truth.

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/amy-adams-glenn-close-criticism-netflix-hillbilly-elegy?fbclid=IwAR39s12bheH3P7MqXkjJI0npr7QrDrwuXzeYUg_SivOzIZE3I7WxqhxPjBk

Edit: In case you're not aware, it's a true story. I loved the photos and videos of the family at the end.

i like true stories so will be giving this a watch

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

AspergerPoet56 said:

i like true stories so will be giving this a watch

It's worth the watch. The book is better in that it did a much better job of reflecting the feeling of hopelessness Vance's people endured. They felt they had no chance to improve their situation, did not receive or understand the importance of a good education ( strange I just basically said this same thing on a poem comment because it was so applicable! ).

But rarely are movies as good  as the books because movies don't have the time that a book allots.

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5573

I somehow got unsubscribed to this thread ... wtf

Ahavati said:I just finished watching Hillbilly Elegy and was blown away by the intensity of it. I mean I paused it a couple of times just to take a break. Then I read the reviews. The critics were negative because I guess the author J.D. Vance is a conservative and somehow that poisons the film, making it political in ways I don't understand.

Ahavati said:

It's worth the watch. The book is better in that it did a much better job of reflecting the feeling of hopelessness Vance's people endured. They felt they had no chance to improve their situation, did not receive or understand the importance of a good education ( strange I just basically said this same thing on a poem comment because it was so applicable! ).

But rarely are movies as good  as the books because movies don't have the time that a book allots.

Finding fault with Netflix titles seems to be the latest trend. Where was the hoopla 4 years ago when the book was published? Right.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

JohnnyBlaze said:I somehow got unsubscribed to this thread ... wtf

Finding fault with Netflix titles seems to be the latest trend. Where was the hoopla 4 years ago when the book was published? Right.

EXACTLY!

And, if they'd done their homework, Vance actually backed Biden despite being conservative.

Here's an article featuring Ron Howard ( always Opie to me and one of my favorite directors ) weighing in.

Ron Howard Says 'Hillbilly Elegy' Critics "Looking at Political Thematics" That Aren't Central to Story ( there's a video of him and Vance discussing the movie ).

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ron-howard-says-hillbilly-elegy-critics-looking-at-political-thematics-that-arent-central-to-story

Go to page:
Go to: