Go to page:

Recommend a Movie/Documentary/Show

Layla
Fire of Insight
7awards
Joined 3rd May 2018
Forum Posts: 1216

Room 217 looks like its only available on AmazonPrime but unfortunately its not free, yet.  But will definitely keep in mind when i can find it for free to watch, I am a huge fan of Kubrick.

Rectify, i did watch one episode of it awhile back..but will stay with it when i give it another chance, will be watching it this week.

I always appreciate perspectives and reviews from people, i think most often the descriptions on shows/movies by the production companies aren't always accurate, sometimes they're overly hyped and at times not hyped enough.  
So thank you...and thank you all who have shared their input on this thread !!!

DanielChristensen said:Rectify is the finest show I have ever seen. It is nuanced with dimensions of subtle depth, through and through, every second of it. The culmination of a lifelong effort in building a Hollywood career for Ray McKinnon, it is his magnum opus. I was part of an online discussion group and one of the producers wrote me privately to say my reaction to the show was what they were hoping for. I was sent some lovely memorabilia: a coffee mug, a book of beautiful photography from set.

Room 217 is a documentary that takes you into the brilliantly exquisite filmmaking of my favorite director of all time, Stanley Kubrick. So often in life, we fail to see the forest for the trees. Like Rectify in this regard, every aspect of a Kubrick film is purposeful.

Cloud Atlas is a movie that has a soulful quality that is distinct, I think. As well as What Dreams May Come, which has perhaps gained in poignancy, when you consider the sad fate of the beautiful spirit, Robin Williams. I met him briefly when I was very young. They were filming Moscow on the Hudson in my home town. They had rented houses for production, on the waterfront, close to my home. I was curious about the big hullaballoo, but the alleyway between the houses was quite narrow and I could not pedal my tricycle. So I stood up in the seat, walked in a rather crablike posture a few steps, and then plopped down with a bang. Unbeknownst to me, they were filming at that moment. It was a low budget picture and film is expensive, so production crew came running and scooped me up. I was taken back to the set and allowed to watch. I was introduced to Robin. I remember his eyes and smile were so bright. He had a warmth I have seldom encountered since.

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5573

Banana Split - Netflix - a comedy about friendship.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14580

Anyone who hasn't seen this needs to ( Netfix ):

The Social Dilemma

Here is an article from Forbes about it:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/johnbbrandon/2020/09/17/why-the-social-dilemma-on-netflix-is-such-an-important-film/amp/

Layla
Fire of Insight
7awards
Joined 3rd May 2018

Ahavati, I got done watching it an hour ago and already twitted and posted on IG, highly recommending to watch it.
Wow! you'd think we all knew we were watched and monitored, we aint got a clue how far deep we're in the rabbit hole and no way to get out of since this is our reality pushing it forward.

To hear it from the mouths of those 27yr old yuppies from Stanford who had been bouncing from one social network to another with their blueprints and designs on how to elevate each network to the next generation of manipulation and addiction..(yes its an addiction to social medias with determental results) just blew me away!
Most specifically the spread of fake news and perception of design manufactured per person based on data collected.

If anyone wants a real horror, it's a must see!

Ahavati said:Anyone who hasn't seen this needs to ( Netfix ):

The Social Dilemma

Here is an article from Forbes about it:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/johnbbrandon/2020/09/17/why-the-social-dilemma-on-netflix-is-such-an-important-film/amp/

Layla
Fire of Insight
7awards
Joined 3rd May 2018

hmm ok the Cuties on Netflix.
I don't think I would've watched it if it hadn't been such a huge controversy.
I watched about 75% of it and i have to be honest it made me feel uncomfortable.  Not so much about the way they were dressed or danced.  I kinda get it, they tried to capture that old movie of Jennifer Beale's Flashdance of some new version of younger kids but what turned me off is the sexual references like there was a scene where the girls were gathered looking at the phone on some social media site and talking about a boy and how he'll come into the mouth and rape, and how big he is, and if she saw his brother's...
If it had been just about dance, sexy choregroaphy with skimpy clothes..I would've thought it's part of the dancing/competition business, which most often it is, unfortunately.
But the movie itself tried to make sex the predominant theme and that's where I honestly lost interest.
Now ofcourse the movie is gathering more attention than it would've..

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Layla said:Ahavati, I got done watching it an hour ago and already twitted and posted on IG, highly recommending to watch it.
Wow! you'd think we all knew we were watched and monitored, we aint got a clue how far deep we're in the rabbit hole and no way to get out of since this is our reality pushing it forward.

To hear it from the mouths of those 27yr old yuppies from Stanford who had been bouncing from one social network to another with their blueprints and designs on how to elevate each network to the next generation of manipulation and addiction..(yes its an addiction to social medias with determental results) just blew me away!
Most specifically the spread of fake news and perception of design manufactured per person based on data collected.

It is definitely mindblowing, Layla. The best thing we can do is educate, educate, educate the upcoming generation. Don't know how much good that will do, but my grandson has no desire to be on facebook, insta and twitter, and he's 10.5 years old.

It's changed my useage. I'm rarely on any network except for work. I've totally lost interest, but the political nastiness is what triggered my withdrawel.

badmalthus
Harry Rout
Dangerous Mind
19awards
Joined 3rd May 2014
Forum Posts: 433

Layla said:Ahavati, I got done watching it an hour ago and already twitted and posted on IG, highly recommending to watch it.

Heidegger's three key points in regards to "Technology"
(1) technology is “not an instrument”, it is a way of understanding the world; (2) technology is “not a human activity”, but develops beyond human control; and (3) technology is “the highest danger”, risking us to only see the world through technological thinking.

I suggest reading "Nihilism" by the young American philosopher, Nolen Gertz.

badmalthus
Harry Rout
Dangerous Mind
19awards
Joined 3rd May 2014
Forum Posts: 433

My Octopus Teacher...brilliant.

https://youtu.be/b-lbIJHlmbE

Layla
Fire of Insight
7awards
Joined 3rd May 2018

This past summer i was frequenting twitter more than any other social  media but this week after watching the social dilemma and realizing what truly is going on, i've been frequenting less and less.  I don't want to be part of it and i certainly don't want to contribute.  Enough is enough of the toxicity and madness.

Ahavati said:

It is definitely mindblowing, Layla. The best thing we can do is educate, educate, educate the upcoming generation. Don't know how much good that will do, but my grandson has no desire to be on facebook, insta and twitter, and he's 10.5 years old.

It's changed my useage. I'm rarely on any network except for work. I've totally lost interest, but the political nastiness is what triggered my withdrawel.

Layla
Fire of Insight
7awards
Joined 3rd May 2018

Excellent points Harry.
The documentary opens up with a quote by Sophocles "Nothing vast enters the life of mortals without a curse"
That pretty much sums it up.
There's a price to pay for everything.

badmalthus said:

(1) technology is “not an instrument”, it is a way of understanding the world; (2) technology is “not a human activity”, but develops beyond human control; and (3) technology is “the highest danger”, risking us to only see the world through technological thinking.

Josh
Joshua Bond
Tyrant of Words
Palestine 40awards
Joined 2nd Feb 2017
Forum Posts: 1739

badmalthus said:

Harry, I had no idea you were into Philosophy and/of Technology (subject of my Ph.D 25 years ago). Though a past comment of yours on Pirsig's Zen & Art of Motorcycle Maintenance should have given me a clue.
Am currently re-reading English translation of Heidegger's The Question Concerning Technology. Had forgotten how 'heavy-going' it was. Thanks for the summary  
Does the name Jacques Ellul mean anything to you (just curious)?
Cheers, Josh.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

badmalthus said:My Octopus Teacher...brilliant.

https://youtu.be/b-lbIJHlmbE

I recommended that a few pages back, Harry.  It brought me to tears, particularly the part where he discussed. . .well, I don't want to give it away. But, his feelings for her were palpable, let's just say.

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5573

I'm considering upgrading from my Vizio 32" to a Samsung UHD 55" for two reasons:

1) to help with reading things like subtitles, text messages being shown on phones in movies ( its so annoying to watch people text each other and not know wtf is being said ) and Netflix as opposed to standing right next to the TV while I'm surfing.

2) because watching everything again in UHD will be like watching for the very first time.

The price? $385 + tax.

p.s. I am currently watching LOST on Hulu.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

That seems like a great price on that size of tele.

So, because of my mood last week, I opted to binge on a Hallmark Series, because Hallmark is always feely good in a sappy way. They're typically unbelievable anyway, i.e. - perfect make-up in a coal town, etc.

I could not BELIEVE the main character DIED. I'm like, W.T.H? When does ANYONE die on a Hallmark movie?! And of course, because of my mood, I emptied almost an entire box of kleenex.

When Calls the Heart on Netflix if anyone is interested; however, I think I just spoiled it. . .

Go to page:
Go to: