Go to page:

Recommend a Movie/Documentary/Show

Layla
Fire of Insight
7awards
Joined 3rd May 2018
Forum Posts: 1216

When a movie fascinates me, especially when its low key, unknown and has mixed reviews (mostly because people expect nicely folded endings) I tend to watch certain scenes few times to grasp the hidden meanings, objects placed discreetly, a smirk, a smile, twitch of an eye.

That movie is called "Partisan" on amazon prime.

There's great deal of mystery in the movie, such as the location it takes place, post war? atmosphere, apocalyptic air to it, people are in poverty but we don't know why, homes seemed abandoned in economically depressed neighborhoods and again, it doesn't explain why or how and that's the beauty of this movie which leaves us wondering about many things.

It's basically about a man who builds a commune sheltering women with kids who come from abusive relationships or widows with children and he builds a family atmosphere for them..for himself.. but how does he support them financially?
He raises these kids to become assassins.

It's a beautiful film, the cinemetagropher is amazing in this movie capturing the color, the angles and the emotions on their faces.  I kept thinking that i had seen the lead actor Vincent Kessel in some other movie, turns out he played the dance choreographer in the movie 'Black Swan' with natalie portman.

It's almost poetic seeing the peeled paint on the walls, broken china, a statue in the middle of their courtyard, clothes hung to dry, chickens in coops, makeshift classroom.
A very different film...nothing extraordinary happens..except for couple of kids who realize this is not what they want.

dkzksaxxas_DanielX
DadaDoggyDannyKozakSaxfn
Tyrant of Words
United States 32awards
Joined 10th Dec 2011
Forum Posts: 209

REACHING FOR THE MOON ---amazon prime
Based on a period ('50-'67) in poet Elizabeth Bishop's life.
Nicely done.

(But it ain't no RAMBO )

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14145

Given my love of cultural entertainment ( Korean dramas, Spanish epics, British Series, and so forth. . . . ), I decided to watch the first season of Indian Matchmaking. It does contain some subtitles but I enjoyed it overall.

I also watched an oldie, "Stand and Deliver". It's a partly true story of an inner-city, Los Angeles high school teacher Jaime Escalante (Edward James Olmos) is being hassled by tough students like Angel Guzman (Lou Diamond Phillips). But Jaime is also pressured by his bosses, who want him to control his raucous classroom. Caught in the middle, he opts to immerse his students in higher math. After intensive study, his students ace California's calculus test, only to learn that their scores are being questioned. They'll have to retake the exam in order to quiet the critics, who believe the students cheated because of their ethnic background and academic records.

Good movie of overcoming ethnic profiling.

dkzksaxxas_DanielX
DadaDoggyDannyKozakSaxfn
Tyrant of Words
United States 32awards
Joined 10th Dec 2011
Forum Posts: 209

Finally watched Dead Poets Society--------
highly recomended..................

Josh
Joshua Bond
Tyrant of Words
Palestine 40awards
Joined 2nd Feb 2017
Forum Posts: 1664

If you're wondering how war, banking, and scarcity are linked -- and you've got 3.5 hours to spare -- this documentary (The Money Masters, made in the 1990s) mainly focusing on America's history is a fascinating watch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mB-pdPaQNKA&feature=youtu.be&app=desktop

If you've only got 7 minutes, try this for starters:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HdmA3vPbSU

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
ENOONMAI
Lost Thinker
United States
Joined 23rd Oct 2014
Forum Posts: 17

Hannibal on Netflix is absolutely phenomenal.  First saw it on Amazon and bought it on blue ray the next day. It's that good. Great psychological themes and the cinematography gets more and more alluring as the series goes on. And Mads Mikkelsen's portrayal of Hannibal Lecter makes Anthony Hopkins look like a blundering novice.  Most highly recommend  

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
Go to page:
Go to: