Go to page:

Recommend a Movie/Documentary/Show

Calamityofgin
Fire of Insight
United States 5awards
Joined 10th May 2020
Forum Posts: 149

JohnnyBlaze said:I'm almost finished with the 3rd season of "Ozark" on Netflix. It's about a family that is forced to launder money for a Mexican drug cartel. Despite every brilliant idea that spares their lives, something is always going wrong leading to someone ending up as fishbait. I'm rooting for these people to escape, but they continue digging a deeper hole to China with one bad decision after another - and I'm giving up caring. If you like tense dramas with dark comedy humor, then this is for you

I grew up 40 minutes from where this show was set. Lake of the Ozarks... it’s spot on... most of it was filmed in Georgia however aside from a few scenes in the area. Great series though

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14145

So I'm in the middle of season two of "Dear White People" ( Netflix-original ). Or was until a severe storm knocked my power out, estimated repair time 7:30 pm, followed by 10:30 pm, followed by 12:30 am, Tues June 23. . . so maybe never.  At any rate, the series ( 95% Rotten Tomatoes ) is based on the acclaimed film of the same name.

It follows a group of students of color at Winchester University, a predominantly white Ivy League college. The students are faced with a landscape of cultural bias, social injustice, misguided activism and slippery politics. Through an absurdist lens, the series uses irony, self-deprecation, brutal honesty and humor to highlight issues that still plague today's"post-racial" society.

I recommend.

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5572

"Bates Motel" on Netflix.

A reinvention of Hitchcock's vision based on the book "Psycho" by Robert Bloch.

Vera Farmiga, Freddie Highmoore, Nestor Carbonell ..... an excellent cast.

You won't be disappointed.

Halsey90
Strange Creature
Joined 16th June 2020
Forum Posts: 6

"Peaky blinders" is the best!

David_Macleod
Tyrant of Words
United Kingdom 39awards
Joined 5th Nov 2014
Forum Posts: 2983

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015

"Revenge" on Hulu - it's like a fast moving soap opera without the soap opera filler.

Nothing too intense, but good stuff if you are in between better recommendations. I've watched it at least twice.

Same goes for "Haven" on Netflix, which is extremely loosely based on Stephen King's "The Colorado Kid".  Best described as light-hearted sci-fi.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14145

MUDBOUND on Netflix is great. It highlights what it was like for southern blacks to fight in WWII, and be accepted in Germany as white citizens ( who could even love/marry a white woman ).  It illustrates the stark contrast of returning to such restrictions as having to use the backdoor or not being allowed to eat in certain restaurants in the Deep South.

Once you've tasted freedom you can't be recaged, and you'll fight with your life to be free again.

Kinkpoet
Tyrant of Words
United States 11awards
Joined 9th May 2019
Forum Posts: 1029

Treme
older series about pot-Katrina NOLA.
Great soundtrack and good story.

Kinkpoet
Tyrant of Words
United States 11awards
Joined 9th May 2019
Forum Posts: 1029

Coupling
Old british sitcom
you’ll laugh so hard you’ll get a hernia

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
drone
Tyrant of Words
Greece 10awards
Joined 3rd Sep 2011
Forum Posts: 2251

Rogue
crocodile movie
is the best croc movie i have seen
because the hero
has no machine gun
hand gun
or even a knife

drone
Tyrant of Words
Greece 10awards
Joined 3rd Sep 2011

District 9

drone
Tyrant of Words
Greece 10awards
Joined 3rd Sep 2011

Infini
is a good movie
it has a moral
in the story
one of the best
alien movies
i have seen
but not good
for the kids to watch

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015

"Otherworld" on Netflix - another refreshingly unique science fiction movie - this one involving human brains, manufactured memories, and virtual experiences.  

drone
Tyrant of Words
Greece 10awards
Joined 3rd Sep 2011

The Descent
is the only horror movie
i have seen
where all the actors
are woman

Go to page:
Go to: