Go to page:

Recommend a Movie/Documentary/Show

Mssukser
A Struggling Poet
Thought Provoker
India 6awards
Joined 23rd May 2020
Forum Posts: 14

I watched the movie "Lion" . Its a story about a boy getting lost in India and ending up as an adopted boy to an Australian couple.

Worth recommending so check it out.

The emotions binds you till the end.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14145

Netflix ( as Prime ), in solidarity with #BlackLivesMatter, is now offering a designated category of films and documentaries pertaining to the struggle of black people throughout history.

I rewatched Selma last night, and that first bridge scene tears me up every single time.

That really happened in America. Just like Emmett Till. Just like the Central Park Five. Just like George Floyd. And so on . . .and so on. . .

Calamityofgin
Fire of Insight
United States 5awards
Joined 10th May 2020
Forum Posts: 149

The movie
Shirley
A Martin Scorsese film

About the woman who wrote the short story The Lottery, if you haven’t read that. You should, a standard and it’s brilliant

The movie has an astounding cast the two female roles in particular.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Calamityofgin said:The movie
Shirley
A Martin Scorsese film

About the woman who wrote the short story The Lottery, if you haven’t read that. You should, a standard and it’s brilliant

The movie has an astounding cast the two female roles in particular.

Shirley Jackson! Love the  story!

Calamityofgin
Fire of Insight
United States 5awards
Joined 10th May 2020

And Rectify, Netflix. Daniel recommended this series to me.

A man on death rows sentence is vacated. It chronicles his heartbreaking reentry into society. Deeply philosophical and the best cast. Brilliant

Calamityofgin
Fire of Insight
United States 5awards
Joined 10th May 2020

Ahavati said:

Shirley Jackson! Love the  story!

Bingo 😉

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Calamityofgin said:

Bingo 😉

Can you believe I still have college Eng 101 books?!

Calamityofgin
Fire of Insight
United States 5awards
Joined 10th May 2020

Ahavati said:

Can you believe I still have college Eng 101 books?!

Lol. But yes, it somehow doesn’t surprise me doll

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Layla said:

I checked White Slave and I was very surprised to see that there were 62 epsidoes in the first season.
Watching the 1st episode wasn't successfulI, multi tasking and reading subtitles didn't work out so well but I will when I can devote some time to it.
Perhaps I will give a try watching Hannibal, I did enjoy Game of thrones awhile back and silence of the lambs was a great pyschological movie for its time.

So. . .I'm STILL trucking through this production ( which is only one season of 62 episodes, btw ), and am now nearing the 50th episode. It's too late to stop now; I must persevere to the end. Yet, I must also give credit where credit is due: I would've never have imagined a story could be drug out so long by various twists of the plot; some working while others seem a bit egregious ( with an oxymoronic charm about them ).   I am ready for the end, and yet have no idea how it will end. This series is about as unpredictable as one I've ever seen, and, in all honesty, that is exactly what I like about it!

Layla
Fire of Insight
7awards
Joined 3rd May 2018
Forum Posts: 1216

Some really fantastic recommendations, thank y'all.
I haven't had time to watch much this week, my schedule has been all over the place but last night having come home late I did watch 2 movies that were interesting, at least thought provoking.

1. "The Show" on Netflix with Jeff Duhamel.  What fascinated me about the premise that the world as whole might just be heading to that direction obsessed with shock value (the world is our stage) and at the same time detached from empathy in real sense, at real time.    How much do the poor have to give up to entertain the audience while ensuring their offspring will survive?!  What is the value of life?!  

2. " Danika" on Prime with Marisa Tomei.  It's a movie that starts as mystery, the story line jumps quite a bit that confuses reality with dream like state tackling mental illness, depression..the ending left me very sad but at the same time it wrapped up bringing everything together to make sense.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

La Esclava Blanca . . .  I finally finished this afternoon, and wow. Those final 10 episodes twisted and turned more than a country road. I honestly had no idea how this was all going to end.  Believe me, I am one that can predict exactly what is going to happen ( maybe not how, but what, nonetheless ).  I don't want to give too much away ( I actually don't want to give anything away ). Much like the Korean dramas ( which we all know how much I love ), it's a Colombian telenovela, so the characters are over-the-top at times, but it's not even noticeable in this ( unlike Korean ).  

It really is a masterful production with amazing camera angles and a great use of mirrors. The scenery is breathtaking, and it really is beautifully filmed.  I can't remember feeling this accomplished in having finished something since I read War & Peace, or . . .And Lady's of the Club, two super novels every person should read before they die. Well, the former particularly, perhaps the latter more for ladies ( as I know no men who have actually read it ).  

At any rate, this series is worth investing the time, and addressed the equality of races.  I can't say anymore because everything else I'm saying I'm erasing because it gives something away. And, as previously said, I don't want to give anything away because it's pretty much a damn plot-twist to something else. lol

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

So I watched 'Marshall' tonight, about Thurgood Marshall Jr., a very successful civil right's lawyer for the NAACP,  who would go on to became the first African-American Associate Justice of the Supreme Court of the United States. His partner ( in this case ), was a Jewish Attorney who suffered as much discrimination as Thurgood.  

[ . . .]
“I love the movie for that reason,” he continued. “It doesn’t allow you as an audience member, no matter what color you are, to hide from the issues because ultimately we see ourselves in the characters in the movies we go see.”

Mr. Hudlin said his film was about allies. “When I think specifically about the black-Jewish alliance and how many things it’s done for this country — in government, in the arts — that partnership is a little frayed,” he explained. “This movie celebrates the achievements of that partnership.”

“Marshall” has elements of yet another genre. It is a sort of origin story, of a legal superhero. Justice Elena Kagan, who served as a law clerk to Justice Marshall, has called him “the greatest lawyer of the 20th century.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2017/09/08/movies/thurgood-marshall-movie-chadwick-boseman.amp.html

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

So I just finished watching 'Becoming', a documentary on Michelle Obama's book tour.  I haven't read the book ( yet ), but highly recommend watching this ( Netflix ).  It's a very enlightening glimpse into not just Michelle's life, but her tenure as First Lady, and the toll of expectation they felt while serving as the first Black family in the White House.

I really teared up at the end because she sounded so much like me, and my dream for America. . .under the hope that people truly want better.  And like her, I believe it can happen.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

So tonight was 'Da 5 Bloods', a Netflix original directed by Spike Lee, and one of this weeks top performing films.   I felt very attached to this film because it's mainly set in Vietnam, and I got to see some of the terrain my father fought in.

It's one of the best-reviewed films of the year and Netflix’s first potential awards contender, is listed at not only #1 among the streamer’s movies, but also tops their overall content list. It reached that its second day out, and remained so for three days running. The durability will count: Netflix represents mass-audience tastes, similar to wide-release movies.

Boasting an all-star cast including Delroy Lindo, Clarke Peters and Chadwick Boseman, Da 5 Bloods follows a group of Vietnam vets who return to the country in which they fought “the American war”. Officially, they are there to locate and recover the remains of their fallen squad leader “Stormin’ Norman” (Boseman), a warrior, teacher and mentor (“our Malcolm and our Martin”). But they’re also on the trail of gold – a stash of bullion that they found and buried all those years ago.

Developed by Lee and his regular collaborator Kevin Willmott from an original script by Danny Bilson and Paul De Meo, Da 5 Bloods opens in typically forthright fashion with historical footage of Muhammad Ali and Malcolm X, the latter declaring that “when you take 20 million black people and make them fight all your wars and pick all your cotton… sooner or later their allegiance towards you is going to wear thin”.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/entertainment/movies/da-5-bloods-review-e2-80-93-spike-lee-goes-all-out-in-vietnam/ar-BB15soaI

I Highly recommend. #Blacklivesmatter plays a poignant role too.

Go to page:
Go to: