Go to page:

Recommend a Movie/Documentary/Show

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14145

Ahavati said:Netflix has wonderful series and documentaries. The acting and directing are spot on. I've been sucked into La Esclava Blanca ( The White Slave ).  
It's Spanish with English Subtitles and set in Columbia in the 1800's. It was also nominated for Novella of the Year, along with best actress, et al.

It revives the era of slavery and tells the story of Victoria, a woman whom everyone knows as a marchioness who came to America to marry a prosperous merchant of the region. However, the truth is that, years ago, in the same city she was rescued from death and raised in secret by slaves who became her family. Wrested from the hands of her loved ones, Victoria returns impersonating another person to seek justice and free her family.

I am halfway through this endless series.  There are times I want to just stop, but feel like I have been pulled into a bad movie where I can't help but want to see just how bad it could get.  However, and I do say however, there is a very important vein running through this series that touches on the inequality and treatment of black people forced into slavery by a white Spanish plantation owner ( among others ).  It's that very vein  that keeps me attached to the storyline.

I don't think I stumbled across this series by accident. It does help if you know enough Spanish to not have to stay glued to the subtitles; however, even if you don't, this will give you a glimpse of how Columbia mirrored other countries in its treatment of slaves during a period of supposed abolition via the Law of the Womb, i.e. - any child born into slavery will be free when they turn 18.

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5572

Ahavati said:

I have just finished this series, and I think what struck me the most was the ending, when they showed all five wrongly-convicted men, and listed their current occupations.  The pride in their eyes harbored nothing but Love.  I saw no bitterness, resentment, or malice in any form. . . and that in and of itself is a miracle and testament to forgiveness.

Ohhh, good! I will feel better watching it knowing there is a happy(er) ending.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

JohnnyBlaze said:

Ohhh, good! I will feel better watching it knowing there is a happy(er) ending.

Oh crap? Spoiler? Didn't think about that.  Well it is a true story. . .

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015

Ahavati said:

Oh crap? Spoiler? Didn't think about that.  Well it is a true story. . .

Not a spoiler at all! It's HISTORY!

Layla
Fire of Insight
7awards
Joined 3rd May 2018
Forum Posts: 1216

To be honest, I do have my friend's password for Hulu but unfortunately my bandwidth is not strong enough to carry it so anything i try to watch will not load.  But for some reason I don't have that problem with Netflix or Prime.

Anonymous said:<< post removed >>

Layla
Fire of Insight
7awards
Joined 3rd May 2018

I believe there was a mention of the boys in the doc "13th"  and i will note to watch it sometime this week.

Ahavati said:

I have just finished this series, and I think what struck me the most was the ending, when they showed all five wrongly-convicted men, and listed their current occupations.  The pride in their eyes harbored nothing but Love.  I saw no bitterness, resentment, or malice in any form. . . and that in and of itself is a miracle and testament to forgiveness.

Layla
Fire of Insight
7awards
Joined 3rd May 2018

I got done watching 'The Lincoln Lawyer" on Netflix.  What a great movie!
He completely owns the part, he makes it his own and he sure knows how to draw in the audience when lawyers have such a bad reputation to us all but sometimes they're conflicted themselves on how to walk on that fine line of what's right and what's wrong.  Good stuff!!

Layla
Fire of Insight
7awards
Joined 3rd May 2018

I'm definitely checking the 'White slave' tomorrow and the show 'hannibal'? is it gruesome like the movie was?  I'll have to watch an episode or two to get a feel.

Something funny happened today at work.. i was helping a customer, who was there with her husband and another customer came by..suddenly i heard the music from 'friday 13th' loudly played...OMG my heart was about to leap from  my chest and it was her ringtone on her phone.  We all started laughing and talking about the movie and jamie lee curtis and how the first 2 movies were the best and they should've stopped at it instead of making more sequels.
Anyhow, she said that ringtone was assigned for her mother.  
I thought it was weird and didn't dare to ask why  lol

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015

Layla said:I'm definitely checking the 'White slave' tomorrow and the show 'hannibal'? is it gruesome like the movie was?  I'll have to watch an episode or two to get a feel.

Well, there's a lot of strange things done to human bodies that eventually end up dissected on autopsy tables. So, yes in that respect. Despite being populated with psychopaths and serial killers, it is hardly gruesome violent in comparison to Game of Thrones.

Layla
Fire of Insight
7awards
Joined 3rd May 2018

JohnnyBlaze said:

Well, there's a lot of strange things done to human bodies that eventually end up dissected on autopsy tables. So, yes in that respect. Despite being populated with psychopaths and serial killers, it is hardly gruesome violent in comparison to Game of Thrones.

I checked White Slave and I was very surprised to see that there were 62 epsidoes in the first season.
Watching the 1st episode wasn't successfulI, multi tasking and reading subtitles didn't work out so well but I will when I can devote some time to it.
Perhaps I will give a try watching Hannibal, I did enjoy Game of thrones awhile back and silence of the lambs was a great pyschological movie for its time.

Layla
Fire of Insight
7awards
Joined 3rd May 2018

Speaking of psychological movies.  A movie that's currently on Netflix is a good one called, "Session 9", from the same director of the movie "The Machinist" with Christian Bale.
"Session 9" was actually shot on location at an abandoned mental hospital in Massachusetts and the story moves back and forth between the current and the past and there are parallel storylines with twists which I don't want to give it away.  It hooked me immediately and I didn't know exactly what was going on or how it will wrap up and when it did, i wanted to go back and rewatch the clues.  
It's on Netflix and Amazon does have it but you have to pay.  

If i compare it to the Machinist, i'd say machinist was tighter the way the store coiled with twists and there was that ambiguity of what was real and what was illusion in his mind and on our mind as the audience.  Here it has the same elements and the story delivers but it doesn't have Christian Bale...lol

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015

I'm almost finished with the 3rd season of "Ozark" on Netflix. It's about a family that is forced to launder money for a Mexican drug cartel. Despite every brilliant idea that spares their lives, something is always going wrong leading to someone ending up as fishbait. I'm rooting for these people to escape, but they continue digging a deeper hole to China with one bad decision after another - and I'm giving up caring. If you like tense dramas with dark comedy humor, then this is for you

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Amazon Prime has an entire collection of documentaries based on Black History, Hardship, and Hope for free.  I am watching 'The Untold Story of Emmett Louis Till', the young black teen who was brutally murdered by a mob for supposedly whistling at a white woman.  It was one of the most horrific injustices recorded.

The story is horrendous and was one I am very familiar with; however, this one is based on never before seen testimony.  

Just to name a few others:

You Belong to Me
Freedom ( the birth of Amazing Grace )
Harriet Tubman
Marshall
Birth of a Movement
SALUTE
Brian Banks
Selma

Submerge yourself in their suffering and you may be able to understand a minute fraction of its effect for 450 years.

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Ahavati said:Amazon Prime has an entire collection of documentaries based on Black History, Hardship, and Hope for free.  I am watching 'The Untold Story of Emmett Louis Till', the young black teen who was brutally murdered by a mob for supposedly whistling at a white woman.  It was one of the most horrific injustices recorded.

The story is horrendous and was one I am very familiar with; however, this one is based on never before seen testimony.  

Just to name a few others:

You Belong to Me
Freedom ( the birth of Amazing Grace )
Harriet Tubman
Marshall
Birth of a Movement
SALUTE
Brian Banks
Selma

Submerge yourself in their suffering and you may be able to understand a minute fraction of its effect for 450 years.

So I watched both Freedom and 'The Untold Story of Emmett Louis Till', and was THRILLED to find out the FBI had reopened the case in 2017.  Talk about timing!  The below article anticipates the results of that investigation to be announced any day now.

I can only hope after so many years the family finally finds peace in the finality of justice regarding his senseless death.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/apr/25/emmett-till-long-wait-for-justice

Go to page:
Go to: