Ahavati
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
88awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 7094

DNA Linked to Covid-19 Was Inherited From Neanderthals, Study Finds

The stretch of six genes seems to increase the risk of severe illness from the coronavirus.

A stretch of DNA linked to Covid-19 was passed down from Neanderthals 60,000 years ago, according to a new study.

Scientists don’t yet know why this particular segment increases the risk of severe illness from the coronavirus. But the new findings, which were posted online on Friday and have not yet been published in a scientific journal, show how some clues to modern health stem from ancient history.

“This interbreeding effect that happened 60,000 years ago is still having an impact today,” said Joshua Akey, a geneticist at Princeton University who was not involved in the new study.

[ . . . ]

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2020/07/04/health/coronavirus-neanderthals.amp.html

Layla
Layla
Fire of Insight
7awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 3rd May 2018
Forum Posts: 1165

^, that's interesting.  
I was just watching local news and they were discussing how they've tested the type of Covid in 3 cities in US.  
NY, Chicago and Seattle and they found that each city had a different type of virus.  The strain from NY spread faster, while Chicago strain was traced back to its original host from China and Seattle strain was something new.  Perhaps that exaplains in more logical way why or how its effecting people in different ways or sometimes none.

Blackwolf
Blackwolf
I.M.Blackwolf
Dangerous Mind
11awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 31st Mar 2018
Forum Posts: 2203

I find it hilarious , I referred to Neanderthal on the last thread ,
I believe , and here we are again , with their DNA in the picture...;)

Too funny !

Ahavati
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
Joined 11th Apr 2015

This is for you, Layla. It reinforces my earlier post about mask wearing by my nurse-friends and surgical assistant. I must've posted that in the wrong thread.

RETIRED SURGEON Sam Laucks, has this to say about wearing masks:

“OK, here’s my rant about masks:

I have spent the past 39 years working in the field of surgery. For a significant part of that time, I have worn a mask. I have worked with hundreds (probably thousands) of colleagues during those years, who have also worn masks. Not a single one us of became ill, passed out or died from lack of oxygen. Not a single one of us became ill, passed out or died from breathing too much carbon dioxide. Not a single one us of became ill, passed out or died from rebreathing a little of our own exhaled air. Let’s begin here by putting those scare tactics to rest! (It is true that some people, with advanced lung diseases, may be so fragile that a mask could make their already-tenuous breathing more difficult. If your lungs are that bad, you probably shouldn’t be going out in public at the present time anyway; the consequences if you are exposed to Covid-19 would likely be devastating.)

“But”, you ask, “can’t viruses go right through the mask, because they are so small?” (“Masks keep viruses out just as well as a chain link fence keeps mosquitoes out,” some tell us.) It is true that individual virus particles can pass through the pores of a mask; however, viruses don’t move on their own. They do not fly across the room like a mosquito, wiggle through your mask like a worm, or fly up your nose like a gnat. The virus is essentially nothing more than a tiny blob of genetic material. Covid-19 travels in a CARRIER – the carrier is a fluid droplet- fluid droplets that you expel when you cough, sneeze, sing, laugh, talk or simply exhale. Most of your fluid droplets will be stopped from entering the air in the room if you are wearing a mask. Wearing a mask is a very efficient way to protect others if you are carrying the virus (even if you don’t know that you are infected). In addition, if someone else’s fluid droplets happen to land on your mask, many of them will not pass through. This gives the wearer some additional protection, too. But, the main reason to wear a mask is to PROTECT OTHERS. Even if you don’t care about yourself, wear your mask to protect your neighbors, co-workers and friends!

A mask is certainly not 100% protective. However, it appears that the severity of Covid-19 infection is at least partially “dose-dependent.” In other words, the more virus particles that enter your body, the sicker you are likely to become. Why not decrease that volume if you can? “What have you got to lose?!”

“But doesn’t a requirement or a request to wear a mask violate my constitutional rights?” You’re also not allowed to go into the grocery store if you are not wearing pants. You can’t yell “fire” in the Produce Department. You’re not allowed to urinate on the floor in the Frozen Food Section. Do you object to those restrictions? Rules, established for the common good, are component of a civilized society.
“But aren’t masks uncomfortable?” Some would say that underwear or shoes can be uncomfortable, but we still wear them. (Actually, being on a ventilator is pretty darned uncomfortable, too!) Are masks really so bad that you can’t tolerate them, even if they will help keep others healthy?
“But won’t people think I’m a snowflake or a wimp if I wear a mask?” I hope you have enough self-confidence to overcome that.
“But won’t I look stupid if I wear a mask?” I’ve decided not to dignify that question with an answer!! 📷:)
“But I never get sick; I’m not worried.” Well, then, wear a mask for the sake of the rest of us who are not so perfect!
There is good evidence that masks make a real difference in diminishing the transmission of Covid-19. Please, for the sake of others (and for the sake of yourself), wear your mask when in public. It won’t kill you!

P.S. - And, by the way, please be sure that BOTH your nose and mouth are covered!
Recommendations around mask usage are confusing. The science isn't. Evidence shows that masks are extremely effective to slow the coronavirus and may be the best tool available right now to fight it.”

https://www.reddit.com/r/Masks4All/comments/hf8ttu/retired_surgeon_sam_laucks_has_this_to_say_about/

Ahavati
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Because anyone who doesn't agree with him is toast. I've seen some big scapegoats in my day, but none quite this big:

Coronavirus: Trump moves to pull US out of World Health Organization

President Donald Trump has formally moved to withdraw the US from the World Health Organization (WHO).

The president had made his intentions clear in late May, accusing the WHO of being under China's control in the wake of the coronavirus pandemic.

Despite calls from the EU and others, he said he would pull out of the UN agency and redirect funds elsewhere.

He has now notified the UN and Congress of his intentions, although the process could take at least a year.

Stéphane Dujarric, spokesman for the UN secretary-general, confirmed the US had notified it of its withdrawal, effective as of 6 July 2021.

Senator Robert Menendez, the leading Democrat on the Foreign Relations Committee, also wrote on Twitter : "Congress received notification that POTUS officially withdrew the US from the WHO in the midst of a pandemic.

"It leaves Americans sick and America alone."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-us-canada-53327906

Valeriyabeyond
Valeriyabeyond
Valeriya
Fire of Insight
  profile   poems   message
Joined 3rd May 2020
Forum Posts: 922

ITECH 361 Issues Voluntary Nationwide Recall of All Clean Hand Sanitizer and Moisturizer and Disinfectant Due to The Potential Presence of Undeclared Methanol (Wood Alcohol)

Company Announcement Date: July 06, 2020
FDA Publish Date: July 06, 2020
Product Type: Drugs
Reason for Announcement: Potential presence of methanol (wood alcohol).
Company Name: ITECH 361
Brand Name: All Clean
Product Description: Hand sanitizer
Company Announcement

ITECH 361 is voluntarily recalling 18,940 bottles of All Clean Hand Sanitizer, Moisturizer and Disinfectant sold in one liter bottles to the consumer level

The products are being recalled due to the potential presence of methanol (wood alcohol).
Risk Statement: Substantial methanol exposure can result in nausea, vomiting, headache, blurred vision, permanent blindness, seizures, coma, permanent damage to the nervous system or death. Although all persons using these products on their hands are at risk, young children who accidently ingest these products and adolescents and adults who drink these products as an alcohol (ethanol) substitute, are most at risk for methanol poisoning To date ITECH 361 has not received reports of adverse events related to this recall.

The product is used as a hand sanitizer and moisturizer and is packaged in one (1) liter plastic bottles with UPC Code 628055370130. All Clean Hand Sanitizer and Moisturizer was distributed Nationwide to wholesale distributors and retailers.

JohnnyBlaze
JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States
20awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 3134

While Trump threatens to reopen schools this fall .....

62,000 new coronavirus cases in a day

https://youtu.be/pbQuNaaa2-c

2 min 33 sec

Ahavati
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
Joined 11th Apr 2015

I think we all have a line in the spiritual sand that we will not cross. For me it is using school openings as a political tool rather than a carefully considered act for the welfare of our children. It is one thing to watch my own end ( as a senior who was a target of ' throw them to the wolves' mentality ) of the generational spectrum be gambled on the table for political advantage.

Like some of you I have wondered when the elders became so expendable in our society. But now I fear for those on the other end of life: my grandprecious, great nieces and nephews, and the children who will be returning to classrooms along with their teachers. Their health and well-being is a sacred trust.

To be dismissive about any dangers they face is not acceptable. When we open schools we must do so with every precaution in place. Every voice speaking about the pandemic should be saying this and our decisions about children should be scientifically transparent. To do anything less would be stepping over a line of decency that no community worth its name can cross.

JohnnyBlaze
JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States
20awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 3134

Trump threatens to cut funding for schools, slams CDC reopening guidelines as too tough and expensive

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/08/coronavirus-trump-threatens-to-cut-school-funding-slams-cdc-reopening-guidelines.html

it is even more reprehensible that threats are involved.

Ahavati said:I think we all have a line in the spiritual sand that we will not cross. For me it is using school openings as a political tool rather than a carefully considered act for the welfare of our children. It is one thing to watch my own end ( as a senior who was a target of ' throw them to the wolves' mentality ) of the generational spectrum be gambled on the table for political advantage.

Like some of you I have wondered when the elders became so expendable in our society. But now I fear for those on the other end of life: my grandprecious, great nieces and nephews, and the children who will be returning to classrooms along with their teachers. Their health and well-being is a sacred trust.

To be dismissive about any dangers they face is not acceptable. When we open schools we must do so with every precaution in place. Every voice speaking about the pandemic should be saying this and our decisions about children should be scientifically transparent. To do anything less would be stepping over a line of decency that no community worth its name can cross.

Valeriyabeyond
Valeriyabeyond
Valeriya
Fire of Insight
  profile   poems   message
Joined 3rd May 2020
Forum Posts: 922

Ahavati said:I think we all have a line in the spiritual sand that we will not cross. For me it is using school openings as a political tool rather than a carefully considered act for the welfare of our children. It is one thing to watch my own end ( as a senior who was a target of ' throw them to the wolves' mentality ) of the generational spectrum be gambled on the table for political advantage.

Very well spoken Ahavati
To open schools with all the precautions in place, plus whatever extra could be added for safety, I fear will not be enough
Secondary education thrives on extra curricular activities
Sports is huge, as is the debate team, drama club, and the math club.
It's not possible to declare "school in session" without these added incentives.
Some students excel in academics,  to remain a player in their favorite sport.  
Some are scouted for college sports,
it's an opportunity for a student to go to college who may not have had the chance otherwise.
Grades 9-12 especially
The school day runs on a strict  block of time.
Precisely 27 min. for lunch with a 12 min passing bell
Exactly 8 min between classes
Buses arrive at 7:00 am school starts at 7:12
Hundreds of  students pouring through the gates, in  15 min.
How do they expect to get around that?
By eliminating elective classes that's how
The three R's is what they will get
Nothing wrong with basic learning , although I feel it would be so oppressive for the student it will dumb them down
Create stress in their lives
Mental Health issues will develop
I would like to see online learning
together as in conference calls or Skype
Someone has to have the answer

EdibleWords
EdibleWords
Dangerous Mind
8awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 7th Jan 2018
Forum Posts: 1768

As a homeschooler I would love it if homeschooling worked for everybody.
There will be suicides far in excess of any potential deaths if we don’t reopen!

Danger and recklessness is not reopening. The children are more likely to die from shuttered schools.
We’ve already lost millions of lifespan years for disadvantaged school kids.

Enough is enough. Back to school.
I don’t care who wins -
We all lose if schools stay shut.

And no masks or distancing. Just normal school for kids.
Kids brains are being damaged by the lack of facial interactions.

EdibleWords
EdibleWords
Dangerous Mind
8awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 7th Jan 2018
Forum Posts: 1768

Grownups can wear masks if they like feeling more aggressive and socially isolated. I think we should never require masks when science points to it driving COVID deeper into the lungs, and many masks billow unfiltered air through valves like cannons - thus only “protecting” the wearer...

I’m sorry for popping in, but this is life and death important. Silence is violence, right?

Blackwolf
Blackwolf
I.M.Blackwolf
Dangerous Mind
11awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 31st Mar 2018
Forum Posts: 2203

EdibleWords said:As a homeschooler I would love it if homeschooling worked for everybody.
There will be suicides far in excess of any potential deaths if we don’t reopen!

Danger and recklessness is not reopening. The children are more likely to die from shuttered schools.
We’ve already lost millions of lifespan years for disadvantaged school kids.

Enough is enough. Back to school.
I don’t care who wins -
We all lose if schools stay shut.

And no masks or distancing. Just normal school for kids.
Kids brains are being damaged by the lack of facial interactions.

Incorrect , Edible...

"There will be suicides far in excess of any potential deaths if we don’t reopen!"

If there are suicides , so be it...those who would
do so are mentally weak , and we do not need them...

Nor should they have children , as far as I am concerned...

As far as masks , even though I still believe in homeschooling
until this is fully over , you are crazy ( honestly , yet with respect )
to think that children should not wear them , especially as this
country is not even close to the height of the pandemic , and
has far more active cases than ever ;

That type of thinking will not only endanger your children , yet all children...

Rethink your words and position , *extremely carefully*

Because I shall hold you to those words , no matter what
happens to those you love , including your children...

I say this with respect , yet I disagree with you very Strongly...

Ahavati
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Valeriyabeyond said:

Very well spoken Ahavati
To open schools with all the precautions in place, plus whatever extra could be added for safety, I fear will not be enough
Secondary education thrives on extra curricular activities
Sports is huge, as is the debate team, drama club, and the math club.
It's not possible to declare "school in session" without these added incentives.
Some students excel in academics,  to remain a player in their favorite sport.  
Some are scouted for college sports,
it's an opportunity for a student to go to college who may not have had the chance otherwise.
Grades 9-12 especially
The school day runs on a strict  block of time.
Precisely 27 min. for lunch with a 12 min passing bell
Exactly 8 min between classes
Buses arrive at 7:00 am school starts at 7:12
Hundreds of  students pouring through the gates, in  15 min.
How do they expect to get around that?
By eliminating elective classes that's how
The three R's is what they will get
Nothing wrong with basic learning , although I feel it would be so oppressive for the student it will dumb them down
Create stress in their lives
Mental Health issues will develop
I would like to see online learning
together as in conference calls or Skype
Someone has to have the answer

Thank you, Val. I do not know what kind of world my g'precious is about to experience. He's at that transitional age of 10. Adolescence is difficult enough without all of this upheaval and separation from interaction. I don't personally feel it's worth the danger to return to school. It is not my place to judge what others opt to do with their grand/children; it's only up to us to decide for ours.  We are in the process of that decision now. I've been teaching since schools closed anyway. What's another year ( or more )?

Go to page:
Go to: