Go to page:

Corona Virus ( Covid-19 )

Josh
Joshua Bond
Tyrant of Words
Palestine 40awards
Joined 2nd Feb 2017
Forum Posts: 1742

badmalthus said:Chapter 5 of the Tao Te Ching...the one chapter that westerners have always had a problem with...
Heaven and Earth treat all things as straw dogs;
they are completely indifferent.
A wise person understands the reasons why.

Mother nature does not conform to our desires...like the ancient Greek saying...If you want to make the Gods laugh, tell them of your plans.

Think globally, act locally...help your neighbour...even if you do not like each other...kindness is the best medicine...but remember...virus' are not good or eveil...they are completely indifferent...they treat us all as "straw dogs".

Balance & Harmony...Harry

Well said Harry. It's time we got away from the 'war narrative' and the 'good vs evil' narrative. By essentially declaring war on Nature, especially in the last 400 years, trying to out-do Nature at Her own game and make her "irrelevent" through the power of science & technology - well, the results are coming in (as many have long predicted, especially poets in the 1800s).
A better world is possible. Co-operation with Nature, & kindness to each other (as you say) show a way forward through this tragic phase. Stay well in your neck of the woods, Josh.

badmalthus
Harry Rout
Dangerous Mind
19awards
Joined 3rd May 2014
Forum Posts: 433

Thank you Josh...your words are full of wisdom my friend. We are an island down here in Australia...a big island lol. Just have to keep going with the flow my friend. Hope you and you loved ones are doing the same man.
Peace...Harry

manic_pixie_dream
Strange Creature
United States
Joined 26th Mar 2020
Forum Posts: 1

I have tried really hard to write a poem about Covid-19, but everything I have written seems too scripted. Will it get better after things lessen, or is writing during the situation more genuine?

Valeriya
Valeriya Long
Fire of Insight
United States 4awards
Joined 1st Jan 2020
Forum Posts: 705

Josh said:

Well said Harry. It's time we got away from the 'war narrative' and the 'good vs evil' narrative. By essentially declaring war on Nature, especially in the last 400 years, trying to out-do Nature at Her own game and make her "irrelevent" through the power of science & technology - well, the results are coming in (as many have long predicted, especially poets in the 1800s).
A better world is possible. Co-operation with Nature, & kindness to each other (as you say) show a way forward through this tragic phase. Stay well in your neck of the woods, Josh.

Very well said
Humans are the species who are hell bent on destruction they (not all) live to destroy their habitat
The virus is not out to destroy it wants to live it wants to preserve its habitat.
It's our bodies that freak out shift into over drive essentially killing us
The balance is within us in our "habitat"
The PH in balance our nutrients and proteins in balance A healthy respect to the microbes in us and around us throw hand sanitizer away soap and water is fine
BALANCE

Valeriya
Valeriya Long
Fire of Insight
United States 4awards
Joined 1st Jan 2020
Forum Posts: 705

manic_pixie_dream said:I have tried really hard to write a poem about Covid-19, but everything I have written seems too scripted. Will it get better after things lessen, or in writing during the situation more genuine?

Just write from the heart The angle of the vision behind the writing will be different from several different perspectives. Prose for a documentary type write Free verse from the POV of the dying or grieving Let it come from your heart you can't go wrong

Jade-Pandora
jade tiger
Tyrant of Words
United States 154awards
Joined 9th Nov 2015
Forum Posts: 5134

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14591

badmalthus said:Chapter 5 of the Tao Te Ching...the one chapter that westerners have always had a problem with...
Heaven and Earth treat all things as straw dogs;
they are completely indifferent.
A wise person understands the reasons why.

Mother nature does not conform to our desires...like the ancient Greek saying...If you want to make the Gods laugh, tell them of your plans.

Think globally, act locally...help your neighbour...even if you do not like each other...kindness is the best medicine...but remember...virus' are not good or evil...they are completely indifferent...they treat us all as "straw dogs".

Balance & Harmony...Harry

One of the reasons I left the mission field was because my spirit could not bear witness with the gospel they were preaching, namely good vs evil.  Though I'm sure the seeds were planted in college when my thesis researched common ground of world religions, enabling the freedom my father afforded me to read when young to burgeon into understanding via the contrast of each faith.

And of course the common ground was Love.

I could not reconcile blame.  God was not a convenience to love if things went right, and conversely, question if things went wrong.  The scriptures are not to be cherry-picked upon convenience.

Isaiah 45:7 says I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.

We are no better than Job in the experiences we must face to evolve. We are no better than any other human who has and is facing hard times. Whenever we say "Why me?", we are, in essence, saying, "Why not someone else?"

Trials and tribulations such as these test us, just as the poor, who will always be among us to test our compassion.  We see who we are through something like this. But, more importantly, and hopefully, we see who we want to become.

Each day glaciers melt and pockets of air, and whatever they contain, are released into our atmosphere. Animals are bound to eat them either naturally  from plants they've landed on, or by ingesting animals who have eaten them.  

Last month scientists discovered a virus in Brazil containing unknown genes they can't identify.  In January scientists discovered ancient viruses inside a glacier in Tibet.  Where is Tibet? Well, we aren't sure because the Republic of China claims Tibet is an integral part of China, while Tibetan Government-in-Exile claims that Tibet is an independent state.  What we do know is that it's right there with China, where covid-19 purportedly originated from.

Bats swallow whatever they swallow with gaping mouths zagging through the air, including airborne particles of whatever.  Then we eat whatever they eat via eating them.

I agree this is not a case of evil attacking the human race; it's a case of humans suffering the consequences of their own actions. Or, rather, humanity as a whole suffering for the actions of a few elite authoritarians infested with greed.

These times try us , they challenge our resolve. And, while it might not seem fair that some of the greatest humanitarians have fallen to this virus, there are always casualties of war that include the innocent whose only desire was to protect their little plot of the planet from greedy poachers.    

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14591

Son of a . . . .

Coronavirus: US Senate snag holds up $2tn disaster aid bill

A last-minute row is delaying a vote in Congress on a $2tn (£1.7tn) coronavirus disaster aid bill that is the largest economic stimulus in US history.

Republican and Democratic senators have been arguing over jobless benefits in the titanic spending legislation.

[ . . . ]

What's the snag in Congress?
President Donald Trump, a Republican, said on Wednesday he would sign the fast-tracked bill as soon as it reached his desk.

But the plan hit a speed bump as Republican senators Tim Scott, Rick Scott, Ben Sasse and Lindsey Graham said its major expansion of jobless benefits provided "a strong incentive for employees to be laid off instead of going to work".

They said they would oppose the bill unless it was fixed to ensure workers could not have a higher income while unemployed than in a job.

Senator Bernie Sanders, who is running for the Democratic presidential nomination, said he would oppose the bill unless the Republicans dropped their objections. He also demanded tougher conditions on the legislation's "corporate welfare".

[ . . . ]

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52033863

One thing is for certain and two for sure. . .at the rate of deaths from this virus, there will be a healthy surplus by the time they actually agree.

And don't believe what it says about Americans earning under 75,000 getting 1,200.  It's actually "up to" 1,200, beginning at 600.00 for low income workers because we can survive on less. [ /sarcasm ]  

Billy_Snagg
Rist Jizzmann
Tyrant of Words
United Kingdom 37awards
Joined 14th Apr 2018
Forum Posts: 235

Deleted (due to lack of interest)

runaway-mindtrain
Dangerous Mind
United States 8awards
Joined 30th July 2017
Forum Posts: 759

The 1400 page pork addendum from Democrats Chuck and Nancy and two downvotes to stop the measure while the same media pushes the panic button  ....Were also factors in our problems, to be complete with info...

hemihead
hemi
Dangerous Mind
New Zealand 13awards
Joined 1st Nov 2010
Forum Posts: 1749

My country’s government response; immediate all stop country wide lock down for minimum of four weeks. Immediate standard payment of $585/week per working aged person not already on a benefit, if employer applies for it....no cap, no questions, no eligibility test. Figure being reviewed and may well be increased within 72 hours after feedback from social services minister. All existing benefits (sickness, widows, low wage earners, disability etc) all remain unchanged. Low risk prisoners released (prisons are very high outbreak risk). Freeze on rent rises. Immediate mortgage support for people who can’t pay mortgages. Immediate tax cuts to business. Immediate full border shutdown except nationals returning. Immediate visas extension and full free medical treatment to all foreigners caught here, to match the rights of citizens. Test and track system in place. Update live from health minister every 24 hours. Stimulus package agreed and in place, with complete focus on the issue at hand and full agreement across all sides of house. Civil emergency declared to mobilise reserve medical equipment and direct industry to essential services support. Election later this year will go ahead as planned. Two referendums (legalising cannabis and euthanisia) will go to seperate vote as planned. Government will act only on the advice of health experts, and all other considerations are secondary. Schools closed. Prime Minister answered questions from public on Facebook live from her house after putting her toddler to bed. She was honest, clear, direct and frank. We will all go our part, as a sensible democratic nation facing a global pandemic.

Are your leaders working for you?

Remember it at the poles.

(The police asked criminals to stop committing crime due to the serious situation....and they bloody have!)

poet Anonymous

hemihead said:My country’s government response; immediate all stop country wide lock down for minimum of four weeks. Immediate standard payment of $585/week per working aged person not already on a benefit, if employer applies for it....no cap, no questions, no eligibility test. Figure being reviewed and may well be increased within 72 hours after feedback from social services minister. All existing benefits (sickness, widows, low wage earners, disability etc) all remain unchanged. Low risk prisoners released (prisons are very high outbreak risk). Freeze on rent rises. Immediate mortgage support for people who can’t pay mortgages. Immediate tax cuts to business. Immediate full border shutdown except nationals returning. Immediate visas extension and full free medical treatment to all foreigners caught here, to match the rights of citizens. Test and track system in place. Update live from health minister every 24 hours. Stimulus package agreed and in place, with complete focus on the issue at hand and full agreement across all sides of house. Civil emergency declared to mobilise reserve medical equipment and direct industry to essential services support. Election later this year will go ahead as planned. Two referendums (legalising cannabis and euthanisia) will go to seperate vote as planned. Government will act only on the advice of health experts, and all other considerations are secondary. Schools closed. Prime Minister answered questions from public on Facebook live from her house after putting her toddler to bed. She was honest, clear, direct and frank. We will all go our part, as a sensible democratic nation facing a global pandemic.

Are your leaders working for you?

Remember it at the poles.

(The police asked criminals to stop committing crime due to the serious situation....and they bloody have!)

I am in the top 0.5% of salaried workers. I pay 22% income tax on anything under about $100k per year, and 30% on income above that.

All businesses pay tax at 15%.

I get free healthcare, but pay a levy due to my income to allow me to go private, as the logic is I can afford it and it reduces strain on lower wage earners.

The police are well paid and heavily policed themselves.

My education to 18 was free. My honours degree in civil engineering cost me $4000 dollars and I was paid a student living allowance the whole time. A degree will now cost you around $20 000 and can be defaulted on for no penalty under hardship assessment. It is only repayable once you are earning above a threshold, and is taken from you in your pay check at around 2% per year...more if you earn more.

Nobody can sue anyone.

If I have an accident the country pays all my rehab and 80% of my salary until I can work again.

Abortion is legal.

Gay marriage is legal.

We have the second lowest corruption rate in the world.

We are in the process of negotiating to fully compensate our indigenous people for fucking them over, and their language is our official language along with English and sign language.

70% of our coastline will soon be marine reserves to protect our marine industry and cultural heritage,

This country is far far from perfect, but when we see what others are prepared to accept as leadership we feel pretty good.

Whakataka te hau ki te uru,
Whakataka te hau ki te tonga.
Kia mākinakina ki uta,
Kia mātaratara ki tai.
E hī ake ana te atākura he tio,
he huka, he hauhunga.
Haumi e! Hui e! Tāiki e!

Kia Kaha.

https://youtu.be/k_86SmJOeG8

(Warriors issuing a challenge to government officials coming on to their land to sign a settlement deal. This challenge is very real. They are saying to the government people if you come here to tell lies or bring conflict, we will crush your f#cking heads and bury you in our cooking fires....give them a minute to really start winding up)

Vote.

Waves at the kiwis from Australia

I wish our premiere had done the same god damn thing but we still have no idea where we stand we’re on partial lock downs which I believe are causing more suffering over a longer period of time to the bar and restaurant industries due to the extended duration they’ll be unable to trade,

And I’m still trying to figure out what this stimulus package is going to be phoned the accountant and she suggested I go sign up for welfare just in case, I’ve been a little critical of Ardern a few times but she has handled this shit like a BOSS

We’re in a lucky position with our business because my partner and I refused to try and expand on debts we waited till we had the capital before each step forward took us longer to get where we are now but besides a lease and a mortgage which we are 12months ahead in we five no debts, we have 2 months of stock supply on hand and enough money to send our workers home for a month and still pay them from our own pockets

However we are still trading and I keep thinking to my self what the fuck are we doing

hemihead
hemi
Dangerous Mind
New Zealand 13awards
Joined 1st Nov 2010
Forum Posts: 1749

For a business owner I’d say you are in a pretty good space.

Keep a close eye on cashflow. Control outgoings. Assume a very tough unemployment rate. Focus on government clients. Burn your worst staff first if it comes to it. Pay only the bills you have to...really have to. Always know what your base operating costs are. Have an honest talk to your workforce...we all just voluntarily took a 20% pay cut. Assume only a fire-sale value for stock, and the business, if you are weighing up getting out.

The Aussie government is being very slow to react socially and financially. Industry needs clear direction or they will start burning people and folding. Aus cash position is not as great as it was, but the heavy reliance on chinese trade might help a recovery..... they have cash.

House prices will get smashed, guaranteeing a recession.

Batten down, and make tough decisions early.

*waves back across the ditch at you.

poet Anonymous

hemihead said:For a business owner I’d say you are in a pretty good space.

Keep a close eye on cashflow. Control outgoings. Assume a very tough unemployment rate. Focus on government clients. Burn your worst staff first if it comes to it. Always know what your base operating costs are. Have an honest talk to your workforce...we all just voluntarily took a 20% pay cut.

The Aussie government is being very slow to react socially and financially. Industry needs clear direction or they will start burning people and folding. Aus cash position is not as great as it was, but the heavy reliance on chinese trade might help a recovery.

House prices will get smashed, guaranteeing a recession.

Batten down, and make tough decisions early.

*waves back across the ditch at you.

All our staff are full time we do a 12month hard vetting process before we hire for full time employ and across the board standards are as high as we can make them, we don’t have any long term contracts it’s all domestic housing work, in that regard I feel we haven’t gone in that direction hard enough but it was the next 5 year plan was to obtain steady contracts as opposed to the constant chase of work. Our reputation has sustained us for the last ten years with rare advertising presence.

And I’ve been telling my stuff to stock up on food and supplies since January so they’ve all got a few weeks food on hand and the all important dunny roll. We all avoided the crazy buy ups and shortages thankfully

We got smashed when the supply chain broke down from China we were getting powder coat and anodising done here for a couple of weeks on our main colours in aluminium to keep the stocks healthy.

I was hoping this incident would break chinas strangle hold on cheap supply and strengthen internal growth and export for Australia but I think I’m trying to unfurl a pipe dream there

poet Anonymous

Does anyone else think China should have any accountability for this or did it rush bye too quick, it’s easy to play a blame game especially with how humans are wired?

Go to page:
Go to: