Go to page:

Corona Virus ( Covid-19 )

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14263

hemihead said:Covid 19 new cases rate over time for various countries.....watch what happens when lock down is done right

https://www.reddit.com/r/dataisbeautiful/comments/fq4pgj/oc_corona_trends_shows_how_countries_that_contain/

(Graph is log scale, so straight line means exponential growth. Plotted ‘normally’ would need a massive graph, hence log scale. They have other graphics for showing exponential growth)

True growth rates here, meaning not on log scale....the US is on the mother of all exponential runs!

https://i.redd.it/lqetnz4xw9p41.gif

So China went into lockdown January 23, and the significant drop began Feb 15, roughly three weeks into lockdown.  

Italy went into lockdown March 09.  So, based on that data, we should begin to see a significant drop with Italy the beginning of next week.  It already appears they may be leveling off.

And the U.S. . . . well. . .

Thanks for sharing, Hemi.  

EdibleWords
Tyrant of Words
8awards
Joined 7th Jan 2018
Forum Posts: 2993

Ahavati said:This is why I balk at conspiracy theories.  This is nothing new; it has happened before.  We survived a new world order then and we'll survive again.

I just think it's a bit like the reckless the ani-isolationism... as much as we need to shelter in place and respect the tragedy, government is the #1 cause of death.

More of my family died from government than infectious disease. ☠️☠️☠️☠️☠️☠️☠️☠️☠️🤧

🥀Just... sayin.

EdibleWords
Tyrant of Words
8awards
Joined 7th Jan 2018
Forum Posts: 2993

Ahavati said:
The press conference likely had nothing to do with the video of the drs and nurses as that hospital as much as the mayor of New York's request for supplies.

Here's one of the latest stories where Gov. Cuomo rebutted the statements regarding the ventilators.  

Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo rebutted comments from President Trump that New York was overstating its need for ventilators

I didn't connect the two.... I just thought he was trying to update us. Interesting. I mean, you make sense. I just didn't realize... sort of thought it was a secondary item.

I try to slow down enough to read the links that participants provide. The issue here is that many don't, and they assume and jump the gun to comment on those assumptions.  

Some also need to read those links more slowly. I tend to rush... my MO! I did read... this link... there was a lot in there... though...

You've got doctors and nurses requesting supplies to save patients. You've got the mayor requesting supplies. And he readily admits his request is just an estimate based on diagnosed cases.  

I trust doctors less than politicians. 🤐

It's not like he's mother Theresa.... that would be you. 😇
(Don't project! 😉)

Declining the request for a specific number of ventilators is fine, but to downplay the need and not just get them as much of what they need is yet another delay in the many delays ( beginning with testing ) of our administration.

My jury is still out on Trump. Half the time he makes me laugh... 😈
The other half, im like... 🤔

hemihead
hemi
Dangerous Mind
New Zealand 13awards
Joined 1st Nov 2010
Forum Posts: 1749

Second episode from experts, specifically addressing likelihood of vaccines etc. Hit off the press as was produced a couple of hours ago.

Strong props to commentonly for finding this great, informed and credible resource.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zI9UBmsSKKA&feature=share

Billy_Snagg
Rist Jizzmann
Tyrant of Words
United Kingdom 37awards
Joined 14th Apr 2018
Forum Posts: 233

Those macho guys in the US government were standing way too close to one another when Trump delivered his economic stimulus package yesterday. Ok, maybe they all tested negative for COVID-19 before the news conference, in which case all is well. There's one statistic that I am not altogether surprised about & that is that more Men than Women have contracted COVID-19 & I think I know why. British prime minister Boris is no better, I kid you not (to use one of his phrases). Boris has been far too casual in his social distancing & as for the health secretary, Matt Hancock, who has been telling us about what measures we should take, has also clearly not taken enough appropriate steps. I am not nitpicking. It is all on television, the way those in power were not taking stricter measures to avoid COVID-19 transmission, especially when they are 'educated' men, armed with all the appropriate medical facts! It's hard, yes I know but it needs to be done! It is not in human beings' DNA to be anti-social. That's fine. It is also not an excuse!

hemihead
hemi
Dangerous Mind
New Zealand 13awards
Joined 1st Nov 2010

Billy_Snagg said:Those macho guys in the US government were standing way too close to one another when Trump delivered his economic stimulus package yesterday. Ok, maybe they all tested negative for COVID-19 before the news conference, in which case all is well. There's one statistic that I am not altogether surprised about & that is that more Men than Women have contracted COVID-19 & I think I know why. British prime minister Boris is no better, I kid you not (to use one of his phrases). Boris has been far too casual in his social distancing & as for the health secretary, Matt Hancock, who has been telling us about what measures we should take, has also clearly not taken enough appropriate steps. I am not nitpicking. It is all on television, the way those in power were not taking stricter measures to avoid COVID-19 transmission, especially when they are 'educated' men, armed with all the appropriate medical facts! It's hard, yes I know but it needs to be done! It is not in human beings' DNA to be anti-social. That's fine. It is also not an excuse!

Darwinian selection in action, right there for us to observe. Wait two weeks, and we’ll see who incubated what.

poet Anonymous

This sends the right message and it’s done in a way which I think will bring many of us a much needed smile....I hope it’s enjoyed...

https://youtu.be/e0-2XxgHIXk

Peace and stay safe everyone ✌🏻 🌻

hemihead
hemi
Dangerous Mind
New Zealand 13awards
Joined 1st Nov 2010

Taryn said:This sends the right message and it’s done in a way which I think will bring many of us a much needed smile....I hope it’s enjoyed...

https://youtu.be/e0-2XxgHIXk

Peace and stay safe everyone ✌🏻 🌻

Love this guy....I play some slide guitar, and he does great tutorials on steel guitar....

Stay the fuck at home :-)

drone
Tyrant of Words
Greece 10awards
Joined 3rd Sep 2011
Forum Posts: 2252

The Second Chromosme
When one adds
our history
that which is
printed
in a type of stone
together
with what is
scientifically known
one tends to come
to the sad conclusion
that natural evolution
never applied
to us
as we travel the road
towards
the unknown

But there are those
who continue
no matter the cost
desperately
holding on
to their
psychological crutch
screaming and wailing
as they watch
the tornado
of logical facts
turn their belief's
into
Desperate Acts

drone
Tyrant of Words
Greece 10awards
Joined 3rd Sep 2011
Forum Posts: 2252

A recent study of COVID-19 cases in the United States found that, among 4,226 reported cases , at least 508 people, or 12% were hospitalized. However, the study, published March 18 in the CDC journal Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report (MMWR) is preliminary, and the researchers note that data on hospitalizations were missing for a substantial number of patients.
It's important to note
STRANGE

hemihead
hemi
Dangerous Mind
New Zealand 13awards
Joined 1st Nov 2010

drone said:
A recent study of COVID-19 cases in the United States found that, among 4,226 reported cases , at least 508 people, or 12% were hospitalized. However, the study, published March 18 in the CDC journal Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report (MMWR) is preliminary, and the researchers note that data on hospitalizations were missing for a substantial number of patients.
It's important to note
STRANGE

What’s your point?

US is now at 100 000 cases. You may not understand exponential growth but some do. Quoting a report (that I cant be bothered to read) that focuses on known cases, which relies heavily on unknown rates of testing, published more than 10 days ago, serves no purpose.

It is completely clear that the US has acted neither soon enough nor strongly enough to prevent a shit-tonne of people dying.

You are either asleep or don’t care. Right now that makes you, who I usually regard as light entertainment, as of minor significance.

hemihead
hemi
Dangerous Mind
New Zealand 13awards
Joined 1st Nov 2010

Commentonly said:https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4J0d59dd-qM#searching

Mate...you are 2 for 2 in finding quality data well presented. That  displays both brains and patience, with a side dish of filtering for quality presentation.

Respect.

Have shared to Facebook for awareness in my social group (which has a very wide range of scientific literacy)

Keep going.

H.

Valeriya
Valeriya Long
Fire of Insight
United States 4awards
Joined 1st Jan 2020
Forum Posts: 705

PencilScribbles said:All I can say is "Wow".
There are a lot of really great educational posts on this forum...and some grossly inaccurate misconceptions.

If anyone has specific questions about:

-what a virus is
-how they KNOW it is not man-made
-how they determined it was likely a mutated bat/pangolin version of coronavirus
-or other specific biology questions

I'd be happy to give you my biology understandings the best I can.
I didn't read everything, so I'm unsure on what and what hasn't been talked about.

As for me:
The best qualification I have to offer is that I have research in genetics (which is basically all a virus is...DNA/RNA inside a protein capsule) and a vast background in biology.

I am also currently applying to a number of Biology PhD programs in the U.S.
...so, it's kind of my passion other than writing (though, I wouldn't call myself an expert...I just happen to know a little more than the average bear and how to find answers I don't know).

Hey PencilScribbles I do have a question or two for you
First question - are the tests that they are currently using are they specific to COVID-19?
Or are they for "Corona Virus"?
Secondly the tests they are using are PCR tests or Serology / antibody tests correct?
This is where a  sample of your cells
your DNA  is amplified to look for
viral sequences?
Which are bits of non human DNA?
They are looking to match a known viral genome?
The sample is  amplified exponentially (the DNA)  until something can be identified, wouldn't contaminants  be identified also. ?
These contaminants would or could produce a gross error couldn't they?
Wouldn't the test need to be one that would isolate/ the particles or use purified particles?
Which they are not with the tests they are using
How would it be possible to identify a whole pathogen the way the tests are being run?
The last question is viral load if the sample is amplified how would they determine the viral load?
Thank you for your help it is appreciated

Valeriya
Valeriya Long
Fire of Insight
United States 4awards
Joined 1st Jan 2020
Forum Posts: 705

hemihead said:

Darwinian selection in action, right there for us to observe. Wait two weeks, and we’ll see who incubated what.

Post removed / not factual

Go to page:
Go to: