Go to page:

Official DU NaPoWriMo 2020 Discussion Thread

marina2020
Rain Woman
Fire of Insight
United States 3awards
Joined 8th Jan 2017
Forum Posts: 85

JohnnyBlaze said:Poetfleet cadet Marina2020, you've been Tweeted and Instagrammed!

https://www.twitter.com/poeticmedics/
https://www.instagram.com/poeticmedics/

I'm honored!

Tallen
earth_empath
Tyrant of Words
32awards
Joined 15th Oct 2018
Forum Posts: 2264

Might explain for the absentees
and the non-compliances?

_shadoe_
yiyi
Tyrant of Words
54awards
Joined 25th Apr 2013
Forum Posts: 563

Tallen said:Might explain for the absentees
and the non-compliances?

🤣🤣🤣

DaisyGrace
Dangerous Mind
United States 17awards
Joined 29th Mar 2017
Forum Posts: 1337

why is this day being so crazy for me?! i haven't had time to sit and think about anything to do with today's poem all dang day. too much work and clients and bosses!!!!!

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14273

DaisyGrace said:why is this day being so crazy for me?! i haven't had time to sit and think about anything to do with today's poem all dang day. too much work and clients and bosses!!!!!

Becauses next Friday is Good Friday so they have to be evil today?

DaisyGrace
Dangerous Mind
United States 17awards
Joined 29th Mar 2017
Forum Posts: 1337

Ahavati said:

Becauses next Friday is Good Friday so they have to be evil today?

Listen. Today is the day that small businesses can apply for the paycheck protection program. small businesses make up our entire client list. of all our clients, i'd say 75% are applying because they want to continue to pay their employees but are shut down/reduced hours. so i've spent all day sending financial data to banks and helping people figure out what they need to do. it has been CRAZY.

crazy, i tell you!

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14273

DaisyGrace said:

Listen. Today is the day that small businesses can apply for the paycheck protection program. small businesses make up our entire client list. of all our clients, i'd say 75% are applying because they want to continue to pay their employees but are shut down/reduced hours. so i've spent all day sending financial data to banks and helping people figure out what they need to do. it has been CRAZY.

crazy, i tell you!

Can't. Imagine.  

But I am happy our government is at least providing something.  Anything is better than nothing ( even if it is a rouge to cover their asses or not being prepared despite being warned ).  

SatInUGal
Kumar
Dangerous Mind
United States 24awards
Joined 31st Dec 2015
Forum Posts: 903

Noticing a burn theme in all my submissions so far. Hmm.

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5572

For anyone strictly relying on a wordcounter program

Software is not going to provide an accurate counter if it isn't treating things like numbers, ampersands, etc as words.

If it looks like its about 50 to 70 words with a lot of visually distracting  craziness in it such as inordinant use of punctuation and or symbols, then it is best to do a manual count.  

from page 53(?) of this thread

JohnnyBlaze said:

Since we are on the subject ....

When it comes to a lengthy poem, a simple glance will reveal that such likely contains the minimum 50 unique words.

The example below is what a sonnet of 70 words total can look like in terms of size. If your poem appears similar in size or smaller, you should definitely count the amount of unique words in it.

xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx

Many writers will repeat simple words like "the" , "and" , "a" , etc. to such a degree that the above entry may not qualify.

One of the reasons why we have implemented the 50+ Unique Word Rule was to challenge you into expanding your vocabulary while eliminating  "overuse" of the same words to the point that the reader is distracted by the repetition or is hypnotized into taking a nap.  

Eerie
Dangerous Mind
14awards
Joined 29th July 2018
Forum Posts: 889

JohnnyBlaze said:For anyone strictly relying on a wordcounter program

Software is not going to provide an accurate counter if it isn't treating things like numbers, ampersands, etc as words.

If it looks like its about 50 to 70 words with a lot of visually distracting  craziness in it such as inordinant use of punctuation and or symbols, then it is best to do a manual count.  

from page 53(?) of this thread

The counter I use came from a link in this thread and it does count numbers, but not ampersands. Couldn’t think of what else to add in to check while I had the tab open 🤔

Eerie
Dangerous Mind
14awards
Joined 29th July 2018

A little DU NaPo themed fun for your Saturday

LunaGreyhawk
Dangerous Mind
United States 17awards
Joined 8th July 2019
Forum Posts: 864

Eerie said:A little DU NaPo themed fun for your Saturday

I know I’m not the only one who sang this.....right?

brokentitanium
k.
Tyrant of Words
Canada 10awards
Joined 18th Nov 2015
Forum Posts: 1123

LunaGreyhawk said:

I know I’m not the only one who sang this.....right?

Damn right!

Jade-Pandora
jade tiger
Tyrant of Words
United States 154awards
Joined 9th Nov 2015
Forum Posts: 5134

Eerie said:

The counter I use came from a link in this thread and it does count numbers, but not ampersands. Couldn’t think of what else to add in to check while I had the tab open 🤔

Because of what you and JohnnyB posted, here are the results of my test for the counter I use:

Testing word counter:

‘ 1 hopes and dreams & schemes
will see you 2 through, too. ‘

9 unique words of 9 total (100%)

http://caerphoto.com/uwc/

So no, it doesn’t count numbers or ampersands.  Surprised me, but now that I know I’ll easily catch it.

Eerie
Dangerous Mind
14awards
Joined 29th July 2018

Jade-Pandora said:

Because of what you and JohnnyB posted, here are the results of my test for the counter I use:

Testing word counter:

‘ 1 hopes and dreams & schemes
will see you 2 through, too. ‘

9 unique words of 9 total (100%)

http://caerphoto.com/uwc/

So no, it doesn’t count numbers or ampersands.  Surprised me, but now that I know I’ll easily catch it.

Jade, you’re right. I ran your example sentence through the word counter I’m using and realized it’s the same one you are using .
I think it counted the 36 in my poem yesterday because it was written 36th. So I tired that out and yes, the “th”  made it a countable word. Interesting 🤔

Go to page:
Go to: