Go to page:

Official DU NaPoWriMo 2020 Discussion Thread

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5573

Anonymous said:<< post removed >>

You wouldn't believe the amount of misfires that have occurred in this week alone LOL.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14587

Anonymous said:<< post removed >>

Also, as long as you edited within the 24 hour allotment, you're fine.  Elsewise, your explanation would have to do.

ImperfectedStone
The Gardener
Tyrant of Words
United Kingdom 28awards
Joined 10th Oct 2010
Forum Posts: 1347

I write on the day. Think it is more in line with the energy of NaPo. That said, I'm being very strict with myself this year, what I expect, when I can write, where I must sit to write etc - something the other years have taught me is completely necessary for completion and it's working well.

brokentitanium
k.
Tyrant of Words
Canada 10awards
Joined 18th Nov 2015
Forum Posts: 1164

ImperfectedStone said:I write on the day. Think it is more in line with the energy of NaPo. That said, I'm being very strict with myself this year, what I expect, when I can write, where I must sit to write etc - something the other years have taught me is completely necessary for completion and it's working well.

I need to establish this sort of routine. Late-night freaking out is taking its toll on my sleep and sanity! I also write everything on the day, but procrastination is a problem...

I've always found it easier (or more compelling) to write when I'm in a depressed state and ignoring all sensible self-care. My goal for this month is to try and find a way to connect poetry writing with some healthier habits - separate it from the misery and self-abuse!

ImperfectedStone
The Gardener
Tyrant of Words
United Kingdom 28awards
Joined 10th Oct 2010
Forum Posts: 1347

Definitely. I need to be completely consumed by nature, even so much as a motorbike revving or someone hanging out washing can set me back another hour. I had hoped this NaPos series would be wild swim based but with C-19 it wasn't to be. It's ok, I feel like I'm hitting an understanding of how the garden affects me in a way I didn't before.

Other spaces that I'd happily write about include coffee shops, darkness, woods, beaches but again needs to be sensory and I'm limited by quarantine in my country.

Best of luck to you. Xx

Eerie
Dangerous Mind
14awards
Joined 29th July 2018
Forum Posts: 890

brokentitanium said:

I need to establish this sort of routine. Late-night freaking out is taking its toll on my sleep and sanity! I also write everything on the day, but procrastination is a problem...

I've always found it easier (or more compelling) to write when I'm in a depressed state and ignoring all sensible self-care. My goal for this month is to try and find a way to connect poetry writing with some healthier habits - separate it from the misery and self-abuse!

I’ve been writing everything on the day as well. I tried to plan an epic or something a little more theme based but was coming up dry so I decided to wing it each day and write about whatever was happening or whatever I happened to be thinking about the most. I am like you in that I find it easier to write when in a particular state of mind. I have mostly not been able to get away from that.
At this point, I’m just impressed that I’ve been able to produce seven days in a row. It’s been a good challenge!

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015

We love hearing the stories of your NaPo experience - keep them coming!

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14587

Greetings, Entrants!  CONGRATULATIONS! If you have a spaceship beside your name, you have successfully made it through Day Seven, and are officially 1/4th of the way through the challenge!

DaisyGrace
Dangerous Mind
United States 17awards
Joined 29th Mar 2017
Forum Posts: 1368

brokentitanium said:

i heard someone say once "write from the scar, not the wound." that has stuck with me and i try to heed that advice. while it is quite therapeutic to write in the midst of the 'wound' and i would never discourage someone from writing while depressed, or going through trauma, i've found i can be more objective and mine for even deeper emotions when i'm away from the wound. and that leads to better, more universally relatable, poetry.

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015

EPISODE 8/30

As the USS Stanza was travelling through Typer Space at Ridiculously Warped Speed, Chief Security Officer Summer Yar contacted the Bridge.

"Captain, Commander, Rear Admiral ... Christ, everybody! It appears we've had a security breach."

And appearing on the giant wide screen television was surveillance video footage of OrQ sneaking into an escape pod. Moments later, the pod ejected from the Stanza.

"Toh ghe'or?!" Warfyroo exclaimed as he rubbed the ridge on his forehead perplexedly. "Didn't we lose an escape pod already?!"

Spock-Josh was quick to explain.

"It appears that OrQ took advantage of quantum physics by jumping really high in the air just as we were entering Typer Space. Thus he was left behind in the immediate Past, through which he then leisurely wandered back into Episode Two and ejected."

"Wait," interrupted Captain Blaze, "this is hurting my brain ..."

"This is Science Fiction!" squealed Commander Deannavati, clapping her hands excitedly. "Anything can happen!"

"Oh, nooo!" Nurse Daisy cried out. "We're sliding because of all my fostered banana peels that are stuck to the Stanza's End Stop! We're going to zoom right by planet Quoteunquote!"

It was pandemonium on the bridge, as if were being filmed by a drunken cameraman. Fiftysevenhours was flung into vending machine, knocking loose all the Mars Bars. cabcool ended up like Oscar the Grouch in the garbage can.  nomoth landed face first in Nurse Daisy's lemon curd pie.

And that's when T'PoetsRevenge dashed across the Bridge and like a soldier and a grenade, she flung herself Vulcan ears and all onto the Electromagnetic Ellipsis!

Eerie
Dangerous Mind
14awards
Joined 29th July 2018
Forum Posts: 890

DaisyGrace said:

i heard someone say once "write from the scar, not the wound." that has stuck with me and i try to heed that advice. while it is quite therapeutic to write in the midst of the 'wound' and i would never discourage someone from writing while depressed, or going through trauma, i've found i can be more objective and mine for even deeper emotions when i'm away from the wound. and that leads to better, more universally relatable, poetry.

Hmm...a concept I will think on. Thank you for sharing that.

DaisyGrace
Dangerous Mind
United States 17awards
Joined 29th Mar 2017

Eerie said:

Hmm...a concept I will think on. Thank you for sharing that.

You are very welcome! I've found that emotions, thoughts, images, memories, etc that i don't want to even touch while going through the 'wound' are much more accessible once i've been away from it and healed. at least a little bit. maybe it's not for everyone, but for me it was extremely helpful advice.  

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015

Ahavati said:Greetings, Entrants!  CONGRATULATIONS! If you have a spaceship beside your name, you have successfully made it through Day Seven, and are officially 1/4th of the way through the challenge!

LOVE the cute little spaceships!! 😀🚀💕

Gahddess_Worship
Osomajestuoso
Tyrant of Words
United States 37awards
Joined 21st Aug 2013
Forum Posts: 819

DaisyGrace said:

i heard someone say once "write from the scar, not the wound." that has stuck with me  

What astute advice. Essentially write after and not in the midst of a trial after passions have cooled or resolved. Is that how you read this? Kinda like don't grocery shop when you're hungry

DaisyGrace
Dangerous Mind
United States 17awards
Joined 29th Mar 2017

Gahddess_Worship said:

What astute advice. Essentially write after and not in the midst of a trial after passions have cooled or resolved. Is that how you read this? Kinda like don't grocery shop when you're hungry

exactly! don't grocery shop when you're hungry. same exact thing.

while in the midst of the trial, i can't really focus on any one emotion or action. but once i'm out of it, i can look back and see exactly what it felt like or what i did.

Go to page:
Go to: