Psychopathy & Dark Triad Thread

Ahavati
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
89awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 7534

Umm said:Thought this was an informative, & a nicely made video: https://youtu.be/H_Dqczmp8Kc

💕🌱

Very nice and simply demonstrated.

Ahavati
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Some light reading this morning. LOL! Might want to keep this in mind throughout the election season! #BehaviorialPerspective

Anger, fear, and hate release dopamine and epinephrine in the body and can be as hard to kick as gambling or drugs. This is why some people find scary rides and outrage media so enjoyable. Dopamine’s main function in the brain is the pursuit of rewards. These chemicals plus oxytocin are also released when we love but oxytocin has a calming and bonding effect that’s lacking in fear, anger, and hate. Seeking out things that cause these emotions release loads of these chemicals in the body. In sustained doses these chemicals can have a “normalizing” effect on the pleasure centers of people who have depression, anxiety, unresolved traumas, and PTSD. This can cause people to seek out these emotions as a way of self medicating. Like any other addiction, the amount of stimulus needed to produce the baseline effect increases overtime, causing people to seek out more intense or sustained periods of anger, fear, and disgust in order to achieve the same results.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/culture-shrink/201508/angers-allure-are-you-addicted-anger?fbclid=IwAR2Bmhjl3w94mhP9G8ZtiEtW9_jGSH7a5xKywLM1wfnheTX6QNfqEgYB-Jk

JohnnyBlaze
JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States
20awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 3346

Ahavati said:Some light reading this morning. LOL! Might want to keep this in mind throughout the election season! #BehaviorialPerspective

Anger, fear, and hate release dopamine and epinephrine in the body and can be as hard to kick as gambling or drugs. This is why some people find scary rides and outrage media so enjoyable. Dopamine’s main function in the brain is the pursuit of rewards. These chemicals plus oxytocin are also released when we love but oxytocin has a calming and bonding effect that’s lacking in fear, anger, and hate. Seeking out things that cause these emotions release loads of these chemicals in the body. In sustained doses these chemicals can have a “normalizing” effect on the pleasure centers of people who have depression, anxiety, unresolved traumas, and PTSD. This can cause people to seek out these emotions as a way of self medicating. Like any other addiction, the amount of stimulus needed to produce the baseline effect increases overtime, causing people to seek out more intense or sustained periods of anger, fear, and disgust in order to achieve the same results.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/culture-shrink/201508/angers-allure-are-you-addicted-anger?fbclid=IwAR2Bmhjl3w94mhP9G8ZtiEtW9_jGSH7a5xKywLM1wfnheTX6QNfqEgYB-Jk

I believe the best example of this would be someone's constant fixation on his plummeting approval ratings ( why he isn't likeable ), and lashing-out-to-just -plain-firing of everyone that disagrees with him.

Umm
Umm
Dangerous Mind
Latvia
  profile   poems   message
Joined 6th Dec 2015
Forum Posts: 1789

Found Dr. Craig Malkin's YouTube channel yesterday and am amazed at the quality of information about narcissism he is sharing. Had to post him here (absolutely eye opening).

These are the videos of his I've watched so far and have found very informative:

https://youtu.be/YqV_QIvDeqA

https://youtu.be/BFPNS5C_uJA

https://youtu.be/RFmvhDRqCys

Ahavati
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Those are very simplistic  yet informative videos, particularly for those just starting out studying traits of narcissism ( which anyone who works on the internet should ). It's the introverted you have to be the most concerned with, i.e. - the one always complaining their childhood was worse than anyone else's, no one has suffered like they have, nothing that happens is ever their fault, etc. They appeal to people's sense of compassion, and draw them in via sympathy and sad stories, then hook them into a cycle of narcissistic fuel, while using their past as an excuse for bad behavior.

The only way to break it is to completely ignore them no matter what they do, as any attention, positive or negative, serves as fuel. And if they can't get your positive attention, they will definitely go after your negative via attempts to destroy your relationships and reputation.

Which, takes us back to my former post in regards to addiction to such behaviour:

Valeriyabeyond
Valeriyabeyond
Valeriya
Fire of Insight
2awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 3rd May 2020
Forum Posts: 1486

Ahavati said:Those are very simplistic  yet informative videos, particularly for those just starting out studying traits of narcissism ( which anyone who works on the internet should ). It's the introverted you have to be the most concerned with, i.e. - the one always complaining their childhood was worse than anyone else's, no one has suffered like they have, nothing that happens is ever their fault, etc. They appeal to people's sense of compassion, and draw them in via sympathy and sad stories, then hook them into a cycle of narcissistic fuel. The only way to break it is to completely ignore them no matter what they do, as any attention, positive or negative, serves as fuel. And if they can't get your positive attention, they will definitely go after your negative via attempts to destroy your relationships and reputation.

Which, takes us back to my former post in regards to addiction to such behaviour:

Outstanding reply and attached links Ahavati,
The world of narc behavior is somewhat like a movie (horror)
Once you realize what you are dealing with it takes total and complete respect and recognition of who you are to break free.
The addiction to the narc person or narc behavior puts you into a state of comatose, where you see your world as something not real, the delayed reaction and overall denial of what is real,  is debilitating.
You tend to see the person with rose colored glasses, mainly because you don't want to,  or don't have the inner strength (fear,lack of self) to face fact that the manipulation is controlling your every move, thought, and decision, the fact that you don't even see yourself as an individual.
You can't remember the last time you made a conscious decision that didn't involve the narc person and what they would feel.
" How do I feel, what do I think, how will this effect me"?  These questions are always altered within the mind of the "victim"
"How do I feel? - well I fell like I need to make the bed, fluff the feathers, create a world of peace.
"What do I think"?- I think if everything was cush, no waves, then we will be happy, that's not so hard to do. If I make everything "as it should be" then...
"How will this affect me"?
I am happy when he is happy I am here to provide comfort in return, he will be happy, this is what is expected of me, my position, my place  

The shame, guilt, and overall embarrassment of your situation creates another world inside the fake world that has been created which is outside of what is real.

You begin to stew with hate for the person for yourself it can overcome you and begin to spiral even further down into "hell" .
How to break free?
Which I have... Is a whole chapter in itself
A very inspiring although difficult one.

Valeriyabeyond
Valeriyabeyond
Valeriya
Fire of Insight
2awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 3rd May 2020
Forum Posts: 1486

Not sure who to give credit to for the photo Bette Davis or Tallulah Bankhead
The look is pure narcissistic self love
My quote© v
Let me know If you know who this Hollywood siren was

ENOONMAI