Go To Page  

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5573

Anonymous said:<< post removed >>

A solid perspective!

I would personally amend it to "sometimes in lyrical form" because lyrics accompanied by music is the most popular form of poetry these days.  So popular that the general population has a difficult time relating to plain textual poetry.

Song is usually appreciated more because there is a background to reinforce the words; the audio aspect is similar to the visual aspect of a visual poem.

Remove visual and audio ( or both from a live spoken word performance ) and depending on the writer, the words may be reduced to a series of statements severely lacking poeticism.

Thus, in regards to words alone without any such reinforcement, a built in context and or lyricallity becomes more vital - especially if it is to be appreciated more than once to very often.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14647

JohnnyBlaze said:

A solid perspective!

I would personally amend it to "sometimes in lyrical form" because lyrics accompanied by music is the most popular form of poetry these days.  So popular that the general population has a difficult time relating to plain textual poetry.

Song is usually appreciated more because there is a background to reinforce the words; the audio aspect is similar to the visual aspect of a visual poem.

Remove visual and audio ( or both from a live spoken word performance ) and depending on the writer, the words may be reduced to a series of statements severely lacking poeticism.

Thus, in regards to words alone without any such reinforcement, a built in context and or lyricallity becomes more vital - especially if it is to be appreciated more than once to very often.

Well-elucidated, you.

Blackwolf
I.M.Blackwolf
Tyrant of Words
13awards
Joined 31st Mar 2018
Forum Posts: 3572

"The class of literature comprising poems.
Composition in verse or language exhibiting conscious attention to patterns.
A poet's literary production
A 'poetical' quality, artistic and/or artfull, which appeals or stirs the imagination, in any medium"

Not To Be A Boor , Yet Literature , Comprising ,
Surprising The Unwary , Sometimes Scary ;

This The Poet , Knows It , Sometimes Prose
With Intent , Somewhat Bent , A Production ,
An Introduction To A Reduction Of Phrase ,
Mental Stimuli , Phase Applied , Not Denied ;

Not Be Entrapped In One's Weave Deceived
By Words Unheard Arrangement Derangement
Leaving A Sense Of Estrangement ;

Pattern Exhibition With No Inhibition Or Derision
Just Decision In Precision Stirring The Brain Frame
To Realms Inane Or Insane No Need For Explanation
Poetry Ever Shall Be The Key For All To Be Free
Contemplation Station , Foundation In Imagination !

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5573

Ahavati said:

Well-elucidated, you.

I have my moments; far and few between they be.

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
Blackwolf
I.M.Blackwolf
Tyrant of Words
13awards
Joined 31st Mar 2018

One should always have an emotional investment in their poetry ;

The dividends of mind play increasing , as well the payoff of navel
reserve ( belly button gut level feeling ) , always give one further
self confidence , if one embraces it...

Though many speak of ego as a negative , it is the ego which sustains
us in this world , and it is only the ego untrained that may be seen as
a negative , impacting the emotional self , and starting fireworks...

Ergo , embrace the balanced ego !

Pride , balanced , is not a negative...

It is knowing accomplishment in motion...

And yes we are all conduits for the information
and expression in the universe , so be happy !

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14647

I agree with that. We are born to demand - we cry and scream because we're hungry or wet or cold or too hot without a thought to inconvenience of another. We're babies geared to survive and sound is all we have to help us do that.  As we're conditioned we begin to change ( well, many of us ), to learn consideration for others, sharing, etc. That is why it's so important to have a good teacher in one's life.

Confidence is different. Knowing you have abilities and they're useful, knowing you are not the source, that it flows through us. In fact, it directly opposes that pride in me. . .

Well said.

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
AverageJoe
Average Joe. AJ. Joe
Dangerous Mind
United States 1awards
Joined 8th Sep 2019
Forum Posts: 602

Feeling more than rhyme

case28
Alexander Case
Dangerous Mind
42awards
Joined 16th June 2013
Forum Posts: 2077

Pretentious and often lazy, self-gratifying, confused, narcissistic, self indulgent...

Poetry could be considered some kind of creative release, but in no way would I consider it art... but like comedy, music, art, a mattress, chair or a bowl of porridge, it's all a matter of personal taste and opinion.

Perhaps poetry is a very old form of story telling or entertainment, structured, lyrical and rhyming to give flow and make it easier for actors and poets to recite and capture the attention of an audience.

I think the original intent of poetry was for a poem to be spoken out loud... there is something special about listening to a poet reading their poem... it gives life to something otherwise considered pretentious and often lazy, self gratifying, confused, narcissistic and self indulgent.

buddhakitty
Tyrant of Words
10awards
Joined 5th Mar 2017
Forum Posts: 50

Id, ego and super ego all come into play when creating. The subconscious mind makes loose connections-this is poetry to me

hugs,
buddhakitty.

Blackwolf
I.M.Blackwolf
Tyrant of Words
13awards
Joined 31st Mar 2018

buddhakitty said:Id, ego and super ego all come into play when creating. The subconscious mind makes loose connections-this is poetry to me

hugs,
buddhakitty.

Agreed , Buddha Kitty...well said

Go to page:
Go to: