Go to page:

things you've made

Josh
Joshua Bond
Tyrant of Words
Palestine 40awards
Joined 2nd Feb 2017
Forum Posts: 1751

Ahavati said:Well, she won't post this but I certainly will! I am in awe of this stunning, handcrafted, beaded leather bookmark I received from LunaGrayHawk! I knew it was beautiful from the photos; however, had no idea of the remarkable craftsmanship until I saw it in person!

I would place it in my favorite book; however, I'd rather display it! 🙏❤

Damn right it should have been posted -- and now is, thank you Ahahavti
Amazingly fine and accurate work -- Tell Luna not to hide her light under a bushel  

And all the best for 2023 ...

Sedic_J_Huxwell
Sedic J. Huxwell
Strange Creature
United States
Joined 21st Jan 2023
Forum Posts: 4

Thank you Josh. You can do it too. All you have to do is put your mind to it.

brokentitanium
k.
Tyrant of Words
Canada 10awards
Joined 18th Nov 2015
Forum Posts: 1172

I love seeing all the wonderful things you all make! I'm working on doing a jigsaw puzzle, but I don't think that counts...😆 The "things" I make are music, so I don't think they fit here. But they're over in The Jammin' Thread, if anyone's interested & inclined to share (or just listen to) homemade music. It's been a bit quiet over there for quite a while, so I thought I'd give it a little plug. 😊

Gahddess_Worship
Osomajestuoso
Tyrant of Words
United States 37awards
Joined 21st Aug 2013
Forum Posts: 823

brokentitanium said:I love seeing all the wonderful things you all make! I'm working on doing a jigsaw puzzle, but I don't think that counts...😆 The "things" I make are music, so I don't think they fit here. But they're over in The Jammin' Thread, if anyone's interested & inclined to share (or just listen to) homemade music. It's been a bit quiet over there for quite a while, so I thought I'd give it a little plug. 😊Thanks, K! I didn't know about the
Jam'in thread...I"ll go listen.

LunaGreyhawk
Dangerous Mind
United States 17awards
Joined 8th July 2019
Forum Posts: 889

Ahavati said:Well, she won't post this but I certainly will! I am in awe of this stunning, handcrafted, beaded leather bookmark I received from LunaGrayHawk! I knew it was beautiful from the photos; however, had no idea of the remarkable craftsmanship until I saw it in person!

I would place it in my favorite book; however, I'd rather display it! 🙏❤

Thank you, Ahavati ❤️

LunaGreyhawk
Dangerous Mind
United States 17awards
Joined 8th July 2019

Here is a kumihimo 12-strand spiral braid I made on my new hybrid marudai.  It’s going to be a necklace as soon as my pendant comes in.  

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14641

Beautiful, Luna!

Josh
Joshua Bond
Tyrant of Words
Palestine 40awards
Joined 2nd Feb 2017

LunaGreyhawk said:Here is a kumihimo 12-strand spiral braid I made on my new hybrid marudai.  It’s going to be a necklace as soon as my pendant comes in.  

Really nice , Luna. I'm intrigued on two accounts. One is what is a "hybrid marudai"? And second, how do you neatly fix a clasp onto the ends of the braid? I'm interested because I'm not good at the finishing bits (see my yoga straps on p.40 where I use kumihimo for the ends of the tablet-woven part and then bind them with that spiral macramé knotting technique). I'd like to make belts (other than tie-belts) but can't find a neat way to add buckles (metal ends). Maybe how you attach the clasp will give me an idea. Anyway, am looking forward to seeing the finished necklace.

LunaGreyhawk
Dangerous Mind
United States 17awards
Joined 8th July 2019

Thank you, Josh!  

A hybrid marudai is a firm mix between the traditional marudai and the foam discs with slots to keep track of your string (photo).  I have a small one and a large model.  I also have a very large hybrid sort of marudai that I made out of a barstool, a lazy Susan, and a knitting circle.  

I primarily make jewelry or drawstrings out of round braids, as I have very little practice with flat braids.  To finish my ends, I typically knot the end and use nylon thread and a sewing needle to sew back and forth through the end of my braid just before the knot. Then, I run the thread around the bread several times and secure it, before cutting off the knot I made.  For jewelry, I will then glue end caps onto the secured ends with epoxy and add a clasp and loop.  Hopefully that can give you some ideas.  

For flat braids, I’ve seen folks sew back and forth through the ends several times to secure them and then add a flat ribbon clasp to finish them.  Etsy also has a fine array of end caps that are made for flat cord or leather so they may also work for your needs.  

Josh
Joshua Bond
Tyrant of Words
Palestine 40awards
Joined 2nd Feb 2017

LunaGreyhawk said:Thank you, Josh!  

A hybrid marudai is a firm mix between the traditional marudai and the foam discs with slots to keep track of your string (photo).  I have a small one and a large model.  I also have a very large hybrid sort of marudai that I made out of a barstool, a lazy Susan, and a knitting circle.  

I primarily make jewelry or drawstrings out of round braids, as I have very little practice with flat braids.  To finish my ends, I typically knot the end and use nylon thread and a sewing needle to sew back and forth through the end of my braid just before the knot. Then, I run the thread around the bread several times and secure it, before cutting off the knot I made.  For jewelry, I will then glue end caps onto the secured ends with epoxy and add a clasp and loop.  Hopefully that can give you some ideas.  

For flat braids, I’ve seen folks sew back and forth through the ends several times to secure them and then add a flat ribbon clasp to finish them.  Etsy also has a fine array of end caps that are made for flat cord or leather so they may also work for your needs.  

Hello Luna,
Thank you very much for your helpful reply. The hybrid marudai looks an amazing piece of kit (my home-made marudai out of plywood can be seen on p.38). So far I've not gone above 8 strands but I can see the hybrid marudai can help one keep on track with more complex 'braiding'. I don't sew but maybe I should start gettig competent at this essential skill. Thanks again for the tips, Josh.

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
LunaGreyhawk
Dangerous Mind
United States 17awards
Joined 8th July 2019

Some tarot bags I crocheted over the past week or so 💜

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
LunaGreyhawk
Dangerous Mind
United States 17awards
Joined 8th July 2019

Thank you, Rianne!

Josh
Joshua Bond
Tyrant of Words
Palestine 40awards
Joined 2nd Feb 2017

LunaGreyhawk said:Some tarot bags I crocheted over the past week or so 💜

They look nice. Got grand-daughters coming to visit in April; do you think (aged 5 & 6) they are old enough to start learning?

Go to page:
Go to: