Go to page:

things you've made

Josh
Joshua Bond
Tyrant of Words
Palestine 40awards
Joined 2nd Feb 2017
Forum Posts: 1748

Well I did previously make a couple of experimental 'prototypes' which were Xmas presents for others ...
Here's the 'rough' side with the bark:

Josh
Joshua Bond
Tyrant of Words
Palestine 40awards
Joined 2nd Feb 2017

... and here's the 'smooth' side ...

(they were made from planking up some of our olive trees where the first cut on the milling machine cuts the bark until it's wide enough to start getting planks [for a table-top]. I was wondering what to do with these 'off-cuts' which at first sight did not seem good for anything, apart from firewood. How wrong can one be. I'm glad I hesitated and slept on it for a couple of weeks.
The trees themselves will now grow from the roots again (probably 100+ years old) and in 2-3 years we will have amazing olives from three or four new shoots which will make 'mini-olive-trees' grown from the old amazing root-system).
As an aside, this year we got 70 litres of olive oil from harvesting about 700 kgs of olives. Quite a good year.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14634

They're beautiful, Josh. I love olive wood. I have a Tibetan Mala and Rosary from Jerusalem made from it. I am so happy you saw the creation in them vs tossing them into the fire. Like Michelangelo once said:

‘I saw the angel in the marble, and carved until I set him free’.

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5573

I'm beginning to suspect Josh is a Time Traveler from the Past. Or, he's really old, yet looks incredibly well preserved. Because that's some old world craftsmanship.

Josh
Joshua Bond
Tyrant of Words
Palestine 40awards
Joined 2nd Feb 2017

Ahavati said:They're beautiful, Josh. I love olive wood. I have a Tibetan Mala and Rosary from Jerusalem made from it. I am so happy you saw the creation in them vs tossing them into the fire. Like Michelangelo once said:

‘I saw the angel in the marble, and carved until I set him free’.

Thank you -- and I like that quote -- I keep collecting bits of wood now that 'maybe' can become something else. All the best for 2022.

Josh
Joshua Bond
Tyrant of Words
Palestine 40awards
Joined 2nd Feb 2017

New geodesic frame-structure for a new greenhouse, completed 4th May 2022.
Everything made by me from basic materials, 450 metres of 'T'-bar metal (measured, cut, drilled, colour-coded over 9 differing lengths makes 375 pieces of metal weighing 750kgs+, with 150+ discs cut & drilled from 3mm galvanised sheet metal ...
... and now for 200+ triangular windows, of varying sizes ... hopefully completed in about 4 months in time for winter. Will post a pic of the completed project in the Autumn.

robert43041
Viking
Tyrant of Words
Canada 43awards
Joined 30th July 2020
Forum Posts: 918

Superb. And that will be a green house?

Josh
Joshua Bond
Tyrant of Words
Palestine 40awards
Joined 2nd Feb 2017

robert43041 said:Superb. And that will be a green house?

Yes, I have to make all the windows now.
It will look like my previous geodesic greehouse pictured above, but the new one will have twice the floor size.

Gahddess_Worship
Osomajestuoso
Tyrant of Words
United States 37awards
Joined 21st Aug 2013
Forum Posts: 823

Just saw the hangers, Josh! What a clever, beautiful idea. We already hang on your every word nw our clothes can have a Josh perch.

Josh
Joshua Bond
Tyrant of Words
Palestine 40awards
Joined 2nd Feb 2017

Gahddess_Worship said:Just saw the hangers, Josh! What a clever, beautiful idea. We already hang on your every word nw our clothes can have a Josh perch.

Hi Gahddess, Thank you for your enthusiasm.
If there's a woodyard with a wood-milling machine for slicing up tree-trunks near you, they are sure to have "first-cuts" with the bark which often are treated as firewood. You don't need a large piece to make a coat-hanger.
And it's relatively easy to do, cutting it out with a jig-saw and then sanding/shaping it with what is called here "an electric detail file-sander" (eg: https://www.amazon.com/WEN-6307-Variable-Detailing-Sander/dp/B072Q2FTLY/ref=sr_1_11?keywords=belt%2Bsander&qid=1651928850&sr=8-11&th=1)
They end up quite 'chunky, and you have to work with the splits in the wood - but that gives them a specific feature and uniqueness. The ones in the pics were from one of our olive trees I had to cut down, and then I had it milled up.
Cheers, Josh.

Tallen
earth_empath
Tyrant of Words
32awards
Joined 15th Oct 2018
Forum Posts: 2295

In my past, i once made a solar powered Dog-shit-picker-upper
because a friend of mine had just had knee surgery and had a difficult time picking up after his dog on walks.

Many of my DIY type neighbors and friends chastised me for not documenting and patenting my work.
My friend had the only prototype of which i converted an old 1950's vacuum cleaner to merge with the solar cells.

When my friend died i didn't have the heart to asked for the only prototype back (and hoped my friend's son inherited the item).

i have never lamented
and only hope that one day the product will make it to the market and others will benefit.

i wish i had taken pics but i also wish i had taken photos of the 1K Drawings/Paintings i had given away in my past, as well.

i never thought of profiting on another person's appreciation and want.

O well,
right?

Josh
Joshua Bond
Tyrant of Words
Palestine 40awards
Joined 2nd Feb 2017

deleted, double-posting.

Josh
Joshua Bond
Tyrant of Words
Palestine 40awards
Joined 2nd Feb 2017

Well, it's not all made by me but a joint meccano project with my 7-year old grandson, visiting from Switzerland.
Unfortunately the old clockwork motor broke (first time out of the family heirloom box in about 50 years) so we made a hand-wind version with simple gearing.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14634

I adore that, Josh. What an amazing experience for your grandson.

Josh
Joshua Bond
Tyrant of Words
Palestine 40awards
Joined 2nd Feb 2017

Work in progress, ... the geodesic greenhouse dome structure (pic of the metal skeletal structure posted on 5th May 2022 on this page) now  has 140 out of 200+ windows installed
Also in the background added a 27 metre pergola which hopefully in a couple of years will be an edible and aromatic walk-way experience.

Go to page:
Go to: