Go to page:

things you've made

Josh
Joshua Bond
Tyrant of Words
Palestine 40awards
Joined 2nd Feb 2017
Forum Posts: 1664

I invented and made this in my phase of making & selling hand-weaving looms.
This is my "Acrylic WarpWrapper", photographed at the Eden Project, Cornwall, where we were doing a weaving week.
I invented this loom to make tablet-weaving (sometimes known as card--weaving) easier. It is warp-weighted, using bits of copper piping with a some lead in them attached via a fishing-tackle hoop to the yarn. The brushed steel drawer-knobs on the side are used when warping up the loom. Traditionally tablet-weaving was done by fixing one end to your belt and the other to a stake in the ground - not very user-friendly, hence the invention.
The four wooden cross-pieces, hold the two sides together using the simple idea of chamfered dowel-rods, and double-up to enable weaving longer pieces by going up and over them.
Tablet-weaving is an ancient weaving technique used by the Chinese to make horse-reigns, and the Mongolians to hold together their yurts - still is. I occasionally tablet-weave tie-belts, and the odd hand-bag strap.

Josh
Joshua Bond
Tyrant of Words
Palestine 40awards
Joined 2nd Feb 2017

This is a tablet-woven strap of mine, experimenting with differing patterns. Made with hemp yarn. The middle part shows the backside of the pattern theme above it. With tablet-weaving you always get a 'smooth' side and a 'rough' side

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14145

I LOVE ancient weaves and would kill for one of those, Josh! The weave is gorgeous. I won first place ribbon at an art exhibit with my very first weaving. The judges wanted to know how long I had been weaving! LOL!

AlisVolatPropriis8
Thought Provoker
India 7awards
Joined 24th Oct 2011
Forum Posts: 322

Change dp for change

Josh
Joshua Bond
Tyrant of Words
Palestine 40awards
Joined 2nd Feb 2017

Ahavati said:I LOVE ancient weaves and would kill for one of those, Josh! The weave is gorgeous. I won first place ribbon at an art exhibit with my very first weaving. The judges wanted to know how long I had been weaving! LOL!

I'd like to have more time to get back into tablet-weaving - it's an intriguing, nicely meditative and grounding process.

I'll try an upload an even more 'ancient' weave below.

Josh
Joshua Bond
Tyrant of Words
Palestine 40awards
Joined 2nd Feb 2017

Another tablet-woven item; this time I made a belt for myself. What is interesting is the weave pattern, which is ancient Turkish, and how it was woven remained a mystery for over a century I think, until someone cracked it in the 1990s and published a book on patterns, which included this one. Mind you, I've played around with it a bit and didn't stick strictly to the repeat pattern.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14145

Josh said:Another tablet-woven item; this time I made a belt for myself. What is interesting is the weave pattern, which is ancient Turkish, and how it was woven remained a mystery for over a century I think, until someone cracked it in the 1990s and published a book on patterns, which included this one. Mind you, I've played around with it a bit and didn't stick strictly to the repeat pattern.

THAT is gorgeous!

Josh
Joshua Bond
Tyrant of Words
Palestine 40awards
Joined 2nd Feb 2017

Ahavati said:

THAT is gorgeous!

Thank you - just got to get that geodesic greenhouse finished, and then ...   :))

Wh1skeySwagger
Swagger
Fire of Insight
United States
Joined 10th Dec 2019
Forum Posts: 940

Blackwolf said:
Just my opinion , of course...

The rest of her , very well done !

Valeriyabeyond said:Excellent again Swagger the passion in this piece is on fire the yellow color you've chosen sets it off as old world good choice
I agree with BW on the dark under the chin perhaps streaking would define the grace and brawn of her neck

Thank you BW & V !!!!!!!!

Wh1skeySwagger
Swagger
Fire of Insight
United States
Joined 10th Dec 2019

Bjorne Ironside and Porunn The Shield Maiden

Wh1skeySwagger
Swagger
Fire of Insight
United States
Joined 10th Dec 2019

First sketch in the last set of the vikings series

King Ragnar Lothbrook

Wh1skeySwagger
Swagger
Fire of Insight
United States
Joined 10th Dec 2019

2nd in the set

King Ragnar Lothbrook # 2

OmenisNemo
Allie
Lost Thinker
Joined 11th June 2019
Forum Posts: 45

I composed this whimsical piece for a harpsichord and a clarinet in B during the quarantine. It is supposed to bring the essence of musical cynicism and I also played with some avant-garde cliches. aiming to make them sound even more cliche and funny.  

I'd say you can really hear the panic and chaos in it, but I'll let you be the judge of that.

Cheers to all musical creatures out there

https://soundcloud.com/alison-aurora-mahleani/sonatina

Valeriyabeyond
Dhyana
Dangerous Mind
3awards
Joined 3rd May 2020
Forum Posts: 2668

OmenisNemo said:I composed this whimsical piece for a harpsichord and a clarinet in B during the quarantine. It is supposed to bring the essence of musical cynicism and I also played with some avant-garde cliches. aiming to make them sound even more cliche and funny.  

I'd say you can really hear the panic and chaos in it, but I'll let you be the judge of that.

Cheers to all musical creatures out there

https://soundcloud.com/alison-aurora-mahleani/sonatina

Wow just wow definitely chaotic at approx 32-37 sec I felt a cynical whimsy
Another point for me was 40-46 sec wow I like the sudden/ gradual drop at the end

Blackwolf
I.M.Blackwolf
Tyrant of Words
13awards
Joined 31st Mar 2018
Forum Posts: 3572

Moon Manicism Classicism

Go to page:
Go to: