Joined 28th Nov 2019
Forum Posts: 9

This is one of my favorite pencil sketches I have done..hope you like it

Andiew
Lost Thinker
Canada
Joined 28th Nov 2019

I was commissioned to paint 3 folk art paintings last summer...this is one of them...done in acrylic on canvas

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5572

Andiew said:This is one of my favorite pencil sketches I have done..hope you like it

Great on the shading and highlighting - you have a very firm grasp of dimension.

Andiew
Lost Thinker
Canada
Joined 28th Nov 2019

Thank you so much Johnny!  I am self taught and took only a half a dozen classes. Your comment is much appreciated.

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015

Andiew said:Thank you so much Johnny!  I am self taught and took only a half a dozen classes. Your comment is much appreciated.

I have no class, but that shouldn't come as a surprise to many around here.

Andiew
Lost Thinker
Canada
Joined 28th Nov 2019

Maybe not...but....you are funny!!  lol

poet Anonymous

A couple of wood burnings (pyrography) I’ve done today. Working on some Christmas gifts. ✌🏻

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14271

LOVE pyrography and those are beautiful! The butterfly almost looks 3-D from the perspective.  Andiew, very nice control of the graphic there! I agree with Johnny on depth comprehension. The painting is Frida Khalo'esque.  

The above is a biggie entitled The Reader:  4' x 6' oil and sumi ink on canvas commissioned by the director of our local library.  The colors match her handmade quilt.  

butters
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 3awards
Joined 17th Sep 2019
Forum Posts: 868

Hi, Andiew! thanks for showing us your sketch and painting... is the guy in the sketch someone you know? the painting's bright and cheerful :D

butters
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 3awards
Joined 17th Sep 2019

JohnnyBlaze said:

I have no class, but that shouldn't come as a surprise to many around here.

butters
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 3awards
Joined 17th Sep 2019

Missy, pyrography's a great medium, especially since i love wood. nice work

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015

Ahavati said:
The above is a biggie entitled The Reader:  4' x 6' oil and sumi ink on canvas commissioned by the director of our local library.  The colors match her handmade quilt.  

Ohhhhhh! ❤

butters
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 3awards
Joined 17th Sep 2019

Aha, what can i say other than 'freakin' hell, that's just gorgeous!'? lucky library

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14271

JohnnyBlaze said:

Ohhhhhh! ❤

butters said:Aha, what can i say other than 'freakin' hell, that's just gorgeous!'? lucky library

Thanks, butters. Actually, this was for her home ( either bedroom or office - I can't remember ). However, the county purchased four pieces from a photography series/exhibition for permanent display in the library.  

Above are two of the pieces hung perfectly beside a sculpture.  They're from an exhibition entitled "Not an Exit".  I photographed abandoned mills in the county - then scoured Lewis Hines photos of child labor in the 30's, and actually discovered he'd been to that very county and photographed kids in those very mills.  So I superimposed the images of the children onto the mills they'd actually worked at 80-100 years ago.  

I have very few pieces of that exhibit left - it all scattered to the wind when purchased by various cities, offices, and homes.  

These are 18 x 24 gallery wrapped canvas - so that should give you an idea of how big the sculpture is.

butters
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 3awards
Joined 17th Sep 2019

artists light the world, in all their forms

i really like the pictures, not so keen on the sculpture but maybe i'd prefer it in the flesh. i'm more a wood/glass kind of person than galvanized metal. still, did you hear about the banana that--duct-taped to a wall--fetched $120,000 at Miami's Art Basel? now to me, that's just nuts.

Go to page:
Go to: