Page:

Criticising DU

David_Macleod
Tyrant of Words
United Kingdom 39awards
Joined 5th Nov 2014
Forum Posts: 2983

Should this be a members right?

Are opinions of members even sought or considered?

Are complaints handled with natural justice for all?

Do some people seem to have special treatment?

Should we complain and do we feel they are listened to?

should we just stay quiet in the background?

Should grievances only be dealt with in private or should they be in public?

should we be allowed to name and shame with evidence?

This is your chance to vent until the thread gets locked or certain posts get hidden. It would be good if people answer this thread not only with grievances but also coupled with potential solutions. I do not want to create  a negative thread just to allow members to air their complaints in public suggesting potential resolutions

So as time allows "FILL YOUR BOOTS"

Viddax
Lord Viddax
Guardian of Shadows
United Kingdom 31awards
Joined 10th Oct 2009
Forum Posts: 6672

It is hard to claim to not want to create a negative thread, yet in the same sentence only use the word 'complaints' in reference to members comments/responses.

1. Every member has the right to criticise DU, but it is their responsibility that the criticism has some value and merit. - Not just a complaint of something that cannot be done.

2. Opinions of members are often sought and even encouraged: hence the creation of groups to give people the proper area to voice their opinion. Opinions are often considered in any change.

3. Complaints are handled with the appropriate justice; justice is a right to all but the same justice will not be sought or dispensed universally. The punishment will fit the crime.

4. The quirks of individuals and how it is handled can seem like 'special treatment' without the full picture; action is done with a universal basis but tailored for each person in respect of their individual nature.

5. Complain when appropriate; only other members can answer the second part.

6. Evil thrives when the good do nothing, apathy and ignorance do not solve or help any situation.

7. Shaming and naming can grant a perverse glory to the 'bad' that some actively seek to bask in.

8. Even overwhelming evidence is not a warrant to name and shame: consign to oblivion and the forgotten the guilty.

David_Macleod
Tyrant of Words
United Kingdom 39awards
Joined 5th Nov 2014

....... oops

David_Macleod
Tyrant of Words
United Kingdom 39awards
Joined 5th Nov 2014

Viddax said:It is hard to claim to not want to create a negative thread, yet in the same sentence only use the word 'complaints' in reference to members comments/responses.

I do not claim to want to create a negative thread - It is simply a fact. Hence what you seem to want to ignore is pivotal. Twice I asked for members to offer potential solutions to their particular problem.

It was good that you expressed one man's opinion with very valid opinions. However, why did you hide the thread? This has happened now on at least three occasions making it clear that expressing an opinion about DU is not allowed, or did you specifically target my thread because it was me?

As to the hiding of the threads. I complained about the previous only to be told they hadn't been hidden. But in effect they had been - They had been banned from appearing on the "Latest Forum Discussions" listing and updates and comments do not appear. I effect you buried the thread. People are responsible for the actions they take as is true of the previous encounters. So the question remains why bury the thread?

MadameLavender
Guardian of Shadows
United States 86awards
Joined 17th Feb 2013
Forum Posts: 5594

David_Macleod said:
I do not want to create  a negative thread just to allow members to air their complaints in public

But that's just what you've done, by definition of the thread itself, "Criticising DU ", because to criticize is : "To indicate the faults of (someone or something) in a disapproving way, to censure or find fault with, judge unfavorably or harshly."

David_Macleod said:

This is your chance to vent until the thread gets locked or certain posts get hidden.

So you anticipate negativity here, which would get posts removed and the thread, locked---so why keep going down these roads, under the guise of creating a situation that sort of looks like it's meant for the greater good, but which you know will eventually end up in a shit-storm of the usual feud between members, thus giving opportunity to get in a few zingers to the opposing parties and keep the wounds open?

As a former mod, David, you know very well the ongoing issues that need dealing with here, and frankly, I'm disappointed that you have involvement in them.  So let's all cut the crap, be respectful of one another and learn how to co-exist with people and things you (collective, you) don't necessarily agree with.  Not everything's your cup of tea, but sometimes we all just gotta play nice in the sandbox,  so here you go---locking this thread per your own suggestion.

Page:
Go to: