Go to page:

casseroles - why is it something lost in translation?

butters
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 3awards
Joined 17th Sep 2019
Forum Posts: 868

the difference between a brit casserole and an american one is like the bloody grand canyon

is it a historical thing, more to do with lack of variety/meat/ingredients that made american casseroles so different? they seem to be mostly ANY thing (from green beans to macaroni cheese) with little fluid at all, topped with a load of breadcrumbs/something that'll crunch up a bit and cheese... always the cheese

a brit casserole is more like a less gravy-fied stew, but it's still 'wet'

from a brit still coming to terms with american cuisine

p.s his ma'am's chicken enchiladas are to die for (in a good way) and american 'biscuits' are so damned good and not like a scone, not really

Eerie
Dangerous Mind
14awards
Joined 29th July 2018
Forum Posts: 890

I would be curious to know if “casserole” became a catch-all term in the States for people stirring random foods together and baking it. I have eaten an abundant variety of casserole (because potlucks were really popular when I was a kid and EVERY WOMAN BROUGHT A CASSEROLE) and there really doesn’t seem to be any rhyme or reason to it.
I’m interested in your less gravy stew. Does it come tucked inside a hot water crust pastry pie?

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 14457

We've a thing called Coddle. basically :  water, sausages, rashers, potatoes,

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/dublin-coddle-51224810

nothing great to look at, but nice enough, in fairness. also like the old British Toad in the hole

poet Anonymous

We have something similar called lobbies 👌🏻

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14587

Eerie said:I would be curious to know if “casserole” became a catch-all term in the States for people stirring random foods together and baking it. I have eaten an abundant variety of casserole (because potlucks were really popular when I was a kid and EVERY WOMAN BROUGHT A CASSEROLE) and there really doesn’t seem to be any rhyme or reason to it.
I’m interested in your less gravy stew. Does it come tucked inside a hot water crust pastry pie?

Actually, original casseroles were typically some type of veggie, or veggies with a starchy binder.  Having lived in England for 7 years I find the American much less dense than the British!  And by dense I mean ingredient-wise as Craic mentioned above.  Maybe I've just always had an aversion to heavy meals, and remember the British as shepherd's/meat-type stews ( which is a different ballgame than casserole ).  Being a vegetarian, the American was refreshing and seemed much lighter.  

Take macaroni and cheese, for example, though it's just macaroni and cheese, it can be very tasty and creamy when you know how to prepare it. If it's dry it wasn't made right.  Also, a various blend of cheeses kicks up the flavor.  Lastly, you can throw whatever in there - if you love cheese and broccoli, this casserole is perfect for broccoli.  Add a few cloves of garlic and it's top notch. Anything but bland mac & cheese. So, yeah, Americans perfect it per individual taste - there are certainly no limits when it comes to casseroles here.

Well, except maybe the kitchen sink.

dartford
Paul S...
Tyrant of Words
United Kingdom 29awards
Joined 13th June 2013
Forum Posts: 249

Irish stew, Welsh cawl, Lancashire hot pot,
bangers and mash, toad in the hole ..
our winter diet      :)

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14587

dartford said:Irish stew, Welsh cawl, Lancashire hot pot,
bangers and mash, toad in the hole ..
our winter diet      :)

That's what I remember whilst living over there!  Casserole over here seems a side dish compared to that.

dartford
Paul S...
Tyrant of Words
United Kingdom 29awards
Joined 13th June 2013
Forum Posts: 249

yeah, but i guess the size of your burgers
has us beat ..

butters
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 3awards
Joined 17th Sep 2019

Ahavati said:

That's what I remember whilst living over there!  Casserole over here seems a side dish compared to that.
uuh huh... it's the main part of the meal. we do a lot less 'sides' in the uk; the main meal is the main meal, with other stuff served up on the plate with it rather than a bunch of side dishes -- except maybe at xmas, when we DO a bunch of sides served in separate bowls.

if i do a curry here, i'll serve the rice with the curry on top/next to it, with a couple of extras for dipping, like flatbreads and raita and chutney... but his ma'am still likes a side of salad with it or most hot meals, to be honest. spaghetti bolognese, with a salad? freakin' weird.

butters
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 3awards
Joined 17th Sep 2019

Eerie said:I would be curious to know if “casserole” became a catch-all term in the States for people stirring random foods together and baking it. I have eaten an abundant variety of casserole (because potlucks were really popular when I was a kid and EVERY WOMAN BROUGHT A CASSEROLE) and there really doesn’t seem to be any rhyme or reason to it.
https://www.greatbritishchefs.com/collections/casserole-recipes

a few recipes to give you an idea.
basically, the difference between a stew and a casserole (brit) is a stew's cooked with the heat-source below, a casserole's cooked with it all around. they're often topped off with sliced potatoes or something a bit like an american biscuit crossed with a dumpling on top, soaking up gravy deliciousness. i reserve proper dumplings for stew and lamb mince (ground lamb) dumplings are to. die. for.

being as britain's usually pretty wet and cold in the winter months, we are good at stick-to-yer-ribs food.

mysteriouslady
Tyrant of Words
United States 15awards
Joined 11th Aug 2012
Forum Posts: 2456

what in all good heaven....I LOVE food. and why have I not heard of some of this yumminess!?  

Blackwolf
I.M.Blackwolf
Tyrant of Words
13awards
Joined 31st Mar 2018
Forum Posts: 3572

Britain is mild weather compared to Northern California

Forty days of solid rain in a row where I was living , thirty degrees to forty max ,
during winter months , or less...

I Am Casseroles = 603

Our number value for our column of symbols that makes the skeletal or muscular
system of the human body , thus the idea of stick to your ribs meaning...

The idea of a casserole has little to do with liquid...it has to do with a pasty type dish...

I have made casseroles with all kinds of tasty noodles , layered with various cheeses
and meats from various fish , chicken , and turkey , lamb , beef , pork , or venison ,
with various sauces , or not...those who do not understand our methods of layering
or mixing flavors , and tastes , or styles of the mastery of food magick , can not at all
appreciate our efforts...

Until they taste our excellent creations !

butters
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 3awards
Joined 17th Sep 2019

Blackwolf said:Britain is mild weather compared to Northern California

Forty days of solid rain in a row where I was living , thirty degrees to forty max ,
during winter months , or less...

I Am Casseroles = 603

Our number value for our column of symbols that makes the skeletal or muscular
system of the human body , thus the idea of stick to your ribs meaning...

The idea of a casserole has little to do with liquid...it has to do with a pasty type dish...

I have made casseroles with all kinds of tasty noodles , layered with various cheeses
and meats from various fish , chicken , and turkey , lamb , beef , pork , or venison ,
with various sauces , or not...those who do not understand our methods of layering
or mixing flavors , and tastes , or styles of the mastery of food magick , can not at all
appreciate our efforts...

Until they taste our excellent creations !
indeed, britain's relatively temperate, though scotland has some pretty rugged weather lying that much farther north and away from the warming effects of the  gulf stream which keeps the south of britain a lot milder.

oh, i wasn't knocking the flavours and (often) yumminess of the actual food, just the confusion over it being called a casserole. guess it's just a different thing in whichever country you eat it, the actual dish and method of cooking in the oven as opposed to on top of it being the determining factor.

Blackwolf
I.M.Blackwolf
Tyrant of Words
13awards
Joined 31st Mar 2018

And cooking it in the oven "is"  the determining factor of a "casserole"...

We would never think of anything but that , if using that name...

Anything else would be given a different name , if "properly" addressed...😎

Blackwolf
I.M.Blackwolf
Tyrant of Words
13awards
Joined 31st Mar 2018

To assist in the understanding of what a casserole is , and how it is defined and prepared ;

It is NEVER a stovetop dish ;

A casserole (French: diminutive of casse, from Provençal cassa 'pan'[1]) is a large, deep pan used both in the oven and as a serving vessel. The word is also used for the food cooked and served in such a vessel, and, if so, the cookware itself is called a "casserole dish" or "casserole pan".

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Go to page:
Go to: