Format for POEM OF THE MONTH?

66.67% • 14 votes • A. One winner in a given month, that poet cannot win again in the calendar, and should not be nominated until the next year.
19.05% • 4 votes • B. Any poet can win in the given month, and poets can multiple times per year.
14.29% • 3 votes • C. Choice A or B with the addendum that least three competitions set aside for new poets and or those with less than 10 wins
Total votes: 21
Only members can vote. Not a member? Sign Up Now

Go to page:

Format for POEM OF THE MONTH?

butters
butters
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom
1awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 17th Sep 2019
Forum Posts: 691

Layla said:

As my above reply to yours Ms. Butters i personally don't participate in voting when i nominate a poem.
Having said that, i don't nominate every month,  i've been here a little over a year, i've only nominated two times and both of those times i didn't vote to not give a vote away to anothe poem, since i did favor my nominations more.

But each to their own.

:flowers:

Ahavati
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
75awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 3716

Layla said:your nomination itself is considered 'a vote', basically you're showcasing it for others to see and find an agreement with your choice.

Actually it's not. The automated system registers the entry as your own when the competition goes anonymous; thus you cannot vote for your own poem.  

I have long been irked by this anonymity thingie, but it is what it is.

Tallen
Tallen
earth_empath
Tyrant of Words
20awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 15th Oct 2018
Forum Posts: 1148

butters said:no, you have a very valid point, Tallen; not everyone has the luxury of time. some days i have more than others, and i get that people might not have seen the pieces nominated. hell, if i liked a poem better i'd not seen before i'd vote for that. it's not about WHO wrote it, not for me, it's about the quality of the poem.

Appreciate the comeback, here.

Poem of the month for us need not be about who we like the most or who we support or our friends

just fuckin' incredible poetry that resonates
with all of us involved in the comp and who volunteer to read and judge.

I never felt poorly when i voted for another spill
other than the 2 i submitted  

LobodeSanPedro
LobodeSanPedro
Guardian of Shadows
Sierra Leone
109awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 16th Apr 2013
Forum Posts: 3290

... those poems omitted from Octoberís contest will be reviewed to make sure only the work of prior winners and self nominated work were the only things that were disallowed.  

David_Macleod
David_Macleod
David Macleod
Tyrant of Words
United Kingdom
39awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 5th Nov 2014
Forum Posts: 2254

LobodeSanPedro said:... those poems omitted from Octoberís contest will be reviewed to make sure only the work of prior winners and self nominated work were the only things that were disallowed.  

Would it not be a better idea to keep prior winners nominations but to disable the voting???

Brando
Brando
Brandon Hursell
Thought Provoker
United States
Joined 25th Nov 2018
Forum Posts: 257

Ahavati said:I'm for a separate "Discovery of the Month" myself.  The Poem of the Month should not be complicated. The more rules that are changed and/or added transforms something historically pleasant and fun into a total nightmare. Let's just return to the way it was ( sans the anonymity aspect unless it can be feasibly addressed ) and let it be.

There is so MUCH room for more, e.g. - Discovery of the Month, Spoken Word of the Month, Whatever of the Month. This would also be more members and content to feature across the networks.  Why stuff so much into one which has always been pleasant and drama-free ( until now ), when there is so much room for more?

Just my two cents.

Iím all for multiple categories. It works in cycling.
The jerseys is really the only thing I like about cycling. And blood doping. Itís wrong, I donít think itís scientifically proven, but it sounds like something the ancient Aztecs or someone would do before going into battle. God help us if they start eating chihuahuas.

Anyway, democracy is a rush, huh?!!

Brando
Brando
Brandon Hursell
Thought Provoker
United States
Joined 25th Nov 2018

butters said:one last comment (whinge) :p

so how many of us here, as nominators, voted for something other than we'd nominated?  if you did, was it because you thought it a better poem that you'd missed before, or hadn't you gone looking much and so missed it anyway?

Iíve voted for ones I havenít nominated. Could be because I didnít find (not from a lack of trying), or correct me if Iím wrong, but is it possible that something could be written after youíve nominated already?
Is that an issue, when something is written/posted vs it being nominated in the correct month? There is some overlap, yeah?
Dios mio.

Ahavati
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Brando said:

Iím all for multiple categories. It works in cycling.
The jerseys is really the only thing I like about cycling. And blood doping. Itís wrong, I donít think itís scientifically proven, but it sounds like something the ancient Aztecs or someone would do before going into battle. God help us if they start eating chihuahuas.

Anyway, democracy is a rush, huh?!!

Inclusivity is very important.  Yep- trip'n out here.

Brando
Brando
Brandon Hursell
Thought Provoker
United States
Joined 25th Nov 2018

Sorry, Iím in a weird mood. But seriously, I think the idea for having multiple comps is best.

Miss_Sub
Miss_Sub
- Missy -
Tyrant of Words
United Kingdom
98awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 26th June 2011
Forum Posts: 8225

To re-write a famous quote:

We were all writers

before ego disconnected us
differences separated us
competitions divided us
and trophies classified us

Ahavati
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Brando said:Sorry, Iím in a weird mood. But seriously, I think the idea for having multiple comps is best.

Don't apologize; it was funny.  

And, it absolutely is the best idea, hands down.  Sure beats the hell out of cramming everything into one.  It would be inclusive of more members and genres.  But no. . .that's too easy ( for certain members ).

Brando
Brando
Brandon Hursell
Thought Provoker
United States
Joined 25th Nov 2018

Miss_Sub said:To re-write a famous quote:

We were all writers

differences separated us
competitions divided us

I feel that if everyone can go into it with the mindset of a reader, and not a writer, the exact opposite outcome is possible.
We should all be both, yes? And they are two very separate things.
Then, be a writer again after. No problem.

Miss_Sub
Miss_Sub
- Missy -
Tyrant of Words
United Kingdom
98awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 26th June 2011
Forum Posts: 8225

... They are both separate things?

... Smh.

Ahavati
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Miss_Sub said:Honestly, three nominations or not, Missy no longer cares.

https://youtu.be/vsa1ZvzFgvU

Miss_Sub said:To re-write a famous quote:

We were all writers

differences separated us
competitions divided us

Miss_Sub said:... They are both separate things?

... Smh.

For someone who doesn't give a fuck, you sure have a lot to say.

Smh.

Brando
Brando
Brandon Hursell
Thought Provoker
United States
Joined 25th Nov 2018

Miss_Sub said:... They are both separate things?

... Smh.

Did I misspeak?

Go to page:
Go to: