Format for POEM OF THE MONTH?

66.67% • 14 votes • A. One winner in a given month, that poet cannot win again in the calendar, and should not be nominated until the next year.
19.05% • 4 votes • B. Any poet can win in the given month, and poets can multiple times per year.
14.29% • 3 votes • C. Choice A or B with the addendum that least three competitions set aside for new poets and or those with less than 10 wins
Total votes: 21
Only members can vote. Not a member? Sign Up Now

Go to page:

Format for POEM OF THE MONTH?

David_Macleod
David_Macleod
David Macleod
Tyrant of Words
United Kingdom
39awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 5th Nov 2014
Forum Posts: 2301

again I agree - two people with different perspectives might take out any bias


lepperochan
lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
65awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 12976

I really dont think there was any bias involved here. I think the enemy was time

Ahavati
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
77awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 3828

lepperochan said:I understand,  but I think two people can inject energy and creativity into it, come up with ideas and such

That said, if one person can do it, I'm ok with that too. I'd love to see this resolved. it wont take much


Nope; just one person to step up and volunteer - I would love to see someone new take up the torch.  And I don't mean new in the specific sense that they are new members - I mean new in site leadership and comps. It would be a refreshing infusion.

David_Macleod
David_Macleod
David Macleod
Tyrant of Words
United Kingdom
39awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 5th Nov 2014
Forum Posts: 2301

as long as comps remain transparent

lepperochan
lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
65awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 12976

Agreed. the numbers are semantics I guess. my gut tells me two is a team, but I wouldn't discount one's ability either, in fairness

Poetryman
Poetryman
Tyrant of Words
United States
29awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 14th Aug 2011
Forum Posts: 1502

Where can I find the actual poem of the month page. I have looked under every heading I could find but can't find it anywhere. I tried using the search box but that seems to be for off dup sites.
I ask because I went to edit one of my poems and it came up with a box that said it would also modify my poem on the poem of the month page. Well that was a surprise. I had no idea my poem was selected for poem of the month back in September. I got no notification that I am aware of. I'm not really sure if I was, but it seemed to suggest my poem was. So how do I find this elusive page?

JJ

Umm
Umm
Fire of Insight
Latvia
  profile   poems   message
Joined 6th Dec 2015
Forum Posts: 1516

butters said:on purpose? if so, then mods should step in privately to address this out of the public eye, but post some update of how the issue is being resolved. in my opinion, that fosters a more respectful and public face of a site.

edit: any site i ran or modded at would not have dealt with things this way. attention of deliberate wrong-doing would be brought to the moderators&then admin's attention and if there WAS DELIBERATE wrongdoing, steps would have been taken. *shrugs* doing this out here is messy and offputting to newcomers.


Ah, yet another "when I was a mod" spiel xD

DU is different than most other sites. The thought of it being run by certain people on here who seem hungry to do so... *shudders*

..as you can see by Lepps recent posts, he's pretty awesome and only wants what's best for DU :)

LobodeSanPedro
LobodeSanPedro
Guardian of Shadows
Sierra Leone
109awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 16th Apr 2013
Forum Posts: 3294

I'm glad to see everyone has taken the time to express their viewpoints on how this competition should move forward in the year to come.  I didn't feel the need or urgency to reply on every single post, as some of the discussion just moved way off topic  ... I'll try to address what I see as the key elements of why this thread was started:

Firstly, while I would have like to have seen a greater number of votes on the topic, the numbers don't lie.  65% of those who voted feel the competition should allow for a poet to win once a year for a submitted poem.  

Secondly, self nominations should not be allowed.  This site hosts over 200 competitions a year, most of which are formatted for the writer to submit their own work.  The beauty of this competition, in it's creation (thank you Ahavati) was that it challenged us as READERS to find and acknowledge the outstanding literary work of other members.  The downside of the competition however is that because it's not a writing challenge per se, it's digressed into a bit of popularity contest.  With that I would suggest thirdly, as mentioned by another member in the thread, that DUP members only be allowed to make one nomination per month .

The three aforementioned guidelines will help maintain a streamlined nomination and voting process.

Fourthly @ CRAIC ... I have NO PROBLEMS moving this comp into the hands of another for oversight.  If you're up for it, December 2019 and 2020 are yours.

I would caution this however, as I did see the suggestion of maybe two people running it, that's great but - I hope it remains a public vote competition otherwise it will regress into something far from it's original  intention.

@butters ... my deepest apologies to you for hiding a poem that was the work of an artist who was not a previous winner.  I'm still not sure what happened there, but clearly an indication that I need to move on from this competition as it needs fresher and more devoted eyes.  And thank you for public expression for my well being in all this ... although I only function on about 3 - 4 hours of sleep a day - it's all good things so I don't complain, and I don't whine ... just grind.

Cheers and ...

Thanks to all who offered meaningful suggestions for this comp going forward.

JohnnyBlaze
JohnnyBlaze
Dangerous Mind
United States
16awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 1565

LobodeSanPedro said:I'm glad to see everyone has taken the time to express their viewpoints on how this competition should move forward in the year to come.  I didn't feel the need or urgency to reply on every single post, as some of the discussion just moved way off topic  ... I'll try to address what I see as the key elements of why this thread was started:

Firstly, while I would have like to have seen a greater number of votes on the topic, the numbers don't lie.  65% of those who voted feel the competition should allow for a poet to win once a year for a submitted poem.  

Secondly, self nominations should not be allowed.  This site hosts over 200 competitions a year, most of which are formatted for the writer to submit their own work.  The beauty of this competition, in it's creation (thank you Ahavati) was that it challenged us as READERS to find and acknowledge the outstanding literary work of other members.  The downside of the competition however is that because it's not a writing challenge per se, it's digressed into a bit of popularity contest.  With that I would suggest thirdly, as mentioned by another member in the thread, that DUP members only be allowed to make one nomination per month .

The three aforementioned guidelines will help maintain a streamlined nomination and voting process.

Fourthly @ CRAIC ... I have NO PROBLEMS moving this comp into the hands of another for oversight.  If you're up for it, December 2019 and 2020 are yours.

I would caution this however, as I did see the suggestion of maybe two people running it, that's great but - I hope it remains a public vote competition otherwise it will regress into something far from it's original  intention.

@butters ... my deepest apologies to you for hiding a poem that was the work of an artist who was not a previous winner.  I'm still not sure what happened there, but clearly an indication that I need to move on from this competition as it needs fresher and more devoted eyes.  And thank you for public expression for my well being in all this ... although I only function on about 3 - 4 hours of sleep a day - it's all good things so I don't complain, and I don't whine ... just grind.

Cheers and ...

Thanks to all who offered meaningful suggestions for this comp going forward.


Glad to hear there was a reason for the missing yet qualifying poems and that they weren't hidden because of your own personal preferences as was publicly suggested.

Some of us can relate to the lack of sleep issue; I seem to need an elephant sized dose of melatonin to get more than 3 - 4 hours of sleep these days myself.

Shit falls through the cracks. Ahavati and I get it. Very forthcoming of you to admit so.

lepperochan said:


there was a poem in there which was very close to me . I didn't expect it to win, but I did expected it to be taken unto consideration

same as I expected others to be taken into consideration. At least three entries were swept aside for reasons which can only point to personal, with absolutely no remorse, even though they fell with in the guidelines


gonna say, if the host had bouts feelings which allow him to pick and choose who goes and who stays regardless of the rules then we need a new host


Yeah, I reacted to what was said. Sue me.

Umm said:

Ah, yet another "when I was a mod" spiel xD

DU is different than most other sites. The thought of it being run by certain people on here who seem hungry to do so... *shudders*

..as you can see by Lepps recent posts, he's pretty awesome and only wants what's best for DU :)


I'm sure you have nothing to worry about. Most people around here are actually busy reading, commenting on and contributing their own poetry as opposed to shaking their poms poms and running interference.

Ahavati said:

It's exactly slating what he's actually done, and exactly what Johnny meant by public lynching.

slate
/slāt/
Learn to pronounce
verb
gerund or present participle: slating
1.
cover (something, especially a roof) with slates.
2.
INFORMAL•BRITISH

criticize severely.


Thank you!

Jeezus .... good thing I didn't say "public castration" ......

LMFAO

lepperochan
lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
65awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 12976

Cheers Lobo,  wouldn't be up for it myself. p'raps a volunteer might show him/her self and we can clear it with the webmiss

Blaze, if theres anything untrue in the bold of your quotes please put me straight.

Mods are tight,, theres no bickering or otherwise bad feelings. am happy to be part of it

again, if theres someone who thinks they can take on the comp, please come forward




and thanks, Umm.  you're pretty awesome yourself

lepperochan
lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
65awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 12976

Poetryman said:Where can I find the actual poem of the month page. I have looked under every heading I could find but can't find it anywhere. I tried using the search box but that seems to be for off dup sites.
I ask because I went to edit one of my poems and it came up with a box that said it would also modify my poem on the poem of the month page. Well that was a surprise. I had no idea my poem was selected for poem of the month back in September. I got no notification that I am aware of. I'm not really sure if I was, but it seemed to suggest my poem was. So how do I find this elusive page?

JJ






You'll have to go to competition hall of fame, it's where the comps go when their finished.  If you click on comps, should be a link at the top

JohnnyBlaze
JohnnyBlaze
Dangerous Mind
United States
16awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 1565

lepperochan said:Cheers Lobo,  wouldn't be up for it myself. p'raps a volunteer might show him/her self and we can clear it with the webmiss

Blaze, if theres anything untrue in the bold of your quotes please put me straight.

Mods are tight,, theres no bickering or otherwise bad feelings. am happy to be part of it

again, if theres someone who thinks they can take on the comp, please come forward




and thanks, Umm.  you're pretty awesome yourself


As always, I'll let your own words continue to speak for themselves.

Cheers.

Ahavati
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
77awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 3828

LobodeSanPedro said:

[. . .] The beauty of this competition, in it's creation (thank you Ahavati) was that it challenged us as READERS to find and acknowledge the outstanding literary work of other members.  
[. . .]
Thanks to all who offered meaningful suggestions for this comp going forward.


You're most welcome, SanPedro. thank you for accepting the torch for this comp, and thank you for passing it to someone who can devote the time it requires to make it successful.  I appreciate your dedication and commitment to DU.  

lepperochan[b said:]Cheers Lobo,  wouldn't be up for it myself. p'raps a volunteer might show him/her self and we can clear it with the webmiss [/b]

[ . . .]

again, if theres someone who thinks they can take on the comp, please come forward


Love it!    Giddy to see who will step up!

The Original 'Poem of the Month Hall of Fame', which I hope the new host/ess will restore to its rightful place; or, at least include the name of rightful winners in the winner's list.  Some legendary members who have since moved on.

https://deepundergroundpoetry.com/forum/speakeasy/read/9271/#373412

Umm
Umm
Fire of Insight
Latvia
  profile   poems   message
Joined 6th Dec 2015
Forum Posts: 1516

lepperochan said:

Mods are tight,, theres no bickering or otherwise bad feelings. am happy to be part of it

again, if theres someone who thinks they can take on the comp, please come forward



and thanks, Umm.  you're pretty awesome yourself


Thank you. 😋🥰😇


lepperochan
lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
65awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 12976

Hullo, I'm happy to announce a dedicated member has put herself forward. I've sent relevant stuff to the mods and seconded her nomination

still need input from webmiss but I think we can move on handy enough

Go to page:
Go to: