Format for POEM OF THE MONTH?

66.67% • 14 votes • A. One winner in a given month, that poet cannot win again in the calendar, and should not be nominated until the next year.
19.05% • 4 votes • B. Any poet can win in the given month, and poets can multiple times per year.
14.29% • 3 votes • C. Choice A or B with the addendum that least three competitions set aside for new poets and or those with less than 10 wins
Total votes: 21
Only members can vote. Not a member? Sign Up Now

Go to page:

Format for POEM OF THE MONTH?

Layla
Fire of Insight
7awards
Joined 3rd May 2018
Forum Posts: 1216

As I kept watching that comp in voting, and checking again and again, the page count, the entries....to see if anything is being restored, or the one poem that was nominated 3 times ...seemed like nothing was really done!  It stayed as is, uneven, incomplete.
I honestly thought it would disappear, checked carefully, to be restored at least to original nominations and retried the voting process again but it was kept on.

Now we have a winner and all the good people of Du is congratz'ing her and some of us are wondering what the hell kind of fair, even and balanced way did this happen?!  lol
The winner is much loved, regarded and respected part of the community, whom I follow myself, and well deserving but in context of a lot of greatness missing was that the best one in the bunch to be chosen, when only handful was offered to the public ???

And my nomination was not just hidden but it was actually eliminated completely cause when I went to Soul's poem, there was no 'shared 1' status beneath the poem which made  me realize that it wasn't just hidden but deleted completely which meant no chance of restoring even if there was such effort.  

That's when i came back to this thread and tried to see if i missed something in the conversations but there it was in lobo's words that the comp was going to be looked at and restored..but i believe nothing as such took place.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14145

Layla, unless something has changed, a moderator cannot delete a post; they can only hide it.  So, perhaps the share button reverts to 0 when a post is hidden.  

Edit: I congratulated the winners because it wasn't their error - and I didnt feel they should be penalized for another's.  This is the first PotM she has won - I hate that it's tainted with discord.   Rightfully, I could be just as upset: I had nominations hidden, and poems of mine that were nominated were hidden without violating the guidelines of the competition. But, I have learned it does no good, particularly to myself, to hold onto such animosity.  

I spoke my mind and let it go.  Hopefully it won't happen again.

Layla
Fire of Insight
7awards
Joined 3rd May 2018

ok, Thats cool Ahavati, i appreciate some light on the subject..perhaps the mechanics of how certain feature is not properly understood by the common folks here on this side of Du.
Then respectfully i'd like to ask the host to show us what did he really restore??

Because honestly, i was watching and checking that comp on daily basis to see if anything was changed and nothing, zero, zilch was restored or removed  'cough' akhm: 3 poems of the same still showed by the time a winner was announced.  
As for my nomination, only two people can delete..myself and the host.  
By me only before it goes voting and i know for a fact i never did such thing.
By the host...the probability is on the money.

summultima
uma
Dangerous Mind
India 34awards
Joined 3rd Feb 2012
Forum Posts: 1301

Ahavati said:

Hahahaha! I was wondering that myself, Rob. While those with alternate profiles are required to list them - those who keep leaving and returning under different ones are not required to divulge who they previously were. Its a grey area. . .

That's a valid point raised by Rob...n yes, not jus you but many would be wondering the same...not juz a grey area, not juz returning poets after a break .. but sorry to say..that  multiple profiling anonymities (wud say this henchforth as MPA)  is one serious issue that has potential doomsday enormities to discourage n drive away even most promising du poets who consider this a poetic abode.... poets are not juz word mechatronic machines to juz churn out poems n accolades n read n comment soullessly...its a sharing caring listening bonds in faith n love n depths... and but such MPA n its illintentions only fastly erode eat away the whole poetic heart n soul of this site...had always been a staunch voice against MPA in my poetic writes n interactions here..n will BE so ..to save n thrive dui n my own possible way , du being my poetic abode where i adore bond with lotza precious souls ..even in silence if not in follows n comments...

And of course sorry to say, whether its pertinent or not here...am NOT  gonna support the New Poet of the Month thread..until n unless MPA n such ghostly issues are taken care of...which are persistent blatantly here (sorry i FEEL this strongly..n dunn ask me to prove this..had even gone to the stigmatic extent of unfollowing many n not interacting poetically with lotz here as i used to be earlier.. juz me poets, not attacking anyone by name here ); there has been suggestions before in many threads n would say that again... why not each account of poet be identified by their IP address?  

coming back to POM format... i feel the focus  should be all about a POEM n not its POET.... so why so much fuss in which what poets being nominated.. can the comp be modified to award a poem than juz a name ?

.... cos strongly feels each n every poet whether new or old keep breathing each Now as New amidst struggles n deaths..n therez lot of discovery n rediscovery to be in a continuum in each n every poetic soul n life to be read n listened to ...also this confirms to that poetry is a timeless spaceless eternity like love...n any truth of a poem cud be revisited n-times for its newness ever.. ..whatever be the poet..old or new...

juz my blabbers above, sorry du's for being so loong n ungrammatical often in spells n verses  Light n Love my Poetic Souls x

Layla
Fire of Insight
7awards
Joined 3rd May 2018

And that's exactly why i stayed away from the comp after it was announced.  
It's not her fault and she does deserve a win but not like this!

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 14449

I think, going forward we need a host of this competition who can give 100% to running it. someone who is unbiest  and uncomfortable hiding entries which meet criteria

there was a handful of poems hidden from the voting process, when flagged by members  no actual answers were forthcoming

poems which clearly fell foul of the criteria were kept and some of those within the parameters were hidden

there was probably a heartfelt apology  but I missed it

#trying to be prxctal

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

summultima said:

That's a valid point raised by Rob...n yes, not jus you but many would be wondering the same...not juz a grey area, not juz returning poets after a break .. but sorry to say..that  multiple profiling anonymities (wud say this henchforth as MPA)  is one serious issue that has potential doomsday enormities to discourage n drive away even most promising du poets who consider this a poetic abode.... poets are not juz word mechatronic machines to juz churn out poems n accolades n read n comment soullessly...its a sharing caring listening bonds in faith n love n depths... and but such MPA n its illintentions only fastly erode eat away the whole poetic heart n soul of this site...had always been a staunch voice against MPA in my poetic writes n interactions here..n will BE so ..to save n thrive duin my own possible way , du being my poetic abode where i adore bond with lotza precious souls ..even in silence if not in follows n comments...

And of course sorry to say, whether its pertinent or not here...am NOT  gonna support the New Poet of the Month thread..until n unless MPA n such ghostly issues are taken care of...which are persistent blatantly here (sorry i FEEL this strongly..n dunn ask me to prove this..had even gone to the stigmatic extent of unfollowing many n not interacting poetically with lotz here as i used to be earlier.. juz me poets, not attacking anyone by name here ); there has been suggestions before in many threads n would say that again... why not each account of poet be identified by their IP address?  

coming back to POM format... i feel the focus  should be all about a POEM n not its POET.... so why so much fuss in which what poets being nominated.. can the comp be modified to award a poem than juz a name ?

.... cos strongly feels each n every poet whether new or old keep breathing each Now as New amidst struggles n deaths..n therez lot of discovery n rediscovery to be in a continuum in each n every poetic soul n life to be read n listened to ...also this confirms to that poetry is a timeless spaceless eternity like love...n any truth of a poem cud be revisited n-times for its newness ever.. ..whatever be the poet..old or new...

juz my blabbers above, sorry du's for being so loong n ungrammatical often in spells n verses  Light n Love my Poetic Souls x

Trolls who repeatedly return to harass outstanding members of this community have been a problem since before I joined ( or so I've read/heard about ).  Someone gets angry/jilted/etc. deletes their profile in a huff ( if not banned ), and returns under an alias to harass or wreak havoc in the forums.  I'm unsure what can be done about it.  As a moderator we had one specific member who had targeted and was constantly advertising a member's name and address falsely. He mistakenly mistook one member as another ( one member being from Florida and the other New York ).

It was a mess.  

The reason we can't track IP's is because there are ways around that from routers to various devices.  I know for a fact Webmiss has exhausted herself in the past.  But, technology is improving every day! Who knows what breakthrough in regards to tracking might occur?!  Keep hope!

In regards to Poem of the Month - that was and always will be my baby despite who runs it.  It's been a non-dramatic issue since its inception ( I'm talking years ) - until the rule of one win per 12 months was changed to include EVERYONE CAN WIN NO MATTER IF YOU'VE WON BEFORE!!!!!  I saw it coming like a freight train! Even told Johnny - all hell's gonna break loose now - just watch.

Dire mistakes have been made with this competition, and I am inclined to agree with Craic that it needs a host who can devote attention to it. BUT, it needs to be a member who would earnestly enjoy the spirit of the comp and wants to become more involved at DU.  Someone with poetry in their blood;  not a current director of a group*, or moderator, or someone who already has responsibility. We need fresh blood around here in the form of leadership - such as Josh and Tallen - who will be terrific hosts of the new site comps!

* And, before anyone says anything,  I understand Josh is a director in the critique group - there are several directors there - it's not like he runs the group.  Spoken word is something he is passionate about and wanted to be more involved.  Tallen in respects to new members as well.  

I encourage anyone to become involved in what they are passionate about here.  Just step up!

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5572

And the sooner the better - so the public lynching can end because certain moderators are seemingly incapable of having a private dialogue in Mod Chat to resolve the issues and achieve sensible answers and resolutions for the public good.

lepperochan said:

there was a poem in there which was very close to me . I didn't expect it to win, but I did expected it to be taken unto consideration

same as I expected others to be taken into consideration. At least three entries were swept aside for reasons which can only point to personal, with absolutely no remorse, even though they fell with in the guidelines

gonna say, if the host had bouts feelings which allow him to pick and choose who goes and who stays regardless of the rules then we need a new host

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011

JohnnyBlaze said:And the sooner the better - so the public lynching can end because certain moderators are seemingly incapable of having a private dialogue in Mod Chat to resolve the issues and achieve sensible answers and resolutions for the public good.

This is at best speculation. you have no way of knowing what is or is not said in mod chat. I know you wish you were involved but it's never going to happen.

This particular moderating team is among the fairest the site has ever had. We wont please everyone of course....

who was lynched in public ?

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015

lepperochan said:

This is at best speculation. you have no way of knowing what is or is not said in mod chat. I know you wish you were involved but it's never going to happen.

This particular moderating team is among the fairest the site has ever had. We wont please everyone of course....

Obviously nothing.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

lepperochan said:

Not that he needs me to answer, but unless you're referring sarcastically to this issue alone, he looks pretty involved to me.  He's the founder/director of DU's Official NaPo Comp/Group as well as the Classical Competition Series.  

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015

Ahavati said:

Not that he needs me to answer, but unless you're referring sarcastically to this issue alone, he looks pretty involved to me.  He's the founder/director of DU's Official NaPo Comp/Group as well as the Classical Competition Series.  

And given I contribute poetry under 5 accounts when I'm not involved in anything particular, I would say I keep rather busy at DUP regardless.

LOL !

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011

(On the contrary, I think it's much better for everyone if you answer for him )

he is the founder of a thing which has done much good for many members.I and most people appreciate it

however, by his own admission he used the NaPo  as a medium to post nasty poems aimed at other members . I still have a screen shot of you'd like me to post ?

I understand  it wasnt the nice ethos of the challenge to do it, but he done it anyway obviously with your blessing  or your have Talked him outta it

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015

lepperochan said:(On the contrary, I think it's much better for everyone if you answer for him )

he is the founder of a thing which has done much good for many members.I and most people appreciate it

however, by his own admission he used the NaPo  as a medium to post nasty poems aimed at other members . I still have a screen shot of you'd like me to post ?

I understand  it wasnt the nice ethos of the challenge to do it, but he done it anyway obviously with your blessing  or your have Talked him outta it

Oh, boy! Let the butthurt character assassination commence!

:)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Umm
Dangerous Mind
Latvia 1awards
Joined 6th Dec 2015
Forum Posts: 2373

Ahavati said:

JohnnyBlaze said:

And given I contribute poetry under 5 accounts when I'm not involved in anything particular, I would say I keep rather busy at DUP regardless.

LOL !

JohnnyBlaze said:

Oh, boy! Let the butthurt character assassination commence!

:)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

wow

Go to page:
Go to: