Format for POEM OF THE MONTH?

66.67% • 14 votes • A. One winner in a given month, that poet cannot win again in the calendar, and should not be nominated until the next year.
19.05% • 4 votes • B. Any poet can win in the given month, and poets can multiple times per year.
14.29% • 3 votes • C. Choice A or B with the addendum that least three competitions set aside for new poets and or those with less than 10 wins
Total votes: 21
Only members can vote. Not a member? Sign Up Now

Go to page:

Format for POEM OF THE MONTH?

LobodeSanPedro
LobodeSanPedro
Guardian of Shadows
Sierra Leone
109awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 16th Apr 2013
Forum Posts: 3294

JohnnyBlaze said:

I'm all for simplifying things even further without drastic changes.

Don't enable anonymous public voting at the end of the comp - SKIP that nightmare entirely.

Let the nominations be the votes.

The poems with the most nominations wins the trophy.

Any and all ties are settled by the entries being written down, put into a hat and we trust you Lobo to pick a random winner.

Does this sound feasible?

Possibly 5 minutes of extra effort required and so many problems solved!

One can't win more than once a year.

One can't self nominate.

And if you aren't satisfied for whatever reason, run your own monthly themed comps with your own rules.



I was 100% with you until you said let the nomination be the votes.  When that happens then the whole thing becomes a popularity contest - not a literary one.  A more established writer is surely garner more nominations and therefore votes.  While someone fairly new to the site may have produced an outstanding write - not just a best newcomer award - but truly a best of the best type of ink BUT it’s ignored because far too many of us here, read and “like” who we know ...

But again, I like your KISS thinking ... keep it simple suga

David_Macleod
David_Macleod
David Macleod
Tyrant of Words
United Kingdom
39awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 5th Nov 2014
Forum Posts: 2301

LobodeSanPedro said:

I was 100% with you until you said let the nomination be the votes.  When that happens then the whole thing becomes a popularity contest - not a literary one.  A more established writer is surely garner more nominations and therefore votes.  While someone fairly new to the site may have produced an outstanding write - not just a best newcomer award - but truly a best of the best type of ink BUT it’s ignored because far too many of us here, read and “like” who we know ...

But again, I like your KISS thinking ... keep it simple suga


well, it truly is a "birds of a feather kinda place" Ever since I have been here it has been a "Popularity Competition" in fact almost everything has been affected by, cliques and people empire-building, People tearing down things regardless - competitions, groups, poems, poets, polls hidden, multiple accounts abuse, tactical and group voting, "Lies Sex and Videotape". People buttering you up, people knocking you down, is it any wonder. DU Is just a microcosm of egos the same as in the real world, no different.

So why would you expect any competition not to be corrupted - not all are but they all have that potential - bottom line you are the host and can run it any way you see fit - this has never been a democracy and never will be - it is a corrupt democracy at best where ideas are rubbished and ignore as are complaints, it is becoming tiresome. there is a lack of natural justice that is growing and not being dealt with.

butters
butters
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom
2awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 17th Sep 2019
Forum Posts: 825

and some people see drama llamas everywhere

JohnnyBlaze
JohnnyBlaze
Dangerous Mind
United States
16awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 1565

LobodeSanPedro said:

I was 100% with you until you said let the nomination be the votes.  When that happens then the whole thing becomes a popularity contest - not a literary one.  A more established writer is surely garner more nominations and therefore votes.  While someone fairly new to the site may have produced an outstanding write - not just a best newcomer award - but truly a best of the best type of ink BUT it’s ignored because far too many of us here, read and “like” who we know ...

But again, I like your KISS thinking ... keep it simple suga


Just trying to help. Thank you.

David_Macleod
David_Macleod
David Macleod
Tyrant of Words
United Kingdom
39awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 5th Nov 2014
Forum Posts: 2301

butters said:and some people see drama llamas everywhere

yes they certainly do, mostly people claiming to be here just for the poetry

cold_fusion
cold_fusion
Tyrant of Words
Australia
19awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 14th June 2017
Forum Posts: 2314

talking of Llamas.... this is totally off topic...folks from the 90's would remember...just out of sheer curiosity...has anyone got the oldest version of Winamp?
perhaps this would remind those who'd forgotten

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1uQQ5QVgqU

Ahavati
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
77awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 3828

Exciting news, members!  Tallen and Josh are very eager and willing to assume responsibility of the competitions beginning in December!  

Josh will host Spoken Word of the Month, being excellent at the spoken word himself. He has a wonderful YouTube channel and is dedicated to DU. This is one of his passions and he very much wants to do this. 

Tallen will host New Member of the Month, and is wonderful at bringing to light new members.  He is forever searching out and supporting them, and this will enable him to share those hidden treasures with DU! 

Lastly - these competitions will provide more quality content across our social media networks, eliminate concerns over the lack of new members in the current Poem of the Month Competition, as well as the lack of anonymity over spoken word pieces as well.  SanPedro might decide to keep both in the current Competition, that is up to him ( though it would seem overkill ).  

I have spoken to Webmiss regarding these issues and she thinks the new comps hosted by members who want to be involved, especially in something they are passionate about as well as good at, are good ideas.

Do you have something you are passionate about?  Step up and present it!  Make DU an expansive arena for various opportunities amid a diverse membership, each excelling in their own way - making room for others to as well!  

JohnnyBlaze
JohnnyBlaze
Dangerous Mind
United States
16awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 1565

Ahavati said:Exciting news, members!  Tallen and Josh are very eager and willing to assume responsibility of the competitions beginning in December!  

Josh will host Spoken Word of the Month, being excellent at the spoken word himself. He has a wonderful YouTube channel and is dedicated to DU. This is one of his passions and he very much wants to do this. 

Tallen will host New Member of the Month, and is wonderful at bringing to light new members.  He is forever searching out and supporting them, and this will enable him to share those hidden treasures with DU! 

Lastly - these competitions will provide more quality content across our social media networks, eliminate concerns over the lack of new members in the current Poem of the Month Competition, as well as the lack of anonymity over spoken word pieces as well.  SanPedro might decide to keep both in the current Competition, that is up to him ( though it would seem overkill ).  

I have spoken to Webmiss regarding these issues and she thinks the new comps hosted by members who want to be involved, especially in something they are passionate about as well as good at, are good ideas.

Do you have something you are passionate about?  Step up and present it!  Make DU an expansive arena for various opportunities amid a diverse membership, each excelling in their own way - making room for others to as well!  


This is most excellent news! I can't think of two better people for the jobs!

< Tallen & Josh

butters
butters
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom
2awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 17th Sep 2019
Forum Posts: 825

Ahavati said:Exciting news, members!  Tallen and Josh are very eager and willing to assume responsibility of the competitions beginning in December!  

Josh will host Spoken Word of the Month, being excellent at the spoken word himself. He has a wonderful YouTube channel and is dedicated to DU. This is one of his passions and he very much wants to do this. 

Tallen will host New Member of the Month, and is wonderful at bringing to light new members.  He is forever searching out and supporting them, and this will enable him to share those hidden treasures with DU! 

Lastly - these competitions will provide more quality content across our social media networks, eliminate concerns over the lack of new members in the current Poem of the Month Competition, as well as the lack of anonymity over spoken word pieces as well.  SanPedro might decide to keep both in the current Competition, that is up to him ( though it would seem overkill ).  

I have spoken to Webmiss regarding these issues and she thinks the new comps hosted by members who want to be involved, especially in something they are passionate about as well as good at, are good ideas.

Do you have something you are passionate about?  Step up and present it!  Make DU an expansive arena for various opportunities amid a diverse membership, each excelling in their own way - making room for others to as well!  
oh this'll be great!

good of you guys (Tallen and Josh) to step up to the plate for us all. neato!

Layla
Layla
Fire of Insight
6awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 3rd May 2018
Forum Posts: 321

Summer Swallowed

souladareatease
Go To Page  
LobodeSanPedro said:... those poems omitted from October’s contest will be reviewed to make sure only the work of prior winners and self nominated work were the only things that were disallowed.  

Can you please answer where is my nomination for Souladaretease's work of 'Summer Swallowed" ??


He has never won poem of the month nor is a self nominated post, so why was it removed and not restored in the competition ??

LobodeSanPedro
LobodeSanPedro
Guardian of Shadows
Sierra Leone
109awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 16th Apr 2013
Forum Posts: 3294

Summer Swallowed

souladareatease
Go To Page  
Layla said:

Can you please answer where is my nomination for Souladaretease's work of 'Summer Swallowed" ??


He has never won poem of the month nor is a self nominated post, so why was it removed and not restored in the competition ??


I’m not sure how that happened, it was an oversight within the process of eliminating a lot of poems that were clearly ineligible.

Please feel free to nominate the piece again.

Thank you.

Miss_Sub
Miss_Sub
- Missy -
Tyrant of Words
United Kingdom
98awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 26th June 2011
Forum Posts: 8315


Your own words, Lobo.

No mention that previous winners would be disqualified at all. Zero courtesy in letting people know. How this was handled was absolutely wrong.

Period.

Trouble_Loves_Me
Trouble_Loves_Me
Fire of Insight
Wales
3awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 22nd June 2017
Forum Posts: 64

Merely to satiate my curiosity. What exactly constitutes a "new poet?" Does it incorporate 'returners' from a break or under new profile?

Ahavati
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
77awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 3828

Trouble_Loves_Me said:Merely to satiate my curiosity. What exactly constitutes a "new poet?" Does it incorporate 'returners' from a break or under new profile?

Hahahaha! I was wondering that myself, Rob. While those with alternate profiles are required to list them - those who keep leaving and returning under different ones are not required to divulge who they previously were. Its a grey area. . .

lepperochan
lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
65awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 12976

Miss_Sub said:Your own words, Lobo.

No mention that previous winners would be disqualified at all. Zero courtesy in letting people know. How this was handled was absolutely wrong.

Period.



there was a poem in there which was very close to me . I didn't expect it to win, but I did expected it to be taken unto consideration

same as I expected others to be taken into consideration. At least three entries were swept aside for reasons which can only point to personal, with absolutely no remorse, even though they fell with in the guidelines


gonna say, if the host had bouts feelings which allow him to pick and choose who goes and who stays regardless of the rules then we need a new host

Go to page:
Go to: