Format for POEM OF THE MONTH?

66.67% • 14 votes • A. One winner in a given month, that poet cannot win again in the calendar, and should not be nominated until the next year.
19.05% • 4 votes • B. Any poet can win in the given month, and poets can multiple times per year.
14.29% • 3 votes • C. Choice A or B with the addendum that least three competitions set aside for new poets and or those with less than 10 wins
Total votes: 21
Only members can vote. Not a member? Sign Up Now

Go to page:

Format for POEM OF THE MONTH?

LobodeSanPedro
Tyrant of Words
Sierra Leone 109awards
Joined 16th Apr 2013
Forum Posts: 3304

David_Macleod said:

Would it not be a better idea to keep prior winners nominations but to disable the voting???

I’m not 100% sure what you mean in this, but the submission (nomination) of prior winners is what slows the whole process down.  

The omitting of prior winners from the competition, self nominees and random chatter in the competition thread  - literary cuts the number of pages in the competition in half, sometimes more - making it easier for readers to peruse the relevant poems and vote accordingly

LobodeSanPedro
Tyrant of Words
Sierra Leone 109awards
Joined 16th Apr 2013

On not being able to vote for your nomination ... this is my opinion as a member/writer - not a Moderator ...

The inability to vote on one’s nominee is a default for all competitions sent to voting in the DUP system.

For the majority of voted competitions this ensures a certain amount of integrity.

Personally if I submitted a poem in any given voted competition, and said poem won - I’d feel better about the piece, knowing it won without me having to vote for it as well ...

The same logic can be applied to Poem of the Month.  When a nominee of mine has won without my vote, I feel good knowing that others saw what I did in the poem I nominated.

LobodeSanPedro
Tyrant of Words
Sierra Leone 109awards
Joined 16th Apr 2013

Should the limit be one nominee per member?

That’s not to say a writer can’t be nominated multiple times, by different readers - each submitting a different poem of said writer ... but again, should it be one nomination per month to speed up the process?

Side note: So far I haven’t seen any compelling push back on one win per year, and no self nominations - so those rules will stand.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14145

LobodeSanPedro said:Should the limit be one nominee per member?

That’s not to say a writer can’t be nominated multiple times, by different readers - each submitting a different poem of said writer ... but again, should it be one nomination per month to speed up the process?

Side note: So far I haven’t seen any compelling push back on one win per year, and no self nominations - so those rules will stand.

Good! Getting back to the roots of this baby!  

Edited to say:  On the other question, I thought one nomination would be fine; however, I believe it will be too constrictive.  Two is a good balance.

butters
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 3awards
Joined 17th Sep 2019
Forum Posts: 868

anyone got any rough stats on ratios of how many nominate and how many vote?

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

June:

Nominating members – 12
Voting members – 24

nutbuster, LivDiane, Kinkpoet, Hunterapsych, AspergerPoet56, SweetOblivion, Stoney223, JusTim_, TIG, Heaven_sent_Kathy, Erotic_Goddess, David_Macleod, ImperfectedStone, Amorous_tryst, crimsin, Juvenalis66, cold_fusion, brokentitanium, Marks, eswaller, PoetsRevenge, _shadoe_, SilverBeaver_42, SkyeCebh

July:

Nominating members - 17
Voting members – 23

RevolutionAL, BeginningPoet, nomoth, MysticalRose, Miss_Sub, hrshykss, AnonymousBystander, JusTim_, RexDurkin, Billy_Snagg, AspergerPoet56, Carpe_Noctem, eswaller, Jade-Pandora, PlaydateWithFire, summultima, highlyfunctional, Hepcat61, MadameLavender, wallyroo92, Stoney223, snugglebuck, Layla

August:

Nominating members - 12
Voting members – 29

BeginningPoet, Ahavati, JohnnyBlaze, MysticalRose, JusTim_, highlyfunctional, AspergerPoet56, AnonymousBystander, DanielChristensen, Stoney223, lepperochan, Jade-Pandora, Marks, Honoria, Jestalessa, Kinkpoet, MadameLavender, InNomine, Josh, RevolutionAL, LivDiane, Eerie, Tallen, admin, ImperfectedStone, SexyInkMaster, brokentitanium, da_poetic-edifier, HadesRising

September:

Nominating members - 21  members
Voting members - 21

_shadoe_, AspergerPoet56, LunaGreyhawk, Tallen, Tenderloin, PlaydateWithFire, CharlotteMae, Jiminex, nomoth, Ely, _boybrains, Brando, 24601, LJRoundTown, Layla, AndyJHale, brokentitanium, Carpe_Noctem, Sky_dancer, FromTheAsh, Amorous_tryst

Octobers aren't ready for obvious reasons. . .

butters
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 3awards
Joined 17th Sep 2019

hmmn, they don't appear (for the most part) to garner a great deal more votes than noms. perhaps these bigger site challenge competitions need a bit more exposure, promotion *shrugs*

thanks, Aha :)

Tallen
earth_empath
Tyrant of Words
32awards
Joined 15th Oct 2018
Forum Posts: 2264

butters said:hmmn, they don't appear (for the most part) to garner a great deal more votes than noms. perhaps these bigger site challenge competitions need a bit more exposure, promotion *shrugs*

thanks, Aha :)

I've always found it a wee bit eerie to vote in these types of comps where i nominated some spills only to vote but unable to vote the spills i nominated.
I suspect i am not the only one who has felt this odd feel.

It's why i think a poll type of vote would be more appropo

only my 2 cents, here  

David_Macleod
Tyrant of Words
United Kingdom 39awards
Joined 5th Nov 2014
Forum Posts: 2983

LobodeSanPedro said:

I’m not 100% sure what you mean in this, but the submission (nomination) of prior winners is what slows the whole process down.  

The omitting of prior winners from the competition, self nominees and random chatter in the competition thread  - literary cuts the number of pages in the competition in half, sometimes more - making it easier for readers to peruse the relevant poems and vote accordingly

Seems like a simple suggestion

Ok, when I am hosting a comp I put my content on too, but it is submitted as a non-entry and cannot be voted for. That then shows the best of DU every month rather than not accepting great poets on DU you might want to read who won 9 months ago

butters
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 3awards
Joined 17th Sep 2019

did i read that right? :blinks:

yes, yes i did

LobodeSanPedro
Tyrant of Words
Sierra Leone 109awards
Joined 16th Apr 2013

David_Macleod said:

Seems like a simple suggestion

Ok, when I am hosting a comp I put my content on too, but it is submitted as a non-entry and cannot be voted for. That then shows the best of DU every month rather than not accepting great poets on DU you might want to read who won 9 months ago

The simple of it is ... all the of extraneous submissions creates unnecessary clutter.  As I clearly said, when self nominations and previous winners are allowed in the thread it more than doubles the number of pages, making it harder to draw in voters as they have to shift through votable and non votable.

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5572

LobodeSanPedro said:

The simple of it is ... all the of extraneous submissions creates unnecessary clutter.  As I clearly said, when self nominations and previous winners are allowed in the thread it more than doubles the number of pages, making it harder to draw in voters as they have to shift through votable and non votable.

I'm all for simplifying things even further without drastic changes.

Don't enable anonymous public voting at the end of the comp - SKIP that nightmare entirely.

Let the nominations be the votes.

The poems with the most nominations wins the trophy.

Any and all ties are settled by the entries being written down, put into a hat and we trust you Lobo to pick a random winner.

Does this sound feasible?

Possibly 5 minutes of extra effort required and so many problems solved!

One can't win more than once a year.

One can't self nominate.

And if you aren't satisfied for whatever reason, run your own monthly themed comps with your own rules.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

lepperochan said:of course,  and look, I'm not trying to aggravate a situation. all the comps, even your own have some parameters. some aspects of this comp became open to confusion

I would ask for some patience here. we have a chance to put this comp together again. I'm sure all our inputs will be taken into account. it may not suit everyone. but, come on, everyone is free to start a comp

let's see what the host decides to do.

Yep – Here you go! Anyone wishing to run either of these competitions beginning next month, please message JohnnyBlaze or me.

https://deepundergroundpoetry.com/forum/competitions/read/11099/#459639

https://deepundergroundpoetry.com/forum/competitions/read/11100/#459642

The new member aspect will alleviate that concern from the current poem of the month competition; and, the spoken word will address most of the anonymity issue.  There is still that signature issue left - but I don't know anyway around that one without Webmiss.

David_Macleod
Tyrant of Words
United Kingdom 39awards
Joined 5th Nov 2014
Forum Posts: 2983

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

:))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Go to page:
Go to: