Page:

Stephen King love

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5572

( salvaged from the now defunct Discussion forum )

RByron418 said:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_Bh-yNpUpI

I just wanted to post this, no particular reason.

I don't care if I get criticized, but I adore Stephen King.  He's an amazing storyteller and is excellent at characterization; though, admittedly, I feel the endings he comes up with leave a bit to be desired, but everything before then more than makes up for it.

He was honestly the one writer who made me really wanna write more than anyone.  He was the first writer that I actually read for fun and not just for schoolwork.

IcarusVStheSun said:I have never read any of his books, only reviews on some of his books and the movie adaptations, but you are correct about him being an amazing storyteller. Though, I will never probably read any of his novels because I am not a fan of horror, I must admit he has talent from some of the work I have seen. He has a way of bring the fear to life, I am not going to mention the clowns lol.

RByron418 said:

Most of the movie adaptations of his books, even those whose screenplays he wrote himself, are pretty terrible and not at all an accurate representation of his actual work.

IcarusVStheSun said:I have heard there is a major differences when it comes down to his novel especially from "It." Then again, when is the movie better than the book?

They did a phenomenal job with "IT" , despite changing many elements. It's a fuckton more creepier and funnier than the original made-for-TV mini-series.

Personally, I think it's great to see Stephen King has become comfortable with various adaptations that stray from his books.

Movies only draw more attention and introduces them to more readers.

It's when a movie fails to do anything different from a previous, then it is like, Why bother? There have been 3 versions of "Carrie". The 3rd was basically updating the story into smart phone era, but I still enjoy it.  I could never get involved in theatre - acting out the same lines would make me insane.

ps There is a #StephenKing theme now for any of your poems inspired by his stories

butters
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 3awards
Joined 17th Sep 2019
Forum Posts: 868

damn, where the hell did it go? i posted a wordy reply (nah, me, wordy? geddouddahere) and asked a question but now i've been and gorn and lost the thread :grumpyface:

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015

butters said:damn, where the hell did it go? i posted a wordy reply (nah, me, wordy? geddouddahere) and asked a question but now i've been and gorn and lost the thread :grumpyface:

Same as me, you posted it to the original thread in the discussion forum that was shut down and doesn't appear in the list below.

https://deepundergroundpoetry.com/forum/discuss/read/10205/#422670

Repost your post here! I was attempting to resurrect that discussion Pet Semetary style.

butters
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 3awards
Joined 17th Sep 2019

ah, and there it is:

RByron418 said:

Most of the movie adaptations of his books, even those whose screenplays he wrote himself, are pretty terrible and not at all an accurate representation of his actual work.

this this this

love settling into one of his books, even if a lot of them now feel like old, familiar territory - he can still have me sitting turning pages on a big fat book well into the night just to finish the story. he has such an easy style of writing that invites the reader directly in.

endings? not so great

his dark tower series is my out and out favourite; i love the connections with his other books, like the other realities glimpsed from the beam

overall, i am always left with the impression that almost everything he's written was practising for writing the dark tower

read sleeping beauties yet? co-written with his son. i think it shows that there's a different voice going on in there, which i found a little distracting.

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015

I have yet to read Sleeping Beauties, most of the Dark Tower and many of his latest - haven't been able to squeeze in time to read.  

butters
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 3awards
Joined 17th Sep 2019

the d.t? it was a great treat for me. when you do get around to them, make sure to read them in order even though they work well on their own. i still enjoy rereading them.

i've yet to see any of the darktower series but will take a chance on it purely for idris elba. i just hate what they do with most his book-to-screen adaptations

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015

A bump for butters or anyone else to post some of their #StephenKing inspired writes.

butters
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 3awards
Joined 17th Sep 2019

JohnnyBlaze said:A bump for butters or anyone else to post some of their #StephenKing inspired writes. appreciated, J

Go, he said
there are more worlds than this
then fell
across the neverwhen

dusty boots on two-lane blacktop
pick-up hauls its dusty arse then slows
in a sunset of motes
waits
till cuban-heeled notes
stir the back-score of fear
bilious eye in a rain-fevered sky—
screech of tyres