Should DU members only be allowed to have one account?

61.11% • 11 votes • YES
38.89% • 7 votes • NO
Total votes: 18
Only members can vote. Not a member? Sign Up Now

Go to page:

Should DU members only be allowed to have one account?

Tallen
earth_empath
Tyrant of Words
32awards
Joined 15th Oct 2018
Forum Posts: 2264

David_Macleod said:a separate identity is not the same as multiple identities. There are many here under the cloak of invisibility, a nickname and a colourful image of nothing in particular. I simply only know what they present to me. But trust is an issue on the internet I have learned that lesson at great cost. Motivations and actions do need qualification. I mean how can I be sure you are not a male catfish predator getting off on lesbian chat and poetry. Truth is I can't know until you behave in that manner. However, making it be the policy that we can only have one account with a threat of banning multiple accounts would make most not want to attempt it. It is currently an open door

There is no true way to know Brother.  I feel sooo poor for You and Your experience and wish i could help in a way i know how to but that is no longer my path.  All i can do is practice Kindness.

That said, I am not asking You to accept me or trust me.  I just want You to know, i hold no ill will to You (or Your friends) and only trying to engage in intelligent and credible discourse.

I was saddened when You and me stopped chatting but thought maybe You needed space.  I now realize more insidious shit was laying way upon Your Tao.

I even thought of skype video formats to apply for membership but thought what a effin can of worms would that explode in our faces!!???

Tallen
earth_empath
Tyrant of Words
32awards
Joined 15th Oct 2018
Forum Posts: 2264

[quote-453015-David_MacleodI mean how can I be sure you are not a male catfish predator getting off on lesbian chat and poet[/quote]

You know, i never knew what many of these new terms meant until i started on Facebook and here, at DUP.  I guess i was living in a bubble of
people are OK - at their core.

But as many have said before here and other sites
the internet gives Bullies, Trolls and asshole racists a powerful avenue to transmit their venom because no one knows who the fuck they are!!

Jade-Pandora
jade tiger
Tyrant of Words
United States 154awards
Joined 9th Nov 2015
Forum Posts: 5134

Tallen said:... if there was a way each of us could segregate our ink into sub-folders -

say one for each category.  I know when i read someone's ink who i've never read before I wish i could read all of the SELF and SPIRITUAL ink first
without having to sift through months and months of the other stuff.

I should be sleeping, but...
I think this feature is a great idea right now!  Not only when perusing a member’s collection, but also my own which has reached a massive number! It would help me with sorting.
Okay, this sick lil DUP’er’s going to bed, nighters.💤

brokentitanium
k.
Tyrant of Words
Canada 10awards
Joined 18th Nov 2015
Forum Posts: 1122

Tallen said:
if there was a way each of us could segregate our
ink into sub-folders - say one for each category.  I know when i read someone's ink who i've never read before I wish i could read all of the SELF and SPIRITUAL ink first
without having to sift through months and months of the other stuff.

I think this is a brilliant idea too. Even better if we could control which of our ink different readers get to access. Like, when a follower is new to me, they'd only be able to read a selected subset of my stuff, and once they prove themselves NOT to be a creepy prick, I might grant them access to the rest... I suspect that would be hopelessly complicated though.

I've only recently considered sharing my existence (and poetry) here with people that I have to look in the eye each day. As a result, it's the first time I've toyed with the idea of making a separate account (for the nasty bits), but honestly, I'm just way too lazy for that. Currently, I've hidden the poems that are too personal or uncomfortable for the real world - I'm grateful for that option! But I'm a little torn about whether this will change my experience here.

So generally, I'm in favour of people having only one account. But how would one enforce this?? I have at least 3 different emails I could potentially use to sign up, and could make up any fake name I want, if I wanted to....

David_Macleod
Tyrant of Words
United Kingdom 39awards
Joined 5th Nov 2014
Forum Posts: 2983

brokentitanium said:

So generally, I'm in favour of people having only one account. But how would one enforce this?? I have at least 3 different emails I could potentially use to sign up, and could make up any fake name I want, if I wanted to....

I start with the premise that the vast majority of people on DU are good people. They are people that follow the rules and the DU guidelines. The vast majority of people on DU do not have multiple accounts nor would they even consider it. If the rule was NO Multiple Accounts, most people would follow the rules. It wouldn't stop it all but if it was couples with a fuller blocking facility then it would certainly provide a much better user experience.

David_Macleod
Tyrant of Words
United Kingdom 39awards
Joined 5th Nov 2014

this poll has been suppressed and is not posting on the "Latest forum discussions list"

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 14449

Hullo

for a time there was a culture of multiple accounts. it was a thing  ..a fad if you will. that culture (in my opinion) has peaked and dissapated somewhat over the last 18 months or so. there are some valid reasons for having an alternitive account and like has been pointed out there are those who used their alternitves for nefarious endevours

I voted no because I think its wrong to cut down a forest because there's a couple of bad trees. I don't have and never had any more than one account going at the same time. i had an alternitive account (Ard Ri)  for a couple of weeks when for my own reasons i didn't want to log in with this account and I was grateful i could

Evocation
Thought Provoker
United Kingdom
Joined 10th Sep 2019
Forum Posts: 1

I have another account on DUP, but I don't want to open it because it represents the past. I feel like I would be going over old ground again.

butters
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 3awards
Joined 17th Sep 2019
Forum Posts: 868

let me preface this by saying i use one account and one account only. i'm here for writing and reading and on-forum chatting.

having said that, i know some poets can only find the freedom to write from an entirely alternate perspective by using another, fictitious, character under which to do so. like a guy trying to step out of his male-skin in order to be more open to writing as they feel a woman might. or a woman, writing from a masc p.o.v... for them to connect more with that p.o.v they need to inhabit the persona, on a parallel to method acting.

there is no inherent harm to this so long as the writer doesn't attempt to 'fool' anyone outside of the parameters of their poetry! some here, magnetron-for example, clearly posts in his sig line his other online writing personas. so it's not about any desire to cheat people. i also believe some readers bring their own mind-blocks when it comes to reading: if they know it's a man writing from a female p.o.v (just for example), they'll probably not be able to help but add that information into the equation as they read. they are not reading with a completely open mind, viewing the writing through a specific lens rather than being totally open to the words that are meant to be from a woman's mind.

how successful (or not) those writers are when attempting this kind of personality-shift is neither here nor there. is it right to deny them the freedom to explore their creativity just because you or i would opt to use but one embodiement?

my vote would be to allow multiple accounts but with the limitations that they all belong to a root account and should any of the alts belonging to that account go the route of bullying or other rule-breaking behaviour, then ban them all, no return permitted.

btw, Literotica allows anyone to have multiple accounts; the problem it has is if they ban one, the others are still active, and even if anyone's account gets zapped there's nothing to stop them reregistering under a new name to continue harrassing other posters. that hacks a lot of people off.

David_Macleod
Tyrant of Words
United Kingdom 39awards
Joined 5th Nov 2014

Wow, this is a very well informed and concise response to the matter. It is a special nube that can find this thread and but also to have formed these opinions in such a short space of time and of course critique the behaviour of another member (Named) I think you must have been a DU member in a previous life.

I clearly do not agree with any of the opinions that you stated or the arguments formulated as this seems to have been done without knowing the history of the site

butters
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 3awards
Joined 17th Sep 2019
Forum Posts: 868

okay, i've never been here before but i'm no noob at writing. modding, or having run my own arts/writing site.
the thread was easily found under forums and speakeasy.

the only member here i have already met before is johnny blaze, who i know as magnetron over at literotica. can't recall if i was modding there on the poetry forum when he frequented the place but i certainly haven't made any other judgements about people here or even claim to know anything about the site history -- other than having spent time here today doing so in-depth reading, including some of your own posts regarding bullying, multiple-accounts and your own modship being terminated. since i don't know what went down or why apart from your own words in that regard, and feel no need to bother admin with spurious requests for information no doubt available if i chose to read further back, i base my opinions on my own online experiences over the course of decades.

i know you don't agree with me - as i said, i've taken the time to read around on the site a bit and saw you posting about what you believe were personal attacks and why you were upset by the outcomes.

p.s guess that makes me a 'special nube'

David_Macleod
Tyrant of Words
United Kingdom 39awards
Joined 5th Nov 2014

Hmmmn I guess it does

badmalthus
Harry Rout
Dangerous Mind
19awards
Joined 3rd May 2014
Forum Posts: 433

Leave me a bit suspicious if someone needed a second account.

rabbitquest
Dangerous Mind
Ukraine 2awards
Joined 20th May 2012
Forum Posts: 2051

I have two main accounts and I use the other account as a friend I can talk to.

David_Macleod
Tyrant of Words
United Kingdom 39awards
Joined 5th Nov 2014

if that's true then its not even declared - its strange how and what people declare or how they vote, and how they change their votes - fascinating

Go to page:
Go to: