Should DU members only be allowed to have one account?

61.11% • 11 votes • YES
38.89% • 7 votes • NO
Total votes: 18
Only members can vote. Not a member? Sign Up Now

Go to page:

Should DU members only be allowed to have one account?

David_Macleod
Tyrant of Words
United Kingdom 39awards
Joined 5th Nov 2014
Forum Posts: 2983

I used to think that there was no harm in people having multiple accounts. There are a few that use them in an honest manner and do not infringe the DU guidelines. However, there are just as many use multiple accounts for nefarious purposes even breaking DU guidelines.

In my time as a MOD I witnessed many incidents of people using them dishonestly and kept a record of these types of issues. I have a wealth of evidence showing dishonest use and predatory behaviours.

I can't think of any other poetry site that allows the use of multiple accounts and with good reason. I can now see no earthly reason why members of DU should ever be allowed multiple accounts (declared or undeclared).

Anonymity is a hard enough thing at times to deal with but having multiple accounts takes the problem to a whole other level. I would like to see this issue ended.

Why not just be yourself?

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
eroseternal
Tim Eros
Thought Provoker
United States
Joined 6th July 2019
Forum Posts: 87

I don't think a writer needs more than one profile.  Keeping all your work in one profile is perfect.  

Tallen
earth_empath
Tyrant of Words
32awards
Joined 15th Oct 2018
Forum Posts: 2287

Anonymous said:<< post removed >>

One of the first writers i met when i became a member in OCT last year turned out to be a man
who writes an awful lot of erotic ink from a woman's point of view.

I only discovered his gender when he wanted to chat with me on Skype and then he got pissed off when he discovered i am a man and not a female
writer who he was certain i was.

I told him i would not reveal his identity as i didn't want any trouble -- it was only my first week.

So here is a case where this person has only one account but who is not who everyone thinks.

I don't think there's an answer or solution, here -- save for demanding Passport or Photo ID of some sort and i'm sure there would be some legality issues with that.

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
David_Macleod
Tyrant of Words
United Kingdom 39awards
Joined 5th Nov 2014

be interesting to see if people with multiple accounts vote more than once - will check that with the Webmiss :-))))))))))))))))))))

LiamReeduus
LiamReedus
Fire of Insight
Ireland 5awards
Joined 11th Apr 2019
Forum Posts: 30

Why does one need more than one account. Id say no

poet Anonymous

Although I did admittedly have other accounts in the past, I am in favor of only one account per member. This will be my last account and I'd be perfectly amenable to having the previous deleted entirely as I never intend to open them again. I have all poetry saved on my computer so...no need for them to exist. I can barely manage one account. I don't know how people maintain multiples...or remember who they're supposed to be for each account. I'll stick with one account and being me, thanks.

case28
Alexander Case
Dangerous Mind
42awards
Joined 16th June 2013
Forum Posts: 2077

I'm not sure if this should be a rule, regulated or controlled.  A motivated nuisance will always find a way to be a nuisance.  And on the flip side there are those members who do use more than one account positively and creatively e.g. The DU Poetcast.

I agree with Ash regarding the effort and time it takes to have multiple accounts.  So instead of rules and controls, perhaps the question should be asked... if you're not being productive, what are you doing in life wasting your time?

poet Anonymous

Thank you for acknowledging we use The Poetcast Project account for constructive purposes... 😄

rabbitquest
Dangerous Mind
Ukraine 2awards
Joined 20th May 2012
Forum Posts: 2051

I am a man posting as a woman posting as a man

David_Macleod
Tyrant of Words
United Kingdom 39awards
Joined 5th Nov 2014

I  am a man sometimes posting from a woman's perspective but my name doesn't change  :-)

rabbitquest
Dangerous Mind
Ukraine 2awards
Joined 20th May 2012
Forum Posts: 2051

I must say that for those amongst us who walk as angels,  do indeed need a separate identity, one where they can just let it all hang out
To let down their need to be infinitely fair to all, and never need to question the motives behind receiving a flattering comment.
For example, a mod might benefit from a simple account, away from the stormy dramas that are part and parcel to their lofty position.
Although we have all craved taking the reigns of power, we soon long for a simpler life where someone's friendly comments can be welcomed as just that, with no hidden motives.

Tallen
earth_empath
Tyrant of Words
32awards
Joined 15th Oct 2018
Forum Posts: 2287

I haven't voted because if things stay the way they are then I would vote against eliminating multiple accounts but would be in favor
if there was a way each of us could segregate our
ink into sub-folders -

say one for each category.  I know when i read someone's ink who i've never read before I wish i could read all of the SELF and SPIRITUAL ink first
without having to sift through months and months of the other stuff.

Anyways,
i am not surprised by the votes, thus far (BTW, only way i can see how the poll is going is to view DUP in incognito-mode - hence this screen shot)

David_Macleod
Tyrant of Words
United Kingdom 39awards
Joined 5th Nov 2014

a separate identity is not the same as multiple identities. There are many here under the cloak of invisibility, a nickname and a colourful image of nothing in particular. I simply only know what they present to me. But trust is an issue on the internet I have learned that lesson at great cost. Motivations and actions do need qualification. I mean how can I be sure you are not a male catfish predator getting off on lesbian chat and poetry. Truth is I can't know until you behave in that manner. However, making it be the policy that we can only have one account with a threat of banning multiple accounts would make most not want to attempt it. It is currently an open door

Go to page:
Go to: