Classic Corner Discussion Thread

Ahavati
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
95awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 9073

LilDragonFly said:As for me ... I can only speak for the Edna St. Vincent Millay contest ... I agreed with the winners and runners up completely ... I also found the assessment of their poems spot on ... glad to see you are giving these competitions such careful thought and scrutiny ... I dislike it when the comps become all about WILY (whether I like you) or a chance to stick it to those one does not like ...

It's never been about popularity, LDF. We've been pretty mild-mannered in regards to our responses due to entrant reactions, which were shocking being that our responses are geared to help the entrants win the next time ( if they take them to heart ). However, we owe these giants, and those who can't handle our respones, or take them personally, are probably best to abstain from the comps altogether.

Some focus on the trophy; others the poets themselves. It's the latter who typically win.

LilDragonFly
LilDragonFly
Tyrant of Words
United States
33awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 22nd July 2017
Forum Posts: 79

I so agree with you ... for me it is not about trophies (though I won't lie it is nice to win) ... I am here to practice my poetry ... share it ... read others writing as well ... I am always up for fair and balance feedback ... relish the chance to get it ... admire those who take time to give it ...

Ahavati
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
Joined 11th Apr 2015

LilDragonFly said:I so agree with you ... for me it is not about trophies (though I won't lie it is nice to win) ... I am here to practice my poetry ... share it ... read others writing as well ... I am always up for fair and balance feedback ... the chance to get it ... admire those who are take time to give it ...

Edited per your Oprah quote I missed earlier:

Awesome. Hopefully we'll see you back in the classics soon.  There's only a certain type of writer that can be lifted higher in these comps—a serious one.

JohnnyBlaze
JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States
20awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 4200

The exciting thing about the Ai comp in progress is that entrants are placed in a natural quandry when it comes to emulating her emulating someone else.

How is that possible? Wouldn't you just emulate someone else like Ai is doing and leave Ai out of the equation?

Yes ... but ... No.

You still have to draw inspiration from any poem of hers, which means we are looking for Ai's essence as to why she chose to write from that perspective undergoing whatever and what message she is expressing to the Reader through that person's actions.

Ahavati
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
Joined 11th Apr 2015

JohnnyBlaze said:The exciting thing about the Ai comp in progress is that entrants are placed in a natural quandry when it comes to emulating her emulating someone else.

How is that possible? Wouldn't you just emulate someone else like Ai is doing and leave Ai out of the equation?

Yes ... but ... No.

You still have to draw inspiration from any poem of hers, which means we are looking for Ai's essence as to why she chose to write from that perspective undergoing whatever and what message she is expressing to the Reader through that person's actions.

By mastering her style of emulation in the essence of the inspirational poem while remaining completely original. Not an easy job.

JohnnyBlaze
JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States
Joined 20th Mar 2015

Ahavati said:

By mastering her style of emulation in the essence of the inspirational poem. Not an easy job.

She is one to SERIOUSLY study.

JohnnyBlaze
JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States
Joined 20th Mar 2015

On the other end of the Emulation Stick, you definitely aren't going win any of these CCComps we host by simply rewriting the inspiration poem you chose.

Guidelines  

6. In your Author's note, provide the poem title ( even if the title of your poem is the same as Ai's ) as well as a link to the poem ( not website ) by Ai that inspired yours. Without this, we have no way of determining if you were truly inspired by Ai, or simply swapped fresh words into her existing poetry and form, which could be considered plagiarism.

Such is exactly why we *require* a title of and link to an inspiration poem. We need to ascertain whether entries are serious attempts at creating original poems or are cookie cutter productions for the sake of accumulating Tropheees.  

Do not simply paraphrase another writer's poem in your own words or rewrite what they wrote with variations in the details. That is not learning anything about the poet, yourself as a poet, or writing poetry. That is not contributing fresh poetry to the world. That is just slapping words together to pass off as your own knowing it damn well will read like the poet you are emulating because it is that poet's words, ideas, and styling you are presenting as yours.

LilDragonFly
LilDragonFly
Tyrant of Words
United States
33awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 22nd July 2017
Forum Posts: 79

Ahavati said:

Edited per your Oprah quote I missed earlier:

Awesome. Hopefully we'll see you back in the classics soon.  There's only a certain type of writer that can be lifted higher in these comps—a serious one.

Again ... I so agree ... appreciate the warm invite ... "We are all apprentices in a craft where no one ever becomes a master" ~ E. Hemingway ... although I have read his poetry ... his fiction is much much better ...

Ahavati
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
Joined 11th Apr 2015

LilDragonFly said:

Again ... I so agree ... appreciate the warm invite ... "We are all apprentices in a craft where no one ever becomes a master" ~ E. Hemingway ... although I have read his poetry ... his fiction is much much better ...

Yup. He was a pretty serious writer!

JohnnyBlaze
JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States
Joined 20th Mar 2015

Webmiss has created the Theme tags for our October comps!

Don't forget to tag your entries #AiOgwaga and #RabindranathTagore

Ahavati
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
Joined 11th Apr 2015

JohnnyBlaze said:Webmiss has created the Theme tags for our October comps!

Don't forget to tag your entries #AiOgwaga and #RabindranathTagore

Hu-ah!

Eerie
Eerie
Dangerous Mind
7awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 29th July 2018
Forum Posts: 382

Ahavati said:

Hu-ah!

According to the link provided (PoemHunter) in the comp thread, Ai's last name is spelled Ogawa. The theme has her last name spelled Ogwaga, which may be why some are stating they were unable to locate it.  

Ahavati
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Eerie said:

According to the link provided (PoemHunter) in the comp thread, Ai's last name is spelled Ogawa. The theme has her last name spelled Ogwaga, which may be why some are stating they were unable to locate it.  

Thanks, Eerie. I didn't even notice that; however, it should pull up when you type Ai - mine always does when I hit the first few letters of a tag.

Edit: I just tested it and it pulled right up with AiO before I could even finish.

JohnnyBlaze
JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States
Joined 20th Mar 2015

I believe the misspelling of her name got carried over from the poll thread she was recommended in.

https://deepundergroundpoetry.com/forum/speakeasy/read/11514/

Poems4me said:Ai Ogwaga

DaisyGrace
DaisyGrace
Dangerous Mind
United States
6awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 29th Mar 2017
Forum Posts: 886

i'm mostly new to the classics corner. i've seen them, of course, but only participated in one. one of the guidelines is no extreme erotica. and of course, i know what my definition of extreme erotica is. but can i get a concrete definition? is this like NaPo? if that's the case then I'm good.

Go to page:
Go to: