Is it just me???

RexDurkin
RexDurkin
Fire of Insight
Australia
4awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 13th Jan 2019
Forum Posts: 90

airfaces are like the facial equivalent of air-guitar. They're acting like you know what's up when you dont.

Air face: A fake facial expression one puts on when the intellectual level of the conversation has gone way over one's head.

Eg: Oh shit, I have no idea what this scientist is talking about, time to put on one of my trusty airfaces so as to not look as stupid as I really am.

Northern1
Northern1
Fire of Insight
Iceland
  profile   poems   message
Joined 15th Apr 2016
Forum Posts: 148

RexDurkin said:airfaces are like the facial equivalent of air-guitar. They're acting like you know what's up when you dont.

Air face: A fake facial expression one puts on when the intellectual level of the conversation has gone way over one's head.

Eg: Oh shit, I have no idea what this scientist is talking about, time to put on one of my trusty airfaces so as to not look as stupid as I really am.

SatInUGal
SatInUGal
Kumar
Dangerous Mind
United States
16awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 31st Dec 2015
Forum Posts: 536

(responding to the original prompt)

This is a place where you get what you give. I find that if I put out more poems, I get more likes and RL's. If I comment more on other people's poetry (something I've been sorely lacking in lately), I get more follows and interest. Give people a reason to take an interest in you.

SatInUGal
SatInUGal
Kumar
Dangerous Mind
United States
16awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 31st Dec 2015
Forum Posts: 536

butters said:the BEST way to get more views/comments is by putting yourself out there and taking the time to not be selfish. read other poems. THINK about them. offer your opinions. it's a time-consuming process that not only helps other writers, it has another huge benefit: it trains your mind to think more critically about the actual art of writing. it helps you identify weak or strong areas; helps your self-confidence as it builds on your skills; it helps you look at your own writing with more detachment when it comes to looking for problems and so it's all a learning circle. the more you THINK about poetry, the better you understand it.

Well, dammit, I need to "get out" more in DUP after reading that!

the5thRiddler
the5thRiddler
Twisted Dreamer
  profile   poems   message
Joined 6th Aug 2019
Forum Posts: 166

Just an opinion, but Id love to see how some critiques have made others improve. I needed that laugh.

poet Anonymous

I've been writing for ten years and haven't improved a bit through nice reviews. Anything I learn, I learn on my own. I'm just a novice like a lot of other people here. Reviews aren't important to me anymore.

butters
butters
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom
1awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 17th Sep 2019
Forum Posts: 433

not everyone is open to opinions of their writing; that's cool. some even develop quite nicely using their own gut instincts. and some find it enough just to know they're being read and get some likes.
for me, turning away free eyes and ears - tools that can help me improve my craft - would be cutting off my nose to spite my face. i've been writing pretty much since i turned 40, and thank every crtique i've ever received. i want to write the best poetry i can - even the best poets never stop growing, traveling along their path, and i've a long road to travel before becoming considered one of those!

Go to page:
Go to: