Jade-Pandora
Jade-Pandora
jade tiger
Tyrant of Words
United States
160awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 9th Nov 2015
Forum Posts: 4671

Pardon, please, but just curious... what is to "Whinge"?

Thanks.🐾

David_Macleod
David_Macleod
David Macleod
Tyrant of Words
United Kingdom
39awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 5th Nov 2014
Forum Posts: 2077

Jade-Pandora said:Pardon, please, but just curious... what is to "Whinge"?

Thanks.🐾

In Scotland, it means "To needlessly moan"

butters
butters
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom
1awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 17th Sep 2019
Forum Posts: 433

David_Macleod said:there are many reasons for people to allegedly "Whinge" and a greaty deal of it justified. There are many broken souls on this site and many other sites. Being open-minded to the possibility that someone at that point in time may feel fragile. I think the overall stipulation when dealing with others should be "Handle with care"

its not always bollocks, just sometimes :-))))))))))))))

broken souls

*sigh*

we all have our stories. it makes some of us stronger, others still struggle. but the OP was complaining about not getting views. i wonder how their comment to post ratio is.

i have a son with autism - he doesn't whinge but is full of creative energy; a transgender daughter who lives quietly, content with who she is but who doesn't rail at the world for having been born in the wrong skin; i spent 18 years in an abusive relationship with a genuine psycho - and every single day has been a good day for me since escaping him; everyone has a story, everyone has struggles. complain about something worthwhile complaining about... view on a poetry forum? really? not everyone has to embrace being a victim. there are poets with mental health issues, physical health issues, emotional issues - a guiding hand where it's asked for (or helpful) is a natural thing to offer for some of us; setting oneself up as defender of the underdog if they don't desire one's help can be intrusive. finding the balance, well - that's the key.

butters
butters
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom
Joined 17th Sep 2019

Jade-Pandora said:Pardon, please, but just curious... what is to "Whinge"?

Thanks.🐾

complain persistently and in a peevish or irritating way.
"stop whingeing and get on with it!"
synonyms:   complain, grouse, grouch, grumble, whine, moan, carp, mutter, murmur, whisper;

i honestly feel that complaining about the number of views your writes get is whingeing. do something about it. if you take the steps and your work still doesn't get the views/comments you feel it deserves, then perhaps find a site better suited to you. there are gazillions out there! (you as in anyone, not a specific person)

poet Anonymous

It's what a drunk says when talking about the final score of his favorite baseball team. "We whinge! :)

David_Macleod
David_Macleod
David Macleod
Tyrant of Words
United Kingdom
Joined 5th Nov 2014

butters said:

broken souls

*sigh*

we all have our stories. it makes some of us stronger, others still struggle. but the OP was complaining about not getting views. i wonder how their comment to post ratio is.

i have a son with autism - he doesn't whinge but is full of creative energy; a transgender daughter who lives quietly, content with who she is but who doesn't rail at the world for having been born in the wrong skin; i spent 18 years in an abusive relationship with a genuine psycho - and every single day has been a good day for me since escaping him; everyone has a story, everyone has struggles. complain about something worthwhile complaining about... view on a poetry forum? really? not everyone has to embrace being a victim. there are poets with mental health issues, physical health issues, emotional issues - a guiding hand where it's asked for (or helpful) is a natural thing to offer for some of us; setting oneself up as defender of the underdog if they don't desire one's help can be intrusive. finding the balance, well - that's the key.

I am glad you are such a strong person many folks are not.

AspergerPoet56
AspergerPoet56
Dangerous Mind
United Kingdom
6awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 4th Dec 2018
Forum Posts: 616

The thing about this, itís about perception and choice, the poets perceptio. That his poems deserve more reads and the choice to read or not, I had this issue in my head away back in March in my case was not many likes to the poems posted. Again my perception to the choice of others. I realised itís not whether or not someone reads it or likes it. Its whether your happy with what you posted, Iíve gotten to that stage weíre I think my words are worthy, its the choice of others to read comment or like. Just happy to be able to put my thoughts down without censorship. My autistic view

lepperochan
lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
64awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 12819

I don't think I've ever posted under erotica. outta 75 or 80 I've a handful which could be classed as erotic.. there could be a danger in thinking or putting low read count down to gender or genre...  kind of thinking might be counterproductive  in that it may take away from actual issues

*takes bow*  you're velcome

_boybrains
_boybrains
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom
2awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 10th July 2017
Forum Posts: 143

butters said:most people like eyes on their poems and, even better, some form of feedback.

it's sad a site has to stipulate that members should post comments on others' writes before posting their own, but it is 'a thing'... especially with newer writers: they're so excited at the opportunity to see their work up online, hoping to get the praise their hearts desire or to receive help to improve, that they are greedy; they post and post and post their own material but rarely look around to read and comment on the other poets there. it's natural, but needs discouraging.

the BEST way to get more views/comments is by putting yourself out there and taking the time to not be selfish. read other poems. THINK about them. offer your opinions. it's a time-consuming process that not only helps other writers, it has another huge benefit: it trains your mind to think more critically about the actual art of writing. it helps you identify weak or strong areas; helps your self-confidence as it builds on your skills; it helps you look at your own writing with more detachment when it comes to looking for problems and so it's all a learning circle. the more you THINK about poetry, the better you understand it.

all that other whingeing is bollocks, really.

Butters is right really,

Iíve been here since 2017 but for a while I wasnít posting my poetry, I just kept reading other poets I enjoyed reading
and also reading new writers in this community, itís a good way to learn veteran and new writers here amongst the DU and also what kind of writing & poetry appeals to you enough to comment and critique them, you will eventually find like minded people doesnít matter if theyíre male or female or anything else in between that

The best thing to do is read a wide range of poets, writing styles/forms and only comment/critique what you have enjoyed or what speaks to you personally, this is a choice iíve adopted throughout my time here on DU.

p.s imitation is the sincerest form of flattery my friend, take it as a compliment that they wasted the time to copy you, deep down only youíll know where it originally came from.

as for bullies and trolls eject them with the block or report button.. or stick your middle finger up if you wish to

Miss_Sub
Miss_Sub
- Missy -
Tyrant of Words
United Kingdom
98awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 26th June 2011
Forum Posts: 8078

_boybrains said:

The best thing to do is read a wide range of poets, writing styles/forms and only comment/critique what you have enjoyed or what speaks to you personally, this is a choice iíve adopted throughout my time here on DU.

True dat.

I do tend to reserve comment for poems which have provoked an emotional response rather than any other factor. That for me seems to be the greatest gauge of a poems successó If it made somebody feel something, regardless of gender, or clique you happen to be in, or length of time as a member here.

I often bang on about the random poem function, but itís a really great way of connecting with new poets. I read the poem and purposefully donít read who itís by until the end. Gets you outside the box.

Also in echo of Leppís comment and in reference to the OP of the thread, Iím sorry but 80% of so called Ďeroticí poetry on here is fkn pump ní dump shite. Most people who read it, and why the reader numbers are high is because people are looking for a quick feel, not because theyíre interested in poetry.

RexDurkin
RexDurkin
Fire of Insight
Australia
4awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 13th Jan 2019
Forum Posts: 90

Is it just me or do only the femme poets get their stuff read and lots of comments, likes and adds?
Femme poets aren't the only ones that get attention around here. I for one have to empty my inbox on a daily basis from all the love letters and offers for sex from many of the female members but that's what you get for being not only an incredibly gifted poet but also an all-round sexy beast.

Is it just me or do some poets steal others work by changing a few random words, just so they can impress a woman?
Well the solution to this problem is simple. Just make sure that your poems are so shit that no one would ever want to steal them in the first place. That method obviously couldn't work for me because my work is so amazing so I just make mine so extraordinarily original and distinct in style that no one could possibly pass it off as their own. ( I also cut and paste Shakespeare!)

Is it just me, or are there trolls among us who like bullying others who speak out by using false accounts to make them try to leave?
I personally run several troll accounts that I use specifically for giving you a hard time that's the sole reason why I signed up here. One of my favorite things to do is read your poems and then think of ways that I can tease you about them....it sure beats checking facebook when I'm sitting on the toilet!

Is it just me or do those men follow the most have a picture of their bottom cleavage or stocking tops?
That's the very reason I dont have for my avatar the famous photo of me called 'Rex reclining in a mankini'. It would simply be unfair to all the other members here If I were the one getting all the attention just because of my level of hotness so in the spirit of community cohesion I tone it down. You're welcome DUP!

Is it just me or am I the only one who despairs and feels like leaving again?
If it just me, then sorry and I will leave... Again

Oh Boo Hoo don't leave! If you leave then I'll leave which will cause a mass exodus domino effect of everyone pissing off.
Do stay! and read my poems. Study them. Learn from them. Meditate on them..................and perhaps one day, when you are as good as me, you'll get the women chasing you too and offering you airfares so that you can fly to their country for sex.

Nah just kidding.......................

You'll never be as good as me!

David_Macleod
David_Macleod
David Macleod
Tyrant of Words
United Kingdom
Joined 5th Nov 2014

Yeah it is great to get comments and critiques but at the end of the day I think If you only get one comment and the poem  has created any kind of emotional response then it has done its job :-)))))))))

poet Anonymous

I've had years of reviews on other sites and I appreciate them, but I've gotten to the point where they're not necessary as much anymore. If people get anything out of what I've written, great, but it's not going to change my life nor theirs I don't think.

Northern1
Northern1
Fire of Insight
Iceland
  profile   poems   message
Joined 15th Apr 2016
Forum Posts: 148

perhaps one day, when you are as good as me, you'll get the women chasing you too and offering you airfares so that you can fly to their country for sex.
[/quote]

i read airfaces and it blew my mind

butters
butters
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom
Joined 17th Sep 2019

Northern1 said:

i read airfaces and it blew my mind

Go to page: