Go to page:

Rain Check or Recipe, Please  : )

Tallen
earth_empath
Tyrant of Words
32awards
Joined 15th Oct 2018
Forum Posts: 2294

butters said:oh, this is the big joint of meat before it's been cured or cooked... basically, i need to make it into "ham". was just looking online and can use a cooler, but any plastic bins must be food grade unless i plan on putting everything in a great big ziplock bag and putting THAT in the cooler. not the plan.

it says i need to brine for about 1 day per 2lbs of my joint... so i'm looking at brining for a couple of weeks!

Maybe You can get an old tub at your local junkyard to soak the beastie?  

butters
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 3awards
Joined 17th Sep 2019
Forum Posts: 868

Tallen said:

Maybe You can get an old tub at your local junkyard to soak the beastie?  
i'll probably use the cooler box method, though i've gotta free up some space in one of the fridges as it has to be kept cold... for a LONG time!

we've an old fridge freezer out in the garage not in use, mainly because only one half works & i'm not sure if it's the fridge half or freezer half. best i find out :D

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14630

I Suwannee it took me forevah to find this thread!  The most difficult time of the year for me are the 'Dog Days of Summer' as noted in the southern U.S.  The thought of turning on my oven ( except for slight broiling )  despite air conditioning is horrifying: it invites the humidity from outdoors in to play.

Thus, I am constantly seeking new and exciting salads etc. I found one I absolutely LOVE, and it's become a staple in my fridge now. It's refreshing, healthy, and SO delicious!

Walnut Poppyseed Fruit Salad:

Two ripe pears ( chopped ) ( I've tried Bosque and Bartlett, but recommend Anjou )
Two cups seedless grapes ( halved )
One cup Walnuts ( chopped )

Dressing:

Two T Lemon Yogurt ( I use Qui - non GMO )
Two T Mayo ( I omit now but did initially try, thus I now use 4 T of lemon yogurt )
Two T Poppy seeds ( organic if possible )

Directions:

Mix fruit and walnuts in one bowl and dressing ingredients in another. Combine and chill for best results. I use Jacob's Pita bread. I have various sides; however, today I chose a broiled pear salad with walnuts and bleu cheese and fresh watermelon.

Serves Four.

I'm telling you, if you love fruit this salad is for you. Very filling, but leaves you light and refreshed. Also. . .its fun to play with! You can add, substitute according to taste.

Edit: and if you're worried about protein, don't. As a vegetarian I keep track of that:

—1 cup fruit salad: 6 grams
—Josephs Pita ( I stuff one side in the other so I'm eating a whole filled with only half the salad ): 6 grams
—Walnut Bleu Cheese salad: 17 grams
—Watermelon: 1 gram
—Roasted pear with bleu cheese and walnuts: 6 grams

Total protein: 36 grams

oOPS! Edit again: Poppy seeds. Unfortunately poppy seeds have 0 protein; however, on the flip side of the opium seed, they also have 0 carbs, fat, cholesterol and saturated fat. But don't underestimate the health values of these things. . .they're enormous!

poet Anonymous

Ahavati said:I Suwannee it took me forevah to find this thread!  The most difficult time of the year for me are the 'Dog Days of Summer' as noted in the southern U.S.  The thought of turning on my oven ( except for slight broiling )  despite air conditioning is horrifying: it invites the humidity from outdoors in to play.

Thus, I am constantly seeking new and exciting salads etc. I found one I absolutely LOVE, and it's become a staple in my fridge now. It's refreshing, healthy, and SO delicious!

Two ripe pears ( chopped ) ( I've tried Bosque and Bartlett, but recommend Aujou )

Dressing:

Two T Mayo ( I omit now but did initially try, thus I now use 4 T of lemon yogurt )

Directions:

Mix fruit and walnuts in one bowl and dressing ingredients in another. Combine and chill for best results. I use Jacob's Pita bread. I have various sides; however, today I chose a broiled pear salad with walnuts and bleu cheese and fresh watermelon.

I'm telling you, if you love fruit this salad is for you. Very filling, but leaves you light and refreshed. Also. . .its fun to play with! You can add, substitute according to taste.

yum yum
🍐 🍇 🍉
thank you
I think I already have almost all of this in the fridge!
Woo-hoo

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Bluevelvete said:

yum yum
🍐 🍇 🍉
thank you
I think I already have almost all of this in the fridge!
Woo-hoo

It's DELISH!

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5573

Apparently my taste extends only to friends, not food --- I just munched on a third of a loaf of French bread like it was the Great Depression.  Pathetic, right?

poet Anonymous

JohnnyBlaze said:Apparently my taste extends only to friends, not food --- I just munched on a third of a loaf of French bread like it was the Great Depression.  Pathetic, right?

Omg... Hee hee
I had gummy worms for breakfast- no judgment
*bread is the cure for all that ails.... mmm. Nom
#Truth
*wink
(I inject as a stranger.... hi there... haha)

Tallen
earth_empath
Tyrant of Words
32awards
Joined 15th Oct 2018

JohnnyBlaze said:Apparently my taste extends only to friends, not food --- I just munched on a third of a loaf of French bread like it was the Great Depression.  Pathetic, right?

I've been known to plow through an entire round of Olive Bread, drinking only water for my supper!!

Tallen
earth_empath
Tyrant of Words
32awards
Joined 15th Oct 2018

Ahavati said:I Suwannee it took me forevah to find this thread!  The most difficult time of the year for me are the 'Dog Days of Summer' as noted in the southern U.S.  The thought of turning on my oven ( except for slight broiling )  despite air conditioning is horrifying: it invites the humidity from outdoors in to play.

Two ripe pears ( chopped ) ( I've tried Bosque and Bartlett, but recommend Anjou )

Dressing:

Directions:

Serves Four.

Edit: and if you're worried about protein, don't. As a vegetarian I keep track of that:

—1 cup fruit salad: 6 grams
—Josephs Pita ( I stuff one side in the other so I'm eating a whole filled with only half the salad ): 6 grams
—Walnut Bleu Cheese salad: 17 grams
—Watermelon: 1 gram
—Roasted pear with bleu cheese and walnuts: 6 grams

Total protein: 36 grams

oOPS! Edit again: Poppy seeds. Unfortunately poppy seeds have 0 protein; however, on the flip side of the opium seed, they also have 0 carbs, fat, cholesterol and saturated fat. But don't underestimate the health values of these things. . .they're enormous!

I haven't gone Food shopping for the week yet and so everything here is on my list now!!

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

o O! give me some olive oil ( with spices and a bit of parmesan cheese sprinkled over the top ) to dip it in and I'm game!

Tallen said:

I haven't gone Food shopping for the week yet and so everything here is on my list now!!

Let me know what you think! I am contemplating how I can play with it regarding substitutions, etc.

Valeriyabeyond
Dhyana
Dangerous Mind
3awards
Joined 3rd May 2020
Forum Posts: 2668

Ahavati said:

Exactly! My father took me to work with him a few times when he was just stopping by to get something! I loved playing on the planes and even copped a few ( unofficial ) rides! He was Air Force!

So did I
I went to the Officers Mess and ate while waiting for my Dad who was Air Force and was able to sneak in a couple of rides in the Jet I have no idea which one it was it was "TOP SECRET" what a blast I was too little to see much something I will never forget

Valeriyabeyond
Dhyana
Dangerous Mind
3awards
Joined 3rd May 2020
Forum Posts: 2668

Tallen,
I believe you are speaking of a "perpetual soup" when you said you keep adding to the slow cooker from Friday to Monday.
That is an old world method of cooking still used in many parts of the world
To be safe, before eating you could add some lime to kill any bacteria that may have crept it's way in. The lime served with Corona Beer isn't just to look pretty it kills the bacteria that may be on the mouth of the bottle.
When you eat of the soup think of FIFO
First In First Out meaning, as you add to the pot the new ingredients go to the bottom, what you would be eating,  may be mushy,  but full of flavor and nutrients .In the  case of mush, you would add your par cooked or raw veges to the dish before eating like peas or carrots.
When making perpetual soup you must clean your crock every four days , empty the ingredients into a warmer keep at 140° nothing less than safe temp, wash your crock warm it back up with a little fresh water to 140° then add your soup back into the pot
Be mindful of the safe temp at all times
Also be certain your veges are washed thoroughly before adding to your pot you don't want to contaminate the entire crock with a tainted vege .Download an Emergency Broadcast app it will inform you of all the food borne illnesses in your are I will send a link to the one I use Recently there was a report of tainted onions the grocery didn't even know about
I have been cooking for my family for over 40 years and I can proudly say no one has ever gotten sick
Be safe Happy cooking

Edit- go to Emergency mail.org.
On the opening page click on the blue bars upper left of page scroll all the way down to subscribe
Enjoy

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Valeriyabeyond said:

So did I
I went to the Officers Mess and ate while waiting for my Dad who was Air Force and was able to sneak in a couple of rides in the Jet I have no idea which one it was it was "TOP SECRET" what a blast I was too little to see much something I will never forget

I always loved their stiff mashed potatoes! None of this smooth, velvety cream from a mixer! Nope; these were hand mashed with an old fashioned masher that often left chunks of actual potato! Divine!

I still make mine like that!

Tallen
earth_empath
Tyrant of Words
32awards
Joined 15th Oct 2018

Valeriyabeyond said:Tallen,
I believe you are speaking of a "perpetual soup" when you said you keep adding to the slow cooker from Friday to Monday.
That is an old world method of cooking still used in many parts of the world
To be safe, before eating you could add some lime to kill any bacteria that may have crept it's way in. The lime served with Corona Beer isn't just to look pretty it kills the bacteria that may be on the mouth of the bottle.
When you eat of the soup think of FIFO
First In First Out meaning, as you add to the pot the new ingredients go to the bottom, what you would be eating,  may be mushy,  but full of flavor and nutrients .In the  case of mush, you would add your par cooked or raw veges to the dish before eating like peas or carrots.
When making perpetual soup you must clean your crock every four days , empty the ingredients into a warmer keep at 140° nothing less than safe temp, wash your crock warm it back up with a little fresh water to 140° then add your soup back into the pot
Be mindful of the safe temp at all times
Also be certain your veges are washed thoroughly before adding to your pot you don't want to contaminate the entire crock with a tainted vege .Download an Emergency Broadcast app it will inform you of all the food borne illnesses in your are I will send a link to the one I use Recently there was a report of tainted onions the grocery didn't even know about
I have been cooking for my family for over 40 years and I can proudly say no one has ever gotten sick
Be safe Happy cooking

Edit- go to Emergency mail.org.
On the opening page click on the blue bars upper left of page scroll all the way down to subscribe
Enjoy

Thank You for the info.

Evidently, i've been doing this perpetual soup gig for a while but i had no idea of all the safety things i should be doing.  

Go to page:
Go to: