Go to page:

DU Podcast Thread

David_Macleod
Tyrant of Words
United Kingdom 39awards
Joined 5th Nov 2014
Forum Posts: 2983

ok I have a spiced rum in one hand - a cigarette in the other and I am ready for the podcast - I know I will have to wait but I am like a boy scout - I am Prepared :-)))))))

poet Anonymous

David_Macleod said:ok I have a spiced rum in one hand - a cigarette in the other and I am ready for the podcast - I know I will have to wait but I am like a boy scout - I am Prepared :-)))))))

Bloody Nora, you’ll be mullered by November 16th. 😂

David_Macleod
Tyrant of Words
United Kingdom 39awards
Joined 5th Nov 2014
Forum Posts: 2983

indeed

Josh
Joshua Bond
Tyrant of Words
Palestine 40awards
Joined 2nd Feb 2017
Forum Posts: 1664

Miss_Sub said:

Bloody Nora, you’ll be mullered by November 16th. 😂

After my poem on 'Flaming Ada' way back in my archive, I'm still intending to write a poem on both Bloody Nora and Gordon Bennett   :))

poet Anonymous

... Don’t forget Billy NoMates 😂

Josh
Joshua Bond
Tyrant of Words
Palestine 40awards
Joined 2nd Feb 2017

Miss_Sub said:... Don’t forget Billy NoMates 😂

That's a new one on me - I'll check him out  :))

Carpe_Noctem
Tyrant of Words
Spain 8awards
Joined 3rd Mar 2013
Forum Posts: 2915

Josh said:

That's a new one on me - I'll check him out  :))

Nigel no friends

Josh
Joshua Bond
Tyrant of Words
Palestine 40awards
Joined 2nd Feb 2017

Carpe_Noctem said:

Nigel no friends

O.K - look like I've got my work cut out now.

poet Anonymous

Looks like Mr Bennett actually existed, and here's the thing, appears to be from the USA! Wearing a coat indoors is met with "Here's Billy Phillips." Maybe a very localised thing. East Midlands me thinks.

I am surrounded by surfeit of Scouse-isms & I reside in Wales. "Come 'ed" "Soft lad" "Alright Laaa." In the Principality "tidy" seems to cover absolutely everything. I blame the Queen Mum!

Josh
Joshua Bond
Tyrant of Words
Palestine 40awards
Joined 2nd Feb 2017

Trouble_Loves_Me said:Looks like Mr Bennett actually existed, and here's the thing, appears to be from the USA! Wearing a coat indoors is met with "Here's Billy Phillips." Maybe a very localised thing. East Midlands me thinks.

I am surrounded by surfeit of Scouse-isms & I reside in Wales. "Come 'ed" "Soft lad" "Alright Laaa." In the Principality "tidy" seems to cover absolutely everything. I blame the Queen Mum!

Looks like you're right. Ecosia-Search tells me James Gordon-Bennet (1841-1918) founded the New York Herald in 1835. (His father had emigrated to the USA from Scotland). He became so wealthy with a lavish lifestyle that his name was used as an exclamation of surprise (as in whatever next?)
Being a Mancunian/Lancastrian, I always thought it was a local expression - much used where I grew up.

poet Anonymous

Manchester has such a unique cultural heritage. Must be something in the canal waters. Have fair few Manc mates - always telling me to "give me 'ead a wobble" & "stop talking bobbins." Relatively speaking, UK is such small country, yet there is rich tapestry of dialect and expressions. For this reason, I have never supported Welsh independence (can't talk of the Scottish perspective). And yes, Ireland belongs to the Irish. Imperialism has much to answer for. Anyways, I digress.  

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 14449

Apprieiate your views on the Emerald , and agree 100% . give it 10 years

Scottish, given its resources,  its revenue, and its percentage of peoples who loath the act of union  should get to vote at least every 10 years

Welsh, never really seemed too pushed either way, though there are Welsh independence movements they've hardly ever resorted to violence  ....Capt maybe when Tatcher sent in the police and horses when she shut down the mines...

Umm
Dangerous Mind
Latvia 1awards
Joined 6th Dec 2015
Forum Posts: 2373

best.thread.ever.

so looking forward to the next podcast! 🙌🏼❣️

Josh
Joshua Bond
Tyrant of Words
Palestine 40awards
Joined 2nd Feb 2017

lepperochan said:Apprieiate your views on the Emerald , and agree 100% . give it 10 years

Scottish, given its resources,  its revenue, and its percentage of peoples who loath the act of union  should get to vote at least every 10 years

Welsh, never really seemed too pushed either way, though there are Welsh independence movements they've hardly ever resorted to violence  ....Capt maybe when Tatcher sent in the police and horses when she shut down the mines...

I was in the NUM (National Union of Mineworkers) working for the Coal Board in North Manchester in 1974 when there was the 6-week strike that brought the (Conservative) Heath government down. Thatcher wanted revenge in 1984/5 with the next miner's strike. When I started in the 1970s, there were 220+ pits and 250,000 members of the NUM; by the time Thatcher had finished there were 25 pits max. I worked at one of them (Littleton Colliery near Cannock) which was on the list to 'never shut' because the coal seams were so good. It shut in 1993. But by then I had left to reinvent myself with another career.

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 14449

Thank you , lady

I'm particularly looking forward to this one. wouldn't believe the amount of time it took (mostly Missy) to put it all together

we're  still looking for peeps to take part in riskyquizness .

PM  if interested , all welcome

*hat tip"

Go to page:
Go to: